Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my new dog

by Nyc_Tattoo
is it possible to both do good and bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairmanMeow

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
I'm amazing at bank robbery.

Admiral_eX_laX

Historically Inaccurate
it's like you can make a sandwich really well, like you're a good sandwich maker, but the ingredients you use dont taste good. so yeah.

google THIS

um yeah what do you think neutral alignment is

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
okay, you need to clear some thing up here:
do you mean can an action be both good and bad at the same time?
that the same person can do both good acts and evil ones?
the ability to do two things at the same time which are morally opposed, i.e. drowning a kitten while helping a troubled teen through school?
etc etc???

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
anyway, normative concepts like "good" or "bad" are simply social ones. they only exist as they are applied in a specific social context, and even then their meanings are negotiated on individual levels. its not some kind of inherent property to any actions - it's purely a projected normative quality. so to answer your question: you are making cathegory mistakes, and its the same kind of nonsense like "whats the sound of one hand clapping"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
like killing a baby hitler would be good because its hitler but bad because its a baby?

:ohdear:

alnilam

Nosfereefer posted:

the ability to do two things at the same time which are morally opposed, i.e. drowning a kitten while helping a troubled teen through school?

Ahh yes, i remember back when I was really struggling in school, I was getting made fun of a lot and on the verge of dropping out... and then my Big Brothers And Sisters program mentor drowned a kitten in a little dammed up pond right before my eyes, and somehow, someway, it made everything better. The very next day my grades improved, other kids started liking me, I even became friends with the younger kid I had lashed out at (after apologizing of course). And it all began that one fateful day at the dam.

alnilam

ChairmanMeow posted:

I'm amazing at bank robbery.

Bad bitches are really good at doing bad

Urodov

There is evil in the world, and there is good. Yet these do not live in the heart of man. There are heroes and villains in the world, but they are not people. They are characters, roles. Each actor at one time wears one mask, and at other times, another. Every man works both good and bad, yet never is he righteous, nor is he wicked. He is less than that. And more.

Ãèáåëü â ìîðñêîé âîëíå,                                                                                                спасибо, Слагнойд-кун!
èëè ñâîáîäó

MrWillsauce

:agreed: lol

b h m

hitler killed hitler

MrWillsauce

lol if you think hitler is dead

tao of lmao

my new dog posted:

is it possible to both do good and bad?

lol yea

ChairmanMeow

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
I'm Robin Hood

Doghouse

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
*punches old lady in face*

*saves the whales*

Master J Plus

by Hand Knit
putting a horse in one of those automatic-nutting machines

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

problematic hug

if good and evil are on some spectrum, one would imagine every act excepting the most extreme would be both good and bad. to tie it into a philosophy i know little about, the yin-yang portrays this relationship well, with some of the dark within the light and vice versa. (although to think of yin or yang as good or evil is, as i understand it, not correct)

problematic hug

lol

my new dog

by Nyc_Tattoo

----------------

Peanut and the Gang

by exmarx
There is good and there is bad. But there is also those in the middle: different varying shades of grey. And there are many of them - 50 total, to be exact.

----------------

9hotonic

(after hearing the library has games , i arrive at the front desk, disguised as a non-gamer)

"er.. im here for some.. book's"

b h m posted:

hitler killed hitler

thats the thing right hitler is bad because he killed tons of people BUT he also killed hitler so that makes him slightly good?? but the bad outweighs the good so is he bad or neutral?

MrWillsauce

hitler is bad, just my opinion

tao of lmao

Butt Frosted Cake

it's good that I got it bad got it bad got it bad, im hot for teacher

les fleurs du mall

by LadyAmbien
Is possible to do both just good and bad? we don't know. But we can find out

----------------

watho

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

MrWillsauce posted:

i'm starting to lean this way too now

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BigClutteredJoey-mobile.mp4
thank u vanisher for the sig
and thank u nesamdoom for the good loops

Shaquin

MrWillsauce posted:

im not convinced

Shaquin
say what you want about hitler at least the trains ran on time. someone tried to tell me where the trains were headed but i stopped them because i dont care that much about trains

MrWillsauce

bad bitches are good

joke_explainer

Good and bad being social constructs don't alleviate the typical concern people have on those acts! Social constructs are real in our society. Our society is in fact one giant social construct. It's the general agreement to not murder each other for our stuff or whatever with the agreed-upon notion that it's beneficial if we generally don't do that sort of thing. We can prosper by working together. That entire concept is a social construct, and a very real and useful one.

The concept of understanding the world around us is a social construct. Even our consciousness is even probably a social construct: The mechanisms that allow us to understand ourselves and process our actions as a meaningful narrative are built off of the machinery evolution designed to allow our distant ancestors to understand their social group, particular bits of brain machinery designed to understand and interpret the actions of primates, eventually turned around to deep and fast understanding about the primate making actions that those mechanisms were built inside of. It's a huge mistake to write off anything that is a social construct as unimportant or as immaterial. Just because there is no 'good' or 'evil' in nature doesn't mean such things don't exist. Our entire world is just built on the way we interact with each other and see the world, so trying to base your morality (also a social construct) off the insentient grind of nature is a pretty messed up proposition.

Stik3

From President of the colonies to this.
sometimes when im walking i step on the crack and break my mothers back but not always so i am kinda doing both good and bad

9hotonic

(after hearing the library has games , i arrive at the front desk, disguised as a non-gamer)

"er.. im here for some.. book's"
update: i think hitler was probably bad apparently his trains were really cramped and there were no seats or in-carriage cafe that's pretty lovely :/

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Ok so let's so Mr. Kitty isn't allowed on the table so you say "bad kitty!" every time he jumps on the table but now let's say ISIS moved in next door (bad) and they throw a hand grenade through your window (bad) and Mr. Kitty is now on the table (bad) BUT he baps the hand grenade out of the window and into the pocket of the would-be ISIS assassin (good) then Mr. Kitty has demonstrated that he can do good in the midst of bad.

Thank you, Mr. Kitty

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

alnilam

Thank you, Mr. Kitty

i am he

lol

Notax

theres always "Beyond Good and Evil" for further investigation on this subject if you're ok with unreliable sources for judgmental credibility

watho

Splatmaster posted:

Ok so let's so Mr. Kitty isn't allowed on the table so you say "bad kitty!" every time he jumps on the table but now let's say ISIS moved in next door (bad) and they throw a hand grenade through your window (bad) and Mr. Kitty is now on the table (bad) BUT he baps the hand grenade out of the window and into the pocket of the would-be ISIS assassin (good) then Mr. Kitty has demonstrated that he can do good in the midst of bad.

Thank you, Mr. Kitty

Thank you, Mr Kitty

Notax

watho posted:

Thank you, Mr Kitty

hey if u like giant red demons and thats your thing maybe you should a/s/l with diablo lord of terror

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho

Notax posted:

hey if u like giant red demons and thats your thing maybe you should a/s/l with diablo lord of terror

that does sound like something. that God did sniffer f

• Locked thread