Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
Biggest candidate for first round exit?
This poll is closed.
Kentucky 3 3.80%
Duke 16 20.25%
Gonzaga, it's always Gonzaga 11 13.92%
Iowa 24 30.38%
Indiana 12 15.19%
Wofford, you loving idiot 13 16.46%
Total: 79 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

TRIGGERED BY COLLEGE SPORTS

Don't remind this retard that college sports are a scam, it hurts his stunted brain.

Uh, even as a KU fan I think you should have included them in the poll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Don't remind this retard that college sports are a scam, it hurts his stunted brain.

Maybe, although I think this year is different for a few reasons. The USA tournament at the beginning of the year feels like it changed everything up with the rhythm of how this year has progressed. Usually at this time Kansas is about to hit a wall where they start playing poorly, even in 08. That wall feels like it happened in January already.

Since then Kansas has played lock down defense and moved the ball extremely well. Also they aren't relying on feeding one giant dude in the post, they have a lot of guys who can hit 3s with alarming consistency. That's...new.

It's Kansas so we'll probably lose to some yahoo mid major but I'm just saying it doesn't feel like it this year.

FG Shooting percentages of the teams they've played recently, followed by KU's 3-point percentage in the same game.

TT 31.6% / KU 37.5%
Baylor 36.1% / KU 42.1%
K-State 37.7% / KU 33.3%
OSU 40.7% / KU 52.4%
OU 33.3% / KU 42.3%
WVU 37.3% / KU 41.2%
TCU 28.6% / KU 25%
KSU 41.5% / KU 38.9%
UT 30.2% / 68.8%

So 6/9 games played recently Kansas has had a higher 3-point percentage than the opponents' FG percentage. I'm not sure if that's an impressive state or one of those stats that you can't depend on.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

https://twitter.com/jordaneisner/st...624705220091904

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Terrence Ferguson has opened his recruitment back up, KU and Baylor are rumored to be leading for the Alabama commit.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

stimpy posted:

hahahaha no they didn't...I refuse to believe it unless I see the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXTyIM3SLXA

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Hoiberg also isn't responsible for leaving Iowa State.

Spend the money to be a good program or be a bad program. It's pretty simple. Making your team spend all day in the airport to save a few bucks on airfare is bush league.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

^^^^really? I'll stop saying that then.

I guess I shouldn't talk because the atrocious Kansas governor just cut 17 million in higher education to make up for the 57 million tax deficit he created when he cut taxes in order to tickle the Koch brothers' balls. Between that and kids carrying guns to campus next year it isn't like my alma mater is the flagship program for state politics and financial responsibility. Kind of like how backwoods western Kansas politicians said that KU had to go out of state to acquire bonding for student housing so they did and then they blocked it anyway when KU acquired the funding. Their reasoning is unreal.

ďKU is flying the Starship Enterprise through our statues trying to avoid a transparent process thatís accountable to taxpayers and students both," Claeys says. "Whether you want to call it lease payments or whatever, itís on state property, itís going to be ultimately the state responsible," Rhoades says. "However they want to try to frame it, it still comes back to the taxpayer."

uh what

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

OctoberBlues posted:

Sorry, but Iowa needs to get three teams in for the second year in a row, so go UNI.

I respect but also am confused by the state pride it takes to feel this way. It's cool to see but at the same time, mother gently caress K-State and Wichita State.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I think the Big 12 might be sick of Kansas.

Here is their highlights of the KU / Iowa State game on Saturday...

http://www.big12sports.com/mediaPor...dbml?id=5120572

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm sitting here realizing that Thursday is the first day of Madness and is also St. Patrick's Day and I can't remember the last time those coincided.

I can already feel the headache Friday morning when I go in to work, get out early and then head back to the bars to start again. Most of my friends are heading to Vegas Tuesday - Saturday. I just am too old to deal with that.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Benne posted:

I'll be covering the tourney at SB Nation so I'm literally getting paid to watch it

Yeah but do they pay you to also not drink? Something to think about.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

KU vs. K-State in an hour and a half and a thread was going around making fun of K-State media in general and brought this gem to my attention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IALwo-Z_6qU

BI have you seen this?

Ugh, K-State. Never stop sucking.

Also in honor of embarrassing K-State, this happened in 1978 in Manhattan, not 1962 Alabama.

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/...en-at-kansas-st

for the lazy: K-State fans throw hundreds of bananas on the court and held up a huge sign with the n-word and a guy in a gorilla mask ran around the court with a sign that said he was one of the KU players' brother.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

lol "Joe College" =! "KU fans".

"Independent T-Shirt Company that was sued by KU" =! "Students throwing bananas on the floor"

But now on to important stuff...

my Bruin friend posted:

Alford may get sacked after all. Apparently, last nights humiliating loss to USC has really rallied the top 100 donors. There will be a conference call with the AD within the 48 hours to decide Alford's fate. Fire him!! Bring back my Blue Blood Bruins!

I guess we'll see on this. HUGE buyout.

kiimo fucked around with this message at Mar 11, 2016 around 00:05

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

If UCLA fires Alford after giving him a gigantic contract they better have somebody amazing in mind.

Of course they will want somebody with "ties to the program" which I think is a silly thing that colleges do. Go after Bryce Drew or Tony Bennett. Who cares if they didn't play or coach there?

edit: or maybe see if Sean Miller still loves living in Tucson.

kiimo fucked around with this message at Mar 11, 2016 around 00:38

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I wish I could actually hate K-State but it just isn't the same.

