Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Biggest candidate for first round exit?
This poll is closed.
Kentucky 3 3.80%
Duke 16 20.25%
Gonzaga, it's always Gonzaga 11 13.92%
Iowa 24 30.38%
Indiana 12 15.19%
Wofford, you loving idiot 13 16.46%
Total: 79 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
It's March, and I believe Madness is involved.

TOURNAMENT SCHEDULE: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/schedules/conference-tournament

2016 CONFERENCE TOURNAMENTS
CONFERENCE TOURNAMENT SITE DATES (TV FOR CHAMPIONSHIP)
AAC Orlando, Fla. March 10-13 (ESPN)
ACC Washington D.C. March 8-12 (ESPN)
America East Campus sites March 2, 7 & 12 (ESPN2)
Atlantic 10 Brooklyn March 9-13 (CBS)
Atlantic Sun Campus sites March 1, 3 & 6 (ESPN2)
Big East New York March 9-12 (FOX)
Big Sky Reno, Nev. March 8, 10-12 (TBA)
Big South Buies Creek, N.C. March 3-6 (ESPN)
Big Ten Indianpolis March 9-13 (CBS)
Big 12 Kansas City March 9-12 (ESPN)
Big West Anaheim March 10-12 (ESPN2)
Colonial Baltimore March 4-7 (NBCSN)
Conference USA Birmingham, Ala. March 8-12 (FS1)
Horizon League Detroit March 5-8 (ESPN/ESPN2)
Ivy League No conference tournament
MAAC Albany, N.Y. March 3-7 (ESPN)
MAC Cleveland, Ohio March 7, 10-12 (ESPN2)
MEAC Norfolk, Va. March 7-12 (TBA)
Missouri Valley St. Louis March 3-6 (CBS)
Mountain West Las Vegas March 9-12 (CBS)
Northeast Campus sites March 2, 5, 8 (ESPN/ESPN2)
Ohio Valley Nashville March 2-5 (ESPN2)
Pac-12 Las Vegas March 9-12 (FS1)
Patriot Campus sites March 1, 3, 6, 9 (CBS Sports Network)
SEC Nashville March 9-13 (ESPN)
Southern Asheville, N.C March 4-7 (ESPN2)
Southland Katy, Texas March 8-12 (ESPN2)
Summit Sioux Falls, S.D. March 5-8 (ESPN2)
Sun Belt New Orleans March 10-13 (ESPN2)
SWAC Houston March 8-12 (ESPNU)
WAC Las Vegas March 10-12 (ESPNU)
West Coast Las Vegas March 4-5 & 7-8 (ESPN)

SELECTION SUNDAY: March 13
BRACKET THREAD: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768389
WILL DUKE GET IN: Probably, but maybe not ranked, God willing.
DISCUSS

Probably Magic fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

I wouldn't be surprised if Indiana lost at Iowa tonight, but I think we will clinch the conference title outright at home against Maryland.

But hey, winning tonight would be great too. It'll be tough without Robert Johnson, if he's still out.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Uh, even as a KU fan I think you should have included them in the poll.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

kiimo posted:

Uh, even as a KU fan I think you should have included them in the poll.

Nah, this isn't the year. This is more of a second round exit year.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Maybe, although I think this year is different for a few reasons. The USA tournament at the beginning of the year feels like it changed everything up with the rhythm of how this year has progressed. Usually at this time Kansas is about to hit a wall where they start playing poorly, even in 08. That wall feels like it happened in January already.

Since then Kansas has played lock down defense and moved the ball extremely well. Also they aren't relying on feeding one giant dude in the post, they have a lot of guys who can hit 3s with alarming consistency. That's...new.

It's Kansas so we'll probably lose to some yahoo mid major but I'm just saying it doesn't feel like it this year.

FG Shooting percentages of the teams they've played recently, followed by KU's 3-point percentage in the same game.

