Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

OzyMandrill posted:

I've been writing professional vidya games for nearly 20 years now.
condolences

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!
i write gnu/linux which powers all of the world's most evil corporations' servers

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

One-Man-Bucket posted:

Saving the music industry, so pretty ethical unless you're Sony or Tool or something I guess

I'm also saving the music industry

one song at a time over bittorrent :xd:

owned musiclords

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
I'm trying to replicate a database using Google sheets.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

OzyMandrill posted:

I've been writing professional vidya games for nearly 20 years now. I am personally responsible for gamergate, obesity, and the decline of the western society.

Totally worth it.

A modern day saint imo.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

OzyMandrill posted:

I've been writing professional vidya games for nearly 20 years now. I am personally responsible for gamergate, obesity, and the decline of the western society.

Totally worth it.

it's spelled "video."

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert
mine helps support killing brown people

hella unethical

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

PyPy posted:

I'm trying to replicate a database using Google sheets.

SPREADSHEETS AREN'T loving DATABASES. FIGHT ME IRL.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Glans Dillzig posted:

mine helps support killing brown people

hella unethical

you invented Java?

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
my video james job involves govt sponsored research (canada lól) and the ethics of the project must be measured carefully

i have to report if

- i take someones blood
- i put someting up someones bum
- touch a boob
- etc

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Blackula69 posted:

i mostly use my computer to write about business and finance, op, so I would say it's very unethical

:hfive:

even if youre doing it to help somebody it still feels a bit like making ads for cigarette companies

also i get paid to make gifs in 2016 which isnt ethical at all but the money is fine

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

The Management posted:

I was an intern at a defense contractor many years ago and I will never do it again because of their stupid process and milspec bullshit. but if there was like, a startup for laser guns or death robots I would probably join that.

ekso bionics is pretty close

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

maniacdevnull posted:

SPREADSHEETS AREN'T loving DATABASES. FIGHT ME IRL.

lmao I wish. we've partially implemented a relational one with an excel plugin

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i have cut a man if half using nothing but lambdas

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
right now i'm actually working on a product to aid disabled people's communication. it owns because until starting it i never realised i could touch computers while actually feeling good about myself

but like all tech bullshit it's p much targeted at middleclass white people so idk they'll probably mostly use it to talk about voting trump and bombing the third world :ohdear:

jony ive aces fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Mar 7, 2016

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

pointsofdata posted:

lmao I wish. we've partially implemented a relational one with an excel plugin

You've reduced me to a millennial white girl, because I literally can't even.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Brb, gonna implement a presentation system as a word marco

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Maybe throw in a pop3 client too

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

maniacdevnull posted:

I'm gonna go implement a relational database in Javascript

oh poo poo wait

boingthump
Oct 27, 2005

and i descend from grace

i work in a bank in Corp compliance and fincen compliance. internal audits and making sure we are doing the bare minimum required to maybe stop some money laundering and what not.

banks are bad but my over all cog isn't too unethical imho.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

maniacdevnull posted:

we lose so much time to people copying and pasting bullet points from word to PowerPoint, this is a business critical deficiency, pls fix ASAP

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

for ease of use slides should be defined by having a line like "SLIDE 1" etc. Dave from hq mentioned that some of the presentations have been a bit off brand so you'd better disable the abiliry to change the presentation theme

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I left my computer job at the end of feb because I'm going to an apprenticeship w/ smithsonian research in ohio this summer. I was hired in november and had no projects assigned to me in hte 4 months I had the job so I just browsed and worked on my personal projects for 8 hours a day.

I would have given myself another 2 weeks but they probably would have started prepping for an actual project and I didn't want to look like a jerk leaving immediately after that.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

pointsofdata posted:

so you'd better disable the abiliry to change the presentation theme

*submits slide deck where no two bullets are the same font and size* PERFECT that's what I wanted to see!

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Looking good, stretched, artifacted image that still has the watermark on it!

Apr 7, 2003

maniacdevnull posted:

Looking good, stretched, artifacted image that still has the watermark on it!

I had to vet some "developers" from a large staffing firm that rhymes with Adventure. They were using the same Powerpoint slide as a "resume" and just pasting the box with their skills on top of the previous guys. Like, you could load the file in Powerpoint and drag the top text box away and the last guy's "resume" was under it.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Citizen Tayne posted:

I had to vet some "developers" from a large staffing firm that rhymes with Adventure. They were using the same Powerpoint slide as a "resume" and just pasting the box with their skills on top of the previous guys. Like, you could load the file in Powerpoint and drag the top text box away and the last guy's "resume" was under it.

What?

Like, they did a presentation during the interview? Please, please tell me they did not submit something that was supposed to be a printed document as a pptx. I beg you.

Apr 7, 2003

maniacdevnull posted:

What?

Like, they did a presentation during the interview? Please, please tell me they did not submit something that was supposed to be a printed document as a pptx. I beg you.

That's precisely what happened, they emailed the Powerpoint slide "resumes" to us and we talked to them on a conference call. I was looking at them on my laptop and tried to drag the text box and whoops, there's the other guy's poo poo underneath it.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

It's like, your building a house. And you've got a driver. Really nice one, cordless impact driver, the extended battery, the works. But you come up on a nail. And you just take your really nice, extensive power driver, and just bash the hell out of the nail with the flat side.

Apr 7, 2003

We didn't accept any of them, needless to say.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
The proper answer to this thread is "who loving cares" hth op

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I have killed a man each time I neglect to use const

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
my job is very ethical

i can tell because it's on this list of the "World’s Most Ethical Companies®"

http://worldsmostethicalcompanies.ethisphere.com

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Perplx posted:

my job is very ethical

i can tell because it's on this list of the "World’s Most Ethical Companies®"

http://worldsmostethicalcompanies.ethisphere.com

lol Accenture and Capgemini are on there.

Jesus Kristov
May 2, 2007

Stop liking anime you little shits. I didn't die on the cross for you to do that.
i work on a product for running independant cinemas so on the one hand i support small businesses and help fund the arts but on the other hand i indirectly contribute to filling the coffers of the hollywood jews so i would say i am 0.5 ethical

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

One time i left something to point at null and then i didn't check it before making a function call.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

jony ive aces posted:

right now i'm actually working on a product to aid disabled people's communication. it owns because until starting it i never realised i could touch computers while actually feeling good about myself

but like all tech bullshit it's p much targeted at middleclass white people so idk they'll probably mostly use it to talk about voting trump and bombing the third world :ohdear:

at what point is it ethical to call those people retards

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

can you buy ethics credits like carbon credits

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

GameCube posted:

can you buy ethics credits like carbon credits

of the 20 hours of continuing education credits i hafta take every year two of them must be for ethics

people generally skip those after signing in or w/e it's easy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

nah I mean like ethical offsets. is there some company out there BP pays to plant one baby duck for each one that drowns in oil

• Locked thread