Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Detective No. 27 posted:

The name "Captain Marvel" has a long weird legal history. As I remember, DC owns the character, but not the trademark for "Captain Marvel." They can refer to him as "Captain Marvel" within the contents of the books as much as they want. Which is why they've been using "SHAZAM!" on the covers dating back to the 70s when they were merely licensing the character. The New 52 change seems to have been made to simplify it for everyone. The wizard these days is still named Shazam, but he's usually just referred to as "The Wizard" or "The Wizard Shazam."

Not to mention that if Marvel Comics doesn't use a character named Captain Marvel after a while, the trademark goes to DC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Luminous Obscurity posted:

I would've preferred a 300 treatment of Sherman's March, but sure.

YESSSSSS

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

The wizard is Shazam, the superhero is Shazam's Monster

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Brother Entropy posted:

The wizard is Shazam, the superhero is Shazam's Monster

I got a good chuckle.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

All I know is that I want to Shazam a Shazam trailer.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CaptainYesterday posted:

Not to mention that if Marvel Comics doesn't use a character named Captain Marvel after a while, the trademark goes to DC.

Which is why Marvel has never let the trademark lapse and never will.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Pretty good but short interview with Snyder on BvS http://www.comicbookmovie.com/batman_vs_superman/zack-snyder-says-theres-no-winning-anymore-for-superman-in-a131609

I like this quote:

quote:

When we find [Clark], he's been dealing with the everyday world of being a superhero, but there's a paradigm shift happening in that the unintended consequences of some of those rescues are starting to come into fruition. He's starting to see that every action has a reaction. Like, if you're just taking a cat out of a tree, you can't touch anything or the arborists will say, 'He damaged the tree branch when he got the cat down.' Or, 'The cat wasn't neutered, so now there's thousands of cats.' There's no winning anymore for Superman."

I'll take that as a metaphor for everyone who bitched about Man of Steel not being their Superman. :haw:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
*Lex Luthor creating Doomsday in a lab with Zod's body after logging off of AICN's comments page* "At least, the world will get to see MY Superman."

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

quote:

One person told me that the last act plays out as an emotional horror movie because the film gives both Tony and Steve solid reasoning, and because it truly makes you feel the depths of this schism.

I hope that person is getting paid, because otherwise, yeeeeesh.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

wyoming posted:

Emotional Horror Movie is the new Political Thriller.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FlamingLiberal posted:

So the two fight, along with the other Avengers. I assume someone is going to get killed off to make the stakes higher. Rhodey is the most obvious choice since that's super personal for Tony.

A couple of leaks have said that brainwashed Bucky is revealed to have been the one who murdered Stark's parents as Winter Soldier alluded to, which also enrages Stark.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

wyoming posted:

The tension sounds unbearable ...

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

AngryBooch posted:

Emotional Horror Movie is the new Political Thriller.

No Nigh Unbearable Tension.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Was it nigh? I forgot. That post was funny though.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
You'd think he'd be sympathetic to the idea of someone who did bad things while brainwashed. He forgave his big green buddy pretty quickly. He also had to murder his father's longtime business partner. It'll be a tough road to hoe if they really want Tony to come off as evenly justified compared to Steve - I kind of figured he'd be the villainous Batman to Steve's morally righteous Superman.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Tony's just jealous of their relationship.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
It's row to hoe. Who hoes a road?

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

wyoming posted:

The whole thing reads like it was written by someone paid to make it sound like everything about the movie is beautiful and nothing hurts

I hope it's good but there's such a thing as overeffusive praise.

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Phylodox posted:

It's row to hoe. Who hoes a road?

Your mom.

Goddamn it, it was too tempting.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Dreylad posted:

So it's better than the comic version. Cool.

We won't know this until we hear Chris Evans talk about Myspace and NASCAR.

Luminous Obscurity posted:

I would've preferred a 300 treatment of Sherman's March, but sure.

If you're going to 300 something, I suggest The Battle of New Orleans in the War of 1812. Jackson, militia, freedmen, slaves and pirates vs. the thousand nations of the British Empire. And then it turned out it was just for bragging rights because the war had been over for two weeks.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Oh these are just adorable.