TT 31.6% / KU 37.5%
Baylor 36.1% / KU 42.1%
K-State 37.7% / KU 33.3%
OSU 40.7% / KU 52.4%
OU 33.3% / KU 42.3%
WVU 37.3% / KU 41.2%
TCU 28.6% / KU 25%
KSU 41.5% / KU 38.9%
UT 30.2% / 68.8%

So 6/9 games played recently Kansas has had a higher 3-point percentage than the opponents' FG percentage. I'm not sure if that's an impressive state or one of those stats that you can't depend on.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

Hello Towel posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Indiana lost at Iowa tonight, but I think we will clinch the conference title outright at home against Maryland.

But hey, winning tonight would be great too. It'll be tough without Robert Johnson, if he's still out.

Iowa decided to stop playing around Valentine's Day

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

https://twitter.com/jordaneisner/status/703624705220091904

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

PotatoJudge posted:

Iowa decided to stop playing around Valentine's Day

Yeah, another reminder: Indiana is +170 tonight, go forth and collect your free money!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

There's a decent chance Gonzaga doesn't even make the tournament.

Last year, ISU won the Big 12 tournament and lost in the first round. Maybe they should lose in the first round of the Big 12 tournament, and then win the NCAAs?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

kiimo posted:

Maybe, although I think this year is different for a few reasons.

I'm really scared to be excited for this Kansas team because their post presence is still just Lucas and Traylor (and Bragg, but watch Self get conservative in the tourney and not play the freshman). But the three-point shooting adds so much more diversity to our offense, which generally hasn't been able to keep up with hot-starting midmajors and gets flustered by zones, that I think we have a shot to actually make some progress. And it's not like there's some bona fide favorite in the field that clearly outclasses us. There's so much odd parity in the league this year.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

I'm going to place a 7 team parlay bet that every Big 12 team loses in the first round and become a millionaire.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

The Big 12 is going to fail all right, as always. I wonder what the O/U should be on Big 12 tournament wins. 5.5?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Look at all these suckers envious that they don't get to see Buddy Hied during conference time.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Probably Magic posted:

Look at all these suckers envious that they don't get to see Buddy Hied during conference time.

I'm an Iowa St fan so I am just projecting my loss anxiety on the entire conference.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

resident posted:

I'm an Iowa St fan so I am just projecting my loss anxiety on the entire conference.

Oh, oops. Yeah, same, we're paper tiger as gently caress.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

OctoberBlues posted:

Yeah, another reminder: Indiana is +170 tonight, go forth and collect your free money!

Hush you, this is the only game I'm going to all season with my dad and they're gonna win. They can drop another embarrassing loss to Michigan this weekend.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Yoshifan823 posted:

Hush you, this is the only game I'm going to all season with my dad and they're gonna win. They can drop another embarrassing loss to Michigan this weekend.

If Iowa wins tonight, I think they will end up with a share of the Big Ten title, but I don't think they're going to win, so...

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Terrence Ferguson has opened his recruitment back up, KU and Baylor are rumored to be leading for the Alabama commit.

stimpy
Jul 27, 2004

Cap'n Scrap'n of the Hit Brigade
In an effort to be as ridiculous as Indiana, Louisville gave Trey Lewis and Damion Lee rings to commemorate their season negated by another Pitino scandal:

I'VE GOT YOUR BACK

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

stimpy posted:

In an effort to be as ridiculous as Indiana, Louisville gave Trey Lewis and Damion Lee rings to commemorate their season negated by another Pitino scandal:

I'VE GOT YOUR BACK

Apparently they also played One Shining Moment for them, too.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
How amazing would it be if Rutgers won the Big 10 tournament and then made a magical run to the NCAA Tournament

Sorry, I meant to say

How amazing would it be if Rutgers ever won a Big 10 game again

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

http://www.tomcreanbuyout.com has done a total about-face and it ain't right

stimpy
Jul 27, 2004

Cap'n Scrap'n of the Hit Brigade

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Apparently they also played One Shining Moment for them, too.

hahahaha no they didn't...I refuse to believe it unless I see the video

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
UNLV's Derrick Jones has been ruled academically ineligible because his ACT score has been canceled.

