Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

:siren: Join the SA Goons Supercell Games Discord! - https://discord.gg/Py3HZFAXhY :siren:

(op probably horrifically out of date, just post lol)

:siren:The Wiki has a lot of good info and you should probably click this you scrub:siren:

Clash Royale is the hit new action card game by mobile developer supergiant Supercell. The game is about two old farts shouting obscenities at each other while sending armies over to the other's side to die. It's actually quite fun sometimes. Clash Royale is similar to Clash of Clans in name only, as it is a completely different game devoid of townbuilding, raids, or Ceros' spreadsheets. If you like games like Hearthstone, you'll probably enjoy and/or hate Clash Royale just as much.

Quick Tips

-YOU CAN STILL PLAY WHILE YOUR CHEST SLOTS ARE FULL TO PUSH TROPHIES
-CHESTS IN LATER AREAS CAN STILL CONTAIN CARDS FROM AREAS YOU'VE ALREADY PASSED STOP ASKING
-THE CURRENT BEST WAY TO USE GEMS IS THE GRAND CHALLENGE

To join a goon clan just include an obvious SA reference and your favorite bible verse in the request message. Searching using the hashtag will pull up the specific clan instead of possible ones with similar names. All Reddit clans will crumble under our united stench.

:siren:READ THESE HOLY poo poo:siren:

:siren:You can invite other players to your clan via URL, text, discord, LinkedIn, etc using the Invite to Clan button.
:siren:"Invite Only" means an elder (mod) has to accept your request to join their clan.
:siren:There are no goon clans named Goon Squad.
:siren:Getting "banned" from a clan is automatic upon rejection (aka someone fat-fingered your join request) and that just means you have to wait 24 hours. If you make a big stink about it ITT you can probably get in faster via invite.

-Salty Goons (#CL00Y)
-Goondolences (QRGGGY)
-Goonstache (#L2URPL)
-Category 6 (#222L2VL)
-2Poor4Gems (#LJC8VV)

It's ideal to check the latest posts in this thread for clans the most in need of new blood.

Destroying the two Arena Towers (manned by the King's suicidal daughters) up front will net you one Crown each, which are your points. You want to have more Crowns than your opponent does before time runs out in order to ensure a victory, but destroying your opponents Crown Tower (has the fat king on it) will ensure an instant victory no matter how far behind you were before. The winner will receive Trophies (ranking), a chest if they have an empty slot, some coins, and bragging rights.

Cards come in four varieties: Common, Rare, Epic, and Legendary. Each has a "deployment cost" in elixir, with higher-impacting troops costing more. The key to winning is having a cost-efficient deck, learning to make proper trades, and knowing what works and what doesn't.

Common cards (no border) are obviously common.

Rares (orange) you get once in awhile and from gold chests.

Epics (purple) are really drat rare and come guaranteed with a magic chest.

Legendary Cards (glowing hexagonal) are extremely rare, but there are consistent ways to get them if you play well enough.

Upgrading your cards requires a certain amount of duplicates in order to qualify and a set amount of gold to commence. Each upgrade adds 10% more to the base damage and health stats of your troop and there are no upgrade timers! That doesn't sound like much of an increase per level, but unbalanced card levels can make a huge difference in how cards interact with one another.

Chests are you main source of cards in this game. They take a varying number of hours to open, but can be sped up with gems if you choose to. Each chest is marked by the arena it is earned in and can only contain cards from that arena or below. You can get common cards from magic chests and legendary cards from silver chests, but what's to be expected is listed below. Chests won from battle are not random! See notes below.

Wooden Chest: Sometimes appear as free goodies in quests. Contains the equivalent of a silver chest and sometimes gems. (3x Chance for Epic/Legendary) Instants open with 4 hours in-between.

Silver Chest: You get these most of the time. Contain mostly common cards and sometimes/always(A10) a rare. 3 Hour open time.

Golden Chest: Guaranteed to contain some rares. 8 hour open time. Open these when you go to sleep or don't want to play for a bit.

