Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I haven't played RF3, but this game is really primitive compared to RF4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.
3 has the better cast out of the two (3/4) but 4 has better gameplay and there's some quality of life upgrades between the two (like being able to have things stack, despite their quality levels - in 3 you can only stack them if they're of the same level. In 4 it all stacks together not matter the level.)

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Update 36: mistybloomcavehappens

Well, this has been a long time coming. Fair warning, this update is lengthy.

Welcome to the lovely ocean zone. I’m kinda surprised Mist didn’t show up.

Oh, never mind. I just had to take a few more steps than usual.

Please do not compliment Misty Bloom Cave.

: This would be a great place to bring a date, don’t you think, Donnel?

: Huh? Uh...I guess…

: But it would never do with all these monsters!

: If you say so…

: You know, Donnel, sometimes I just don’t get you!

: You...don’t get me?

Mist is there a reason you came down here or

: Isn’t that kind of strange?

: Do you think it might have something to do with you?

Donnel that’s dumb.

: Nah, I doubt it!

: Okay…

: Well, I’m going to head back now. Watch yourself!

: I guess there’s no point anymore in asking her why she’s always at the new caves I go to…

: Oh, I almost forgot! You can only enter this cave in winter. So if you’re in there for a long time, and it turns spring…

: I won’t be able to come out?

: Exactly! So keep a careful eye on your calendar. I suppose if you had the “Teleport” magic book, you’d be able to get out, even in Spring. You can buy Teleport at the library. Okay! Toodleloo!

:frogsiren: NOPE :frogsiren:

Okay, so, this is a...this is an extremely Rune Factory 1 thing. What else could make Misty Bloom Cave the worst thing in the game?

If you guessed “Game Breaking Bug” then congrats! If you use the sleeping bag here, on the last day of Winter…it can corrupt your save file and make it unplayable.

To make it worse, Mist here pretty much EXPRESSLY TELLS YOU that there’s an out for that situation! But it can completely gently caress up your save and remove all of your progress. So, I mean, bottom line: Don’t Trust Mist, gently caress Misty Bloom Cave.

Let’s just get into it now. The first enemies you’ll encounter are these reskins of the very first foes we fought, the Orcs. These are High Orcs. They have a melee attack and that’s it.

You’ll notice HiMoo is a pretty efficient tank now. That’s because, with 10 FP, her HP is over, like, 600, and she can do a good job of pulling enemies away while you attack the spawner.

Still doesn’t do much damage, though.

The next enemy you can barely see here, but it’s right under HiMoo. It’s a...fish? It’s called the “Sky Fish”, and it’s a wizard. They’ll use Aqua Laser and Swordstorm, and can Seal you with melee hits. Honestly not a huge threat. There are actually two different fish enemies in Misty Bloom, but it is hard as hell to tell them apart.

So, going counter-clockwise around this big rock in the first room, you have the High Orcs, the Sky Fish, and then...needlessly dangerous two rocks.

The special gem for Misty Bloom shouldn’t be too surprising, it’s an Aquamarine. Because...water.

Also, Water Crystals are common here. Thankfully this isn’t the ONLY place you can get them, though, thanks to the season restriction.

Exiting the first room brings you into this big, empty area with really not much worth talking about.

There’s one spawner to the southwest that has another reskinned Carmite enemy, the Orc Hunters. They’ve traded off the Seal of their predecessors for Paralyze, and they can have two of themselves up at once. That’s about the only difference. They do hurt, though.

The right side of the room is mostly just more rocks and random poison tiles. Misty Bloom adores smattering these things all over for no reason. It’s really just to annoy you, because this is Misty Bloom Cave we’re talking about. There is one exit on the right side, though, which is important.

It leads to another spawner. This is NOT a Sky Fish, because those were blue. This is gray, and it’s called a “Shira”. They also have an additional trick up their sleeves. (Scales? Fins?)

They fire these purple balls and sap HP from you. It’s honestly not a big deal (7 HP. :effort:) but it’s a cool spell effect, at least. The rest of their toolkit is the same as the Sky Fish.

It was guarding some stumps. That’s nice. Back to the main room.

And onto the next one. I dismissed HiMoo because it was getting hard to take screenshots with a massive cow in the way, and she was nearly at 0 HP anyway.

