Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Obviously, we have to say Happy New Year!

Yes, postin’ pals, March means the vernal equinox, which means the joyous celebration of Nowruz throughout Iran and Central Asia! Let’s arrange our own spread of haft-seen by chatting about these seven S’s!
  • Scorch! With the importance of fire in both Zoroastrian religious observance, and in the mostly-secularized celebration of Nowruz, let’s talk about the most :krad: examples of fire-based superpowers in comics.

• Souls! On the Eastern liturgical calendar, the fifth of the month is one of 2016’s Soul Saturdays. What better way to honor this solemn event than by discussing the Queen of Soul herself? PYF idea for a comic based on Aretha Franklin’s life or music.

• Sparrow! Well gosh dang, it’s already time for another World Sparrow Day. Yes, friends, once again it’s time for the peoples of the world to celebrate Dark Claw’s sidekick, the pugnacious metamutant Sparrow!

• Sclerosis! March is National Multiple Sclerosis Awareness Month, and you should no-bullshit donate to the National MS Society or feel free to spend the entire month, and indeed much of the rest of your natural life, hating yourself.

• Satan! Chums, it’s time to give the devil a fair shake. Post your most sympathetic comics portrayals of Ol’ Scratch, or your most balls-crazy sympathetic interpretations of portrayals that make them sympathetic.

• Seward! The 28th of the month is Seward’s Day in Alaska, celebrating William H. Seward. Let’s honor the man’s success on the Anti-Mason Party ticket by talking about the best—also, the worst—secret societies in comics.

• Sundries! This is a chat thread, so just say any goddamn thing that comes to your head in here. As well, please divert any sustained derails into here.
There you are, BSS buds. Here’s wishing you all a March that is, as the old saying goes, even more successful than Sherman's!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Aw, I was gonna make the new thread. :(

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

In the dying embers of the old thread, I want to remind the world of the glory that is Leap Day since February ain't over yet for like 6 hours. Have there been any comic stories that revolved around Leap day? Any evil horror who comes to Earth every four years? Basically an evil Leap Day Williams.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dr. Hurt posted:

In the dying embers of the old thread, I want to remind the world of the glory that is Leap Day since February ain't over yet for like 6 hours. Have there been any comic stories that revolved around Leap day? Any evil horror who comes to Earth every four years? Basically an evil Leap Day Williams.

Leap Day is Superman's birthday, and he's not going to take any of that poo poo interrupting his birthday.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dr. Hurt posted:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Dr. Hurt posted:

In the dying embers of the old thread, I want to remind the world of the glory that is Leap Day since February ain't over yet for like 6 hours. Have there been any comic stories that revolved around Leap day?
                                                            Today's my birthday!
                                                                                    \

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Okay so it's some illegal immigrant in underwear's birthday or something, but did anything actually important ever happen on a leap day in comics?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I read through all of Copperhead Vol 1 Sunday. This whole "reading my huge-rear end backlog" thing would help me get more on top of my funnybook reading but so far it has just lead to me blitzing through an entire volume the last Sunday of each month. I'll pick a few books and ask which to read some time in the next couple days.

Copperhead I really liked for reasons I can't really put my finger on. Westerns in space isn't exactly a novel premise, but eh, art was pretty, writing works, and I'm a sucker for sci fi stuff :shobon:.

Unrelated: I'm moving in a month and I am not looking forward to moving my comic collection. I don't even care that much about their condition or anything like that (the most valuable book I own is an X-Statix omnibus for $40) but I don't really have any plans for moving them other than "toss every book I have into a small suitcase" which I'm fairly sure is going to end up with a book or two getting torn up in the car ride over to the new place :v:.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

DrProsek

your assigned mutant of the month

of March

is

SPARROW

by whom I mean H. R. O'Damia

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Brand new Smarch thread!

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

bobkatt013 posted:

Brand new Smarch thread!

Just because this was on my phone from having to explain to a coworker:

(Someone left a message in the back marked "do not touch - customers!!" Which some Joker scribbled a "good advice" on)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I know it's for little kids and I really shouldn't complain but DC Super Hero Girls is dogshit. The only personality between any of them is Harley being Pinkie Pie with a New Jersey accent, single other character is a generic girlie girl Bratz doll.

Speaking of Harley I rescind what I said in the Marvel chat about her old costume. I like it in some depictions a lot better than others, I'm not sure why but I just mainly hate it in the Bruce Timm's style.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Squizzle posted:

DrProsek

your assigned mutant of the month

of March

is

SPARROW

by whom I mean H. R. O'Damia

Be honest here, is this a truly random pick, or do you have issues of Blackwulf you're trying to unload? Because if so, joke's on you, I found it somewhere online :smugbert:... and now I can read Blackwulf

yay :shepface:

Speaking of random picks, my random choices for DrProsek's 2016 Backlog Reading for March:

DC: Supergirl vol 1 by Michael Green

Marvel: Alpha Flight vol 1 by Greg Pak

Non-Big 2: Invisible Republic vol 1 by Gabriel Hardman

Nuclear Option: Burn all 3 books, start again.