Giant Chest: Quantity over quality. Contains a large amount of gold, common cards, and a lot of rares. 12 hour open time.

Magic Chest: Contains at least a few epics and a bunch of rares. 12 hour open time.

Video on the not random chest cycle.

Epic Chest: Contains an arena-dependent amount of epic cards and nothing else. 1 day open time. Can be bought for gold during a special shop offer (a 50% discount compared to buying epics in the shop!). 12 hour open time if won from battle.

Legendary Chest: Always Contains 1 Legendary. Can be bought for 500 gems during a special shop offer. 1 day open time if won from battle.

Super Magic Chest: The sugar daddy. Contains loads of gold, rares, epics, and has the best chance for a legendary. 1 day open time if won from battle.

Video on these chests which are both random and not random at the same time.

Crown Chest: Your daily bonus for getting 10 crowns, with the contents being equivalent of 2 Gold Chests. Always contains some gems. (3x Chance for Epic/Legendary) Instant open time with 24 hour cooldown. You can have up to two Crown chests waiting to be filled at one time, with extra crowns put into the first chest rolling over into the second one.

Clan Chest: If you are in a clan you can contribute crowns earned to a group chest. This is spread across the whole clan, and at the end everyone will receive a tiered chest as a reward. You must contribute at least one crown to the pool or else you forfeit receiving one. Instant open time with 2 week cooldown.

Draft Chest: When you are in the big leagues (4000+), you will earn a big rear end chest depending on how far you climb up the ladder during a season. Once the season resets and your rank decays you will earn this chest which lets you decide in pairs which cards you get! At certain thresholds these are guaranteed to contain one or multiple legendaries. Instant open time with 1 month cooldown.

Do not buy:

Lightning Chest: This one's a bit tricky. You have five "lightning strikes" which you can use on cards received to "re-roll" them for another card in the same amount and rarity. Technically you have a better chance of getting the cards you want but don't count on it.

Fortune Chest: Every day the shop displays a "daily fortune" of five cards, with at least one of those cards being a stack in this chest. Has a 1 in 10 chance for a Legendary but don't even bother man.

Legendary King's Chest: The King's shameful secrets lie within. Essentially a weaker Draft Chest with a guaranteed legendary. (Note Draft Chests have pretty high odds for legendary anyway so...)

The quantity of cards and amount of guaranteed special ones increases as you go to higher arenas! The same goes for the gem cost of chests in the store since store bought chests obey the arena label rule.

Joining a Clan has some pretty cool perks like:

-Donate and receive cards every 8 hours. Donating gives you coins and XP! Can request Epics on Sunday.
-Weekly rotating Clan Chest and Clan Battle chest events!
-Friendly battles! Murder your family!
-Spectate clanmate matches and see them tilt in real time!
-Chat!!!!!!

Hey man, get this. What if there were TWO PLAYERS in one match? WOAHHHHH!!!! Clan Battles are a bi-weekly FOREVER long game mode where two players co-op vs two others as foes.

-There is a conjoined King Tower with a shared HP pool and two cannons.
-Each player uses their own deck and gets a preview of their partner's deck. (press and hold over their name mid-battle to see their current hand and what card they are about to use)
-Hovered cards (by holding and dragging) can be seen by your partner before they're deployed.
-Spells benefit and harm both players' troops and once. Elixir collector profit is not shared.
-Player elixir generation is slowed to 85% of the base rate.
-More arena space. Bigger bridges to burn.

Note: 2v2 is considered the "casual" game mode. You can gain coins and chests from winning, but not trophies.

Quests are specific activities that you are given every day that reward Quest Points upon completion. Completing quests can get your rewards such as:

-Free Wooden Chests
-Rare chests after collecting enough quest points
-Extra gold, cards, or gems
-7 free rewards per week

One quest can be re-rolled per day if you don't like what was given to you.