Batman is the only one not smiling.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Batman is so unhappy to be there while Wonder Woman is in a good mood.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Apparently, a Suicide Squad sequel is already planned with Ayer and Smith returning. It's mentioned in this article about Will Smith starring in a David Ayer movie about an orc cop written by Max Landis.

http://www.thewrap.com/will-smith-joel-edgerton-to-star-in-david-ayers-cop-thriller-bright/

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The MSJ posted:

Apparently, a Suicide Squad sequel is already planned with Ayer and Smith returning. It's mentioned in this article about Will Smith starring in a David Ayer movie about an orc cop written by Max Landis.

http://www.thewrap.com/will-smith-joel-edgerton-to-star-in-david-ayers-cop-thriller-bright/

This sounds kinda Top Ten-ish to me, for some reason. It's clearly not, but there you go.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

The MSJ posted:

Should be a Savage Dragon movie, IMO

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

berserker posted:

Should be a Savage Dragon movie, IMO

Hell yes! Plus if it includes popular side characters like Mako the shark gangster, we'll finally have a street shark on film.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Heavy Metal posted:

Hell yes! Plus if it includes popular side characters like Mako the shark gangster, we'll finally have a street shark on film.

FYI we basically got that in this season of The Flash and it's awesome

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

berserker posted:

Here it is in case anyone missed it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBV39GrdRdQ

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
That's pretty loving impressive for a TV show.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

berserker posted:

I'm disappointed you did not use that chance to say it was jawsome.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

That's pretty loving impressive for a TV show.

This is a good description for pretty much all the CW shows.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Wow that looks cool. But Flash is a bad show right.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
Flash is a loving great show that has a few flaws here and there and sometimes realizes "oh yeah we're on the CW" but it's for the most part loving great. But I don't really want to get on a TV tangent here.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

berserker posted:

Flash is a loving great show that has a few flaws here and there and sometimes realizes "oh yeah we're on the CW" but it's for the most part loving great. But I don't really want to get on a TV tangent here.

Does it make you like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_lGaBPbJLM

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm watching Ghost Rider 2 randomly on Netflix and it's... good!?

loving Pink Floyd album cover during the Devil Exposition montage.

Nicolas Cage being completely off his meds.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

net cafe scandal posted:

Wow that looks cool. But Flash is a bad show right.

It's been kind of a mess this season but is still mostly fun. The three main issues are that they are basically rehashing the main villain storyline form the first season, they are making the Flash more mopey (when first season he was super positive in direct contrast to Arrow) and they are cramming a lot of characters and storylines and spreading them thin. You still get talking Sharks and Gorillas, time travel, parallel Earths, cool speedster fights and all that other fun poo poo, but with some boring crap in between.

I've been a fan of the Flash since I was like 5 and found some of my cousins comics and then the original show came out like a year later, and I am also kind of a weepy man child in general. That being said, I don't think I have ever reacted like that. I think Smith might be borderline emotionally unstable at this point.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Oh my god he's riding the giant wheel thing and now it's on fire.

Edit: And now we get Christoph Lambert as a crazy priest!

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 3, 2016

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Pretty extensive article about the way the DCEU is being built

Some stuff stood out to me

quote:

The DC movie braintrust says they still had to be careful. They had to wait, they had to plan. They had to do some Batman-level strategizing.

“You have to get each individual movie right, and that’s been our focus. We pushed the release date of Batman v Superman to March. It was supposed to be out last year,” says Silverman. “The gift of time that [we gave it] allowed it to live up to its full potential, and for anybody else thinking of doing it, that’s the thing to do. Every movie has to be treated as if it’s the only movie — while you’re falling in love with how they’re all going to connect.”

How did BvS make use of that extra year? If they were going to introduce other “metahumans” for the future Justice League film, they’d need to cast them: Gadot as Wonder Woman, Ray Fisher as Cyborg, Ezra Miller as the Flash, Jason Momoa as Aquaman. But to cast these roles, they also wanted input from the directors of those individual spin-offs (Patty Jenkins for Wonder Woman, Seth Grahame-Smith for Flash, James Wan for Aquaman), which meant they’d need stories to recruit those filmmakers. Even Affleck is considering co-writing and directing a future stand-alone Batman film.

