Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
It's too bad that magic isn't a thing in Rune Factory, or else freezing the water to walk over to the cave, or teleporting to it would be obvious solutions. It's also a shame nobody knows how to build things in the town, or else we could just build a bridge over to it like every other civilization on the planet would.

Really such a pity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I was expecting it to be in the center of some huge lake, not separated by literally eight inches of water.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

KataraniSword posted:

Misty Bullshit Cave. So many things wrong with that dungeon. So many things. Not only is it only available in Winter, not only is it essentially on a timelimit to access with a deep, dark, hidden secret that Hippoman probably wants to save to reveal himself.

Remember how you can't marry Mei unless you use wifi/multiplayer bullshit to level up an item constantly? You can't even catch the item - a Lover Snapper, for the record - anywhere but in Misty Bloom.

Also, if you don't go in with a bunch of Paralysis/Seal healing items, you better believe you're gonna have a bad time. Misty Bloom hates you and wants you to shove a sword into a turnip.

Oh, don't worry, we will certainly get to that part of it. I'll try and show it off if I can.

thetruegentleman posted:

It's too bad that magic isn't a thing in Rune Factory, or else freezing the water to walk over to the cave, or teleporting to it would be obvious solutions. It's also a shame nobody knows how to build things in the town, or else we could just build a bridge over to it like every other civilization on the planet would.

Really such a pity.

To be fair with the offensive magic in Rune Factory 1, it would take approximately 200 RP bars to freeze that tiny lake.

Glazius posted:

I was expecting it to be in the center of some huge lake, not separated by literally eight inches of water.

Donnel's a vampire, new running theory.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

LordHippoman posted:

Donnel's a vampire, new running theory.

The theory may be running, but the water ain't :v: Vampires should still be able to cross lakes.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Still waters run deep.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Cattail Prophet posted:

The theory may be running, but the water ain't :v: Vampires should still be able to cross lakes.

Donnel is a really, really lovely vampire. Also Misty Bloom Cave possesses an Anti-Humor Field, so no jokes around it can be accurate or funny.

This will not change the LP in the slightest.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 27: Hello, Neumann

It is time for the beginning of Rune Factory Grinding Season. The Great House Grind is, thankfully, the only one of its kind in the game, but it does require two resources, Wood and Money.

Edward has no more lines. We’ve exhausted his limit for “holy poo poo you faint a lot”, but it’s just really convenient. I don’t know if that got changed in future RFs, but games like Stardew Valley seem to NOT actively encourage it.

So, the money is easy to come by. Wood’s the hard part, and it’s going to save me a lot of sanity, and you a lot of screenshots, if I upgrade my axe as much as I can.

Balls.

I’ve only got 3 on me. Well, I guess I at least have a mission.

On a side note, our inventory is starting to get cluttered. Buying the Shelf from Ivan would be a good investment, next time I see it available.

But hey, I’ll bet we’ve got new spells to check out!

I have no desire to investigate, but the plot forces me. The entrance to the next cave is one we’ve walked past a thousand times, but I am bound by the linearity.

OKay, SWORDSTORM sounds pretty rad.

Gimme that SWORDSTORM.

Don’t mind me, I’m just at home lamenting my lack of a Shelf. I make poor decisions.

Oh, yeah, I never properly showed this off. You can draw on screenshots you take here. Only one at a time though. You could also send these to friends over Wi-Fi, if you were very bored and did not know what MS Paint was.

Give me a second.

Therreee we go.

“Graffti”

Shaun’s going to accompany me to Clemens this time. Also, I never really noticed, but look how terrified his portrait looks. You’ll be fine, buddy.

(he probably won’t)

Alright, time to get some silver.

So WInd is still way better against the Troll in the opening hallway. Trying to use the Flame Saber on me got me awful damage and a punch to the face.

Shaun did not survive the ant barrage. Oh well, SKILL UP!

The ant bites only do 1 damage to Donnel now, which is kinda nice. They were never a huge threat, but now they’re completely inconsequential.

Now that the mine is cleared out, let’s try out SWORDSTORM

Oh, it’s this thing! Mandragora and Grimoire used it. It’s sort of a shotgun of wind crescents. I guess those are supposed to be swords? It’s wind elemental.

It’s also total poo poo, 10 damage.

As usual, the strategy of “Just loving hit it” is more effective.

However, Ignis is a pain in the rear end, because if it uses the AOE, you can’t hit it, and it can still snipe at you from inside of there for a few seconds.

The Titan still goes down fast, but oh?

This is new.

Huh, nice. This is an accessory, like the rings. It gives 2 defense (meh) and 2 Dexterity, which I honestly don’t know the effect of, as the game never tells you the effects of any of the stats.

I mean, I guess it can’t hurt.

Okay, I looked it up, apparently it was in the manual (Holy poo poo how do I still have the MANUAL for this game?) and Dexterity increases dodge and hit chance. For the record, Strength is melee damage, Int is Magic Damage, and Vitality “is a lot like your constitution, the higher your vitality, the better your defense will get”. But there’s a Defense stat, so that one is still a mystery.

Anyway, back to what we were doing.

So many precious gems, but not a Silver in sight.

And here’s where the inventory system finally catches up with me. Since items that are the same, but have different levels, don’t stack… there’s a ton of different slots taken up by Fire Crystals and Rubies.

I can...probably afford to toss this, though.