:salt:IMPORTANT::salt:
-DO NOT enter any tournaments or challenges if you are not both Player Level 9 and have Tournament Standard card levels. You will get your rear end served to you on a plate.
-Challenges "break even" at two wins in terms of gold for gem value.
-Overtime lasts for three minutes, so never expect a draw. Every bit of chip damage has a huge impact!
-Special Challenges have set one-time rewards like rare/epic/legendary cards, chests, and heaping piles of gold.
-Special Challenges can be 2v2, but you are forced to play with a rando. Enter at your own risk.
-The first time you create and finish a 100 gem custom tourney, you receive an achievement for a full refund!

Challenges are a special form of matchmaking where your job is to win as much as possible before three losses for a big payout. 10 Gems are required to start the Basic Challenge while 100 Gems are for the Grand Challenge, which has 11x the reward potential. There are occasionally Event Challenges that impose special rulesets and set rewards.

Challenge card rewards are divided as follows:
-For every 10 cards won 1 will be Rare
-For every 100 Cards won 1 will be Epic
-The Grand Challenge (1100 cards) apparently has a great chance for a Legendary
-You can still have a chance to earn rarer cards in lower chests as per usual. Ranking high on 10 gem challenges is a good way to get epics easily.

Tournaments are player-run climber style gigs where rankings are determined via trophies isolated from your regular ranking. Every player starts at 0 and must accumulate trophies by battling other players, with the player with the highest score being dubbed the winner. All tournaments have a 2 hour warm up time after creation and run for 1 hour, with increasing max capacity for each tournament tier. All tournaments are private outside your clan and require a unique hashtag to find and join.

Don't expect to get value from the gems spent, as the system is more for fun than gain. Be sure to post your tournaments in this thread or I will end you!

Putty fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Forum Weapons:

Putty fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 1, 2018

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer
Anyone else really annoyed at how long it takes to unlock the crown chests? It seems like the majority of the games I play are draws, with the score being 0 to 0.

The game is fun though and they've made some decent improvements so far from their "soft launch" till now.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I am the glorious leader of Salty Goons. This game is really quite fun, although I am super bad at it. Come watch me play dozens of matches where I first lose one tower to my opponent, then pull off a clever play to take one of theirs to even the score, after which I realize I left my King tower undefended and they backdoor it with a babby skeleton and instantly win :getin:

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Pews posted:

Anyone else really annoyed at how long it takes to unlock the crown chests? It seems like the majority of the games I play are draws, with the score being 0 to 0.

The game is fun though and they've made some decent improvements so far from their "soft launch" till now.

Draws suck really bad and need to be fixed, but 3 hours doesn't really seem like a long time if you come from Clash where making an actual army now takes over an hour. I think they should either make silver and gold chests take less time or make them give more poo poo.

Also pushing trophies is always a good option to get better chests in the next arena. The opponent difficulty doesn't really scale that much in my opinion besides the addition of new cards in the opposition. Getting a new rare or epic card from a high up area will give you a big advantage even if you get pushed back down.

Putty fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 2, 2016

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Yeah I'm not sure what to do now that I have used all of my gems and filled all of my chest slots - do I just come back tonight?

Also sent a request in to Salty Goons.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Here's the other goon Clan:

Say something goony in your join request so we know you're not a random pubby.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Slash posted:

Here's the other goon Clan:

Say something goony in your join request so we know you're not a random pubby.

Oddly I saw the "request" button on Salty but not on Goonageddon. Wonder if there is something about counting requests towards the cap?

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!
Any chance of nipping this in the bud early and just merging clans? Or is the cap of 50 too small even if both clans got rid of inactives?

I want to maximize our sperg potential.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Pews posted:

I rarely get draws - maybe 1 in 20? 30? That just means both of you guys are playing ultra conservatively, and tbh, draws are just a waste of your time. If all you do is build towers and counter whatever your opponent throws at you, you'll end up with a lot of draws. Have to time a push in order to win. This is why it's better to defend with units than structures.

For example, your opponent throws a hogrider at you. You can either (i) put down a tesla or (2) drop some barbs.

Tesla is cheaper by 1 elixir, and the end result is a dead hog and, probably, a dead tesla. It's a good counter because you stopped his attack without it costing you more elixir.

