Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's gonna win?
Naito
Tana
Big Mike
Field
View Results

• Locked thread
Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

The New Japan Cup is a a 16 man single elimination tournament. Winner gets a title shot at the singles belt of their choice which will presumably occur at Invasion Attack as has happened since that show's inception in 2013. There's precedence for the winner challenging for a secondary belt as Nakamura chose to challenge Tanahashi to a rematch for the IC after winning the 2014 edition of the NJC.

Night 1 will be tomorrow morning US Time at 5:00 AM and will double as the company's yearly Anniversary show from Ota Ward Gym. The show will feature all eight 1st round matches plus one tag match to get Okada and Shibata on the card as neither are in the tourney due to already being champions.

quote:

New Japan Cup Rd1/NJPW Anniversary show
March 3rd at 5:00 AM EST/10:00 GMT
Ota Ward Gymnasium, Tokyo

NJC Rd 1 Match:Toru Yano vs. Yujiro Takahashi
NJC Rd 1 Match:Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs. Michael Elgin
NJC Rd 1 Match:Togi Makabe vs. Tama Tonga
NJC Rd 1 Match:Tomoaki Honma vs .Satoshi Kojima
Katsuyori Shibata and KUSHIDA vs. CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada and Kasushi Sakuraba)
NJC Rd 1 Match:Yuji Nagata vs. Hirooki Goto
YOSHI-HASHI vs. Tetsuya Naito
Tomohiro Ishii vs. EVIL
Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Bad Luck Fale
Rd 2 will be at Korakuen Friday morning at the normal time of 4:30 EDT/9:30 GMT and the card will not be announced until Day 1 is over for obvious reasons. The tournament will conclude a week later on the 12th with the Semi-Finals and Finals held on the 12th airing from Aomori.

While there's 16 men in the tournament most fans believe only three of them have a reasonable shot at winning the Cup: Naito, Tanahashi, and Elgin

Tetsuya Naito
Pros: One of the company's two top heels and they've kept him and Okada away from each other since his new gimmick evolved. His merch sells very well as a bonus. Would definitely be a very legitimate challenger and many people would pick him to emerge with the title at Invasion Attack

Cons:Since he would be the hottest challenger for Okada they might want to save that for the Osaka-Jo Hall show a couple months later in a market where Naito has drawn a tremendous amount of heel heat even when he's been a face

Michael Elgin
Pros: Just signed a multi-year contract and they may want to reward him. He'd also be a rare fresh challenger for Okada even though they've faced each other once in last year's G1. The company badly needs to create new stars and this would definitely give the guy some credibility as a top tier threat.

Cons: They obviously like him if they essentially gave him MGKA's old contract and slot, but MGKA never got that much of a singles push in tournaments outside of the 2012 G1 either. They also might be understandably leery of having him main event Sumo Hall this quickly and few would seriously expect him to beat Okada.

Hiroshi Tanahashi
Pros: ACE OF THE UNIVERSE (Emeritus?) and ONCE IN A CENTURY TALENT. They could easily go with a Tana/Omega rematch for the IC if they chose to hold off on Okada/Naito until later.

Cons:Doesn't need the credibility like the other two do and it certainly wouldn't help build anyone new. Elgin wouldn't even be able to advance past Rd 2.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Oh, and while I doubt anyone exepects him to win Tama Tonga is a guy worth keeping on eye on. He challenged GBH to a IWGP Championship match and his partner still hasn't been revealed. I could easily see the new mystery BC member showing up to interfere and If Tonga beats Makabe in Rd 1 that would easily be his biggest victory ever.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Come on Naito, actually win something!

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Fale over Tana
Elgin over Tenzan
Tonga over Makabe
Nagata over Goto
Kojima over Honma
Yujiro over Yano
Ishii over EVIL
Naito over Tacos

Elgin over Fale
Nagata over Tonga
Kojima over Yujiro
Naito over Ishii

Elgin over Nagata
Naito over Kojima

Elgin over Naito in the finals

also i'm down for the shibata vs shibata tag match

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Tonfa posted:

also i'm down for the shibata vs shibata tag match

Yeah, Saku's Okada's partner, fixed.

Although.....

https://twitter.com/enuhito_eng/status/705057168140034048

Shibata would really make sense there imo... Would love to see an Ishii/Shibata tag team.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
It's starting oh god I should be asleep but it's starting and They just announced a Super J Cup for 2016!

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

unimportantguy posted:

It's starting oh god I should be asleep but it's starting and They just announced a Super J Cup for 2016!

oh poo poo, I knew Kidani hadabig announcement and that qualififes

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I FEEL LIKE THIS IS FINALLY GOTO's TIM- oh wait i guess we just did that one

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Oh and Shibata actually signed a goddamn NJPW contract apparently (missed the first match).

That's even more important news than the J cup.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Why is Shibata signing a big deal?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

He's been a freelancer for so long to have him finally show commitment to the company when every other story about NJPW talent recently has involved them leaving its a rare positive this year.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Sub Rosa posted:

Why is Shibata signing a big deal?

1. they need the assurance for both themselves and their fans that more top talent isn't defecting.

2. They can actually push him as a top level guy now.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Also he might actually now get a sustained push.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I don't think I was even aware we was a freelancer. Thanks.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Will Ospreay, huh, cool

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
does Shibata signing mean they can finally release his dang entrance music

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Rd two's tomorrow morning at the usual Korakuen Hall start time of 4:30 EST/9:30 GMT

The rest of the card is yet to be announced.

