Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
Biggest candidate for first round exit?
This poll is closed.
Kentucky 3 3.80%
Duke 16 20.25%
Gonzaga, it's always Gonzaga 11 13.92%
Iowa 24 30.38%
Indiana 12 15.19%
Wofford, you loving idiot 13 16.46%
Total: 79 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Iowa got as friendly a 7 seed draw as you could possibly get and it will not matter in the slightest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

OctoberBlues posted:

They have opened as a 6 point favorite. Whatever that Temple moneyline is, it will be one of the best bets in terms of value in all of the first round.

Temple is probably the worst at large team in the whole tournament but when you lose to loving Penn State it doesn't really matter.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

They could save everyone so much time if they just gave UConn a new trophy every November and called it a season.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kiimo posted:

Los Angeles is falling in love with this guy, btw.

Well this month they are anyway

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kiimo posted:

You can't feel the tide turning? Where the perception is Byron Scott "held him back"? He's so fired.

Sorry, don't buy it.

No it definitely is I'm just saying its fickle. People were grumbling about not taking Porzingas and even Okafor a month or so ago

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

OctoberBlues posted:

Yeah SI, #7 seed and noted choke artist the Iowa Hawkeyes are going to win the national championship.

To be fair, it says that they disagree with the notion that it's "anybody's title", which is true! It will definitely not be Iowa's title. Their presence in the tournament is a strong counter to the argument that anyone could win it all.

But seriously SI stop putting our players on the cover. The last three times that happened:

2009 Football- Ricky Stanzi immediately breaks his ankle and Iowa loses two games in a row after starting the season 9-0.

2016 Football- lost Big Ten Title Game in a heartbreaker, lost a Rose Bowl in which Stanford may still be scoring touchdowns as I type this.

2016 Basketball: Almost immediate death spiral going from a likely 1-2 seed to a 7.

MourningView fucked around with this message at Mar 16, 2016 around 19:07

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

french toast posted:

The enemies of Rutgers athletics strike again. Danny Hurley declines the Rutgers job.

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/d...earch-1.1528446

It's very dope that the Big Ten invited an athletic department so pathetic they get turned down by the head coach of Rhode Island.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

TCU is at least good at football. Rutgers is bad at literally everything except like women's soccer or some other poo poo no one on earth has ever watched

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

mastershakeman posted:

How the gently caress did Groce get a vote of confidence

because they wanted to hire a new football coach.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

gvibes posted:

Looking at his contract, I don't think so - http://www.news-gazette.com/sites/a...07/07/Groce.pdf

The "for cause" grounds all seem to be limited to his personal actions. Best case scenario is that he sees that writing on the wall and leaves voluntarily. Did Alford do that at Iowa?

He did! He was going to get fired the next year if he didn't make the tournament and the team was garbage so he peaced out for New Mexico. It was very exciting for a few months and then Lickliter happened.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

https://m.soundcloud.com/105-1-vza/...ter-vs-texasmp3

UNI radio call owns

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

It's so annoying that Iowa has the worst play by play guy in the state by a mile

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Didn't Cal already say Ulis is going pro? Now is probably the best time anyway

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Celebrating things owns and should be done more often

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Having a big rear end ring is probably dope as hell, more players should get them.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

I'm down

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kiimo posted:

Whoa rumor is Pitt coach Dixon is considering taking over the TCU job. Is that a step up?

Pitt seems like it's kinda underachieved recently, are they talking about firing him. Might be an Alford-style thing where he's getting out of town before the posse arrives. Otherwise that makes no sense

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

FartingBedpost posted:

Then leave and kill a decent Pac-12 program.

It's still really funny that UCLA got mad at a coach who made multiple final fours and their solution was Steve loving Alford

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Selden seems like he's been around forever because a lot of people expected him to be one and done and he didn't play up to it. I remember before their freshman years people trying to look smart were loudly insisting that he was actually better than Wiggins.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kiimo posted:

Ben Jacobsen would be interesting for Pitt. Pitt is a step up from Northern Iowa.

UNI's athletic department is kind of a mess in every respect except on the field/court success too, unfortunately. But he's stuck around way longer than I figure he would so who knows. That would be a big leap to pass up

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Pete Jok just announced he's testing the draft waters too. I imagine you'll see a lot of guys doing it with the new rules. There isn't much downside and it's a good experience and gives you an idea of where you stand and what you need to improve (although in his case that's mostly "don't have a long history of serious knee issues" so he may not have much shot either way).

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Bird in a Blender posted:

This will help me stay calm when Monte Morris probably does the same thing. I think he likely comes back one more year. He needs to work on driving the basket and getting his own points instead of being just an assists machine.