Not every piece had to be in position to start, but they had to begin setting up those other movies to make sure BvS could properly introduce as many of new characters from the DC universe as it could while still telling a story that stood on its own.

“[Green Lantern] is an incredible character. He’s actually multiple incredible characters,” Silverman says. “There’s real opportunity there. We didn’t do a great job on that first Green Lantern movie. This is a character who deserves to be treated in the same way that Batman and Superman and Wonder Woman are being treated now, which is with great reverence. I guess I can say to the Green Lantern fans: if they can be patient with us, I think they’ll be really happy.”

But how patient? Rovens says we may not see Hal Jordan, John Stewart, or any incarnation of Green Lantern until Justice League – Part Two. Maybe. “Every beat of the movie is not yet worked out. So there’s the possibility that he may or may not be in Justice League 2,” the producer says. “For now, we felt that we were introducing enough characters that the best possible place we could put Green Lantern is some introduction in Justice League 2, or barring that, a movie after.” (:cry:)

If BvS sounds crowded, it actually got smaller as time went on. The PG-13 movie’s 2 hour 31 minute runtime will expand further with an R-rated “Ultimate Edition” on home video, featuring even more brutal fight scenes as well as additional hints at future films. There’ll also be some new characters, including a secret one played by Jena Malone, who was cut from the theatrical release.

The shared universe took so long to coordinate not just because of business machinations, but because the DC movie braintrust had to make sure that each character felt distinct and strong. Nobody wants their favorite comic book hero to become somebody else’s sidekick. And Warner Bros. executives learned from 2011’s Green Lantern that getting it wrong can set their movie plans back for many years.

Geoff Johns, chief creative officer at DC Entertainment and an executive producer of BvS, says the challenge is not just making the heroes fit together, but ensuring that they stand apart.

“The hardest piece, and probably the most rewarding, was Wonder Woman,” Snyder says. “You have to establish her but don’t give it away; don’t cash it all in. She’s enough in the movie where you definitely feel her presence. And she makes a huge impact on the film. But there are giant mysteries still surrounding her at the end of the movie.”

Wonder Woman’s role also marks not just the expansion of the DC movie universe, but a recognition that the audience for these movies is growing, too. It can’t just be a boys’ club anymore. “I can’t get over the fact that she’s going to be 75 years old and this is the first time she’s gracing the silver screen,” says Deborah Snyder, who’s also producing the Wonder Woman stand-alone film. “I think all these things — truth and love and wanting peace and all the things that she represents – is something that we all look up to and would want. In order for women to believe that they can do this, they have to see it.”

Snyder and co-writer Chris Terrio (who won an Oscar for Argo) cleverly jiu-jitsu a common complaint about Man of Steel to explain why Batman hates Superman so much: he blames him for the death and the destruction the hero unleashed on Metropolis in his battle with General Zod.

“The idea that there are more, that’s hopeful and also terrifying to him,” says Affleck. “Because then they could make humans even more powerless – or they could serve on our side.” This is a Batman who has been at it for nearly two decades, and he’s both tired and a little hopeless.

The trailer features a Robin uniform, covered with Joker graffiti, which implies the Boy Wonder has been killed in a previous story. He’s starting to wonder if he ever really saved anyone – or just made things worse. “He’s projecting his own sense of failure, his own sense of disillusionment, his own cynicism onto Superman,” Affleck says.

But the Robin suit is another example of groundwork BvS is laying for other movies. “We’ll be exploring that,” says Johns, who has consulted on the full slate. “No one says specifically the name of which Robin that is.”

The film is laced with dream sequences for both Batman and Superman that hint at dangers to come – including the possible appearance of DC’s galactic ultra-villain Darkseid. The Flash (played by Miller) appears in one such nightmare of Bruce Wayne’s, delivering a cryptic message to the Dark Knight.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The film is laced with dream sequences for both Batman and Superman that hint at dangers to come – including the possible appearance of DC’s galactic ultra-villain Darkseid. The Flash (played by Miller) appears in one such nightmare of Bruce Wayne’s, delivering a cryptic message to the Dark Knight.

Huh, I guess that's one way to do the cameos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

computer parts posted:

Huh, I guess that's one way to do the cameos.

This is not an Elseworlds or an Imaginary Story!

• Locked thread