This is...another one of these.

A trap room.

The opponent here is a pretty versatile caster, the “Hitodama”. They’ll use Swordstorm and Aqua Laser.

They have like, no HP though. So long, ghost pal.

The next room contains...uh…

What the gently caress is that.

Allegedly this is a “Shadow Panther”, although it looks more like a dinosaur to me. It slowly bumbles around and tries to slowly melee you. It’s kind of a sad thing to watch.

This feels dirty.

So, while Donnel takes a calming fishing trip here, I’ll run down this last main room. It’s a circle with a tail at the top left quadrant. I’ll be going through it clockwise.

Yeah, this is a pretty short dungeon. That’s one not awful thing about it.

Alright, let’s go.

There’s a nice dock for fishing here. How pleasant.

The exit to the east leads to this very sad fire wall. You’re surrounded by water!

Inside is the place I will go to do my plowing for this dumb cave.

Oh, also another Shira. This guy sucks, because while you’re trying to dance around the poison tiles to get to him, he’ll slap you with an Aqua Laser. Now, I could have used the sword beams…

gently caress

Hindsight is 20/20, Misty Bloom is awful.

Thankfully I brought food.

The RP it restores is still pitiful, but it’s enough for a Medicate, which is really what matters.

Rejuvenated, I head to the southern part of the circle, which has...scorpions.

They’re just called “Scorpion”s, and unlike most of the Rune Factory insects, they’re pretty harmless. They can inflict Poison and Paralysis, but only with a slow, awkward melee attack, and their HP pools are pretty weak.

Sword Beam makes short work of ‘em.

There’s also another side room! This one is on the northern edge of the circle.

More farmland! This is also one of two rooms you can catch the Lover Snapper in, with a maxed out fishing rod. You need it to marry Mei, but you also have to do that WiFi bullshit that’s actually impossible now. So, uh, don’t marry Mei.

Anyway here’s some Blue Mushrooms. These “Tricky Mush” are pretty much the same as the ones in Mt. Gigant. Just higher stats. I don’t know what the trick is.

Once all those spawners are dealt with, follow the tail south of that room to reach the next area.

There are some more High Orcs, but they aren’t really a threat.

Ice Cream break.

Again, pitiful RP recovery, but so long as it’s enough for Medicate, I’ll take it. Here’s the door for this dungeon. It’s a nice looking door, I’m not sure how it got stuck in Misty Bloom.

All doors open before Donnel.

The final stretch of Misty Bloom Cave has no spawners, just...more poison for some reason. You can catch the Lover Snapper here too.

...Tempting. But not now.

There’s also a save point before the end of this room, so you can probably guess what that means.

Boss room. The usual door in our way is replaced with a coral thing here, which is a nice touch. Honestly, this cave looks pretty nice visually, but everything else about it is...Misty Bloom Cave.

Still, not going to that boss yet. Time to bathe, then I’ll knock this cave out.

Oh, also grabbing the Large Kitchen and Fridge from Ivan. Large Kitchen will let me buy those appliances I couldn’t last time, the Large Fridge just holds more stuff.

Okay, NOW it’s time for the boss fight.

A strange sound is coming from the pool…

: You think so too, Mist?

: Yes.

: I think you’re right. You’d better stand back.

: All right.

I swear, they have less to talk about every time.

So this boss doesn’t show up at first, which you already know is a great sign. There is a shadow moving around below, though…

Ahh! A mermaid!

This is Siren. She’s got 1300 HP, which is way more than Grimoire’s 999, and you have much less time to attack her. You can’t really brute force this one. She’s also incredibly obnoxious, and very resistant to Water and Fire. So the Cyclone Sword is a good bet.

Every once in a while she’ll pop out of the water like this and sit down to cast a spell. She’s got a few. One annoying thing is that she’s totally invincible while climbing out of the water, or jumping back in. She’s only vulnerable while she’s wholly on land. It’s dumb, and you’ll rarely have time for more than one combo.

And here’s the worst part of the fight. She summons a Hitodama. This rear end in a top hat is just going to float in the middle of the arena and spam Aqua Laser and Swordstorm at you. Forever. While you cannot hit him with your melee attacks.

