Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
Biggest candidate for first round exit?
This poll is closed.
Kentucky 3 3.80%
Duke 16 20.25%
Gonzaga, it's always Gonzaga 11 13.92%
Iowa 24 30.38%
Indiana 12 15.19%
Wofford, you loving idiot 13 16.46%
Total: 79 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

PotatoJudge posted:

Iowa decided to stop playing around Valentine's Day

Yeah, another reminder: Indiana is +170 tonight, go forth and collect your free money!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Yoshifan823 posted:

Hush you, this is the only game I'm going to all season with my dad and they're gonna win. They can drop another embarrassing loss to Michigan this weekend.

If Iowa wins tonight, I think they will end up with a share of the Big Ten title, but I don't think they're going to win, so...

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

kiimo posted:

Hoiberg also isn't responsible for leaving Iowa State.

Spend the money to be a good program or be a bad program. It's pretty simple. Making your team spend all day in the airport to save a few bucks on airfare is bush league.

That article proved to be almost entirely bullshit and Travis Hines is an idiot.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Peanut President posted:

Evansville is playing in THE VALLEY championship tomorrow for the first time in 17 years. Please help me and Tahm Bwady root for the Purple Aces.

Sorry, but Iowa needs to get three teams in for the second year in a row, so go UNI.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

On the one hand smaller conference tournaments own, on the other hand that was a cool Ivy League tradition and they're the last ones left, so I kind of want to be a cranky old man about this change.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I think it was just to keep things pure and ensure that the best team represented the league. I believe the Big Ten and the Pac 10 were the last holdouts before them and the Ivy League just never gave in... until now.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Denver fired their head coach Joe Scott. He seemed like a good guy, but he hadn't made the NCAA tournament in any of his 9 years there and his teams play slow as poo poo, so I'm not too torn up.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Old Dominion is going to play in the Conference USA championship, which is cool for them, but I can't help but be amused that they moved to Conference USA from the CAA and now the CAA is rated as the clearly superior conference.

(I assume they moved for football, not sure why they would want to be FBS anyway, they are probably losing money doing that, so this is possibly doubly funny?)

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

RC and Moon Pie posted:

So what does this do to South Carolina? They've lost three of their last four and somehow lost to Georgia three times this year.

I would think they will still make it, although they may be punished with a first four game now.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I wonder if Oregon could sneak in if they win the Pac-12 tournament? The RPI loves the Pac-12 and the Ducks.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

If Syracuse gets in over South Carolina, Monmouth, Michigan, basically any other bubble team, it will be an absolute joke.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

*loses in first round*

But enough about West Virginia!

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

MourningView posted:

Iowa got as friendly a 7 seed draw as you could possibly get and it will not matter in the slightest.

They have opened as a 6 point favorite. Whatever that Temple moneyline is, it will be one of the best bets in terms of value in all of the first round.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Matey posted:

Hmm, K-State didn't make the NIT. Granted, that was my preseason prediction, but I don't really get why they didn't make it.

I haven't looked at the bracket, but a shitload of 1 seeds lost their conference tournaments, and they get auto-bids to the NIT, so perhaps that had something to do with it?

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

This is a goldmine. I think Bill Carmody - Bach is my favorite. I like that Ben Jacobson chose some no name band from his home state.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

5 years with Georgia Tech's current coach and we haven't made the tournament even once.

Turns out a big part of the reason he hasn't been fired is because we're STILL on the hook for $900k/year to Paul Hewitt thru 2019, a full 8 years after he was fired.

The former AD should be stripped of any connections to GT.

Remember that time Paul Hewitt went to the national championship game? That sure was a thing...

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Doesn't the NCAA not allow states that fly confederate flags to host postseason tournaments, or something like that? I thought South Carolina was on that list.

SC finally removed that flag!

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I should also note since I don't think it has been mentioned... the band that UNI coach Ben Jacobson picked - the Front Fenders. His dad is the lead singer.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Metapod posted:

In news no one cares about but me, Langston got a 3 seed in the NAIA tourney

Sorry buddy, we're a Cumberlands crowd round these parts.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Yeah SI, #7 seed and noted choke artist the Iowa Hawkeyes are going to win the national championship.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Man, I knew the Rima call would own, he's such an amazing homer.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

MourningView posted:

Having a big rear end ring is probably dope as hell, more players should get them.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

They do have that new arena with a court that looks like an ice rink, so they've got that going for them.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Speaking of Alford, he has returned the one year extension he got after the 13-14 season. Too bad that won't make anyone like him any more.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Voted no because I like drama.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Let us never forget that Bruce Weber was in the national championship game once. And they were tied with a minute and a half to go!

If that's not proof of a good coach, I don't know what is!

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Pomeroy owns

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Is Mizzou aware that their coach will never succeed and they just don't care for whatever reason (money, etc), or do they actually think he can win? I'm fascinated by that situation because everyone on the planet knew that hire wouldn't work.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Ross Angeles posted:

We're going to Madison Square Garden, ya'll

Fairly cool NIT final four this year: Valpo vs BYU and San Diego State vs George Washington

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I will give him credit for showing McKay that he doesn't take bullshit, while still getting him to come back and not pout. No idea how he'll be able to recruit though.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

MourningView posted:

He doesn't take bullshit unless they're playing someone good and then hey whatever

Well, compared to their previous coach he doesn't take bullshit. Whatever he did seemed to work out for McKay and the team, so more power to him.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

MourningView posted:

Seemed like Hoiberg's style was working out fine too though? I don't get that complaint. And going "yeah the team is fixed and he's just as good as Hoiberg"' because they made a sweet 16 seems like a pretty big overreaction to two games against pretty crappy opponents

The second part of what you said doesn't seem to be referring to anything I said, but on the first part, considering that their season last year ended in the first round with a future NBA player not even playing in the second half because that relationship had gotten so toxic, it seemed like cracks were starting to show with Hoiberg and his style. I don't remember the whole timeline with BDJ, but there had to be a better way to handle it that wouldn't have resulted in that shitshow in the most important game of the season.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

MourningView posted:

I mean if we're judging a guy off one bad tournament game then I guess he cracks are starting to show for Izzo too?

What starter did Izzo sit (or the player refused to play) for the second half of their tournament game because Izzo didn't properly address issues with that player and let it come to a head during the NCAA tournament??

I don't think Prohm is a better coach than Hoiberg, at all, I'm just giving him credit for how he handled McKay compared to how Hoiberg handled BDJ.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Well, declaring for the draft is the new "doing nothing" and hiring an agent is the new "declaring for the draft"

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

So now Coach K comes out and says that he was lying when he claimed he didn't say anything to that Oregon player. What a guy!

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Is calling them Reno supposed to be an insult? Like people don't actually get confused if you refer to Nevada and think you're talking about UNLV, right? Serious question

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

That's cool, it's interesting to hear about little things like that, that you wouldn't otherwise know about. Cyclone fans call Iowa fans "Hoks" as an insult for some reason and I'm sure Iowa fans have their own dumb things I've mentally blocked out.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

AA is for Quitters posted:

Are you sure that's an insult and not just that awful upper Midwest accent (IE the Fargo accent)

Sorry, I phrased that poorly, they just spell it like that on message boards, I gather it is pronounced the same. It's always confused me so if any Cyclone fans know why it's done, do tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

No joke, if not for Buddy Hield I think I would be more excited for the NIT final four than the actual final four.

• Locked thread
«2 »