But if you drop barbs instead, which costs 1 elixir more than a tesla, you end up with a dead hog and then you start a push with 4 full health barbs, all for only 1 elixir more.

Of course, next time your opponent could learn and also drop a freeze, which would freeze your barbs and allow his hogrider to go nuts on your tower :) But instead of barbs, perhaps you drop a baby dragon this time, which is cheaper and does the same thing and is harder to counter than barbs.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

cliffdiver posted:

Any chance of nipping this in the bud early and just merging clans? Or is the cap of 50 too small even if both clans got rid of inactives?

I want to maximize our sperg potential.

both clans have around 45 members now so it's not really possible and there is currently no way to tell inactives apart

Psikotik
Dec 17, 2002

Random more like ranDUMB
College Slice
Seems like you don't get xp for matches, just opening chests? Another great mechanic.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Nephzinho posted:

Oddly I saw the "request" button on Salty but not on Goonageddon. Wonder if there is something about counting requests towards the cap?
Do you have 200 trophies?

You also get xp for donating cards, and levelling up cards.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Putty posted:

both clans have around 45 members now so it's not really possible and there is currently no way to tell inactives apart

Just use contributions. Once they reset, you can see who is not contributing and just boot that person.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Psikotik posted:

Seems like you don't get xp for matches, just opening chests? Another great mechanic.

You don't get experience from chests. You get it from donating and upgrading cards, doofus!

Pinball Jizzard
Jun 23, 2010
I am Caxamillion and I am incredibly bad at this game.

Let's hope I can possibly one day push arena 5 even if it ends up being through sheer card level...

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I just started this today. Haven't made it past the tutorial, but I dig it. I'll apply to a Goon clan soon. Is there any reason we have 2? Is one full or something?

Coolspaz
Feb 26, 2004
And so it came to pass, and so it was told, quoth the raven "never more"
started playing this, still on the training crap, looks fun so far, I like the idea of not having to build a base as that was the worst part of CoC and BB

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Nephzinho posted:

It's not clear what you mean by "request" here. If you mean requesting to join Goonageddon, this might be because you don't meet their minimum trophy requirement of 200 crowns. If this is the case just play some more games until you hit 200.

If you're talking about requesting and donating cards with your clan, there a cooldown timer that activates sometimes when you join or switch clans. I don't know all of how it works but if you get hit by it, there will be a period of time where you can't donate or request cards as often as normal. I don't know the official reason for this but my guess is that it's to deter people scamming or bugging clans for cards.

Ajon
Aug 8, 2007
'VRROOOMMM!!!' roared the car. 'SPRUITS!' said gramma.

New Leaf posted:

I just started this today. Haven't made it past the tutorial, but I dig it. I'll apply to a Goon clan soon. Is there any reason we have 2? Is one full or something?

I guess one clan was started by iOS goons and the other one by Android goons, as the soft launch wasn't simultaneous on both systems.

This game is a better pooping game than the other SC games. Shorter periods of gaming with longer periods of waiting.

Verno5x
Aug 23, 2003

CRAFT OR DIE
One quick note for the OP, chests increase in quality as you go up in arenas. In this game there is no real incentive to stay in a lower arena.

For example an Arena 6 Magical chest contains 520-650 Gold, 78 Cards, 2 Epics, and 15 Rares. The Magical Chest picks up the 2nd Epic card once you cross Arena 5. Here's some other Arena 6 chests:

Silver: 52-65 Gold, 8 Cards
Gold: 182-208, 26 Cards, 2 Rares
Giant: 1430-1690 Gold, 208 Cards, 20 Rares
Super Magical Chest: 3120-3900 Gold, 468 Cards, 15 Epics, 93 Rares

Verno5x fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 2, 2016

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

cliffdiver posted:

I feel like launch day is a bit early to start merging, because who knows how many goons will want to join. I would feel bad if we merged and then some newbie sees a full goon clan and decides to make another one, because creating a clan costs 1000 gold and that's a big chunk of change when you're starting out.

e: I am certainly willing to relinquish my porcelain throne on turd mountain if we genuinely don't need two clans, though.