This is why I really wanted a sword that could use the charge/Sword Beams for this fight, otherwise you cannot damage this thing. You can just ignore it, but it will be targeting you the entire battle, and Siren herself is annoying enough to catch up to without this guy peppering you the whole time.

Siren too, has an Aqua Laser. Two of them, just like your old pal Chimera.

This is usually what the fight can turn into. Frantically trying to cast Medicate while the Hitodama spams Swordstorm and keeps interrupting you.

Here’s a good moment where a fatal Swordstorm hit me as I was Medicate-ing, so I somehow died with HP still on the bar.

But, with Sword Beams, and some effort…

You can kill the Hitodama. (you could use magic too but...why?)

Then she’ll usually just summon another one immediately. Sorry about the flicker on these shots, but this fight is a mess of poo poo flying everywhere and the DS hates it.

The narrowness of this ring of land doesn’t help matters, as it’s hard to avoid both enemies’ projectiles. Sometimes you get into situations like this, where I really can’t approach Siren without getting caught in crossfire and taking a ton of unnecessary damage.

She also has this attack, where she’ll stop and start singing, sending music notes scattering across the arena.

Touching them makes you take damage and a status ailment. I got poisoned here. These are hard to avoid, as they kinda wriggle around, and as stated, no dodging room.

She’ll spend most of this fight underwater. It’s worth mentioning that there are only 4 spots in the room she can pop out, so if you memorize them, you can usually get to her faster when she surfaces. The location of the shadow isn’t really a good indicator.

Oh, also she can heal herself for 200 HP. Just kinda whenever she feels like it.

I don’t like Siren.

And, like all Rune Factory bosses, she will turn Red and get mad at low HP

And summon another drat Hitodama :smith:

There’s so much going on in this fight that I’d recommend pausing to swap to a healing item. It’s much easier that way.

While she’s Red, Siren’s two Aqua Lasers become four Aqua Lasers. Good luck dodging any of that.

She also surfaces/dives much faster, so you really have almost no margin for error when it comes to reaching her on time to do decent damage.

I had to panic eat a Sashimi while she was underwater so I could get a Medicate off. As you can see, her notes can paralyse you too!

Stick on her, avoid/kill the Hitodama, and pray, and you’ll eventually get this.

gently caress Misty Bloom Cave.

: Are you okay, Donnel?

Debatable.

: Say, how’s your memory? Have you been able to remember anything yet?

: No. No luck yet.

: Well, I’m sure it’ll come back in time.

: Yeah.

: So there was a monster here after all.

: It seems so.

: Do you think something big is going down?

I’m sorry, I don’t really have any jokes about like, the fourth time we’ve had this conversation.

: I can’t be sure, but perhaps.

: Donnel, isn’t it dangerous to go to any more caves?

: It’s dangerous, but if there is something going on in our world, I can’t just ignore it.

: You know Donnel, you’re different than most people.

: Really?

: Whatever you used to do before you came to our town, I bet it involved a lot of responsibility.

: Well, I wish I could just remember.

: Do you think if your memory comes back...you’ll leave this town?

I just upgraded my house, no way.

: I’m not sure. But it doesn’t seem I’ll have to make that decision anytime soon.

: Oh, right… Well, I’d better get back.

: Okay.

And I never have to come back here again.

I mean, except to do all the field plowing, and then taming any monsters I might want from here, and smashing all those rocks.

But in a way? I never have to come back here again.

So, now that I’ve finished Misty Bloom Cave, Donnel’s heart is strong. He is prepared. He can do this.

Go, Donnel!

(i love how donnel’s expression doesn’t change)

WELP.

She even took our sword.

Alright, going back and doing that for real.

: Everyone says I’m strange...I’m only interested in the ruins.

: That’s fine. That’s the Sharron I fell in love with.

: I’m so happy. Finally...I found something other than the ruins to be absorbed in.

: Yeah.

(Still a real charmer, Donnel)

: Okay...shall we go?

Next time Donnel gets married.

Feel free to submit names for any monsters encountered in Misty Bloom Cave!

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Haha wow it seriously zeroes out your friendship and love points? That's great, I love it. Unless you lose the sword and can't get it back, locking you out of marrying her forever, in which case it's bad and I hate it. Can you gently caress up all the proposals like this?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
...How did this game get a sequel?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Yeah, I'm thankful we got RF4 out of it, but I'm also wondering this too.