That’s enough of that for now. Still no Silver. I think our hammer is just too good. I’ve got another plan, though.

Also Mei’s outside. You can find her up here sometimes. Speaking of which…

Sharron has abandoned her post! She goes into the ruins on Wednesdays, and we can’t follow her inside yet.

No, Mist. I have to wait 2 months.

Just take the mayonnaise and get outta here.

Sold everything but the level 1 Fire Crystals, those are for Sharron. I don’t think Level effects how much villagers like your gifts. Melody’s bath isn’t open yet, so for now, shopping trip.

So, let’s try this again.

Holy poo poo, MR. SHIELD?

THE MR. SHIELD?

DRAGONS CRINGE!

(we can’t do anything with this until the house gets upgraded)

Oh, also, the description for Swordstorm, as is custom. You let me down again, Egam.

I went to Neumann’s to see if I could advance his sidequest, but apparently he’ll only do that at night, he’s just vaguely unhelpful during business hours.

It’s 3:00, bath time.

And I just cut to Toros because you all know the drill. That’s 18 squares of Grazing Grass, actually successfully planted this time!

So, upgrading the can might be a good idea soon, as I have to go one tile at a time right now. Also it only has 12 uses.

With that taken care of, though, let’s get to mining.

Oh, finally. Three more to go.

Huh? The heck is this?

Oh, I totally forgot these were in here. This is Toros Cave’s gemstone. I don’t think Carmite has one.

The room with the Woolie spawner is a fantastic spot to grind for mining stuff in here.

And, eventually, I hit 7 Silver. Nice.

Also, a quick update on the current Wood situation. Little over 15% there. This is going to take a while.

So, it’s late, but I want to unload all this stuff. I was just going to faint and sell it to Edward in the morning, but…

The bar is open late. That...that makes sense. I just totally forgot about it.

45k. Once you get a solid hammer, money is no object in RF1.

Sabrina and Neumann are here too. I wonder if I can…

Oh, he’ll totally talk about this with her right there. Okay.

Get ready for some backstory dump.

: It’s an ancient treasure in Sabrina’s family. Legend has it that if a couple drinks spring water from that chalice on their first anniversary, they’ll be happy for life. But, I don’t know for certain whether that’s true or not. After marrying her, I put everything into making Sabrina happy our first year.

I don’t think this game was proofread. Also if it doesn’t work until your first anniversary, then why would the first year be...never mind.

: Then, the day before our anniversary, I took the chalice out to bar (sic) in the down where I drank all night long.

: What happened?

: I was drinking by myself at first and was getting happily drunk, when a strange girl came in and sat next to me. We both got drunk and ended up drinking from the chalice.

: Hmmm…

: I felt bad about this, and as I was thinking about leaving the bar, in walked Sabrina!

Haha, Sabrina rules.

: The next day she moved out. Maybe that’s why Sabrina moved to this town!

: I see. So where did the chalice go?

: Apparently she threw it away somewhere! I asked her many times, but she never told me.

: So you came to this town because you were worried about Sabrina?

: I was worried about both Sabrina and Nicholas. I wanted to be able to help out if anything happened, so I’m living close by.

: So that’s why you’re living here?

He literally just said that, Donnel.

: Well, I didn’t tell any of the townsfolk yet. But I felt I could tell you, Donnel. You’re a strange one!

Well, let’s see if Sabrina can shed any more light on this.

Welp. Maybe another time.

Still one more thing I have to do tonight. Advance Donnel’s own romantic quest.

Hiya, Sharron.

: She’s always smiling, but that’s the flip side to her true loneliness. Donnel, ask her about it if you like.

This is part of a short sidequest required to marry Melody. What else does Sharron have to say?

: The people of this town are very kind, but that can be a burden at times.

Uh. I think she might actually be undead.

: It’s rare to meet in a place like this.

This is your room.

Anyway, gift time.

Note that she does take the whole stack. I’m not sure if that effects LP any more than usual, but if you want to play it safe, separate them first.

I completed our romantic evening by passing out on her floor. Donnel’s almost as much of a charmer as Neumann.

Next time more side stuff and wood grinding.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

LordHippoman posted:

I don’t know if that got changed in future RFs, but games like Stardew Valley seem to NOT actively encourage it.

[...]

So, the money is easy to come by.

These two lines say pretty much everything. In future RF games where passing out just drags you back to the hospital (I think there's one game where you just game over if you run out of HP at any point), you pretty much lose half of your money on the spot.

It's pretty much the same way in Stardew, except you can't game over anywhere in that game.

If Donnel was in any other location except Kardia, he'd be goddamn destitute.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
OTOH, future rune factories give you a usable RP pool that keeps growing with your skills, and energy is basically irrelevant in Stardew after a while. It balances out.

McGwee
May 1, 2012

Misty Bloom loving cave. I remember I was blitzing this game one time and I managed to hit Misty Bloom by like 24ish of spring only to then remember the winter bullshit of Misty Bloom cave. Gah.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I don't know how useful grass is going to be planted in dungeons. Does it ever produce runes?

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Glazius posted:

I don't know how useful grass is going to be planted in dungeons. Does it ever produce runes?

I don't think it does, but I'm just planting it so I have a source of it to get some animal FP going. Although I'm making so much money I could probably just buy huge stacks of it from Camus/Neumann.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Of course the animals love grass, so should everybody :420:

This was a(n) fine update, keep'em coming!

