Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

Last week's tattoos: http://imgur.com/a/1qUpw

I think I prefer Team Christian/James/Jesse overall to the other team's but they're both really great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Dang, another great episode. It was pretty crazy that they forehead tattoos as the 3hr flash challenge, the human canvases must have been a bit worried about that. :v:

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
I'm sad that they made the right choice. I was annoyed at Oliver picking on the dumb blue helmet because he had had made it black the critique would have been that it was a lazy, obvious cover-up.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
I thought for sure Christian was going home, between the lines showing through and the tiny eagle parts. Cleen's tattoo simply wasn't that bad, I don't know why they kept knocking the aesthetics as if Jesse had done a googly eyed squirrel on a guy who asked for a badass biker.

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

This week: http://imgur.com/a/5dhh5

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

That stupid sexy Dave Navarro tattoo Mark Longenecker has that they just showed on Redemption is hilarious.

Stabitha
Mar 11, 2005

You lookin' at me? Don't.
Clean and James's head-to-head tattoos at the end were pretty terrible considering those are the ones they did to get into the finale and both were in their most comfortable styles. James's was hard to see what it was and Clean's looked sloppy as gently caress.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Their initial elimination tattoos were also dogs balls, although it was pretty funny watching the judges try and pretend that they had to mull over Anthony and Cleen's tattoos to decide which one was better when it was super obvious that Cleen had hosed up.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Anthony's was a lot nicer except the tits. But that might be cuz his looked like big fake implants and I hate those on actual women so I disliked them on the tattoo.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

It was supposed to be photorealism but Anthony's looked like it came straight from an X-men/Marvel comic cover. That said, Cleen's was obviously worse and Anthony deserved the win.

I was hoping to see Anthony, Cleen and James in the final.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

TheDon01 posted:

It was supposed to be photorealism but Anthony's looked like it came straight from an X-men/Marvel comic cover. That said, Cleen's was obviously worse and Anthony deserved the win.

I was hoping to see Anthony, Cleen and James in the final.

Same Christian is a great artist, but he is such a mega douche that I really can't stand him.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

Cless Alvein posted:

Same Christian is a great artist, but he is such a mega douche that I really can't stand him.

Yeah I'm hoping that since they are basically doing a popularity contest for the top two that he won't even get in. I really want Anthony to win.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Anybody upset by the voting scheme of the chest tattoo for the finale? It's a bit more fair than in the past, considering the second finalist is chosen by the eliminated artists, but Cleen's concern they could eliminate him (or the other two,) out of spite is a fair one.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
I'm not upset but it's another source of high comedy broadcast live that they think a popular vote is a good move in a merit-based competition after the trainwreck moment with Matt in he previous finale.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Their initial elimination tattoos were also dogs balls, although it was pretty funny watching the judges try and pretend that they had to mull over Anthony and Cleen's tattoos to decide which one was better when it was super obvious that Cleen had hosed up.
It was nicer due to the black and gray application, but those t-rex forearms were straight-up thalidomide flippers. Neither guy drew a woman well from scratch, which just further cements my suspicion that even the better than average IM competitors have serious issues with merely drawing human anatomy successfully

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 20, 2016

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Cless Alvein posted:

Anthony's was a lot nicer except the tits. But that might be cuz his looked like big fake implants and I hate those on actual women so I disliked them on the tattoo.

Yeah, for people that bitch about hands and feet so much, you'd think they'd have a problem with the weightless, globular forms passing for tits that show up constantly on this show.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
I'm glad I watched that off the DVR so I could fast forward through 90% useless bullshit to see who won.

I gotta side with Navarro over the other judges on who should have won.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Cless Alvein posted:

I'm glad I watched that off the DVR so I could fast forward through 90% useless bullshit to see who won.

I gotta side with Navarro over the other judges on who should have won.

I spent most of that episode yelling at my TV HIS TATTOO WASN'T EVEN FINISHED!!!!

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
But if you skip through it on DVR, you miss all the terrible miscues, mics not working, and all the other production issues that come with Ink Master Live.

Next season sounds promising? I'm at least hoping that Peck and Nuñez will be coaching their teams so the quality of the bottom tattoos will improve. Also Kelly Doty/forums user zee is zae is apparently a contestant so the dream of a woman winning Ink Master is alive again.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

I liked Anthony's work all through the season but in the final his tattoos were both really low quality. The sleeve that wasn't a sleeve and the unfinished dragon were just a bummer and I'm shocked at the outcome. Would 110% rather wear either of Cleen's tattoos and thought his sleeve was just awesome.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Anthony's tattoos weren't low quality at all. His dragon was undeniably UNfinished but wickedly ambitious and well placed, but his sleeve was beautiful and the artistic strength of it is what won him the competition.

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 25, 2016

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Really? I did not like either of Cleen's final tattoos.

My opinions are probably garbage though because I wouldn't have thought the dragon was unfinished if Nunez hadn't said anything. Although it's not like we got a lot of time to really examine the full thing as the audience.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Anthony's tattoos weren't low quality at all. His dragon was undeniably finished but wickedly ambitious and well placed, but his sleeve was beautiful and the artistic strength of it is what won him the competition.

Yup, Cleen just comes up so short for me when it comes to artistry, imagination and creativity, and the bigger the piece he has to do, the bigger those shortcomings appear to me.