Actually, how much of an improvement was RF2 over this game?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yeah, I'm thankful we got RF4 out of it, but I'm also wondering this too.

Actually, how much of an improvement was RF2 over this game?

It was a sidegrade. The combat is still obnoxious but you spend about the third of the game as Ginger RagunaDonnel, find a wife, and then spend the other two-thirds of the game as his kid.

Instead of buying a kitchen and fridge and crafting stations for your home like in RF1, you just flat out don't get the ability to craft items in any capacity until you're a kid and can mooch off your school's equipment. Ironically, this means if you're trapped at home during a storm you've just flat out got a day's worth of wasted RP you can do literally nothing with. All of the monster drops and most ores from Gold down are easily farmable as Dad before the timeskip, but afterwards, when you can craft, dungeon difficulty spikes upward exponentially.

The characters are slightly less obnoxious, but still pretty unimportant and cardboard. You lose a chunk of your money if you pass out in the streets like a vagrant. There's another Jasper and he's still the best character.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Cattail Prophet posted:

Haha wow it seriously zeroes out your friendship and love points? That's great, I love it. Unless you lose the sword and can't get it back, locking you out of marrying her forever, in which case it's bad and I hate it. Can you gently caress up all the proposals like this?

There are rejection options with almost all the proposals, yes. I looked them up real quick. Mist flat out will not let you refuse once you start. Most of them will destroy your LP/FP, but Tabatha's does not for whatever reason.

Some of the funnier options include Melody saying "I love you" and Donnel replying "I LOVE A GOOD BATH!", Bianca asking "What she's thinking right now" and Donnel replying "your dad's fat" (how could you), and you telling Tori you only gave her the Large Milk (her proposal item is Large Milk for some reason) because "I had to get rid of some milk."

I'm not entirely sure if they destroy the proposal items, but I wouldn't be too surprised, considering that you can do stuff like just accidentally give them to the wrong person and then lose them forever. (If you recall the Jasper White Stone incident).

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

It also got a remake! EDIT: Whoops, I'm wrong, it was a direct sequel.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 6, 2016

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

It also got a remake!

Was it any better?

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

Was it any better?

I haven't played it, and upon further research (I read the drat wiki page, instead of just skimming this time. I'm very professional :v:), it's not really a remake, it's a direct sequel to RF1.

Some characters return, you still play as Donnel/Raguna, but from what I've read about it, it does seem to be a pretty solid improvement.

There's no Jasper, but evidently Bianca is attempting to follow in her dad's footsteps by becoming really good at eating stuff. An honorable goal.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 6, 2016

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

LordHippoman posted:

Someone who has actually played Rune Factory: Frontier can probably explain this better.

I haven't played RFF, I'm just quoting this to note that you should not trust Metacritic for Rune Factory scores, as it ranks RFF as the highest in the series, a whole single point over RF1 and RF4, which are tied for second.

Yeah, Metacritic's aggregate ranks the first game as equal to the fourth. And 2 and 3 as worse.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Wait, so if you warp out of Misty Bloom Cave in the beginning of spring like Mist tells you to, it screws up your save? How?? :psyduck: Did the playtesters miss that or something?

Oh, and how much of an improvement was RF3 over 2? I've only played 4 but it feels really different from this.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
No, no, it's if you use your sleeping bag on the last day of Winter while inside Misty Cave that can lead to save corruption.

RF3 was a massive upgrade to 2. No more locked out from mechanics due to plot, characters are far more colourful albeit in ANIME style :sparkles:, and much more to do in terms of everything. Gameplay got intuitive and remarkably smooth. You are forced to marry someone before you can completely clear the game, however.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.

KataraniSword posted:

I haven't played RFF, I'm just quoting this to note that you should not trust Metacritic for Rune Factory scores, as it ranks RFF as the highest in the series, a whole single point over RF1 and RF4, which are tied for second.

Yeah, Metacritic's aggregate ranks the first game as equal to the fourth. And 2 and 3 as worse.

B-Blasphemy! 3? Worse?! What kind of monkeys do they have working at Metacritic? 3 is obviously the best (well, second best - best characters, but 4 does systems a lot better).