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 28: The Worst Legendary Sword

Time for some Rune Factory. We’re still in Grinding Hell, but hopefully I can start mitigating that soon with a better axe.

The Clinic is basically Donnel’s home at this point.

Anyway, time to get the good Axe!

Leo doesn’t work on rainy days.

I hope the Sechs Empire destroys this lovely village.

After steadily filling the watering can with my own tears, let’s just go make some progress farming in Toros.

The basic Can could use an upgrade as well, once I get done with the Axe. It’s kinda low priority because I don’t like Farming in this Fantasy Farming video game, but only holding 12 charges, that I can only use in 1x1 patterns, does suck.

Anyway I spent the next several minutes doing this.

Well, at least I got all the stumps. (i see you eyeing that twig, don’t you call me out on that.)

Growing the Grazing Grass is going to take a while, though, and I’d like there to be SOME content in this update, so let’s visit Camus for a stopgap.

Buddy I wish I was.

One annoying thing about buying Feed is that you have to do it in stacks of up to 9, because it’s technically an item you can hold. I bought like, 36 here, just in 4 transactions.

Feed is just deposited into those little slots on your Monster Huts. As you can see on the top screen, I’ve got 9 feed in there right now, but the bottom says zero.

That’s because I dumped it all into the other hut, where I put all the animals that give produce benefitting from a higher Friendship level. Basically, combat monsters are still fairly useless, even at high FP. But the better milk/wool/eggs are dependent on it. This is why I didn’t recruit anything after Shaun and D-Dog until Mt. Gigant, it makes it so I can just dump feed into this barn and save on it.

I’ll try to get back to recruiting more monsters and using more names and such after this wood grinding season ends, sorry about that.

Well, let’s go try our hands at some more MAGICAL COMBAT. “Crimson Fire” sounds promising.

Alright Egam, let’s see what you’ve got for us this time.

First off, though, a bath. Logging takes a lot out of Donnel.

So, here we are in Toros. Welcome to the Magic Test Chamber.

The subject has arrived. Crimson Fire!

Uh. Holy poo poo. That all just appears at once, by the way.

It’s kind of hard to tell in screenshots, but that knocked the Demon down as well. Unfortunately, it only did 16 damage, which is, again, less than a sword swipe.

This spell is still bad, but I don’t think it’s as outright useless as most of the others. The stun is a good way to get out of a potentially hairy situation (Although you are stuck standing there channeling it, which kinda ruins that.) Also, if you have a monster, this could buy them some time to whack the spawner or whatever.

Well, back to this.

(can you tell this is the part of the game I was dreading?)

Something I found out here is that apparently you can touch the screen to select tiles of farmland.

Unfortunately, once you’ve selected one, Donnel will not stop trying to move to it. It’s like a gravity well, sucking me towards that rock.

Oh no I made it worse

You can cancel them by pressing them again. It does cause your character to pick up items, but you can’t like, auto-queue a log chop or anything. I had hope for roughly 10 seconds.

I’m sparing everyone the rest of Stump Zone, and instead continuing on my quest to find fun ways to make Donnel pass out.

Hmm…

HEY EDWARD

EDWARD

I’M POISONED

This is not the time, Edward!

Well, time to wait for this to kill me.

It never came.

Apparently Poison just stops ticking at your HP when you’re near death outside of the caves. It might work this way inside too, I’ve never tested it. Huh.

Well, nothing the ol’ exhaustion can’t handle.

Also I lied, Edward has more lines I guess. They really did write a lot of these.

: Someday you are really going to do yourself serious harm.

: Take care of yourself.

: Take care of yourself.

I refuse.

It’s sunny again! That means I can finally get this drat Axe upgraded!

Oh, also this sidequest exists.

: Are you sure?

Yeah, Grimoire’s Sword is required for a marriage. The one we’re going for, actually, Sharron really wants this thing. I don’t know why. She’s interested in the ruins, not the mountain, or Grimoire. But it’s her proposal item.

Anyway, hooray, Grimoire’s sword!

Oddly enough this dialogue triggered, which is supposed to happen when Leo has new items to buy, but he had none. Does he mean the sword?

Seven Silver and 1300g later, the Axe is being forged. This could take a while. What to do in the meantime?

Well, feed the animals, for one. Each monster consumes one Feed from its barn per day. That means that, yes, we could totally keep up just buying it from Camus forever due to how much cash Donnel is constantly rolling in. But I do want to try and show off at least some farming mechanics.

Don’t forget you can pet your monsters!

Don’t forget you have to use the drat brush, not the glove!

I went back to Mt. Gigant to mine, and I couldn’t resist using Crimson Fire some more. It’s oddly satisfying for how bad it is.

I am Donnel, God Of Flame.

These seem to be fairly common drops.

Well, this beats Logging.

Among the findings was this! A rock! Apparently this is the “Earth Crystal”. You know where this is going.

Also, while we’re here, here’s Grimoire’s Sword. It’s not actually usable. I like that our Hoe is apparently a more suitable weapon than the blade made of the scales from a demigod Mountain Dragon. Purely ornamental.

Just wanted to note the best place for mining in Gigant is probably back here, behind the Cockadoodle spawner. You have to put out a fire to get there, but it’s just two uses of the Can.

First things first. The hitboxes in Rune Factory 1 are a little wonky, this counted as me hitting the Cockadoodle, but not the spawner.

