Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I think you did a great job showing what this game had to offer, LordHippoman. I played Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town and Stardew Valley, so you could say I'm a fan of this genre, but I never got around to playing any of the RF games. So thanks for crossing this one off my list!

I'm looking forward to your next LP, whenever that may be. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

So RF 1 didn't even have fertilizer? The later entries in the series let you buy and craft fertilizer to speed up the growth of crops and make it possible to grow the slowest-growing crops in a reasonable time frame.
Anway, Thanks for the LP and the amount of work you put into this!

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

If anything, this game sort of got me itching to start up another Friends of Mineral Town playthrough. It's been ages since I even touched a Harvest Moon game, honestly. Might be because of how much more stuff Rune Factory gave you to do (Though I think that only applied to 3 for how great that was)

Thanks for the LP, LordHippoman :)

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
I'm going to be leaving the thread up for another few days before I lock it for archiving, just in case anyone has any other questions or anything. Thanks again to everyone who read and posted, it was a good time!

Wayne posted:

Just wanted to add that I do really like how the game lets you hook up with the megalomaniacal villainess instead of killing her off or writing her out of the story.

I mean, in that situation, either Lynette kills herself, which would have been pretty drat dark for a game like Rune Factory, or Donnel/Mist kill her, which would have been...weird. I guess they could have had Ethelberd do it, but he's such a weird character, he's in the game for roughly 30 minutes and then just kinda fucks off. I do like Lynette because "I have an eyepatch and I'm mad." gives her more personality than 3/4ths of the cast.

ThornBrain posted:

Great job on the LP, Hippoman! Glad to see another Harvest Moon [related] LP completed, what with how much bad luck the franchise has on these forums. There's only been a few RF threads, and excluding this one and Truthkeeper's RF4, the only other one that I know of was an RF3 LP that disappeared for no clear reason, so I'm hoping Truthkeeper's makes it as well. And eventually mine but I'm not here to advertise my poo poo.
Well done!

Your poo poo is good though. And yeah, for anyone who wants to see it, Truthkeeper is playing RF4 right now, and I'd definitely read an RF3 thread.

theshim posted:

do another fire emblem

maybe

AbstractBlacksmith posted:

I don't have my guide on me (posting from work) but I will dig up the information on Lynette's pet names when I get home, should the thread be interested.

If you could that would be awesome as hell, I'll be sure to add them into the bonus content post.

thetruegentleman posted:

Did you ever actually farm any Cabbages?

I never claimed my thread titles were good or accurate. I'm 0 for 2 at this point.

Wiffle posted:

Don't all the stats go up to 99? How insane would you have to be to cap some of them....

I kind of love the idea of someone grinding Camping.

sheep-dodger posted:

So RF 1 didn't even have fertilizer? The later entries in the series let you buy and craft fertilizer to speed up the growth of crops and make it possible to grow the slowest-growing crops in a reasonable time frame.

Fertilizer is a thing, it's just called "Formula A/B/C", and you have to craft it, plus it only goes up to -3 Days at the best. I also think it's one square only.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Excellent.

hardin possesses the darksphere

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Thanks for showing off the game. Still kind of baffled on how this game got sequels, but I'm not complaining there since RF4 is a lot better.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Lynette may have two eyes but in that bridal sprite you can clearly see that one of her eyes is discolored. That eyepatch isn't just cosmetic

I really enjoyed RF3 so it's nice to go back and see the start of the series. Thanks!

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Thanks a ton for this LP! It was very interesting to see how much more, uh, different this was from 4. :v:

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

LordHippoman posted:

And yeah, for anyone who wants to see it, Truthkeeper is playing RF4 right now, and I'd definitely read an RF3 thread.

Have a link to make that easier! And I'd love to LP RF3, but I just don't have the time, especially for a SSLP. Would also read one! I've been uploading our stream of it and just got to year 2 if anyone is jonesing for RF3 in any format, heh. It's quickly become my favorite game in the genre, and definitely cracked my top 20 overall. I've joked a couple times that I never thought we'd see the day I was looking forward to playing Rune Factory more than Dark Souls. :v:

Tarezax posted:

Lynette may have two eyes but in that bridal sprite you can clearly see that one of her eyes is discolored. That eyepatch isn't just cosmetic

Could be, yeah. The Wikia just said she has heterochromia (:japan:) and I haven't seen a sprite with enough detail to tell.

Vorpal Cat posted:

See also Jacqli/Mir in Ar Tonelico II, aka lets date the genocidal final boss of the previous game.

Oh yeah, that's a great example too. I skimmed/skipped most of that LP, but the Mir bits were pretty great.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Loved this LP thanks for doing it. It was fun to read and informative.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Thank you for teaching me to ruin cabbages in a ruin.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
Seriously, LordHippoman, thanks for such a fun ride! This game was a whole lot more fun to read about with your good writing and jokes than to play when I tried to earlier, that's for sure :v:. I remembered the tanks being stopped by nature, which is a neat idea. I just didn't remember they were stopped by a nature dragon that was probably summoned by probably your brother before you get an irrelevant plot dump never followed up on by any other game!