3 is such a huge jump that I can't even go back and play 2 without facepalming every time I even think of the pain the systems will bring me. And 2 was a bit of an upgrade to 1, so...

3 is a lot more intuitive though it has a few issues (there's never enough room for storing stuff, mainly). The cast makes it my favourite of the series, but 4 is a close second. I'd rather play the original Harvest Moon over 1 and 2, if that gives you any indication. (Though, to be fair, the SNES HM was pretty nice in an oldschool way. The systems were actually not that bad considering, though characters were understandably pretty bland. I always married Anne~<3)

silversatyr fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 7, 2016

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Aggregate review sites just average the reviews from all other sources they are provided, so it's not any one failing of monkeys. Also, it's not as much a failing as you'd think - Rune Factory Frontier is sitting at 79 aggregate, RF1/4 are at 78, with RF2/3 at 77 and Tides of Destiny at a whopping 55. As for why RFs 1 and 2 are that high despite being worse games? Several factors:
  • For its time, RF was a groundbreaker. Sure, Harvest Moon DS had toyed with the idea of combat, but never before was there a game that tried to implement dungeoneering and farming in equal amounts. It was a chocolate-and-peanut-butter thing and only got worse with age when the formula was improved.
  • By contrast, RF3 and 4 are refinements to the system, they don't really bring very much new to the table. They're solid, and they're good improvements, but they won't have that solid push of hype that the original had due to its at the time novel concepts.
  • RF4 particularly got hurt by XSeed's localization - not the quality of it, but the fact it took quite a while to come out. 15 month turnarounds for translation would be customary for a game back in the NES/SNES days, but as time and technology improve, people get more and more impatient, and that hurts perception.
  • I'd also personally speculate that RF4 got hurt by the differing budgets between Natsume and XSeed. If you don't think that getting good reviews is something factored into advertisement budget, you'd be mistaken - I'm not talking about buyoffs, even, but just getting preview/review copies to big sites/mags is pretty important for generating positive outlook.
  • As for Tides' comically low score compared to the rest, it was pretty universally shat on for being a no-frills PS3 port of a Wii game; the Wii version scored higher but didn't get enough reviews to actually get a proper aggregate. (The piss-poor translation/localization probably hurt, too.)

For the record, the user scores (which is to say, unofficial player reviews, both on that site and on sites like GameFAQs/etc) place RF3 decently above the others (8.6 over the next-highest 8.4), but follow much of the same breakdown - RF Frontier as best after that, followed by RF1 and RF4 tied with each other and RF2 lagging in the back.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Oct 7, 2016

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
That's just great, now I'm sad we didn't keep the white stone so we could pull one over Rosetta :devil:

Nah, I wouldn't do something like that (usually).

Dating is also more refined in RF3, you can take your date to different spots, one for each season (though they're available all year... it's complicated), and different bachelorettes have different favorite dating spots. Also you can take them out to dungeon crawl with you. It's a bonding experience (unless they get KO'd)

Anywho, it's great that Donnel and Sharron are finally getting together! Hopefully Mist gets the hint.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Anywho, it's great that Donnel and Sharron are finally getting together! Hopefully Mist gets the hint.

Misty Bloom Cave isn't the last cavern Mist has comments about

AbstractBlacksmith
Mar 26, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

I haven't played it, and upon further research (I read the drat wiki page, instead of just skimming this time. I'm very professional :v:), it's not really a remake, it's a direct sequel to RF1.

Some characters return, you still play as Donnel/Raguna, but from what I've read about it, it does seem to be a pretty solid improvement.

There's no Jasper, but evidently Bianca is attempting to follow in her dad's footsteps by becoming really good at eating stuff. An honorable goal.

I enjoyed RFF, but I'm also an apologist for the whole series. There are some mechanics in RFF that are great, like the easy crafting system and the cute animations, and then some that make me shake my head courting Eunice by basically saying 'no fat chicks'.

In RF1, you have to be prepared to make your own goals, as the things you do normally aren't really rewarded until later games. Example: you can level up crop seeds in all of the games, but only in the later games do the stores "remember" that you've sold a lv 10 seed and can re-buy it. In RF1 if you level up your crops you have to remember to save the good ones, because the stores will only sell lv1 forever.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

AbstractBlacksmith posted:

I enjoyed RFF, but I'm also an apologist for the whole series. There are some mechanics in RFF that are great, like the easy crafting system and the cute animations, and then some that make me shake my head courting Eunice by basically saying 'no fat chicks'.