Mining levels still feel much less useful than Logging ones, but every bit helps. It’s kind of baffling how much RP logging takes in comparison to literally everything else.

And it’s our second highest skill!

Melody’s at the Ruins today. This is, I think, the only place she goes outside of her house/bath, except on holidays.

Neither can anyone else.

Oh god you guys I don’t think Sharron ever bathes, we’ve made a horrible mistake.

She also evidently hates Earth, because she doesn’t like these Crystals, as opposed to the Fire and Wind ones. The jury is still out on the Water ones. (GUESS WHERE YOU GET THOSE)

It is time to slay the demon with our mighty sword of Grimoire!

Oh. Well, dang.

You can’t get married in this game until the Love points hit 10. You also must have an upgraded house, and the Double Bed from Ivan.

Mining is still a ridiculous moneymaker. I just sell any ores over level 1, because Leo doesn’t give a drat about the level when you ask him to forge with them.

I took another trip mining in Clemens, but I cut it because it’s just about the same thing you’ve seen so many times.

I could make a whole update out of screens of Donnel hitting various stumps, like a montage.

Fastforward to the next day, it’s a Holiday, and that means Ivan.

Ivan must have some buff as hell legs. Why does he even need the stick?

Oh, good. I wanted this.

The two shelves have different capacities, but the Large is only available after you upgrade your house. The small, though, I can get now.

And I do.

The Table Set is totally useless, but it looks nice.

The same rules regarding size apply. The small table is 500g, the large is 1000.

That’s like, less than a Level 1 Gold sells for. We can afford it.

A table! Compete with stools, and a plate, and...a banana? A rubber chicken? Does anyone know what the hell Ivan put in my home?

The shelf gets parked up here, next to the Calendar.

Storing a lot of the more useless spells, and the Sword Of Grimioire. It is not yet time to slay/woo Sharron, I'm not even sure which it is at this point.

And that’s all for this time. Next time, continued desperate paddling through the doldrums.

gently caress misty bloom cave.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 18, 2016

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Maybe the whole Sharron "storyline" is a reverse Lady of the Lake thing. Instead of her giving The Chosen One the sword The Chosen One gives it to her. Also they get married. And it's more of an Excalipur really.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

A lot of things are backwards. In most JRPGs you have to destroy the idyllic peasant village to go to the Sechs Empire [img-uhd-:v:]

Anyway those look like breadsticks and it looks like you're missing one or two images from buying the table set from Ivan and, by substituting things that at least appear as images, it bumped the remaining half-dozen screens of the update up out of their context.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
You appear to have impaled Sharron with an ornamental sword. And then she gave it back.

I do not understand this village.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

LordHippoman posted:

You can cancel them by pressing them again. It does cause your character to pick up items, but you can’t like, auto-queue a log chop or anything. I had hope for roughly 10 seconds.

Tap your tool first, then select squares on the map. This will cause Donnel to use that tool once on each square selected. I think it only does so from directly below, limiting usefulness, but it is nice.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Sir Unimaginative posted:

A lot of things are backwards. In most JRPGs you have to destroy the idyllic peasant village to go to the Sechs Empire [img-uhd-:v:]

Anyway those look like breadsticks and it looks like you're missing one or two images from buying the table set from Ivan and, by substituting things that at least appear as images, it bumped the remaining half-dozen screens of the update up out of their context.

Well, that's what I get for updating at like, 2 AM and proofreading the first...10 images or so. Thanks for the catch, should be fixed now.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Maybe the whole Sharron "storyline" is a reverse Lady of the Lake thing. Instead of her giving The Chosen One the sword The Chosen One gives it to her. Also they get married. And it's more of an Excalipur really.

This game has no Big Bridge, which sucks because I need at least a Small Bridge to get to that stupid cave.

theshim posted:

You appear to have impaled Sharron with an ornamental sword. And then she gave it back.

I do not understand this village.

I'm pretty sure we're reversing the usual trope here, and our plucky rural village is the crazy violence based society. I bet the Sechs Empire is great.

Gnoman posted:

Tap your tool first, then select squares on the map. This will cause Donnel to use that tool once on each square selected. I think it only does so from directly below, limiting usefulness, but it is nice.

Oh, huh. I'll try that out next time, thanks.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Tell me straight, is it going to be a Dark Souls 3 style wedding. It is, isn't it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It really is kind of ridiculous how much you can make out of mining. Have you even done anything with the farmland?

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Glazius posted:

It really is kind of ridiculous how much you can make out of mining. Have you even done anything with the farmland?

Aside from those starting Turnips and getting logs? Nothing. It's just so inefficient.

Mzbundifund posted:

Tell me straight, is it going to be a Dark Souls 3 style wedding. It is, isn't it.

I haven't played DS3 yet, but yes, the Capra Demon has RSVP'd.

AbstractBlacksmith
Mar 26, 2013
Thank you for doing this thread. I've finally caught up with the thread and dusted off my old copy of the game too. I think my first playthrough I married Mist because she was just so weird, and I actually focused on farming so I had turnips everywhere. I actually have the strategy guide for this game so if it isn't too :filez: I can try and show some things off. At least the guide knows about the wall known as Misty Bloom and expects you to do the first 3 dungeons by the end of spring. It's the dumbest poo poo. Also, are you going to get the second glass bottle?