What a year lol

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

stimpy posted:

hahahaha no they didn't...I refuse to believe it unless I see the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXTyIM3SLXA

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

lol http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/for-petes-sake/article63839217.html

https://twitter.com/all_G00D/status/705236551396012033?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Bird in a Blender posted:

There's a decent chance Gonzaga doesn't even make the tournament.

God willing

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

N: With one game left, Northwestern has tied its school-record 19 regular season wins

V: Northwestern is not going to make the NIT

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Marquis de Pyro posted:

How amazing would it be if Rutgers won the Big 10 tournament and then made a magical run to the NCAA Tournament

Sorry, I meant to say

How amazing would it be if Rutgers ever won a Big 10 game again

How was Rutgers ever allowed into the big 10 when all of their sports programs suck? Even if it's a large school, people don't watch games if the product is poo poo.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Roger Craig posted:

How was Rutgers ever allowed into the big 10 when all of their sports programs suck? Even if it's a large school, people don't watch games if the product is poo poo.

So the Big Ten Network could be forced onto cable packages in New York

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

because it is insanely gratifying that there's a team worse than northwestern

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Roger Craig posted:

The only way to make any sense whatsoever of conference realignment is as one big stupid (stupider than usual) game of Risk.

R.D. Mangles posted:

because it is insanely gratifying that there's a team worse than northwestern

You already had Penn State.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

elentar posted:

The only way to make any sense whatsoever of conference realignment is as one big stupid (stupider than usual) game of Risk.

If the cable companies ever tell the BTN to stuff it, then the whole conference realignment thing will have some hilarious results. Probably won't happen for a long time though since live sports are practically one of the only things cable is still good for.

Edit: I need to figure out a new avatar now that Hoiberg is out of Ames, and is also in the process of ruining my favorite NBA team.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Bird in a Blender posted:

Edit: I need to figure out a new avatar now that Hoiberg is out of Ames, and is also in the process of ruining my favorite NBA team.

This pleases me.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Well, Hoiberg isn't entirely responsible for the Bulls currently being in 10th in the crappy East, but it's a very similar personnel to last year and they are a worse team.

Anywho, Prohm is continuing the transfer tradition, ISU is getting Darrell Bowie from Northern Illinois next year. 6'6", and will probably play the 4, which is what ISU needs for next year. They really need one more big guy, someone who can replace McKay, although that might come from Simeon Carter. He's 6-8", but has played like 5 minutes total all season, and really needs to improve to be a starter.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Hoiberg also isn't responsible for leaving Iowa State.

Spend the money to be a good program or be a bad program. It's pretty simple. Making your team spend all day in the airport to save a few bucks on airfare is bush league.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

kiimo posted:

Spend the money to be a good program or be a bad program. It's pretty simple. Making your team spend all day in the airport to save a few bucks on airfare is bush league.

When the budget starts to get tight everyone has to make sacrifices

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

kiimo posted:

I don't even know what you're talking about, but considering ISU has always had either the lowest, or one of the lowest AD budgets in the Big 12 is no secret.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

kiimo posted:

That article proved to be almost entirely bullshit and Travis Hines is an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

^^^^really? I'll stop saying that then.

I guess I shouldn't talk because the atrocious Kansas governor just cut 17 million in higher education to make up for the 57 million tax deficit he created when he cut taxes in order to tickle the Koch brothers' balls. Between that and kids carrying guns to campus next year it isn't like my alma mater is the flagship program for state politics and financial responsibility. Kind of like how backwoods western Kansas politicians said that KU had to go out of state to acquire bonding for student housing so they did and then they blocked it anyway when KU acquired the funding. Their reasoning is unreal.

“KU is flying the Starship Enterprise through our statues trying to avoid a transparent process that’s accountable to taxpayers and students both," Claeys says. "Whether you want to call it lease payments or whatever, it’s on state property, it’s going to be ultimately the state responsible," Rhoades says. "However they want to try to frame it, it still comes back to the taxpayer."

uh what

• Locked thread