Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Being able to do only 13 laps of ATT hints at an interesting strategy though; it is *just* short of two-stop distance under ideal conditions. I am guessing he is banking on everybody else needing more than two stops for reasons of weather or damage or whatnot, which I think is a fair gamble looking at the weather "forecasts" for each round.

And yes, I think everyone would be interested in having the curtains pulled back on the fastest cars. I know I am at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
I should have been on sports this last run - I'm no longer certain.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I lost 0.64s on best time which may just be down to randomness while my last lap in the stint is 1.67s faster. My tyre wear went down from 24.31% to 21.92%. Doubt I can improve more. That was a 'free' increase without losing time by lucking into a good suspension setup.

I expect the best car to have about 50s lead over me over 20 laps despite a 30s pit stop. I didn't have that much better results with other bodies and sports tyres remain a mystery to me.

Also the game started to throw various UVMesh errors at me for no reason to crash my game and making me redo cars.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Welcome to my world! I get UVMesh errors and LUA errors all the time.
Constantly having to reinstall the game data.

Ah gently caress me... my engine fuel map and performance is all screwed up now.

extreme_accordion fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jul 20, 2016

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Well I decided that I would change to my NA car. Base it's already (on average) 2 seconds faster than my turbo car.

Now I have to calculate fuel consumption and tire use. It's going to be horrendous.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I think I solved my uvmesh problem.

The cocksuckers included a workshop mod into the base game without mentioning it. The mod author removed it from the steam workshop and thought that was it. But you still are subscribed to the loving item and it keeps redownloading.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Riso posted:

I think I solved my uvmesh problem.

The cocksuckers included a workshop mod into the base game without mentioning it. The mod author removed it from the steam workshop and thought that was it. But you still are subscribed to the loving item and it keeps redownloading.

I'm at a loss because I thought I submitted my turbo car two weeks ago...
Today's stats should be my NA car, but without knowing what car ran I can't tell and today's stats are exactly like last weeks but perhaps less tire/tyre wear.

Fuel consumption and lap time seem reasonably close to the other tests. Evidently I can make a very fuel efficient motor.
Now if I could just got a dang chassis to move about the track and not eat rubber...

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
You know what doesn't make sense?
Me sending the car with sports tyres and then instead of losing 1s/lap like I expect it's the same speed to the semi-slicks one.

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Victorious, he returned to us, claiming that he had slain the drought where even Orlanth could not. The god-talkers were not sure what to make of this.

Riso posted:

You know what doesn't make sense?
Me sending the car with sports tyres and then instead of losing 1s/lap like I expect it's the same speed to the semi-slicks one.

There's something hosed in either the simulation or the game. It's been mentioned in the thread with the top speeds. Also, some cars are slower than their ingame times, or about as fast and some cars are actually faster.

I expect the simulation is complicated enough that either Der Bayer doesn't have any idea what's wrong either, or he doesn't have access to the code for the live version or it's just so much work that he can't reasonably check it in the time available.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Well let's suss it out and bring it to his attention in a reasonable non-ape way?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Duuk posted:

There's something hosed in either the simulation or the game. It's been mentioned in the thread with the top speeds. Also, some cars are slower than their ingame times, or about as fast and some cars are actually faster.

I expect the simulation is complicated enough that either Der Bayer doesn't have any idea what's wrong either, or he doesn't have access to the code for the live version or it's just so much work that he can't reasonably check it in the time available.

My guess is C) All of the above. The game doesn't seem to produce consistent lap times under a lot of circumstances, and Der Bayer's simulation is absolutely kooky at times. For example my NA car (that I entered for the first few tests) ended up being four or five seconds a lap slower than the in-game flying lap time, and my current turbo car is almost a second better than the in-game time. Additionally I also noticed the same thing Riso did, in that I sent one test with semi-slicks in place of sports tires and went almost exactly the same speed.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Der Bayer admits he doesn't know poo poo about programming yet still managed to get his stuff put into the game some time ago.

Under that caveat:

He thinks turbos are doing better than NA because of the higher torque.
Brobot randomises laptimes, look at the whole stint.
He insists the added weight by the fuel does not affect suspension setup, brake balance or anything else; it just makes the car slower.

And very importantly, after test 4 the calculations were updated to be more in line with the base game by adding 15% more grip.
So you cant really only compare tests 1-4 and 4.6-6.

Personally, I don't trust sports tyres.
In BRC66, Leo9613 ran sports tyres for the whole season and while he looked top 10 based on pre-season tests, he was severely outclassed in the actual races.

Also please test your cars on Hockenheim as well. High wing might get you 0.5s on ATT but it will ruin your lap times on highspeed tracks.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

New dev update:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2uxUGnv-s0

And since they've been posted over at the Automation forum, here are the Goon-related entries into BRC 1976:

Duuk:

extreme_accordion:

MrChips:

Riso:

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
I'm so mad because I had to run with that V8. I had a 2.7L DOHC TT V6 that was producing similar results and using 100g/kWh less (14 or 15% fuel eco) and producing 385 hp or better and then the file blew up... rage. rage. rage.

FlyFishinInnuendo
Apr 14, 2005
I played the demo for this last week and got hooked. At its worst, Automation feels like a buggy early access car spreadsheet simulator, but drat if it isn't super engaging at its best. I already have an embarrassingly high number of hours logged tinkering and I love how the community is into doing challenges. I'm working on an entry for a Single Engine Lineup Challenge - best Competitiveness score across nine markets with five or fewer cars using only one engine. Feels like a good indication of what the upcoming campaign mode could be and I've been enjoying polishing my work to a glossy sheen before submitting it.

Sad to be missing the BRC, everything about it looks pretty great including those trump cards. Good luck all!