McGwee
May 1, 2012

I did a Tabatha run one time so I had a crap ton of monsters so I ended tilling my whole field and letting my watering and harvest monsters run it. All I did was plant the seeds and crop the wilted.

Mining was still way better but hey might as well put them to work.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Just wanted to note that the update schedule is weird lately because I won't have access to my laptop for a while, it's being lent to a friend of mine, but I'll try and have something up soonish. Honestly I just want to kind of blow through this part of the game once I give everyone a feel for how the general sort of "grinding cycle" works in RF1. There'll be a lot more to show off with the upgraded house, so I'm not worried about that.

AbstractBlacksmith posted:

Thank you for doing this thread. I've finally caught up with the thread and dusted off my old copy of the game too. I think my first playthrough I married Mist because she was just so weird, and I actually focused on farming so I had turnips everywhere. I actually have the strategy guide for this game so if it isn't too :filez: I can try and show some things off. At least the guide knows about the wall known as Misty Bloom and expects you to do the first 3 dungeons by the end of spring. It's the dumbest poo poo. Also, are you going to get the second glass bottle?

You're welcome, glad you enjoyed it! I mean, I'm not entirely clear on how the :filez: nature of that works (digital publication distribution laws are a tangled web of weird sometimes, from someone who works in a similar field), so I guess better safe than sorry with regards to like, direct scans/PDFs or whatever, but if I know strategy guides, there are usually some real dumb quotes and if you want to add those, be my guest.

Also in regards to the spoiler, I'll be getting the one in Mist's house and I'll shoot for the two Festival ones, but by the time that comes around I probably won't need them.

McGwee posted:

I did a Tabatha run one time so I had a crap ton of monsters so I ended tilling my whole field and letting my watering and harvest monsters run it. All I did was plant the seeds and crop the wilted.

Mining was still way better but hey might as well put them to work.

My first playthrough was actually marrying Tabatha too, but I had trouble getting the monsters to water/harvest correctly. I'm not sure if it was a bug or what, it was years ago, but I just remember it not working out.

McGwee
May 1, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

My first playthrough was actually marrying Tabatha too, but I had trouble getting the monsters to water/harvest correctly. I'm not sure if it was a bug or what, it was years ago, but I just remember it not working out.

Well it didn't really work intill the four(?) watering monsters maxed out their hearts, and ditto with the harvesters. Lots of petting.

Still not really worth it.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 29: Get Rich Quick

It’s time to get loaded with gem money. The lack of an Axe means that this period of Pre-Misty Bloom-Grind-Hell is devoted to rocks.

Speaking of Rocks…

Books! A book about rocks!

Russell isn’t even working today, but Donnel pays anyway. He’s nice like that. Also this is a lovely library when you can’t even rent the books.

Our produce animals are giving their products again, but they’re all still at 0 FP, so there’s no upgrade to those for the moment. Also please ignore HiMoo clipping into D-Dog, I’m sure he’s fine.

First destination of the day is Toros, where I discovered I must have missed watering a single eggplant. Whoops.

Would have been nice to have HiMoo’s help here, but she got stuck on the lake. Have I mentioned that monster combat kinda sucks in this game?

Also, HiMoo’s model is so huge she manages to obscure pretty much everything. I swear, I’m not trying to beat my cow with a hammer, I just want that ore.

Back in the Test Chamber, the Test Demon is clipping his spear through Donnel’s neck. That’s rude.

Maybe Egam can help us solve the problem.

Well, that’s one solution.

Stone Spire shoots a line of rocks across a long distance, knocking down any enemies caught in the blast. It sadly also does pretty poo poo damage, but better than most of the other spells we’ve seen. I’d put this in the “good” group of offensive spells, but that’s in Rune Factory terms, so it’s really still crap.

HiMoo also took out the spawner while I was fumbling around for my sword. Thanks, buddy.

If you want to talk about good magic, though, Medication just restored both Donnel and HiMoo to full and cured the cow’s paralysis. That spell owns.

After mining the heck outta Toros, I went home. You sadly cannot take the animals in the house with you.

I’m just dumping off a lot of the ore we get here. It’ll be useful when we can craft things, but it just hogs inventory space otherwise. If I was smart, I’d have dropped off those Bird Wings too, but eh.

Oh, by the way, this game respects food safety laws, and you cannot store things like Milk on your shelf. There’s a special furnishing for that.

Holidays kinda bring all the NPCs out to the streets, like Lara here, who is saying this while I’m at literally about 10 hit points after I mined until Donnel’s arms bled.

Rosetta’s even out of her shop!

Nobody cares about Camus!

After a bath, I decided to drop by the bar again. Mostly to sell stuff, but this is also one of the rare places you can see Edward outside the hospital.

Also Neumann is being kinda creepy about his ex, literally like two feet from her. If only we could resolve this situation.

Be careful, Edward, you might develop a personality.

: I tell you, Donnel, we were meant to live in harmony with the land. Nothing good has ever come from machine civilization.

That has to be one of the most frightening things to hear from your doctor.

Regardless, one mining trip into Toros yielded a fifth of the money required to build the upgraded house. If only logging was like, half that fast.

So, because it’s a holiday, there’s something we can get at the Library that I totally forgot about until now, which is why this screenshot is out of nowhere, I was just killing time.

If you talk to Cecilia in her room upstairs…

More precious gems!

That’s the dumbest reason to like something I’ve ever heard, Lara.