In RF1, you have to be prepared to make your own goals, as the things you do normally aren't really rewarded until later games. Example: you can level up crop seeds in all of the games, but only in the later games do the stores "remember" that you've sold a lv 10 seed and can re-buy it. In RF1 if you level up your crops you have to remember to save the good ones, because the stores will only sell lv1 forever.

You can marry Eunice without her slimming down. You just never see her in a swimsuit in that case

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 37: I Do-nnel

I’d like to thank everyone for coming to the wedding of our favorite farmer (???) and cave ghost.

The Wedding in RF1 is basically just a lengthy cutscene. It starts as soon as your wife accepts your proposal.

Donnel has somehow found a nice...suit...thing, for the occasion.

And Sharron has a new neck thing!

: Very well. You may now kiss the bride.

The models kinda rotate.

: By the powers vested in me, I now pronounce you husband and wife.

And now every character walks up and gives a congratulations. Time for another shoutout to Lotus for creating all these character portraits, because here we go.

: Congratulations. You make a splendid pair!

: Way to go, Donnel! Now go be happy!

: Congrats! So, when should we be expecting a baby?

I don’t trust Edward to deliver children.

: This reminds me of when I was young. Enjoy yourselves!

You know, we never do see Ann’s husband or Tori/Zavier’s dad. What happened to that guy?

: C-congratulations...Sharron...is very beautiful…

: Congratulations, Donnel! Let us handle Mist!

: Donnel! You look so handsome! I can’t wait to grow up so I can get married too!

: Congratulations. You make quite a couple. You two should drop by the library sometime.

: Congratulations. Both of you are so special. I’m sure you’ll get along splendidly!

You know, I have to wonder...how many of these people even know Sharron? She just kinda hangs out at that cave all the time.

: Congratulations, Donnel. I hope you’ll still play with me even though you’re married now.

This must be the most awkward wedding in Kardian history.

: I never thought you two would wind up together! Still, I think you make a great pair. Best wishes!

: You’re embarking on a new life together. Here’s to your future!

: It must be nice being married. I’m so jealous!

Second place.

: I see you’ve decided to settle down here permanently, Donnel. Good luck!

: Congratulations. Now starts your real lives together! Best wishes!

: Congratulations! There be many troubles in life, but together, ‘da two of ya kin overcome any ‘urdle.

: Congratulations. I’m happy you’ve decided to build a new family here in this town, Donnel.

: Congratulations! This really is cause for celebration! I’m glad you chose to settle here, Donnel!

I still haven’t forgiven you for Misty Bloom Cave. :colbert:

: You always seemed so caught up in your own affairs, I never knew you had it in you, boy!

: Congratulations, Donnel. I wrote a love poem for you!

gently caress

: Ah ha ha…

Who keeps inviting Lukas to these things? (On a side note, if you marry Rosetta, he’s pissed off and it’s funny.)

: Donnel, this isn’t exactly a wedding gift, but you’re welcome to continue using the house and farm I lent you.

: Really?

What was your backup plan, Donnel? I think Sharron’s homeless.

: Sure! In fact, I kind of hope you will still use it!

: Thanks!

: So you married Sharron...And I thought you felt something for me… Oh well…

Bianca your LP was at like 3.

: Congratulations to the both of you. I can’t wait for the reception dinner!

:allears:

: Congratulations, Donnel. May you be forever happy.

I’m not sure why the line starts like, halfway down the text box.

: We’re going to be so happy now that we’re married!

After the wedding, the game just sends you to the next day at noon. Also Sharron’s here now!

Oh god. Oh, choices.

Alright, thread. Vote time. Will Donnel’s new nickname be:

Donnel :effort:
Dear
Honeybuns Edit: Sharron has denied the Honeybuns, because she hates fun.
Or….milord (don’t pick this.)

BOLD your votes! Unless they’re milord then just please reconsider.

Also Sharron will now give us donuts every day. That’s...that’s about the only real perk to marriage in Rune Factory.

It's worth noting that each spouse will give you a different daily food gift.

