Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
You're ... you're still alive? Wow!

I suppose I should vote on a faction, but ... whatever.

I'm still up for co-commentating, if you're OK with rants about why JC2 is a better game than JC3. (The answer is rings. So much flying/driving/boating through rings. loving rings.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Technically, no.

Unless you want to unlock upgrades.

Which in quite a few cases, you really do.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Shinjobi posted:

JC3 felt like JC2.5. That's not really a bad thing, but they made your grappling hook more amazing and added awesome wingsuit stuff at the cost of driving.

I wouldn't say it's like JC2.5 because some of the changes are just ... weird. Specifically some of the stuff they removed that JC2 had. For example, the minimap is gone. You no longer have a health bar, but on the other hand you now always regen to full health. Individual weapon and vehicle upgrading is now gone. Instead you can unlock upgrades via challenges. Which for vehicles, means racing.

Money is gone, which means that you get "black market" vehicles and weapons using a somewhat weird pickup system where you have a limited number of drops/fast travels before you have to restock them. The pickups to do that are weirdly spread out and in some cases unlocked by completing events that randomly spawn in the world. (And by limited, I mean one. Increasing that limit involves races.)

The upgraded grappling hook and upgraded upgraded grappling hook (assuming you can find those challenges - some of the few that don't involve driving through rings!) are amazing and the wingsuit is a great addition once you understand enough about how it works that it stops being an "instant lawn dart into the ground" button, but that doesn't really make up for the weird steps back from JC2.

Like, in the last video, CirclMastr was able to keep the helicopter flying despite there being anti-air defenses. Helicopters in JC3 are basically flying bombs that die almost instantly, and you no longer have the ability to upgrade vehicle health. Plus, without the minimap, you frequently find yourself in "where the gently caress are those missiles coming from" situations, while you spin the camera around trying to figure out why your shiny new helicopter is spewing black smoke.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
I'm voting from some general chaos too. There are some hilarious moments in the story when you get far enough, but Just Cause really shines when you're just blowing stuff up.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Oh. I'd forgotten that races in Just Cause 2 are substantially better than in Just Cause 3.

So I mentioned JC3 ties races to upgrades, right? And that some of these upgrades are things like "being allowed to use the Fast Travel system more than once" or "being allowed to use the Black Market more than once?"

What I didn't mention is that you're scored on those races, from 1-5 gears. These gears are what unlocks upgrades.

So not only do you need to complete races, you need to do the races almost perfectly to get those five gears.

And you can pick which car you use for them, and the five gear score is based on using the absolute fastest vehicle with basic upgrades.

Basically, you need to be perfect when doing races in JC3, they're nowhere near as forgiving as the races in JC2.

Yeah.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Go ahead and help out the Ular Boys, serdadu.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
I could complain some more about Just Cause 3 if you want more chatter.

Although one of the nice things they did was make it so that you carry infinite placed explosives. You can't throw them any more, but you have an infinite number of them.

Sort of.

You can only place three at once initially, but that can be increased through UPGRADES!

Did you guess you upgrade them through races? WRONG! ...ish.

You upgrade them by driving from one point to another point in some vehicle that has the bomb from Speed installed in it. (You go below a certain undefined "too slow" for too long and it blows up.) And they're timed. And you're scored on the same five-star gear system as every other Challenge. Edit: Oh, and of course if you flip the vehicle, it explodes.

On the other hand, Rico apparently kept the special hacking software for aerial defenses or something, because in JC3 SAM sites are no longer chaos objectives and instead are things you can "hack" to make them target enemy aircraft.

And are also placed in rear end in a top hat places to prevent you from having fun with helicopters, like the inside of a large cavern.

Xenoveritas fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Mar 24, 2016

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

whowhatwhere posted:

So basically JC3 was the work of two competing teams? One designing the ultimate playground, the other sabotaging them every step of the way?

It sure seems like that because the parts of the game where you're just running around blowing poo poo up are legitimately a blast.

Unfortunately, some of the best fun in the game is locked behind upgrades. Like you can pretty effectively use the grapple to completely destroy a base - but only after you've upgraded it so that it doesn't instantly break if you try and pull large objects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Bring us all in. Make it a giant clusterfuck.

Or, better, find someone who hasn't watched the ending because the ending is definitely a thing that should be experienced.

• Locked thread