Yes, this is Lara’s proposal item. Because it starts with “La”. Yeah, I...uh...I dunno.

So whatever let’s get hitched.

: I’m sorry.

Well, it was worth a shot.

Have fun on the shelf for eternity, Lapis Lazuli.

The evening mining trip took Donnel to Clemens. The only obnoxious thing about this cave now is that, to get the ore in the first room, I have to fight these ants, who still have a miniscule chance of inflicting Seal, the only thing Medication can’t cure. I’ve still got the cures in my inventory, but it would be slightly more annoying than usual.

I love the way Donnel hops when you do a charged up swing of the hammer.

Just wanted to note that he still has this reaction to the Titan room, despite this being easily the tenth or more time I’ve been in here.

The haul was really good this time, including this Ruby, which is worth nearly 12K BY ITSELF. There’s a reason I wanted the Silver Hammer ASAP.

Long story short, we’ve got all the money for the house now. Please avert your eyes from the Wood counter.

So, I spent the rest of the evening petting HiMoo. You only get FP for petting a monster once per day, but it does continue to give you EXP in the Communication skill, which makes befriending them easier in the future.

Of course, this eventually caused Donnel to collapse. All according to plan.

It’s Monday, so Russell has some interesting books in.

These will be necessary to make our own weapons and armor once the house upgrade comes along. They’re pretty drat expensive, but I want them all.

This last one is particularly pricey.

I’d complain about losing 25% of our funds on books we can’t use yet, but I’ll have that back soon enough. Like KatanariSword mentioned earlier, money is way easier to come by in RF1 than the later games, because they apparently start punishing you for forcing yourself to collapse every day? I dunno if I like the direction this series is taking.

I was getting Axe jitters.

Communication! Hooray! This one takes a while to raise.

With Fried aside me, I head into Toros again. This is sort of the route I’m using for all these ore grinding days.

Toros>Bath>Clemens>Faint

The Eggplants have all sprouted now (I have no idea if that’s the correct term), and the Grazing Grass is...uh...it’s doing something. I think that’s growing. Either that or my game is bugged.

It is hard as hell to tell which tiles you have watered on these. This screenshot is even blown up to double size of the usual game screen.

During my mining, laying a beatdown on this sheep, which is laying a beatdown on Fried, gets me another Level Up. I can’t complain.

Mist is at our farm again, and she has a few lines I didn’t know were in the game.

: Grow a vegetable with a better seed and put it in the Seed Maker and out will come an even better seed. In other words, keep repeating this and the quality of seed will keep getting better!

I guess they do explain that in game? I thought they didn’t. It’s still overly tedious and not worth it when mining money exists, but it’s nice that you don’t totally have to bumble into figuring out how to upgrade your crops.

Rosetta I’m just here to sell rocks.

Another bath later, and it’s time for additional mining.

I got a ton of Fire Crystals this time, it was strange.

Thankfully, we know what to do with them. Keep in mind this is a full stack of eight, and if you give it to her, yes, she takes the whole stack.

It also doesn’t appear to raise LP any more than normal. Womp womp.

Also the bar is closed, so I can’t even dump off the rest of my findings.

Thanks, Sabrina.

Speaking of Sabrina, I wonder if Neumann can continue that sidequest, now that he’s not at the bar?

The answer is no.

Back to this. I actually tried to shove HiMoo into the corner so I could brush away without aiming, but she wandered off. Tricky cow.

Donnel is actually going to bed tonight, because I totally remembered and definitely did not google out of frustration that you need to talk to Sabrina in her house to continue the sidequest chain. Since she’s usually at the bar all night, morning is the best time to catch her there.

Time to go bother her at 6:00 AM about her failed marriage!

Getting right to the point, aren’t you, Donnel?

: I don’t remember.

: Sabrina, I know Neumann really regrets what he did.

Is Donnel giving people aggressive mid-conversation therapy now? One sec.

: But there is also Nicholas to think of. There are times when a boy needs his father.

: What? Don’t be so insolent! You’re still a child yourself, Donnel.

: I’m sorry.

: But, like you say, Nicholas is so fond of Neumann.

Ah, there we go. We’re nearly done with the quest now. Or, we would be, if getting into Kasimir didn’t require clearing…

Misty bloom cave

gently caress

: But...please don’t tell this to Neumann. Promise me.

: Why not?

: The chalice must be handed to a couple by a third party. Neither I nor Neumann may touch it again.

This dumb cup has a ton of rules. Why don’t we just get Sharron to grab it, she can get in there.

: Right.

: If the chalice is ever returned to me, I may even consider taking Neumann back.

Even if he didn’t do anything to get it back? Okay.

Talking to Sabrina again reveals another clue to the Chalice’s location. We’ll deal with that in the future. A ways in the future. Because Misty Bloom Cave.

At least the axe is done.

Dammit.

Next time probably like 50 shots of Donnel hitting a stump. Also maybe something interesting. I hope.

I swear this hump ends eventually.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Another thing RF3 did better? Your house grew automatically after you advanced the plot. I don't remember how much wood the double-bed required, but I doubt it was this ridiculous.

AbstractBlacksmith
Mar 26, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

I swear this hump ends eventually.

I can attest the grinding is real, and the game won't let you escape it. I managed to scrape together enough lumber by the end of the first month by literally forsaking everything else to sweep the dungeons daily for lumber. I even undid all the tiles I plowed so more stumps would spawn. I finish resource gathering on a Holiday so that the next day, Monday, I can sell all my ore to Neumann and get the drat house.