Bianca gives you Cake

Felicity gives you Cookies

Lara gives you Medicinal Herbs (what the gently caress lara)

Mei gives you Baked Riceballs

Melody gives you Curry Noodles

Mist can give you either Tempura Udon, Tomato Seeds, Flour, or a Sardine.

Rosetta gives you Corn on the Cob

Tabatha gives you Corn (evidently not the same thing?)

Tori gives you Baked Apples

And SPOILERSHEWHOMUSTNOTBENAMED gives you Apple Pie.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 9, 2016

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
Donuts, that's really what they came up with?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Sharon escaped from a PLAY NOW, MY LORD banner. It all makes sense now.

Voting for honeybuns, because it's the most nauseating nickname that isn't milord.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Alavaria posted:

Donuts, that's really what they came up with?

It's actually different for each potential wife.

Bianca gives you Cake

Felicity gives you Cookies

Mei gives you Baked Riceballs

Melody gives you Curry Noodles

Mist can give you either Tempura Udon, Tomato Seeds, Flour, or a Sardine.

Tori gives you Baked Apples

Fatigued
Feb 5, 2010
Nap Ghost
Honeybuns

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

LordHippoman posted:

*weed joke*

Haifisch posted:

Voting for honeybuns, because it's the most nauseating nickname that isn't milord.

Yup.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Definitely Honeybuns.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

LordHippoman posted:

Guess they really did want you to compare those guys with America, huh? :911:

Anyway, not surprised to see the wedding scene is basically the same as RF2's. I don't think I mentioned it in the thread (just in the RF3 stream), but marrying Yue was about as far as I got in 2. The last couple weeks grinding love points (wake up -> hug monsters -> farm -> start mining for aquamarines -> sleep) were absolutely miserable, and then not only do you get the generic quotes and everything, your wife loses her personality, and as luck just happened to have it, a hurricane hit the following day. Kind of took it as a sign. :sweatdrop:

Are the nickname options the same for every spouse too? I'm still getting a vampire vibe from Sharron (especially now, look at those dead eyes and the fact she went from one fancy white dress to another one) and I probably would've picked "milord," sounds like something a Ventrue would do. But even then, honeybuns is still funnier. :v:

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Wayne posted:

Are the nickname options the same for every spouse too?

I had to do some digging for this, because it's hard as hell to find info on RF1 evidently, but the last nickname option is different for each spouse.

For Sharron and Tabatha it's "Milord", and the other two I could find were Mist's "Boy-Donnel" (:confused:) and Lara's "Donnel-Meister".

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

LordHippoman posted:

Corn is the crop. Corn on the Cob is the cooked food.

Honeybuns are delicious.

I'm hungry.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

:frogsiren: Bad news, everyone :frogsiren:

Sharron refuses the Honeybuns.

Gonna have to go with:

Donnel
Dear

...or milord

(also I remembered stuff about the next cave and I could use name suggestions for a High Orc, Orc Hunter, Sky Fish, Shira, Shadow Panther, and/or Tricky Mush)

Being married sucks.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Well if she wants to be boring and :ghost: then she can just call us Donnel like a boring ghost.

Also if you get a Tricky Mush, you must name it SSX.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

:psyduck: Why is Honeybuns an "impossible request?" Whatever, let's go for Dear I guess

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Name the High Orc Marly.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Why even have honeybuns as an option if she refuses it? :psyduck:

gently caress it, she can call us milord and Hippoman can suffer.

Also name all of the monsters Milord, with letters cut off to fit.

ashnjack
Jun 8, 2010

FUCK FLOWERS. JUST...FUCK 'EM.
I'm all for milord as it's the only non boring answer. As for the Orc name it snaga. If you don't know what it means google it and LOTR.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Donnel. If we're going to be boring at least we can be unambiguous.

KataraniSword posted:

Also if you get a Tricky Mush, you must name it SSX.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Donnel. It just looks super skeevy having her call you "milord".

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Why no honeybuns :negative:

Dear, because Donnel gives off the feeling of a deer in headlights.

And I think Donnel's backup plan in case Mist threw him out of the farm was to move in with Sharron at the cave entrance.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
If only he could just be called Don

Don Donnel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.
Donnel as milord doesn't really do it for me.

• Locked thread