Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Biggest candidate for first round exit?
This poll is closed.
Kentucky 3 3.80%
Duke 16 20.25%
Gonzaga, it's always Gonzaga 11 13.92%
Iowa 24 30.38%
Indiana 12 15.19%
Wofford, you loving idiot 13 16.46%
Total: 79 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Congratulations! Your bonsai is dead!

Grimey Drawer

Roger Craig posted:

How was Rutgers ever allowed into the big 10 when all of their sports programs suck? Even if it's a large school, people don't watch games if the product is poo poo.

The only way to make any sense whatsoever of conference realignment is as one big stupid (stupider than usual) game of Risk.

R.D. Mangles posted:

because it is insanely gratifying that there's a team worse than northwestern

You already had Penn State.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Chicago State obviously shouldn't have been in the WAC at any point, and probably should not be competing at the D1 level period. Of couse that begins to get on the dangerous ground of the sustainability of college sports generally.

I'm really worried about Chicago State because it's the only decent educational option for many students in the metro area, and one of the strongest schools in the country for Black and Afro-American Studies. I'm a bit less worried about their sports teams, though it's extremely admirable they're doing everything they can to fulfill the scholarship commitments.

As much as I wish it were simply just an R vs. D or red/blue divide, from the inside you definitely see the hostility to educational structures from both sides; it's just more veiled on one side. And this sort of thing has been coming for a long, long time in Illinois and Chicago specifically, it's just been accelerated by the impasse. Anyway, enough of that for now, gonna watch some college ball while it still exists.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ACC bracket is ... uninspiring. I dunno, BC aside the conference is pretty solid top to bottom, but it's pretty clear that without a gatecrasher only five teams are making the NCAAT, and out of those 5 no potential storyline seems worth getting excited about. At least there's no possibility of a Duke-UNC final.

kiimo posted:

I respect but also am confused by the state pride it takes to feel this way. It's cool to see but at the same time, mother gently caress K-State and Wichita State.

I admire UNC and Duke as institutions of higher learning, but can't imagine wanting anything but doom for their athletics teams. Especially UNC, where the athletic department actively poisoned the academic well.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

soggybagel posted:

Post game senior Dennis Clifford was asked the best thing about playing at Boston College. Through tears he said "going out to eat."

http://youtu.be/p9lqZ4wPCIA

I hear the Chipotle in particular is a big draw.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Eddie Jordan fired at Rutgers even though he was 1-1 in his last 2 conference games and clearly turning things around.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Why didn't the Ivy League have tournaments before? I know in football they don't do postseason play but obviously they participate in March Madness so it never really made sense to me.

They only play on Friday and Saturday nights when school is in session, because academic load etc. (Bar NCAAs obviously.) So a full tournament would take up too much time, I guess?

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Tulsa got whipped by Memphis, they'll probably be in the NIT but today was effectively the end of meaningful basketball under Frank Haith there. If the pattern holds, next year they'll plummet (not hard to imagine, next year they have basically no returning minutes); two years from now Haith will jump ship to yet another and lower-profile job; three years from now the program will be on probation. Maybe they can be relevant again in 2021, but I'm not optimistic.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

So the 1 seeds at this point pretty much have to be Kansas, Michigan State, Villanova, and UVA/UNC winner, yes?

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

In "well, duh" news today, Oklahoma State is set to fire Travis Ford.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Stanford finally fired Johnny Dawkins. Wondering if he moves down the coaching chain (or would even be successful if he did) or if he just slinks back to Duke and winds up his career there as director of basketball operations or alumni outreach or something.

Anyway, that's a top-notch job right there, without the immediate psychosis that surrounds some of those positions. Would expect every up-and-comer to be waiting by the phone for that call.

Josh Lyman posted:

5 years with Georgia Tech's current coach and we haven't made the tournament even once.

Turns out a big part of the reason he hasn't been fired is because we're STILL on the hook for $900k/year to Paul Hewitt thru 2019, a full 8 years after he was fired.

The former AD should be stripped of any connections to GT.

Hilariously, Gregory's candidacy for higher level jobs was based on one amazing, unsustainable year at Dayton, rather than consistent success like Archie Miller has had there. GT really gets their heads turned by one-time achievements.

elentar fucked around with this message at Mar 14, 2016 around 19:28

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

The Vegas 16 bracket was announced. It has 8 teams.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Haith's losing almost every minute from this team next year, I'm sure he's already busy committing the violations that will leave TU a salted wasteland after his jump to an even smaller and somehow more gullible program.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

The ACC has only lost one team despite everyone other than UNC, Virginia, and occasionally Miami being poo poo.

I don't say this out of some sense of conference pride, all of them other than Virginia can gently caress off out of the tournament already.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Opposite angle vine is pretty great too: http://www.sbnation.com/college-bas...g-buzzer-beater

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Dixon's a good coach but I don't think he's found the ACC much to his liking. Will be interesting to see if anyone can make anything of TCU in the Big 12, it's not like they have much of anything to fall back on.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Who the hell do Pitt fans think they're going to get that will be consistently more successful than Dixon has been?

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Doug Gottlieb getting hired to coach anything, much less an actual decent program, would be the most hilarious thing.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Haha, Ken Pomeroy is trolling the gently caress out of the RPI.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

On the same day that Cat Barber confirms he'll be staying in the draft—which pretty much everyone expected—Caleb and Cody Martin also announced they would be transferring from NC State.

The team would have been competitive next year without Barber, but that depended on the Martin twins developing. Now they're going to be scrambling to get even more grad transfers than they were already, and they'll probably have to waste a scholarship or two on potential in the freshman class that probably won't pay off. Gottfried does some things well, but he loses a really worrying number of players to transfer; you can take that as long as you're getting in the tournament but otherwise it's a bad, bad look.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Georgia Tech fired Brian Gregory, that's going to be a major rebuild job with all the minutes they're losing.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Kevin Stallings is a really weird hire for Pitt.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Herb Sendek caught on at Santa Clara—could actually be a decent place for him to settle. They were one of the youngest teams in the country this year, so an immediate bounce is possible while he gets his own players in.

I mean, as long as Few is at Gonzaga, and Bennett is at St. Mary's, and BYU is in the conference, 4th place is about as high as anyone else in the WCC can shoot for, but that would probably do.

edit: just noted that Julius Hodge will be one of Herb's assistants, move gets even better.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

OctoberBlues posted:

I can only assume Villanova and UNC because god hates us.

Theological caveat: Syracuse winning is not evidence of God's love for us, more a sign that the cosmos is governed by blind idiot chaos rather than actively malevolent, spiteful Lovecraftian entities.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

gently caress this straight earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Roy Williams is such a piece of poo poo.

• Locked thread