Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I feel like Witch should be a better card than it is.. I usually throw one out and it gets obliterated quickly. Should I only travel in the middle of a pack, or is it underpowered?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
It seems pretty bad for it's mana cost for sure. The skeletons are pretty much 1shot by anything, and she doesn't have much health herself, she also doesn't do a lot of damage. I feel like skeleton army is way better for the cost than witch, as it's basically a hard counter to minipekka, giant, knight, archers.... and basically anything that doesn't do AoE/have a super fast attack speed.

Soma Soma Soma
Mar 22, 2004

Richardson agrees
Requested to join Goonstache as Soma. Thanks!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Requested to also join Goonstache, as Geal! This game is neat, I'm looking forward to higher levels where more teamcomps and such become available. Split pushing seems to basically destroy everyone, at least in my early babby tier. I'd also love to go for a super cheap spam of units strategy at some point, is that ever viable or are there not enough good troops of zerg rush? I've got regular and spear goblins but they seem to fold pretty easily - should I only deploy them behind a Giant / Prince?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

McSpankWich posted:

It seems pretty bad for it's mana cost for sure. The skeletons are pretty much 1shot by anything, and she doesn't have much health herself, she also doesn't do a lot of damage. I feel like skeleton army is way better for the cost than witch, as it's basically a hard counter to minipekka, giant, knight, archers.... and basically anything that doesn't do AoE/have a super fast attack speed.

I love my skeleton army. It counters so much.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
Requested to join Goonstache as anisoptera.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Khisanth Magus posted:

Agreed. MVP in the low levels.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

CodfishCartographer posted:

Requested to also join Goonstache, as Geal! This game is neat, I'm looking forward to higher levels where more teamcomps and such become available. Split pushing seems to basically destroy everyone, at least in my early babby tier. I'd also love to go for a super cheap spam of units strategy at some point, is that ever viable or are there not enough good troops of zerg rush? I've got regular and spear goblins but they seem to fold pretty easily - should I only deploy them behind a Giant / Prince?

If you want to zerg rush a side, you need to use huts. You can get 3 or 4 huts going at once and it gets ridiculous. It's hard to zerg a side in a similar fashion w/o huts because one fireball would wipe out your whole zerg. With huts, they just keep on coming w/o costing more elixir.

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

Agreed. MVP in the low levels.

Yeah, not as useful at higher levels because everyone runs at least 1 or 2 AOE units. One dragon would wipe out the entire skeleton army in seconds for a 4-elixir advantage.

commish fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 4, 2016

Eat At Blimpees!
Aug 7, 2006
It's green, it flies, it's the Goblin Zeplin!
Request to join Goonstache as Boodrix.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Anybody use tombstone at all? I love my goblin huts, but spamming weak melee chaff doesn't seem especially worthwhile.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Thaddius the Large posted:

Anybody use tombstone at all? I love my goblin huts, but spamming weak melee chaff doesn't seem especially worthwhile.

Using both has been pretty powerful for me. I usually play mostly defense until the double elixir then get 3-4 buildings down spamming dudes and they cant keep up.

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!

Thaddius the Large posted:

It's a good cheap counter if you find Prince giving you trouble. I used to use it a lot to counter single units until I unlocked Barbarians.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Khisanth Magus posted:

I love seeing the other person use them, cus I just drop arrows or bomb skeletons on them and they all evaporate!

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
req'd goonstache

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
this chest unlock timer is some freakin bullshit fella. i wanna play while at work/in the bathroom but it feels like a waste!!!

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.

NickRoweFillea posted:

this chest unlock timer is some freakin bullshit fella. i wanna play while at work/in the bathroom but it feels like a waste!!!

This is this games' biggest problem, there needs to be SOMETHING to do between chest CD's if you're full on chests. It could be as simple as some kind of dumb minigame that builds up gold or cards or a chest repository where you can swap chests in and out of your queue.. anything. Make wins worth gold when chest queue is full or something

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!
A good suggestion I saw is having wins award something like 3 gold and 2 minutes off your current chest timer or something along those lines. Might get abused but whatever come on SC throw us a bone here.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

McSpankWich posted:

This is this games' biggest problem, there needs to be SOMETHING to do between chest CD's if you're full on chests. It could be as simple as some kind of dumb minigame that builds up gold or cards or a chest repository where you can swap chests in and out of your queue.. anything. Make wins worth gold when chest queue is full or something

Seriously. It could be artificial progress for all I care. Give me 2 gold per win, and I'll be satisfied.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
I got kicked from Salty Goons after less than 24 hours despite donating like 10 cards in that timespan. :(

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

Skeleton Army and Barbarian Hut have drastically improved my win rate.

Just keep in mind that they are very much situational cards, skeleton army is a hard counter without general utility.

But oh, that hard counter is just so satisfying.

Atari teenager
May 29, 2008
Picked this one up today.
My first bad impression is that there's no horizontal view.
My first good impression, finally a super cell game where you don't get attacked (raped) when you are offline.