The real robbery for me was Cleen winning the jury deliberation to the final two over Christian, even though it was satisfying in a schadenfreude sense, as Christian is just way overboard with his douchebaggery, and not in an entertaining way like other contestants we've seen.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

I didn't like Christian's chest canvas very much. Its placement and shape was good but the everything else...there were indeed a lot of blowouts and the only reason it wasn't more evident is because American Trad is "supposed" to look muddy

If anything, they actually sort of learned from the voting disaster and while stupid amerca gets their $1.99 per texting say, it didn't actually render one of the three finalist's work comically meaningless this time. Though I will say that whole stupid Matti/Sausage wager being determined by a mechanism as hallowed and infallible as the highly scientific Applausometer™ leads me to believe it was a work and the loser wasn't getting a real tattoo at all

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 25, 2016

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Was actually surprised Cleen got the jury's vote, just based on the popularity. Of course Sausage was going to win a live vote, even if they sounded even.

Loved Anthony's sleeve the best personally. It's that case of doing too much leaving room for more critique with Cleen's. Plus the fact that Cleen, when left to his own devices, will always throw in some kind of New School in, and it's pretty obvious. I think Cleen definitely deserved to win, but when you look at what Anthony was able to accomplish and overcome, both outside his wheelhouse, then it's easy to see why he deserved to win as well. His imagery ultimately beat out Cleen's.

Peck vs. Nunez looks fun, but I sincerely hope they start bringing in guest judges again, because, from the looks of it, the primary judge/swing vote will end up being Navarro.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Though I will say that whole stupid Matti/Sausage wager being determined by a mechanism as hallowed and infallible as the highly scientific Applausometer™ leads me to believe it was a work and the loser wasn't getting a real tattoo at all

It was a lovely way to measure it but it was real: https://instagram.com/p/BF0OW-9rSyb/

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.
I didn't like either of Cleen's tattoos especially the chest piece. As soon as they revealed it, I was thinking exactly what Oliver said, that guy's nipple in the middle of the woman looks horrible.

I don't care that Anthony's pieces were "unfinished" because they looked better overall and that's why he won. I am the farthest thing possible from an expert and I couldn't have said the dragon was unfinished without the judges saying so. I wasn't that crazy about the wolf on his sleeve, but I loved the woman's face and the colors he put in that sunset were gorgeous.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I'm not in it for the drama, but I did giggle when Megan Jean basically said, "Yeah, we hosed, and then he stopped returning my calls."

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

creationist believer posted:

Next season sounds promising? I'm at least hoping that Peck and Nuñez will be coaching their teams so the quality of the bottom tattoos will improve. Also Kelly Doty/forums user zee is zae is apparently a contestant so the dream of a woman winning Ink Master is alive again.

Oh dang that's awesome! :woop:

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Glad that Anthony won! Going to brag a bit that he was my pick to win the whole show.

Nunez vs Peck looks pretty fun. It's another change to the format and I look forward to it. I'll seconded that they should bring back guest judges. Hell, bring back former contestants just to add another vote.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I'm 100% onboard with Navaro's comments. I also didn't understand Oliver's line about the inside of the arm on Cleen's sleeve being "just filler". It seemed like a lot of random musical poo poo but it was still tattooed on and looked amazing. As soon as Anthony admitted his wasn't finished I told my wife "He's going to win even though it wasn't finished and that's bullshit." But yeah, at least it wasn't Christian.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Thought it should have been Christian and Anthony in top 2. I really liked Christians American Traditional chest piece but I don't really understand what a "blowout" is in relation to tattoos. Maybe if that was more evident I would have liked it less. Christian is still a douche, though.

Glad Anthony won. Cleen just can't stop dropping the ball during the finale. Maybe 3rd time's a charm when he comes back for the inevitable Revenge part 2.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

I'm pretty sure blowouts are when the needle is worked too hard into the skin layer and the ink bleeds into areas it wasn't supposed to, so what should be a nice crisp line gets a visible fuzzy fringe to it

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
LOL

https://twitter.com/Sausagekingtat/status/735319895768993792

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Cleen always looks so out of place when he tries to wear a suit, he looks like he's appearing as a defendant in a court case rather than a snazzy TV final.

futurememory
Oct 22, 2011

"You're a bad man! You're a VERY bad man!"
Looks like Sarah Miller's reasoning for making her Bill Clinton so dark was actually really logical:

After 3 weeks of healing.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

futurememory posted:

Looks like Sarah Miller's reasoning for making her Bill Clinton so dark was actually really logical:

This has happened before and it's the same thing as them actually congratulating people on using white ink. There is zero consideration of healing. They used to pay lip service to it but now they barely ever do.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

futurememory posted:

Dang, that turned out awesome. Still, she's crazy and I don't find her entertaining for more than 5 minutes so I'm glad she got kicked.

Ink Master is the only reality show I can bear to watch. Sure they fake the drama poo poo and the conversations the artists have 'in private' are laughable nonsense but there's an authenticity to it that is missing from all the other reality trash: the tattoos are real and the art pieces they make for flash challenges are real and mostly cool and interesting. I also love their live finals. The fact that they're full of mistakes, bad timings and miscues is a nice change from the overly polished and rehearsed nonsense on other shows.

Bring on the next season! Just let us look at the tattoos more and focus less on the bullshit rivalries and all that filler.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Finally watching the finale and am I insane or does Dave keep saying "meow" instead of "now"?

fistful of hammers
Nov 11, 2011

KilGrey posted:

Finally watching the finale and am I insane or does Dave keep saying "meow" instead of "now"?

Yeah, that's a thing he's been doing for a couple years now, don't be alarmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

KilGrey posted:

Could also be stealth marketing for the super troopers sequel.

• Locked thread