I miss Missouri. Well, the way they were. I miss that one. Funny thing about it though, they're making more money as a program than ever soooo not much you can say. I guess I can care what Iowa State and Kansas State do? Something something Sandstorm. Ugh. Not the same.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Not if you hire Alford!

He comes with a point guard though, and that is non-negotiable.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The Big 12 tournament is a useless distraction. If you win, okay. If you lose, get healthy and recuperate for the tourney.

If you aren't going to the NCAA tournament chances are you aren't winning the Big 12 tournament anyway.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Kick Oklahoma's rear end. That would make me happy. I wouldn't mind losing to West Virginia in the championship (provided we get past Baylor). I feel like facing a constant press and a loss would be a good thing going into the tournament for Kansas to avoid the dreaded annual round 1/2 upset.

Also in news nobody but me cares about, Bill Self admitted he's been recruiting incorrectly and said moving forward he plans on having 2-3 point guards on the floor at all times. That's big news in recruiting circles. I think it means fewer Wiggins/Oubre wings and more 4* guards.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

For a second there I thought I was in the NFL thread and was like

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Wayne Selden just absolutely loving destroyed somebody. Video coming.

As promised...

I want to know Wayne Seldens uncle, "Selden Time"

kiimo fucked around with this message at Mar 12, 2016 around 04:57

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Holy poo poo you guys madness is already here. Arizona Oregon, Oklahoma West Virginia.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

anne frank fanfic posted:

Heres some cool free bets to win: texas wins at least 1, wvu wins at least 2, baylor depends on bracket but prob wins at least 1, iowa state early exit (might win one) same with kansas

Normally it is safe to pick an early exit KU but this year feels different, just saying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1yvk59MhIs

kiimo fucked around with this message at Mar 12, 2016 around 17:52

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

OMG

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

French for "jump in front of and unsuccessfully attempt to draw a"

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Time for the recurring "T Boone Pickens opens up the bank to get Bill Self" rumor to start and quickly get shot down followed by a quiet raise for Self.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Happy selection Sunday!

I assume we will just post the brackets in this thread.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

1 seeds:

Virginia - Midwest
North Carolina - East
Kansas - South
Oregon - West

kiimo fucked around with this message at Mar 13, 2016 around 22:01

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Bill Self's favorite singer is Luther Vandross.

It gets him in the mood.

For fuckin.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's kind of the dumbest thing ever. Don't believe half of these choices. If you're out recruiting 17 year-olds you don't really want them to know how much you love King Crimson, you say something like Nas even though you can't stand that poo poo.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Anybody who is naming a Peter Cetera-led band as his all time favorite is immediately on my suspect list. I mean I like power ballads and Karate Kid as much as the next guy but when you're doing duets with Amy Grant you don't deserve to be anybody's favorite band.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

OctoberBlues posted:

I should also note since I don't think it has been mentioned... the band that UNI coach Ben Jacobson picked - the Front Fenders. His dad is the lead singer.

I hope there's like two guys in the band and then he and his brother jump in and call themselves The Quarterpanels.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Los Angeles is falling in love with this guy, btw.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

You can't feel the tide turning? Where the perception is Byron Scott "held him back"? He's so fired.

quote:

In Los Angeles, the Lakers haven't yet decided whether to bring Byron Scott back next season. Sources indicate they intend to meet with Scott once the season ends, before deciding whether to retain him. While general manager Mitch Kupchak may have been noticeably unenthusiastic when asked to assess Scott's performance last month, sources indicate that was simply Kupchak's way of avoiding the question and not adding fuel to the speculation about Scott's future. It was clumsy, but it wasn't intended to be the damning indictment some read it as.

Sorry, don't buy it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Oh Lord. Which ones?

The thing about Kim Anderson is he has to recruit well and to recruit well he has to hire guys who can recruit but he hasn't recruited the guys who can recruit so how can anybody believe that he'll ever fix this?

Meanwhile guys like Brad Underwood are going to be out there but Missouri is just going to go with Kim. I feel for you, Missouri fans and those aren't crocodile tears. The administration has made bad decisions at every step along the way basically since Norm Stewart retired*. There is a lack of power teams at the top of the SEC other than UK that MU should be competing with every year. If Texas A&M can manage to win the SEC, Missouri should be right there. Kim Anderson is never going to get you there, so what is anybody waiting for? I'm a hated rival and even I feel kind of sick about it, because there's no solution in sight. That's frustrating and reminds me of the Royals during the dark years.

*I include the Quin Snyder hire because after Norm retired April 1 by April 5 MU had interviewed John Calipari, Quin Snyder, Bill Self, and Kim Anderson.

Out of those four look who they hired and look who they passed on.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The jinx is in.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The NCAA really showed Haith who was boss by allowing his undeserving Tulsa rear end in the tournament.

Frank Haith posted:

"What a blessing. God is so good. These guys deserve to play in the tournament. Iím so happy for them.Ē

Uh, how's that, Frank? You just got humiliated by loving Memphis twice.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

N: Kansas forward Jamari Traylor (31) and the Jayhawks react after Traylor broke a fixture on the shot clock while attempting a half-court shot during practice on Wednesday, March 16, 2016 at Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines, Iowa. The Jayhawks will take on the Governors Thursday.

V: This is Steph Curry's America.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The only thing worse than inviting TCU to your conference is inexplicably losing to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The Indiana fans I saw at the bars last night were something to behold. They really don't like UK, I half expected One Shining Moment to start playing.

• Locked thread
«2 »