I bet the Finals end up as Elgin vs. Naito now, and the cool thing is that I could easily see either guy winning that.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I won't be able to watch these until this weekend, so a couple questions I'm curious about:

1) How much Bullet Club interference was in the Fale/Tana match? Did it look like they were using it to build to an Omega/Tana IC rematch?
2) How was my boy Tama Tonga's match?

Germ Incubator
Nov 4, 2009

*Cowboy Shit*

Bard Maddox posted:

does Shibata signing mean they can finally release his dang entrance music

I hope so, and more merch please!

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Jenny Angel posted:

I won't be able to watch these until this weekend, so a couple questions I'm curious about :

1) How much Bullet Club interference was in the Fale/Tana match? Did it look like they were using it to build to an Omega/Tana IC rematch?
2) How was my boy Tama Tonga's match?

Fale and Tonga won 100% clean. Aside from that Tonga/Makabe was pretty loving boring.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Wow, yeah. Fale beat Tanahashi clean as a whistle. That was a surprise.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

unimportantguy posted:

Wow, yeah. Fale beat Tanahashi clean as a whistle. That was a surprise.

feel like we say this every year when fale beats a top guy in a tournament because he rarely has singles matches

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Yep, last year he beat Okada in the first round of the NJC and Tana in the G1. It's also kinda cool to build him up for when Elgin beats him tomorrow morning and avenges his tag partner's loss

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Reminder that the 2nd round card from Korakuen Hall begins in 3.5 hours and the full card's now out.

New Japan Cup Round 2
March 4th from Korakuen Hall
4:30 EST/9:30 GMT

Jay White vs. David Finlay
Hiroshi Tanahashi and Juice Robinson vs.Bullet Club (Yujiro Takahashi and Cody Hall)
Shibata, KUSHIDA, Honma, Makabe, and Taguchi vs. Nagata, Tenzan, Liger, Tiger, and Nakanishi
CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada and YOSHI-HASHI) vs. Los Ingobernables de Japon (EVIL and BUSHI)
NJC Round 2 Match:Satoshi Kojima vs. Toru Yano
NJC Round 2 Match:Hirooki Goto vs. Tama Tonga
NJC Round 2 Match:Michael Elgin vs. Bad Luck Fale
NJC Round 2 Match:Tomohiro Ishii vs. Tetsuya Naito

That main could be really good.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Just caught Tenzan vs Elgin from the first night, it was exactly what I expected it to be and I have no complaints about that.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Thauros posted:

Reminder that the 2nd round card from Korakuen Hall begins in 3.5 hours and the full card's now out.

New Japan Cup Round 2
March 4th from Korakuen Hall
4:30 EST/9:30 GMT

Jay White vs. David Finlay
Hiroshi Tanahashi and Juice Robinson vs.Bullet Club (Yujiro Takahashi and Cody Hall)
Shibata, KUSHIDA, Honma, Makabe, and Taguchi vs. Nagata, Tenzan, Liger, Tiger, and Nakanishi
CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada and YOSHI-HASHI) vs. Los Ingobernables de Japon (EVIL and BUSHI)
NJC Round 2 Match:Satoshi Kojima vs. Toru Yano
NJC Round 2 Match:Hirooki Goto vs. Tama Tonga
NJC Round 2 Match:Michael Elgin vs. Bad Luck Fale
NJC Round 2 Match:Tomohiro Ishii vs. Tetsuya Naito

That main could be really good.

Sleeps not happening so why not.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

1) jay and david 4ever
2) cody hall is cycling down this tour
3) lol tanahashi so shameless stealing moose's chant

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

naitooooo

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
watched the tournament matches and they were good. recommend fale/elgin and ishii/naito for sure

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."
Ishii/Naito was crazy. I haven't heard a Japanese crowd pop like that in a while. Multiple times even. So good! Would've liked a different winner but ah well.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Looking forward to Goto sneaking the win so he can go on to choke again.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I think it's a safe bet to say Naito's making the Finals, but who will he face? Gotta say I'm not really looking forward to another Okada/Goto match if that's the direction they go for Invasion Attack.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
my feelings over goto over the last few months have shifted from "whatever" to "please leave" so if he does make it to the finals I hope he utterly fails to govern naito

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

ParanoidInc posted:

my feelings over goto over the last few months have shifted from "whatever" to "please leave" so if he does make it to the finals I hope he utterly fails to govern naito

Naito clowning the poo poo out of Goto would be amazing

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
I think it's pretty obvious Naito is beating Elgin in the finals.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah I'm really hoping for a Naito/Elgin final.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Just now catching up...is it just me or did YOSHI-HASHI actually look not completely terrible in his match against Naito?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Naito/Ishii was match of the night, obviously, but this might have been my favorite part of the show

https://streamable.com/bet6

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Goto/Tonga really surprised me. I was expecting it to be as dull as Tonga's first round match, but those two really pulled it out. Fun to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

EdsTeioh posted:

Just now catching up...is it just me or did YOSHI-HASHI actually look not completely terrible in his match against Naito?

No I fully agree, it was so good I gave it a HM nom and I never thought I'd do that with a YOSHI-HASHI match.

• Locked thread