It rained on Monday. Neumann won't work in the rain. This game knows I'm trying to speedrun to get to the crafting.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

AbstractBlacksmith posted:

I can attest the grinding is real, and the game won't let you escape it. I managed to scrape together enough lumber by the end of the first month by literally forsaking everything else to sweep the dungeons daily for lumber. I even undid all the tiles I plowed so more stumps would spawn. I finish resource gathering on a Holiday so that the next day, Monday, I can sell all my ore to Neumann and get the drat house.

It rained on Monday. Neumann won't work in the rain. This game knows I'm trying to speedrun to get to the crafting.

Neumann exists to spite you, poorly word his requests (2000 Wood costs 200,000 Gold! Yes, of course that means you need both.), use a woman slowly withering away of Rock Curse Disease as manual labor, and watch his ex-wife and maybe son (???) from across town.

What I'm saying is that Neumann is the worst and I might just be a little biased on that after these past three or so updates.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...oh. You can't just dump your giant pile of gold on extra wood. I guess that would make too much sense.

McGwee
May 1, 2012

The later games do try to fix mining and fainting. Mining becomes annoying in 2 due to most dungeons only having like 4 ore spots total and they don't respawn when you leave, only when the day changes. So if you need to find a gem stone I hope you got it in the first couple strikes! 3 and 4 aren't so bad about it but 1 is the only one that prints gold with mining.

2 actually has a hard time getting started due to both how mining changed and that all the seeds cost more gold so its harder to get a profit going.

I'm not sure about 2, but I know 3 and 4 really punish you for fainting. The first times free but after that they start charging an arm and leg, then up the price for each time you faint afterwards. So enjoy mining fainting now, for it soon shall end.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
On the flip side, you have to be actively trying to faint in 4 once you're past the very early game. You get tons of RP and easy ways to restore it.

It's been a while since I've played 3, but I remember it working out similarly.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I've only played 3, but it's very easy to get mass quantities of food that restores RP, and not just set amounts, bit percentages of your max RP, so they never go obsolete.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Mzbundifund posted:

I've only played 3, but it's very easy to get mass quantities of food that restores RP, and not just set amounts, bit percentages of your max RP, so they never go obsolete.

That's another thing I think is worth mentioning with this one, the RP restored from food, especially the stuff you can buy, is just a super awful amount. IIRC, some of the food you can craft yourself is better about that, but for that you need a high Cooking skill and an upgraded house. And by that time, you've probably already done the bulk of the grind needed to just sorta stroll through the caves as an avatar of Farming and Death. Most food has some special properties, like temporarily (Or permanently, with some Medicines) raising certain stats, but the game never tells you, and the only way to know is to check your stat screen before and after eating.

Rune Factory 1 is not the most user friendly experience. Even in spite of that, and the last...4 or so updates, I do still have a soft spot for this game, but it sounds like the sequels are a lot stronger.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

LordHippoman posted:

Rune Factory 1 is not the most user friendly experience. Even in spite of that, and the last...4 or so updates, I do still have a soft spot for this game, but it sounds like the sequels are a lot stronger.

2 is kind of a sidegrade since it makes a few....... shall we say questionable decisions in the name of narrative pacing (hope you like your ability to cook linked to the plot instead of a purchase!) and lacks a lot of the later QoL improvements, but 3 and 4 are decidedly improved as far as gameplay flow, yes. They're still kind of opaque in the way stats work, but there's a lot more room to just do your own thing as opposed to smashing your face against an ore rock all day every day.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It continues to baffle me that you could have an RPG made in the last 15 years that has an opaque, confusing interface and bad design choices. We've had CRPGs/JRPGs for over 30 years now, there's no reason to be repeating the same design mistakes over and over again!

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

2 is kind of a sidegrade since it makes a few....... shall we say questionable decisions in the name of narrative pacing (hope you like your ability to cook linked to the plot instead of a purchase!) and lacks a lot of the later QoL improvements, but 3 and 4 are decidedly improved as far as gameplay flow, yes. They're still kind of opaque in the way stats work, but there's a lot more room to just do your own thing as opposed to smashing your face against an ore rock all day every day.

I've looked up a few things with regards to the RF sequels, not for the purpose of LPing them, due to having no experience with them (As opposed to my astounding, "oh hey I played this like 5 years ago, let's do it" experience with this one), but just to check them out, and yeah, it seems like 2 commits a lot of weird sins with regards to pacing and locking out features until something fairly significant happens, and then 3/4 smooth out pretty well. I'm not sure about the Wii one, I didn't look into it much.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It continues to baffle me that you could have an RPG made in the last 15 years that has an opaque, confusing interface and bad design choices. We've had CRPGs/JRPGs for over 30 years now, there's no reason to be repeating the same design mistakes over and over again!

Certain bits of this aren't really too surprising to me, it's got some of that "Meaningful upgrades after a load of work!" that just translates to "Look, you're gonna spend a few hours grinding this out and then try and banish it from your memory forever" issue, which is still common in modern games. But the stuff that really, really blows is pretty mind boggling. The stats having absolutely zero explanation outside the vague bits in the manual feels like something from an early PC game, and time gated dungeons like Misty Bloom completely go against the general trend of the game being "relaxed farming sim". It's not like something like Persona 4, where there's a clear reason presented for the time limits that makes sense with the narrative and adds more of a strategic element to the way you spend days and such, it just feels super out of place in this game.

