Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Ladies and gentlemen, welcome back to the Game Room where we proudly present the breathtaking brawl that is Battlecon! Tonight we have a new challenger: With a heart forged from steel just as strong as his ancient blade, your first hit had better drop him or you're not going to like what happens to you next, it's potatocubed as Eligor Larington!

And his opponent: This time-travelling professor knows several different meanings of the word 'mercy' but that doesn't mean he's going to show you any, it's TheCog as Luc Von Gott!

:havlat: This match uses Special Actions. :havlat:

potatocubed, you said you've read the basic Battlecon rules so I'm not really planning to write everything out. If you have any questions at any point, please ask! Either in this thread or over PM, whatever works best. That being said, there's a few things I figure I should touch on before we start, like:

:havlat: How To PBP Battlecon! :havlat:

Pretty simple, just PM me your starting discards + chosen finisher at the start of the match (i.e. right now), and PM me your chosen attack pair each beat. I only mention this because there's been confusion before.

:havlat: Er, What Should I Do About My Starting Discards? :havlat:

The game recommends you put Dash and your yellow Style (Vengeful) in Discard 1, and Grasp and your green Style (Counter) in Discard 2. Discard 2 is the one you get back first. It also recommends you use your A-side Finisher (Sheet Lightning). Especially considering this is your first game, it won't hurt to do so! If you want to do something different, though, feel free. There's lots of good options for different situations, and if something jumps out at you, it's probably worth pursuing!

:havlat: The Special Action Rundown :havlat:

In addition to your Styles (the cards in the centre column of your character sheet) and your Bases (the cards in the right column), you also have a Special Action Card available to you to play once during the match. You can use it as part of an attack pair - it takes the place of a Style and is played along with a Base for one of the following three effects:

Finisher: Play your Special Action Card with Strike, Drive or your Unique Base (Aegis). This is the sexiest option, though tends to be pretty situational. A Finisher is usually an attack that goes faster, hits harder, or does something just plain cooler than your normal attacks. In your case, your Finisher could either be Sheet Lightning: A really fast attack that lets you close in on a faraway opponent (something Eligor can have trouble with), or Sweet Revenge: an in-your-face attack that can do massive amounts of damage to a hard-hitting opponent. Not bad at all!
Something to note: If a Finisher is tied in Priority with a normal attack, you don't clash. The Finisher goes first.

Cancel: Play your Special Action Card with Grasp or Shot. A Cancel sends your opponent's attack pair to their Discard 1, you get the Grasp/Shot you just played with the Special Action Card back to your hand, and both of you immediately play new attack pairs. There is no new ante phase after a Cancel. Whatever you anted before the Cancel stays in effect.

Pulse: Play your Special Action Card with a Dash or Burst. When you Pulse, the opponent's attack pair has no effect whatsoever that beat, and you get to put both characters wherever you want on the board. The Dash/Burst you just played with the Special Action Card returns to your hand. At the end of a beat where you play a Pulse, your opponent's discards cycle, but yours do not. You then move on to the next beat as normal, but the beat timer does not advance! A Pulse does not help you count down the clock!

:havlat: Anatomy of a Beat :havlat:

Each beat starts with both players secretly selecting an attack pair - i.e. a Style (or Special Action Card) and a Base. In PBP terms, that means PMing your choice to me. Once both players have made their choices, players publicly declare their ante choices. One at a time, players declare either some form of ante (in this match, Time or Vengeance Tokens) or pass. You can ante more than once - so let's say you ante 1 Vengeance Token to gain Stun Guard 2, and Luc responds by anteing 1 Time Token to gain +1 Priority. You're convinced that Luc's ante means he must have played something that's going to beat out your Stun Guard, so in response, you can totally ante more Vengeance Tokens to make up for it if you want. Ante starts with the player who was Active Player (had the greater Priority) during the previous beat. On the first beat, starting ante-er is randomly determined. In this match, I have not-so-randomly determined that TheCog, as the experienced player, will start ante on the first beat.

After both players are finished with Ante, you reveal your attack pairs. This is the moment you've been waiting for! This is where you find out you totally played the right thing and you're going to whup Luc's lily rear end! Or you find out Luc got one over on you and you're about to whiff an important attack or take a whole bunch of damage. Anyway, after you've picked up the pieces of your broken spirit, Reveal effects go off and the two of you compare Priority. Whoever has the higher Priority becomes Active Player and will do their attack first. The other player is the Reactive Player. If both of you played attacks with the same Priority, you Clash! That means your Style is locked in, you set your played Bases aside (they won't affect your attack but also aren't discarded) and secretly play a new Base from your hand to go with your Style. Repeat until you don't Clash. There's no new Ante, and your previous Ante from this beat still stands. By the way, Reveal effects can only happen once each Beat.

Once Active Player is decided, go ahead and get on with the Start of Beat effects. Active Player does theirs first, Reactive Player second. After all that, the Active Player activates! An activation consists of the following steps, in order:

Execute Before Activating effects.
    Check Range. If the opponent is outside of your Range, you miss. You could also miss for other reasons, like Dash's effect. If you don't miss, wahey, you hit!
    If you hit, execute On Hit effects.
    If you hit, deal damage.
    If you dealt at least 1 damage, execute On Damage effects.
    Check the damage you dealt against your opponent's Stun Guard (if any). If you dealt more damage than they have Stun Guard, you stun them! A stunned player won't activate.
    Execute After Activating effects.