Nthing all these recommendations for RF3 and 4 though. 3 is a ton of fun, and I'm itching to pick up 4 now!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
It feels like they were trying to setup a grand story arc. Are the games connected?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

It feels like they were trying to setup a grand story arc. Are the games connected?

Vaguely. A list of the connections between games:
  • A handful of cameos between each game, sometimes more than mere cameos. Either way, it's meant to show they're all in the same world. (Cecilia from this game is a bachelorette in RF2, for instance)
  • The existence of "Earthmates", which are apparently magical green-thumb wunderkind. Pretty much every RF protagonist save for the one from RF3 is canonically stated to be one of these, and there's implications that Micah somehow got the powers, too.
  • The existence of giant fuckoff elementally-themed god-dragons. In three of the four games, these end up being your final boss, if memory serves. EDIT: Sadly, the only other one whose name is as punny as Terrable is RF2's dragon, Fiersome.
  • Ethelberd and the Sechs Empire play prominently into RF4's plot, and his motivation is essentially "Ethelberd is amazingly butthurt that Donnel owned him, so he's going all :godwin: on us".
  • The first three games at least have at least one scene in the intro movie where the main character faces off against a dragon with a hoe. It is the most Rune Factory thing. :allears: Sadly, RF4 missed that shot.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 11, 2016

sandorius
Nov 13, 2013
Thanks for a great LP, LordHippoman! I started off by playing RF:Frontier(which is kind of a semi-reboot of RF1), so I was always being slightly puzzled by the references the characters kept making to their old village. I have to say that the ending was amazing, I'm glad to have seen it, and I'm doubly glad someone else slogged through the game to show it off.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Not really, but in RF:Frontier RagunaDonnel wanders off in an amnesiac blur and finds himself in a totally new village.

Mist is already there waiting for him, farm and all.

AbstractBlacksmith
Mar 26, 2013
Wrapping up with the bachelorette nicknames is Lynnete! She will call you Raguna, Dear, or Raguna Baby. She also offers Honeybuns but won't do it.

The guidebook also gives a marriage difficulty rating for each lady, so I thought I'd share that as well. 1 star being easiest, 5 stars for nintendo hard:

1 star: Rosetta, Sharron
2 star: Felicity, Lara, Melody, Mist
3 star: Bianca, Tabatha
4 star: Lynette, Tori
5 star/impossible: Mei

There are other ways to raise LP with the ladies, such as not collapsing if you want to woo Lara (not a chance for Donnel), or talking to Bianca first on holidays, but I think those are fleshed out more in the later games.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Probably the last day I'm leaving the thread open before sending it for archiving.

SoftNum posted:

Loved this LP thanks for doing it. It was fun to read and informative.

Appreciate it!

Mzbundifund posted:

Thank you for teaching me to ruin cabbages in a ruin.

I never planted a single cabbage in this run. :negative:

Old Greg posted:

Seriously, LordHippoman, thanks for such a fun ride! This game was a whole lot more fun to read about with your good writing and jokes than to play when I tried to earlier, that's for sure :v:.

Good jokes? What thread were you reading? :v:

KataraniSword posted:

Vaguely. A list of the connections between games:

[*]Ethelberd and the Sechs Empire play prominently into RF4's plot, and his motivation is essentially "Ethelberd is amazingly butthurt that Donnel owned him, so he's going all :godwin: on us".

I looked up the Ethelberd bits of RF4, and he really is hilariously angry about this, like, years later. Getting owned by :420: did not serve that guy well

Also a serious thanks for all the RF information you gave in the thread, KataraniSword.

sandorius posted:

Not really, but in RF:Frontier RagunaDonnel wanders off in an amnesiac blur and finds himself in a totally new village.

Mist is already there waiting for him, farm and all.

I'm sure Sharron can raise that child to be an amazing ruins creep, she doesn't need Donnel.

AbstractBlacksmith posted:

Wrapping up with the bachelorette nicknames is Lynnete! She will call you Raguna, Dear, or Raguna Baby. She also offers Honeybuns but won't do it.

I've added these to the final update! Thanks a ton for the contributions!

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

• The first three games at least have at least one scene in the intro movie where the main character faces off against a dragon with a hoe.

Hey, we all know nobody likes Mist, but that's just uncalled for.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Speaking of, is Mist's deal ever explained?

I'm guessing she's some manifestation of the ~will of nature~ or something.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Speaking of, is Mist's deal ever explained?

She has a farm, and she likes Turnips a lot. That's about it.

In Rune Factory 2 she developed a Pink Turnip and you can grow them on your farm.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

BlackPersona posted:

She has a farm, and she likes Turnips a lot. That's about it.

In Rune Factory 2 she developed a Pink Turnip and you can grow them on your farm.

Also she likes using foreign slave labor and fallowing people into dungeons.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
This was a lot of fun to read! Made me pick up Rune Factory 4 again.

Thanks for doing this, I know an LP can be a lot of work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spielmeister
Mar 31, 2014
After playing RF4 back when it came out I thought about buying the others to see what they were like, but never got around to it. After reading this I think it's for the best that I didn't. This had so many bizarre design decisions.

• Locked thread