Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

DrProsek posted:

Part of the All-New Rebirth relaunch we got going on in BSS. March now has 31 days, February and January have merged to form Jebuary, and Xotsender is a new month inserted between June and July so the J months can catch a break.

I actually think you'll find the month is called Jeb!uary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

redbackground posted:

One of my uh, "favorites" is the last issue of Ravage 2099 (#33). For most of the series, Ravage has been cultivating this island of freaks and weirdo characters out in the ocean as their refuge away from the rest of society and has also been fighting this archnemesis whose name I can't remember. The last issue consists of (President) Doom 2099 swooping in, killing off the arch in like no time flat with no effort, pouring liquid adamantium all over the island and its inhabitants (including Ravage) and chucking the whole drat thing into space because gently caress 'em, the end.

It's doubly weird because in the "World of Doom" special they put out, the writer talks about Ravage ending (this came out before Ravage 33) and says the ending will be Doom opening a portal to the "Land of Beasts" that Ravage had been searching for and lets the mutants go there unscathed. Sometime between the publication of that special and #33, someone must have reasoned "Who gives a gently caress, it's Ravage. Have Doom destroy him."

Such a weird book, Ravage changed its premise almost every 10 issues in a desperate attempt to find something that worked. He went from Future Lobo to Future Wolverine to Future Hulk

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sigh... a relative I trusted with storing tons of my comics threw/gave them all out because they were "taking up too much room".

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'll get the kerosene.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm actually more upset about losing my back issues of Nintendo Power.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lurdiak posted:

Sigh... a relative I trusted with storing tons of my comics threw/gave them all out because they were "taking up too much room".

Did they not even bother to give you an opportunity to do anything about it? Christ, what an rear end in a top hat.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

No jury would convict you.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

This sounds like a case for the Living Tribunal!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's why I'm all digital baby.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
All my LCBS's latest issues got held up in customs because the workers are on strike :ussr:

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 31, 2016

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

zoux posted:

That's why I'm all digital baby.

That's what I was thinking but then he went on to say they lost his old Nintendo Powers too and that is the true hate crime that has taken place here.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I was probated as part of the charity drive thing, which was nice, because I was actually really considering taking a break from posting anyway.

Lurdiak posted:

My grandmother threw out all my dad's comics one day when he was a kid without even telling him about it. He used them to teach himself to read.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Lurdiak, if you ever need us to go out and recollect a stash of X-Force #1's to replace what you've lost, you just let us know.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is kind of interesting, this guy wrote a blog post about why he quit working at an LCS and why he's glad he did. I figured it would be a bunch of stories about your stereotypical MRA casual-hating neckbeards but it was speculators that drove him out.

I thought the comic book speculation market was completely dead, I didn't realize people were still trying to fund their retirement through foil covers.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
What do you think variant covers are? They may be nicer to look at in most cases, but it's the same thing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

This is kind of interesting, this guy wrote a blog post about why he quit working at an LCS and why he's glad he did. I figured it would be a bunch of stories about your stereotypical MRA casual-hating neckbeards but it was speculators that drove him out.

I thought the comic book speculation market was completely dead, I didn't realize people were still trying to fund their retirement through foil covers.

Nobody actually uses the Overstreet guide, that guy is full of poo poo.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I stopped reading after the first paragraph were he tells us how mature and not a nerd he is.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Soonmot posted:

I stopped reading after the first paragraph were he tells us how mature and not a nerd he is.

I stopped at "Punisher shoots black people".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Uh Punisher does attract the worst kinds of fans though.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

:D

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

Those guys are terrible but you can't say anything because they always have a tons of cash to drop and you don't want them going elsewhere.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Plus they probably have guns.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm reading the Ennis run right now and I don't want to meet the kind of people that are like "hell yeah" rather than "yikes" about the violence/language in the book.

I mean it's great with stories, characters and some lines but some of that poo poo, eesh.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Plus they probably have guns.

I guess?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zoux posted:

I'm reading the Ennis run right now and I don't want to meet the kind of people that are like "hell yeah" rather than "yikes" about the violence/language in the book.

I mean it's great with stories, characters and some lines but some of that poo poo, eesh.

Hint: We give them high powered weapons and inadequate oversight and send them to other countries we don't like.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

zoux posted:

That's pretty much everyone who wears a Punisher shirt/hat in public.

I remember some people being really mad that actually acting like the Punisher and horribly murdering people after getting the info you need from them in the PS2 game would cost you points and be portrayed as the wrong thing to do, but I thought it was kinda brilliant. You shouldn't want to be Frank.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Did they not even bother to give you an opportunity to do anything about it? Christ, what an rear end in a top hat.

Serves me right for thinking I can count on them for the extremely simple task of "having a box in their house".

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 31, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

That's pretty much everyone who wears a Punisher shirt/hat in public.

My dad got a Punisher shirt recently but I don't think he's actually read anything of the character since the 90s.

zoux posted:

But there's parts that's actually supposed to make you feel that way and portrays individual actions as glamorous. It's like the problem with war films making battles too cool, I guess.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Punisher got the single most perfect page in all of comics in Secret War #1, though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

Punisher got the single most perfect page in all of comics in Secret War #1, though.

"Live every day like it's your last Frank" *murders literally everyone*

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

I like these comics a lot, but I don't ever want to be Frank Castle, nor would I ever want to hang out with folks who like him in that way. The book should make you uncomfortable. That means you're still human.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I saw a bunch of these stickers to buy at a gas station yesterday:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Toph Bei Fong posted:

I like these comics a lot, but I don't ever want to be Frank Castle, nor would I ever want to hang out with folks who like him in that way. The book should make you uncomfortable. That means you're still human.

Even Ennis has punisher talking about how he is not doing it to make the world a better place

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Frank Castle is not Chris Kyle.

bobkatt013 posted:

Even Ennis has punisher talking about how he is not doing it to make the world a better place

Theoretically speaking if someone has intense urges to do violence and the like, Punisher-ing is a good direction to aim that in, assuming it's not racially or nationalistically motivated or something.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I like the comics a lot, I don't like the use of racial slurs or rape threats; I think that is exploitative use of hate speech to enhance the badguyosity of a villain (cheap and easy too). I thought I knew what I was getting into but the "sand-n****r" and "raghead" stuff really bothered me.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

WickedHate posted:

Frank Castle is not Chris Kyle.

Theoretically speaking if someone has intense urges to do violence and the like, Punisher-ing is a good direction to aim that in, assuming it's not racially or nationalistically motivated or something.

That is still mass murder.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

Yeah ok.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

WickedHate posted:

Even putting aside the fact that it would still be horribly wrong, that assumes a level of infallibility a human is probably incapable of.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bobkatt013 posted:

That is still mass murder.

Moral mass murder. Alliteration!

Lurdiak posted:

Even putting aside the fact that it would still be horribly wrong, that assumes a level of infallibility a human is probably incapable of.

Humans are also incapable of sticking to walls and popping metal claws out of their hands. :shrug:

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 31, 2016

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

WickedHate posted:

Moral mass murder. Alliteration!

Humans are also incapable of sticking to walls and popping metal claws out of their hands. :shrug:

Why decides what's moral and what's not? You are basically saying that we should get rid of the courts and have public executions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hmm looks like a season of Daredevil just broke out in chat thread.

• Locked thread