Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

JawKnee posted:

yeah, that's what I'm saying though - everyone seems to have been laughing at them as team left-overs or whatever
well its more that its a stupid concept for a team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Julien looks like he's having a good time at least.

Uh cool flag raising ceremony before the anthem.

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.
The worst part is that we didn't even get to see what flag/anthem they'd use for NA or Europe.

Next time they should skip team NA and add Team World where they get the best players from every country not Canada, USA, or in Europe.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

what the gently caress is happening

what a mess of a celebration

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Nielsen and Tatar had a great tourney so I'm excited to experience this brief moment where I think the Red Wings might score some goals.

Otherwise, this tournament mostly sucked.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Team Canada should bring Phil Kessel out on the ice to celebrate with them.

Why is Daft Punk playing?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

i am the bird posted:

Nielsen and Tatar had a great tourney so I'm excited to experience this brief moment where I think the Red Wings might score some goals.

Otherwise, this tournament mostly sucked.

Yeah that was the exciting part. 2 Red Wings players who were mostly invisible. You nailed it.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

the tournament fuckin ruled what the gently caress are you morons talking about

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

Should've gave The Thrill citizenship instead of Alfredsson

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Furnaceface posted:

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/781688129535303680
https://twitter.com/DownGoesBrown/status/781688700581314560

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 30, 2016

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah that was the exciting part. 2 Red Wings players who were mostly invisible. You nailed it.

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed my keen-eyed assessments.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It's really weird watching Crosby grow up.

e: also he looks way skinnier than he used to, even as recently as the finals

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

yellowcar posted:

Should've gave The Thrill citizenship instead of Alfredsson

I unironically support this.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

he's dominant in such a different way than prior "best in the world" players

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

He's Yzerman in a league where Gretzky and Lemieux didn't exist.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

not really?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

To be fair he did have the mumps.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

He's Yzerman if Gretzky and Lemieux didn't exist.
people really, really, really overrate yzerman.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Spring Break My Heart posted:

people really, really, really overrate yzerman.

You underrate him :(

But yeah fair enough. If he wasn't from ottawa I doubt I'd love him as much.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

he's the first "best in the world" player that didn't come up in the 80s/early 90s era

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

he's the first "best in the world" player that didn't come up in the 80s/early 90s era
what the hell are you talking about.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

what the hell are you talking about.

hockey history, you should check it out

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
I basically didn't watch any of this tournament at all, including either final game, but all I really have to say is gently caress Brad Marchand

:canada:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Aphrodite posted:

Tatar actually had a really good tournament

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

hockey history, you should check it out
i still dont know what your actual point is. like do you mean his playstyle is different? personality? or is this just a timing thing. which wouldnt make any sense.

additionally: hockey existed before the 80's.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

CBJSprague24 posted:

We don't even get Bettman booing? :(

There is like no way that didn't get written in to the world cup TV contract.

• item 84 subsection A: Broadcaster ESPN heretofore will cut away from coverage to studio analysis pending trophy award ceremony contingent upon "booing" from local, in arena crowd.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Jordan7hm posted:

Go back and look at him late in that Stanley Cup Semis back... uhhh... 3 years ago? The one where he was playing with the broken jaw that was wired all shut. Dude got straight GAUNT cause he was presumably on a liquid diet while still burning a billion calories skating his rear end off

:sweep:

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

i still dont know what your actual point is. like do you mean his playstyle is different? personality? or is this just a timing thing. which wouldnt make any sense.

additionally: hockey existed before the 80's.

i consider the recent "best in the world" players to be gretzky/lemieux, maybe jagr, and then crosby. the former 3 ascended in the high flying 80s/90s where goalies were poo poo and defensive systems weren't as effective. crosby certainly has finesse, but he also seems to generate more of his offense on scrappy, powerful forecheck and net-front plays than the "best in the world" players of prior generations

probably an adaptation to having less time & space nowadays than in the past, but alls i'm saying is that it's cool to see how there's still clearly a dominant player in the game despite how it's evolved

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

i consider the recent "best in the world" players to be gretzky/lemieux, maybe jagr, and then crosby. the former 3 ascended in the high flying 80s/90s where goalies were poo poo and defensive systems weren't as effective. crosby certainly has finesse, but he also seems to generate more of his offense on scrappy, powerful forecheck and net-front plays than the "best in the world" players of prior generations

probably an adaptation to having less time & space nowadays than in the past, but alls i'm saying is that it's cool to see how there's still clearly a dominant player in the game despite how it's evolved

Jagr at his peak was better than Crosby has ever been

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

i gues sthe point i'm trying to make is more about the way the game has changed over the past 10-20 years more than the merits of individual great players. just cool to see that there is still a clear "best in the world" player now, even though the talent floor is a lot higher than it was in the 80s/90s

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

also i didn't realize that Spring Break My Heart is INSPECTAH DECK lol

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
The greatest current and proven players in the game today are Crosby, Toews, Ovechkin, in that order. That's the first tier of players.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

i still dont agree. a guy like jagr has now succeeded for a million billion years, mostly where 2-1 was a real common scoreline, because he can take a lot of punishment, push other guys around, score without space and create his own space as needed. now its a big help that hes got otherworldly skills and athleticism but the same is true of crosby.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

AsInHowe posted:

The greatest current and proven players in the game today are Crosby, Toews, Ovechkin, in that order. That's the first tier of players.
:staredog::stare::catstare::jebstare::stare::stare::catstare::staredog::jebstare:

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

i still dont agree

nah we agree, it's all good

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

you forgot :stonk:, :stonkhat: and :stonklol:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ridiculous. How else could you determine the best player in the world but by who scores the most goals in the World Cup?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Aphrodite posted:

Ridiculous. How else could you determine the best player in the world but by who scores the most goals in the World Cup?

Turkish Wrestling

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

World*

*(May not actually include the whole world)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

don't worry, no one is suggesting that marchie is the best player in the word

• Locked thread