Which clan should I apply? Any rooms left?

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
goonstache has room

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Goonstache is sitting at 23 members at the moment with no trophy requirement to join. Come one come all.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
Then acceeeepppttt meeee

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

rotaryfun posted:

I made one... no trophie requirement. Join me in my suck.

Goonstache
#L2URPL

Applied to the clan thingy.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Man the least they could do is make earned crowns reduce the opening time for chests or something. Anything to encourage players to grind it out and keep the app open instead of closing it and providing an easy exit point.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Opened my first magical chest today, and got pretty lucky on my latest free chest. Got a mini pekka, baby dragon, goblin barrel, goblin baloon, a crapton of tombstones, and a bomb tower. My deck building is suddenly much more complicated and requiring a lot more thinking.

dropkickpikachu posted:

Man the least they could do is make earned crowns reduce the opening time for chests or something. Anything to encourage players to grind it out and keep the app open instead of closing it and providing an easy exit point.

Ah, but that potentially wouldn't make them as much money.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

The Insect Court posted:

This game would feel like so much less of a soulless pay-to-win whale hunt if matches took into account deck level. Nothing that destroys my desire to play more than running into someone tossing around level 6 epics in arena 2.

A lot of epics are really situational and can be countered by cheapo common cards. Having a bunch of epics doesn't mean that the other player is any good, either. Just keep playing, eventually you will have the ability to make a deck full of epics that crashes and burns like everyone else :v:

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Khisanth Magus posted:

Ah, but that potentially wouldn't make them as much money.

True. Supercell makes me sad because they're clearly good designers, but it seems like they don't want to strike the same playerbase balance as, say, hearthstone, where there's room for whales, occasional "$5 once every couple of weeks" players, and strictly free players, and each of those sets of the playerbase feels satisfied and is having fun. It seems like Supercell throws the free players under the bus incredibly quickly compared to a lot of other f2p developers. Clash of Clans is practically made entirely out of exit points for those players.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
ive been playing this for 2 weeks and at most i have gotten is just one magic chest

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
gently caress that loving balloon. That thing has destroyed me twice recently. Guess I need more air attack dudes, but both times I've encountered it my opponent paired it with a dragon, so it AE'd down my spearmen and minions.

KingReploid
Jan 18, 2013

"X" possesses great risks as well as great possibilities.
I just wish I had the purple skeleton card cause then I feel like I'd have a pretty decent deck to start ladder climbing.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
Yea the balloon is a bitch can't wait to get one

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

New Leaf posted:

gently caress that loving balloon. That thing has destroyed me twice recently. Guess I need more air attack dudes, but both times I've encountered it my opponent paired it with a dragon, so it AE'd down my spearmen and minions.

Hmm, I got both of those cards today. Maybe I should give this combo a try.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I missed the skeleton army card on sale and now everyone has it and I don’t :smith: I've finally starting running into people that use it defensively and wow it's really strong.

oh well fat dragon is cool too

commish
Sep 17, 2009

New Leaf posted:

Distract it with a tower. If you put a tower right in the middle, the balloon will attack that first, and your towers can just shoot it down.

CodfishCartographer posted:

I missed the skeleton army card on sale and now everyone has it and I don’t :smith: oh well fat dragon is cool too

That fat dragon is the most popular minion card used in the game by the top 100 players.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

dropkickpikachu posted:

True. Supercell makes me sad because they're clearly good designers, but it seems like they don't want to strike the same playerbase balance as, say, hearthstone, where there's room for whales, occasional "$5 once every couple of weeks" players, and strictly free players, and each of those sets of the playerbase feels satisfied and is having fun. It seems like Supercell throws the free players under the bus incredibly quickly compared to a lot of other f2p developers. Clash of Clans is practically made entirely out of exit points for those players.

This might be best for another thread, but as a fairly casual Hearthstone player I felt seriously disadvantaged compared to folks that had put in more time/money, particularly when playing ranked.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Montalvo posted:

This might be best for another thread, but as a fairly casual Hearthstone player I felt seriously disadvantaged compared to folks that had put in more time/money, particularly when playing ranked.

Indeed not the best place for a discussion on it, but at least Hearthstone has the arena, where for the most part, even filthy casual players are on even footing with whales.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Montalvo posted:

That's true, but at least Hearthstone has stuff like tavern brawl, arena, etc. where you generally always feel like you're building your collection little by little with very little playing for the sake of playing.

In any case I didn't mean to say that Hearthstone is a perfect f2p game, just that Supercell stuff tends to feel like it almost requires a slow drip of real money from you in order to keep moving at all.

Edit: That said, I really do enjoy this game, it feels like their most accessible and fun game so far, and I hope they do a bit to make things more fun for those of us who are a little less likely to give them a couple dollars every few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Valid points, and agreed! I think part of why I enjoy this game is that I am happy with only playing 2-3 games every day or so and keeping my progress slow.