After the Active Player's done, the Reactive Player activates (provided they weren't stunned). The Reactive Player may end up stunning the Active Player during their activation. This generally won't matter, but some characters have End of Beat effects that only happen if they aren't stunned.

Once the Reactive Player's done, it's time for End of Beat effects! The Active Player executes their first, then the Reactive Player executes theirs second. After that's all over, it goes to the Recycle step, where your attack pairs recycle: The cards in your Discard 2 return to your hand, then the cards in your Discard 1 move to your Discard 2, then the Style and Base you'd played this beat go to your Discard 1. That's the last thing that happens! After that, it's on to the next beat!

:havlat: A Note About Movement :havlat:

The term "Advance" means you move toward your opponent, and the term "Retreat" means you move away from them. The term "Move" means that you may choose to either advance or retreat - practically, what this means is that you have to pick a direction and stick to it! If you have an effect that lets you "Move 3 spaces", that means you're either advancing 3 or retreating 3. There's no skating around back and forth. Speaking of which, let's say you advance 3 while you're standing next to your opponent. The movement effect only cares about where you were relative to your opponent at the start of the move, so you won't zoom back and forth to either side of them, you'll just go 3 spaces past them, like so:

Furthermore, when you move past someone, you never move into their space, you just go from one side to the other. You can think of it like jumping a piece in checkers.

:havlat: Now You're Ready To Fight! Get In There, Go For Broke And Show No Mercy! :havlat:

Wol fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Beat 1

Luc Von Gott
20/20
Discard 1: Feinting | Grasp
Discard 2: Fusion | Dash
Finisher: Temporal Recursion
x2

Eligor Larington
20/20
Discard 1: Vengeful | Dash
Discard 2: Counter | Grasp
Finisher: Sheet Lightning
x2

Ante
-- Luc passes.
-- Eligor passes.

Eligor Larington

Luc Von Gott

Reveal
-- Eligor has Priority 2. Luc has Priority -2. Eligor is Active Player!

Active Player: Eligor
-- Martial Strike has Range 1~2. Luc is at Range 2. Eligor hits!
-- Luc spends x2 to gain Soak 2.
-- Shra-kow! Luc takes 2 damage after Soak.
-- Luc's Stun Guard 2 holds.

Reactive Player: Luc
-- Eternal Shot has Range 1~4. Eligor is at Range 2. Luc hits!
-- Vwaboom! Eligor takes 3 damage.
-- Eligor gains x3
-- Eligor's Stun Guard 5 holds.

End of Beat
-- Luc gains x1

Wol fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 2, 2016

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
Stuff submitted!

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
:havlat: It's time to attack! PM me your attack pair!

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
:havlat: Attack pairs are in! Ante begins with Luc, who passes. Eligor, what is your ante decision?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Pass

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
:havlat: Luc, will you spend Time Tokens to soak damage?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Spend two tokens on soak. Get hit for 2. Stun guard holds, hit for 3

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Beat 2

Luc Von Gott
18/20
Discard 1: Eternal | Shot
Discard 2: Feinting | Grasp
x1

Eligor Larington
17/20
Discard 1: Martial | Strike
Discard 2: Vengeful | Dash
x5

Ante
-- Eligor antes x2
-- Luc passes ante.
-- Eligor passes ante.

Luc Von Gott

Eligor Larington

Reveal
-- Luc has Priority 5. Eligor has Priority 0. Luc is Active Player!

Start of Beat
-- Eligor retreats 2 spaces.

Active Player
-- Luc advances 2 spaces.
-- Fusion Drive has Range 1. Eligor is at Range 2. Luc misses.

Reactive Player
-- Counter Burst has Range 2~3. Luc is at Range 2. Eligor hits!
-- Schwingg! Luc takes 4 damage!
-- Luc is stunned.

End of Beat
-- Luc gains x1

Wol fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 3, 2016

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
:havlat: Luc has passed ante. Eligor, any new ante?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Nope, just the two.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
:havlat: Eligor, how far do you retreat?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
2 spaces please, hop hop.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
:havlat: Luc, how far do you advance?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Advance 2 get bopped.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Beat 3

Luc Von Gott
14/20
Discard 1: Fusion | Drive
Discard 2: Eternal | Shot
x2

Eligor Larington
17/20
Discard 1: Counter | Burst
Discard 2: Martial | Strike
x3

:havlat: Attack, attack, and never look back! Submit your attack pairs! Luc, you have first ante, so please include that as well.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
A couple of questions spring to mind:

1. In the PnP special action rules it says that you can't use your finisher until your life is down to 7 or less, but that wasn't in your writeup. Has the rule been changed, or did you forget to mention it?

2. Does Luc's Flash attack ignore Stun Immunity as well as Stun Guard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
1. That's still the case, I just forgot to mention it.

2. Nope. Stun Immunity is technically different than Stun Guard and as of this moment, I don't believe there's any game effect that gets around it.

• Locked thread