Basically this is a bunch of :words: because the next update is being worked on and is pretty uneventful, but I've got a few ideas. Slowly but surely, we will reach the end of The Wood Ouroboros, and I will give the one remaining thread viewer a high five.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 30: Fifteen Screenshots Of Donnel Hitting A Stump

You were forewarned.

Welcome back to Rune Factory.

The love of HiMoo should make you feel comfortable as you descend into the pit of madness.

Sadly, Leo didn’t have the Axe ready today, I must have miscounted, so I just did a mining run and went to bed.

But now…

Yes! Power courses through my veins! Level 3 Axe!

Speaking of Level 3, that’s the highest Leo can elevate one of your tools. You need to use the Smithing function to get them stronger, but that requires...you guessed it, the house upgrade. So basically, we’re now at the best possible chopping speed for farming the upgrade.

Toros Cave contained the first Stump to fall to our new weapon. That’s a lot less RP than it used to take. Stumps go down in 3 fully charged hits now, which is also significantly faster. It still feels slow.

Oh, hey, another stump.

Let me tell you, I love stumps.

So, has anybody played that new World Of Warcraft expansion? I hear that’s good.

It’s got that purple dude with the tattoos people like. I was never really into it, but he’s all over my browser ads.

I know what you’re thinking “Hippoman, shut the gently caress up, also that’s a twig”, but every twig counts. Everything that brings me closer to 2000 Wood helps to heal my soul.

See that? That’s another 1 wood. That’s 1/2000th of the way there. In one screenshot. Fascinating.

Stairs? Where could they lead?

My god...more wood.

So, y’all seen that Stranger Things show?

I don’t even have a joke there, I’m just trying to be topical.

I might as well get some Camping points while I’m out here.

That stump regrew overnight!

It must not survive.

A whole new room! Full of wood!

So have y’all seen that Daredevil? Good show.

After a long day of wood chopping, it seems Donnel has a letter!

What? There might be content after all?

Thankfully, HiMoo is happy to supply the milk. It’s a dairy show, after all. I don’t think Cheese or Yogurt works, just FYI.

This triangular box is going to be Donnel’s magnum opus.

But I should get the Watering Can upgrade from Leo.

And then pass out.

:frogsiren: DAIRY FESTIVAL

You may note this is the first Festival we’ve encountered that Donnel can actually participate in! What a milestone! But first, let’s see what wise words the villagers have for us.

I thought they were called Peekamoos. Aren’t Buffamos the male ones?

Does...does Wesley think milk is piss?

I’m beginning to think Sabrina has a problem.

I will destroy this man and his stupid shoulder strap.

I don’t know what it is about Jean, but I read all of his lines in such an :effort: voice, and this was really funny to me for some reason.

Russell has hidden Lactose Intolerance, I guess?

If I wasn’t going to make the stupid log joke, this would be the update title.

A lot of Tabatha’s lines in particular seem to do this thing where parts of other, completely different conversations just butt their way in. I’m not sure what’s up with that.

:allears: Jasper.

We now must deposit our entry directly into the Maw Of The Jasper.

Now, you have to like, pasteurize this, and make sure it’s safe, and-

Well.

: How good is this! I have sampled all of this year’s milk, and so its time to announce the winner.

Why do you make it so hard to love you, Jasper.

Go gently caress yourself, Sirius.

Oh, I make that much on a rock. Eh. Not too concerned. I definitely didn’t reload like, four times to see if this was random chance. Not me.

I think my cow hates me.

So, it turns out all the villagers get new lines after you win/lose the festivals. They really aren’t very interesting, it’s mostly just “Better luck next year!”

:colbert:

Donnel stomps off, axe in hand.

THIS IS MY HAPPY PLACE.

So, have y’all heard about...gently caress, I’m out of references.

I won’t lie, this part of the game is a huge drag. I’m going to be offscreening most of it from now on. But I had limited time to put together an update this week, had some overtime at my job when I usually do this, so this update happened. I feel like it’s, at least, a good taste of what the Wood Grind feels like.

On the bright side, the Ignis dropped a treasure!

Unfortunately it’s poo poo.

So yeah. My sincerest apologies about this part of the game. I considered doing a dumb joke like sticking the DLC maps from FE12 in here, but...eh.

I promise we’ll have content again, one day.

Also I miss my watering can.

Only 1253 Logs to go!

this was a mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, one thing I don't like about RF3 (I don't know if it's the same in here) is that you need to manually carry axed logs to the log storage. I know they're needed for some crafting stuff, but I think it would have been so much better if they automatically went to storage and you could just take logs out for crafting if you want. I actually don't think you can take logs out of storage, so even if you have 1000 logs in log storage but no stumps/sticks in sight or any logs in the inventory then you're out of luck if you need one. I guess some enemies can drop logs/sticks.

On the other hand, another great thing about RF3 is that you can actually fight okay with your tools once they're upgraded and you have good magic and/or skills! So if you really want you can go "weaponless" to save on inventory space. Skills let you ignore the tools' normally crappy attack animations while taking advantage of their upgraded stats (hammer, axe), and some tools are really great for magic when upgraded (watering can, fishing rod maybe?).

• Locked thread