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

extreme_accordion posted:

I'm so mad because I had to run with that V8. I had a 2.7L DOHC TT V6 that was producing similar results and using 100g/kWh less (14 or 15% fuel eco) and producing 385 hp or better and then the file blew up... rage. rage. rage.

That fuel eco is for daily cruising around 2000-4000 rpm, so completely useless because the cars are running around 6000 most of the time.

Your top speed and acceleration's pretty bad but the excellent cornering speeds should be very interesting on twistier tracks like Green Hell.

FlyFishinInnuendo posted:

I played the demo for this last week and got hooked. At its worst, Automation feels like a buggy early access car spreadsheet simulator, but drat if it isn't super engaging at its best. I already have an embarrassingly high number of hours logged tinkering and

Yup. It's my most played game with several hundred hours despite the fact I usually drop games after two weeks.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
My car sucks all the way around imo. I was #2 in one of the runs in least fuel consumed per lap and had a lap time of 2:15 or so on my TTV6.
It was tested in test 4 or 5 but eats rubber like a pig so who knows. When I talk fuel consumption I'm talking where the it is out near redline, not the dip in the graph.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Qualifying on the terrible track of Betonschleife. Race on Saturday.

https://youtu.be/orHVeb_ymhU

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Yeah! I'm 1st in the over the 1:00 mark entrants.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Might be interesting to set a stop around minute 50 to make sure there's no more rain but I am not sure what % that is in the stupid brc tool.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Riso posted:

Might be interesting to set a stop around minute 50 to make sure there's no more rain but I am not sure what % that is in the stupid brc tool.

I spent about 30 minutes with that thing and reading up on other strategies and blah blah blah. 20 40 60 80! Let it rip!

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

I spent about 30 minutes with that thing and reading up on other strategies and blah blah blah. 20 40 60 80! Let it rip!

You have a one stop car..

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Edit: Acutally nevermind.

Riso fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 11, 2016

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Thanks Riso I'm beginning to get it now that I see how it works in the race.
I'm filling with around <20kg of fuel with the 4 stop or whatever when if I went with a full tank 1 stop strategy I'd be more than likely to stop less and lose less time.

Great race Chips and I believe Howler!

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Riso in 13? nice there too

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Goon 1-2 indeed.

I am up 16 positions from the start, a pretty good result.

I did more laps than I expected on the tyres. I set the stop at 58% to try and hit the 50 min mark but it got dry around min 39 already. Luckily my pre-set pit stop was replaced.
The times weren't that bad for 51 laps on semi-slicks I have to say but they cost me pos 12.

How I am going to set the strategy for race two I don't know, because there's a dry, inter and wet phase from the looks of it.

Riso fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 14, 2016

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Wow, that was a surprising result!

It all came down to pit strategy and more than a bit of luck in my case. Also, it helps that my car is able to go fairly deep without needing to stop, it gives me the flexibility to take advantage of the weather windows.

Well done Duuk on your win, and good job to everyone else for a good race.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
I'm satisfied with my finish - would like to get some help with next race strategy since I'm a one stop car on that last race.
I should have gone for 2 stops on this one to get a fresher set of tyres etc since I"m at ~35% wear after 20 laps.

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Victorious, he returned to us, claiming that he had slain the drought where even Orlanth could not. The god-talkers were not sure what to make of this.
Good race, guys!

When the first crash happened I thought it was all over. More than 40% damage and I had my first stop limited to a fair bit later so that set the tone for the rest of the race. All catching up, all the time. The other crash was luckily lighter. And then the unplanned stop because the rain and safety car meant progress was slower than anticipated... Nnngh... But obviously I can't really complain because it ended with the perfect result. Which was lucky in itself.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Can we still adjust the car's suspension setup before submitting for the next race? I haven't seen an official deadline for submits.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

No, the only thing we're allowed to submit now is new strategies. Our cars are frozen.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Well poo poo, I installed this on my new computer and now it won't run because lol .NET framework.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

New Dev Update!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTilsl0kawU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

And just like that, ANOTHER Dev Update:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkAxd16qMWk

Between this one and the previous dev update, they pretty much detail a lot of the nuts and bolts of the upcoming light campaign mode.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
You going to get your series up and running / still working on it?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

You going to get your series up and running / still working on it?

I'm still working on it; I am rewriting the tire wear model because I was totally unsatisfied with it, along with a few other things here and there for ease of use on my end. Also, with the new version of Automation launching in the next few weeks, I figure it's best to wait until that's all come to pass.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

MrChips posted:

I'm still working on it; I am rewriting the tire wear model because I was totally unsatisfied with it, along with a few other things here and there for ease of use on my end. Also, with the new version of Automation launching in the next few weeks, I figure it's best to wait until that's all come to pass.

For sure - how much of the new factory stuff do you think is going to play into your next series: some or not at all?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

For sure - how much of the new factory stuff do you think is going to play into your next series: some or not at all?

For now I'm going to say absolutely none of it. In fact they are moving all the factory stuff OUT of sandbox mode for this version from what I gather.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

MrChips posted:

For now I'm going to say absolutely none of it. In fact they are moving all the factory stuff OUT of sandbox mode for this version from what I gather.

Good, because putting that in was just stupid.

Also I just saw your air plane engine competition on their forums. Interesting but weird!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Riso posted:

Good, because putting that in was just stupid.

Also I just saw your air plane engine competition on their forums. Interesting but weird!

What the poo poo?

Glad the factory stuff is out of sandbox.
A question about sandbox for you folks: Do you just sit and make engines in sandbox for certain years and configurations prior to ever making a car?
Riso - you mentioned an IRC channel, what is that info?