(For anyone wondering what this is, I bought a bunch of TPBs in 2015 that I never got around to so for 2016 I'm trying to get through at least 1 a month. These three are three random unread TPBs in my collection. If nobody cares I'll just roll a dice :v:)

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 2, 2016

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Squizzle posted:

[*]Souls! On the Eastern liturgical calendar, the fifth of the month is one of 2016’s Soul Saturdays. What better way to honor this solemn event than by discussing the Queen of Soul herself? PYF idea for a comic based on Aretha Franklin’s life or music.

I was going to say that 'souls' should mean this is the month we all pay tribute to Magik, but Aretha Franklin is also very good. Get Bill Sienkiewicz to illustrate a comic about Aretha. Boom.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

DrProsek posted:

Needs a manga option.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

WickedHate posted:

t I just mainly hate it in the Bruce Timm's style.

Whats wrong with Timm's style?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

Aw, I was gonna make the new thread. :(

You get the next one.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bobkatt013 posted:

Whats wrong with Timm's style?

I don't have a problem with Timm's style in general at all(although it does look really bad when translated to action figures and the like), just Harley Quinn specifically. I can't put my finger on why her classic outfit looks so much better by other artists. Maybe something about the eyes/face.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Whenever WickedHate says something you can usually assume the opposite is true. Bruce Timm rules. He worked on He-Man AND Batman: The Animated Series.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Travis343 posted:

Whenever WickedHate says something you can usually assume the opposite is true. Bruce Timm rules. He worked on He-Man AND Batman: The Animated Series.

He is awesome but the best design was done by Mike Mignola

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Travis343 posted:

Whenever WickedHate says something you can usually assume the opposite is true.

WickedHate posted:

I don't have a problem with Timm's style in general at all

What's your problem with Bruce Timm?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

bobkatt013 posted:

He is awesome but the best design was done by Mike Mignola

Mike Mignolia is usually the best in anything he gets involved with yeah.

WickedHate posted:

What's your problem with Bruce Timm?

nice try troll :destiny:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

X-O posted:

You get the next one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UCSZz3U7qU&t=6s

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Good luck on getting your wish on April 1 Lurdiak.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I watched that Juctice League Gods and Monsters movie. It was alright. Stuff like people getting smooshed and Superman saying "orgasm" didn't seem necessary tho. Like they only did that stuff cause they weren't on TV anymore and nobody could say no. Also, lol at the big threat being Dr. Magnus doing the Human Instrumentality Project.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Hernan is the best Superman ever, next to All Star.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

WickedHate posted:

Hernan is the best Superman ever, next to All Star.

not really

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DrProsek posted:

Speaking of random picks, my random choices for DrProsek's 2016 Backlog Reading for March:

Invisible Republic because I've never heard of it.

I really ought to do this. In fact, when I get home, I'll grab some books and make this thread pick one!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I love Invisible Republic. It's a good read.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

X-O posted:

I love Invisible Republic. It's a good read.

Endless Mike posted:

Invisible Republic because I've never heard of it.

I really ought to do this. In fact, when I get home, I'll grab some books and make this thread pick one!

Invisible Republic it is :tipshat:. I meant to add this to my pulllist but forgot until it was already like 5 issues in. All I remember about it is it's about a journalist writing a piece on Space Hitler 30XX which had me sold enough to buy the TPB (also I was looking for something on Amazon to fill a ~$10 gap before I got free shipping).

I was considering making a Backlog reading thread but never really bothered to check if there was any interest in it. If other people are trying to burn through their backlogs, I could start a thread about it so the chat thread doesn't get weighed down by it. :v:

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

DrProsek posted:

Invisible Republic it is :tipshat:. I meant to add this to my pulllist but forgot until it was already like 5 issues in. All I remember about it is it's about a journalist writing a piece on Space Hitler 30XX which had me sold enough to buy the TPB (also I was looking for something on Amazon to fill a ~$10 gap before I got free shipping).

I was considering making a Backlog reading thread but never really bothered to check if there was any interest in it. If other people are trying to burn through their backlogs, I could start a thread about it so the chat thread doesn't get weighed down by it. :v:

:justpost:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Backlog.

BACKLOG.

BACKLOG.

BACKLOG.

BACKLOG.

:kheldragar:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I vote Stray Bullets.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 3, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

In fairness, a lot of it is stuff I have already read but repurchased or whatever.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Backlog.

BACKLOG.

BACKLOG.

BACKLOG.

BACKLOG.

:kheldragar:

im the *stares at pictures* the... *eyes dart all over the screen* im...theeeee... *opens images in photo editor, zooms in* i...am... *turns up screen brightness* the, uh...unswept corner? hmm, no...im actually the, erm... *furrows brow intensely* hmmmm...........

well if there's anything comical or embarrassing in those pictures, that's what i am :reject:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Read Original Sin to get it out of the way and make room for good comics :D

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Squizzle posted:

im the *stares at pictures* the... *eyes dart all over the screen* im...theeeee... *opens images in photo editor, zooms in* i...am... *turns up screen brightness* the, uh...unswept corner? hmm, no...im actually the, erm... *furrows brow intensely* hmmmm...........

well if there's anything comical or embarrassing in those pictures, that's what i am :reject:

You can be the softcover Bill & Ted collections and the hardcover Bill & Ted collections.

Anyone want the softcovers?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'm the $55+ comic that's been sitting on your shelf unread for 2 years.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

I'm the $55+ comic that's been sitting on your shelf unread for 2 years.

You need to be more specific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Real comic fans have a minimum of five unread omnibuses on their shelves.

• Locked thread