Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
##Vote

1)A

Just started reading, this is awesome.

Not really interested in reading drama when there's logistics and space explosions to worry about.

Pretty sure grabbing supplies, as many people as we can carry and as many ships as can keep up and cyro sleeping to the nearest potential world is the best bet.

If we've got a long term fuel source and hydroponics we should be more or less self sufficient.,

Outrail fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
##vote

1)D

Sorry guys, bleeding hearts kill bodies and we need to live.

Pick up the acting commander and remaining loyalists.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

TheCog posted:

Probably update tomorrow, have other stuff to get done tonight. I haven't counted, but I think talking with the rebels in some capacity is winning?

To distract them as we plan to charges on their airlocks? Sounds good to me!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
That last one is a good one. "If you think this is a bad idea and want to go back to earth and probably die with the rest of humanity go ahead. I'm not going to stop you and it's your right, I want everyone who's on board on board (captain's joke there hahaha oh god)".

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
##Vote
1)A
2)F

Lol! We're their only hope and they want to gently caress with us?

Also, after we've snatched the loyalists tell the traitors they can have a freighter and enough supplies to get back to earth if they GTFO asap, make no transmissions and leave the rest of the supplies. Any deviation from that option will see the forfeiture of all equipment, ships and resources including their lives by way of a giant loving missile.

Anyone who wants to go with them back to earth is welcome to go with no hard feelings.

If we encounter any booby traps we will blow them up.

If they attempt anything dumb we will blow them up.

If they look at us funny we will blow them up.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 12, 2016

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
If he lives it'll mean they have a better chance if success. If it's a TPK than its one less military type leader to rise up in mutiny.

##vote

A

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Day Man posted:

##Vote
1. A

You don't get to be the head of marine security on the navy's only stealth ship if you don't know how to handle things like this. Let him make the call on how to best handle this situation. I'm sure he has dealt with booby traps before. It's not like marines don't have any experience fighting insugencies.

Have fun on your trip! I'll be lookingforward to the next installment when you return!

##vote

1. A

All that. Also tell him we don't want any casualties. Zero tolerance. Don't get anyone killed. Seriously.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
They were threatening to wipe us all out, whether they knew it or not. We need those supplies but we don't need the mutineers. We do need our people if we are indeed at the minimum threshold for genetic viability. Every man or woman we lose is another stranger we have to source from somewhere.

I can't wait until we get the chance to implement an eugenics program.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Oh, I thought this was our only real stop.

Who's at the science station?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
We definitely need to pick up some scientists that have violated earth ethical codes and are likely working on all manner of dark poo poo up there. Up that science bonus/meddle in things that man was not meant to see/gaze into the abyss etc.

Also out of the box thinkers are more likely to come up with out of the box MESSENGER murdering tech.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
##Vote
1. D
2. M
3. U

Fuuuck. Love that descriptive imagery.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
gently caress, I though pinnacle was what they were called.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I'll throw in with Tran.

Make it clear that if people don't do whatever they can to save other people their actions will weigh on their future opportunities.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
For the betterment of everyone it's probably a good idea to have someone who isn't squeamish about mutiny when the captain loses his or her mind.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Where did Phobos deorbit too?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
What happened when they shoved something halfway through and tried to pull it back? Like a dog or snake or monkey in a spacesuit? Or on a rope?

Because if I was a researcher on a black site that would be the first thing Id want to do. And if I was head if research on a black site laboratory and my researchers hadn't done this I'd be furious.

It took me all of five minutes to think of this so it had to have come up during meetings.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
What happened when they shot something into the back of it, like a watermelon or a tank of spiders? Same thing?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

TheCog posted:

On the topic of spiders, test 72 was a basically a tank of snails which they had fly by but not enter the anomaly, to see if it emitted any kind of radiation harmful to biological sources that they were not picking up. The twelve snails were fine, and they're still in the fungus research lab.

What flora and fauna species are present with regards to both food and research subjects? And what is our ability to propagate ad infinitum?

If we end up on some dead planet with nothing but vat grown fungus burgers on vat grown fungus buns with a side of vat grown fungus we might as well accept the inevitable and take a stroll out the airlock now.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Is biotechnology at a level that we can create a slavishly loyal monkey-human hybrid servant class in the unlikely event we space the majority of humanity into the unfeeling void of space in response to a real or imagined mutiny?

Either way once earth is gone we can eat a species to extinction at an officer's dinner. What an Honor to be present at that banquet while the non-ranking eat their fungal gruel.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Yes please, I'd also like a rundown of the doomed extra solar colonization efforts.

I'll guess the first one was doomed after they forgot something critical, and the church sponsored trip schismed itself into oblivion over interpretation of God's will.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

sheep-dodger posted:

Oh, since it seems like we'll be taking the gate option: I'd propose that we prepare a message to be sent just after we go through the gate, which should give enough time for everyone to prepare their goodbyes without endangering is too much, especially if we end up blowing the popsicle stand behind us.

This seems like a good idea, along with rigging the portal with a bunch of proximity bombs on a timer, so if the messengers get within, ~1km it blows. But if we come back through it we have ~1minute to transmit a defuse code. That way if it's able to be powered on from the other wise we can fill the Sol system with hellfire and revenge style murder tech in the future.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Just a thought. How hard would it be to rig up one or two 'shuttles' with a few adults and a bunch of human embryos (of course the black site has embryos on ice), cyropods, a small reactor and a thruster unit? Then include a bunch of voyager style instructions/messages for who/whatever finds then and after ~100 years transmit a directional distress signal. Blast them into space at random.

The hope being that if we do jump through the hoop and it turns out to be doom via trash can/center of a sun/messenger home world/etc at least we've given the human race a very small chance. Plus I'm sure there's some people who rather do that than jump into the gate.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

LowellDND posted:

You poor dumb bastards.

But they planned for everything!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Yeah, this is a great read

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
ABEE

The rational behind this is depressingly pragmatic. If the behemoth is lost we lose majority of humanity but can survive as we should have a viable population and an excess of supplies.

If we do the opposite we lose all the supplies and a massive amount of people will die anyway. Also if there's a massive revolution we can just blow up the behemoth and skip off.

Do t forget to set proximity charges on the gate so noone can follow us.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 4, 2016

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Life is the CYOA curse. Life, job or posting, choose two.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
##Vote
C

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Horay, I really like this one, was getting worried the curse had eaten it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Oh yeah, glad you're still going.

Ignore the dream, take some antianxiety meds and get to work on fulfilling our destiny as space dumpster trash cosmic explorers.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
FCBC

But if we see that the messengers aren't responding to us leaving slow it down even more.

Have a good mix of ships going through, with first one being the most self sustainable, in case there's time shenanigans and it ends up being a time dilation thing and they have to wait a month or something for each ship to come through.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I hope this is still going on! For interest, here's a Cracked article spelling out why we need every person possible to make it with us for breeding purposes. Basically we need around 40,000 people to maintain genetic variability, it's doable with 10,000 and any less than that starts to court future disaster.

Number 4. http://www.cracked.com/article_24226_5-ways-that-sci-fi-movies-totally-ignore-actual-science.html.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I dropped out of genetics as quick as I could, so I'm just going by the pop culture website.

I do remember reading somewhere that a few hundred was good enough, but it's going to start looking pretty homogeneous pretty quick unless then genetic fuckery going on.

All on board for aggressive genetic tampering though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Ignore the above, both you and the captain need to take a few hard slugs of Dutch courage and just do it.

• Locked thread