I think he could go. He'd have a shot to go late first if his shoulder is okay

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

I don't get why that's supposed to be a scummy thing

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

C. Everett Koop posted:

It's not, except that I guarantee you that the NCAA didn't think that anyone would do such a thing when they wrote the rule, and such an act will have the rule either overturned or severely limited because the NCAA is not about doing what's best for the players.

why

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Wooglin posted:

I don't either. The "scummy" argument makes no sense to me, and no one has been able to coherently explain it.

People just assume anything cal does is bad. Like somehow he was a criminal who was destroying basketball by recruiting one and done guys even though guys who are one and done tend to be amazing basketball players with offers from basically everyone, he just happened to get more of them because he's better at recruiting. And you'll notice the chirping about that mysteriously dropped way off after Coach K started landing one or two 10 picks every year.

MourningView fucked around with this message at Mar 24, 2016 around 03:59

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Triple post because having a mod star means gently caress the edit button:

If the rule changes its not going to be because coach cal had a walk on declare to strengthen his "I'll get you paid" pitch, it'll be because other coaches who are worse at recruiting and the sort of sycophantic authority worshiping shithead fans and writers who put the interests of millionaire coaches over the interests of the free labor they are exploiting will start a bloo bloo bloooing about how it's hurting their recruiting because they have to spend a whole like two weeks extra or whatever it is not knowing for sure how many players they'll have on the roster while dressing the complaint up in the guise of caring about the horseshit concept of holy amateurism

e: aw dang it

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Go Fightin Bryce Drews

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Bird in a Blender posted:

He seems at least to be equal to him right now, so from the ISU side it turned out ok.

Seems kinda generous given the roster he inherited

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

He doesn't take bullshit unless they're playing someone good and then hey whatever

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Seemed like Hoiberg's style was working out fine too though? I don't get that complaint. And going "yeah the team is fixed and he's just as good as Hoiberg"' because they made a sweet 16 seems like a pretty big overreaction to two games against pretty crappy opponents

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

OctoberBlues posted:

The second part of what you said doesn't seem to be referring to anything I said, but on the first part, considering that their season last year ended in the first round with a future NBA player not even playing in the second half because that relationship had gotten so toxic, it seemed like cracks were starting to show with Hoiberg and his style. I don't remember the whole timeline with BDJ, but there had to be a better way to handle it that wouldn't have resulted in that shitshow in the most important game of the season.

I mean if we're judging a guy off one bad tournament game then I guess he cracks are starting to show for Izzo too? Their season as a whole was better last year with mostly the same core.

Prohm may well wind up being similarly successful it just seems premature to say that now given that he inherited a team that was Top 5 or so preseason. They hit some rough patches during the year and making the sweet 16 doesn't really seem like some great feat of coaching given their draw. It was also Hoiberg's players and they're still pretty much running Hoiberg's offense. I'd want to see him coach his own team in his own style before I put him on the same level as the guy who took a program that was a mess and rebuilt it into a nationally relevant team and big twelve contender in like two years.

MourningView fucked around with this message at Mar 24, 2016 around 14:51

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

making the sweet 16 as an 11 seed is pretty good

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

AA is for Quitters posted:

Are you sure that's an insult and not just that awful upper Midwest accent (IE the Fargo accent)

Iowans don't have that accent so yeah pretty sure.

OctoberBlues posted:

That's cool, it's interesting to hear about little things like that, that you wouldn't otherwise know about. Cyclone fans call Iowa fans "Hoks" as an insult for some reason and I'm sure Iowa fans have their own dumb things I've mentally blocked out.

Usually Cy-clowns or just clowns which is awful and unfunny but at least makes sense.

MourningView fucked around with this message at Mar 28, 2016 around 02:05

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Eltoasto posted:

Daniel Giddons is reportedly requesting his release to transfer from OSU. With Thompson declaring, something is rotten, remember Grandstaff quit on the team a few weeks into the season. Matta may just need to go.

Thompson declaring means absolutely nothing unless he's hiring an agent.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I hope some dumb NBA reporter gets tricked into writing 'deepest draft in history!' articles based on everyone declaring

Even if literally everyone who declared stayed in people would be calling this a garbage draft.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Aaron White was first team all conference despite scoring exclusively via dunks and free throws so there's still hope

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Brandon Hutton, a freshman who didn't play but seemed kinda promising defensively, was granted a release by Iowa which finally frees up a scholarship for poor Nic Bear

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

OctoberBlues posted:

The Valpo dream is dying.

Booo bring back kingsbury you jerk.

Also Iowa had another freshman who never played transfer. Apparently dudes figured they were gonna get a ton of burn with 4 seniors and a junior on the team.

On the plus side we could really really really use an upperclassman point guard grad transfer so maybe we can do that

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Denzel Valentine is really good and there are like 20 college player of the year awards. I'm pretty sure they vote before the tournament too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

OctoberBlues posted:

I figured it was time to bring some well deserved attention to lesser appreciated mid 90s Hawkeye stars!

Glasper sucked though. At least do like Kenyon Murray, shoot

• Locked thread
«2 »