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 2, 2016

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Do you know if the reward chests get skipped over if your chest inventory is full? On reddit they figured out the formula for which chest you would get if you won. However if all chest spots are full and you would have gotten a gold chest, does that gold chest defer to the next win or does it get skipped over?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I just feel like I hit these runs of wins and losses and I get so loving frustrated. I have my "generic deck", a hut deck and a skeleton deck. All 3 succed to varying degrees, but I have 0 consistency.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

SalTheBard posted:

I just feel like I hit these runs of wins and losses and I get so loving frustrated. I have my "generic deck", a hut deck and a skeleton deck. All 3 succed to varying degrees, but I have 0 consistency.

Do you attack first or after your opponent does? See the helpful post by Commish above.

Coolspaz
Feb 26, 2004

SalTheBard posted:

you should work on your fiber intake, make you much more consistent

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

Split push, split push, split push!

I'm coming off a 7 game winning streak that's carried me into arena 2 because pubbies do not know how to deal with the split push.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Zotix posted:

Do you know if the reward chests get skipped over if your chest inventory is full? On reddit they figured out the formula for which chest you would get if you won. However if all chest spots are full and you would have gotten a gold chest, does that gold chest defer to the next win or does it get skipped over?

I wouldn't put too much stock into that reward formula. Lot of people report receiving rarer chests outside of what the formula calls for. Either way, I doubt that it would skip the order if your chest queue is full. It would just wait until it drops.

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!

Zotix posted:

I'm like 99% sure reward chests do not get skipped. That would just be cruel if it skipped your first Magical chest because "whoops how dare you play our game while you still have timers counting down!"

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

So I currently have 4 chests, should I keep playing or should I wait until they unlock?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

obi_ant posted:

So I currently have 4 chests, should I keep playing or should I wait until they unlock?

i feel like this question is going to get asked by every single person who tries the game

Coolspaz
Feb 26, 2004
so it seems I can only have 1 chest counting down at once, is this correct or is there a way to get multiple going?

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i feel like this question is going to get asked by every single person who tries the game

I know. I keep playing because it's fun, because I can practice and get better, and because you can still climb to higher arenas and get better cards.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Pretty much. Someone needs to post this in the OP.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

wall monitor posted:

Split push, split push, split push!

I'm coming off a 7 game winning streak that's carried me into arena 2 because pubbies do not know how to deal with the split push.

I try to split push, but leave one of the two towers standing with some HP incase the game goes into overtime and I need to grab the quick crown to seal it. Have stolen a few wins from people who were "winning", were going for the castle kill, and I manage to sneak in a fireball or something on the tower for the win.

Coolspaz
Feb 26, 2004
so by split push you mean push 1 side then once it's down push the other side?

or both sides at once?

Psikotik
Dec 17, 2002

Random more like ranDUMB
College Slice

Coolspaz posted:

or both sides at once?

Both at once.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Salty goons please accept alkali he is my Eskimo brother.

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

Coolspaz posted:

or both sides at once?

Get them to commit to fighting on one side, then drop units on the other side. If they've just spent 5 elixir on defensive units on the left side, then that's 5 less elixir they'll be able to spend on countering your giant on the right side.

It's tricky, though. If you just split your units without a plan they'll get chewed up by tower damage since you're engaging both towers at the same time. And if your opponent can counter both sides with units left over then you could be counter-split. Stuff like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verno5x
Aug 23, 2003

CRAFT OR DIE

wall monitor posted:

Get them to commit to fighting on one side, then drop units on the other side. If they've just spent 5 elixir on defensive units on the left side, then that's 5 less elixir they'll be able to spend on countering your giant on the right side.

It's tricky, though. If you just split your units without a plan they'll get chewed up by tower damage since you're engaging both towers at the same time. And if your opponent can counter both sides with units left over then you could be counter-split. Stuff like that.

When you split push it actually helps a lot to have a single unit that can do a ton of damage and move quick. I'll pretty often drop a Hog Rider or Prince solo in the opposite lane since they either need to answer it or lose 1/2+ of a tower's HP.