Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Biggest candidate for first round exit?
This poll is closed.
Kentucky 3 3.80%
Duke 16 20.25%
Gonzaga, it's always Gonzaga 11 13.92%
Iowa 24 30.38%
Indiana 12 15.19%
Wofford, you loving idiot 13 16.46%
Total: 79 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

The new Illinois AD gave Groce the official vote of confidence while firing our football coach only one hour and 53 minutes into the job. So I think Groce gets another year to drive our program even further into the dumpster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Another Illini player arrested, this time Jaylon Tate for punching his girlfriend in the fact. That is two in like three weeks (Leron Black for a felony not too long ago), and three in nine months. John Groce: As Good A Judge Of Character As He Is Of Talent.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

R.D. Mangles posted:

A theory called the Beckman Window where you hire a coach so incredibly inept and insane that all other lovely coach behavior is normalized.
*packs lip with chew on sideline*

Allegedly Bryce Drew actively wants the job as well. I don't even think he'd be too expensive.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

How the gently caress did Groce get a vote of confidence
Very allegedly (and frankly, I think it is bullshit fed to media types by people close to Groce to try to keep his job), there were some 2017 kids (Da'Monte Williams, Tillmon, maybe Goodwin) who wanted to commit but were scared off by uncertainty about Groce's future. So our AD gave the vote of confidence to help recruiting. He in fact said the vote of confidence was to help recruiting in some radio interview.

My only conclusion is that 16-17 year old kids are idiots, because even if he gets a vote of confidence for one more year, he will still be fired before you arrive on campus.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Bird in a Blender posted:

Is there a chance he could be fired for cause? At some point the coach will have to answer for half the team getting arrested, even if he doesn't have a whole lot of control over it.
Looking at his contract, I don't think so - http://www.news-gazette.com/sites/a...07/07/Groce.pdf

The "for cause" grounds all seem to be limited to his personal actions. Best case scenario is that he sees that writing on the wall and leaves voluntarily. Did Alford do that at Iowa?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

MourningView posted:

Pitt seems like it's kinda underachieved recently, are they talking about firing him. Might be an Alford-style thing where he's getting out of town before the posse arrives. Otherwise that makes no sense
He's an alum, and TCU's football program has been good recently, so they probably have cash to spend. He has been sort of indifferent recently at Pitt as well.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Good for him, and good for OSU. He has been killing it at SFA since day one.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I have no idea. It's a grim place for that program.

Their wishlist is Sean Miller or Archie, but I don't think either is happening. Willard at Seton Hall is a Pitt alum so I guess that's the most likely big name.

After that it's an assortment of mid-major coaches so you might as well put a name in a hat and pull it out.
The triumphant return of Ben Howland?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

I would rather have Bruce Weber than John Groce. There, I said it.

e: Also, GOEMAW is one of the funniest fan forums on the Internet (based on my limited experience). Maybe it's just that I am united with them in Weber hatred.

gvibes fucked around with this message at Mar 22, 2016 around 17:28

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Does Pitt really have a shot at Sean Miller? That seems crazy - http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2016...as-sean-miller/

Answer: No, no chance.

OctoberBlues posted:

Pomeroy owns
Yes.

gvibes fucked around with this message at Mar 22, 2016 around 19:14

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Bryce Drew to Vandy. Seems like a good fit.

Dammit, I wanted Drew.

• Locked thread