Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

Breakfast pizza is shockingly good.

I worked at dominos about a decade ago in Australia and had a fairly lenient manager (if you're on at prep open at 8am, worked through the lunch shift or did the close you got to make yourself food (pizza/pasta/chicken wings/whatever) and I was there when they were doing the Aussie with egg and the 7 meats. let me tell you how good a breakfast pizza with lamb and bacon was :perfect:

The other benefit was being near loads of other takeaway joints like a noodle bar, Chinese, KFC, and a few others and doing trades with the other stores for lunch, we'd call up if we were vibing specific things but usually would just wait for the call

Also being there when dominos did pasta owned cos similarly to pizza you could throw whatever you wanted in and it was good AF

ALSO
I just remembered that an ex and myself had a leftover base when we did some from a Nancy Silverton recipe and we made a toffee sauce and put sliced bananas on and roasted that in the oven till the bananas caramelised and had fresh whipped cream on top

Highly advisable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

McSpergin posted:

Free food jobs

Highly advisable

Worked at starbucks in 2000, all the baked goods were from some whole foods industrial bakery, fresh every day...by afternoon we were to throw all the bread and scones out that was left over. We would go home with huge paper sacks of cranberry bread and maple scones and muffins almost every day, plus all the free drinks you want. Not sure if they're as lenient now, but I could live off the free food I got at that job when I worked there.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

LifeSunDeath posted:

Worked at starbucks in 2000, all the baked goods were from some whole foods industrial bakery, fresh every day...by afternoon we were to throw all the bread and scones out that was left over. We would go home with huge paper sacks of cranberry bread and maple scones and muffins almost every day, plus all the free drinks you want. Not sure if they're as lenient now, but I could live off the free food I got at that job when I worked there.

I worked a summer at starbucks around 2005. At that time we would get a pre-sliced loaf of whatever and put one on display and the rest stored in plastic tubs with a day sticker on them. So if we got the loaf Wednesday the rule was keep it until say Friday. Anything unsold by close Friday had a decent chance of getting divvied up by people on shift. It wasn't daily fresh, but it was OK.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

I worked a summer at starbucks around 2005. At that time we would get a pre-sliced loaf of whatever and put one on display and the rest stored in plastic tubs with a day sticker on them. So if we got the loaf Wednesday the rule was keep it until say Friday. Anything unsold by close Friday had a decent chance of getting divvied up by people on shift. It wasn't daily fresh, but it was OK.

They delivered it in those large grey tubs every morning at 430 or so. Yeah it was fresh daily and thrown out daily. Some managers would wait and give it to evening staff but if the morning was slow we could just take stuff. That job was actually really fun, but I went through 3 store managers in a year, they were some of the most hosed up people possible every time.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

I always feel sad when i see this trash panda. I know he shouldnt be eating cotton candy.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

LifeSunDeath posted:

They delivered it in those large grey tubs every morning at 430 or so. Yeah it was fresh daily and thrown out daily. Some managers would wait and give it to evening staff but if the morning was slow we could just take stuff. That job was actually really fun, but I went through 3 store managers in a year, they were some of the most hosed up people possible every time.

They were managing a Starbucks, what do you expect?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

They were managing a Starbucks, what do you expect?

I was 18y/o, I had no clue what I was expecting lol. Two of them were just gently caress ups, the third was this raving bipolar person who would scream at me alone in teh store before we opened for zero reason. I thought I was going to have to call police once cause she was slamming poo poo and screaming and we had to open soon, it was a bad time, but she got fired not reassigned.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

ZombieCrew posted:

I always feel sad when i see this trash panda. I know he shouldnt be eating cotton candy.

The water knows as well. Not for you, klein Waschbaer.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

LifeSunDeath posted:

I was 18y/o, I had no clue what I was expecting lol. Two of them were just gently caress ups, the third was this raving bipolar person who would scream at me alone in teh store before we opened for zero reason. I thought I was going to have to call police once cause she was slamming poo poo and screaming and we had to open soon, it was a bad time, but she got fired not reassigned.

I think it just comes with the territory. Not that there's anything wrong with earning money as a manager of a retail establishment, but I'd say a good 2/3 of them are gently caress-ups in some capacity (especially if most employees are under 30).

My very first job was working at a theater, a cinema to you non-americans (which is a level of anti-food), and in the few days between my orientation and first day on the job, he got fired and arrested for embezzling.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

LifeSunDeath posted:

But I could live off the free food I got at that job when I worked there.

I definitely lived off it because I was often working the 4pm-close shift then working at a friend's bakery for a few hours after when his dad was off work with an injury so I'd get home around 6am, sleep till 2pm then go into work

Also used to steal the kilogram bags of some ingredients for home, lmao. It was rife in that shop. I'd take prepped veggies and the better meats home by the prep container and take kilo bags of the chicken wings for hangovers,our house was a party house so most weekends after close I'd go home and get ratfucked

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Coffee time.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

MariusLecter posted:

Coffee time.

As a youth I would do poo poo like eat sour gummy worms or sweet tarts and take a sip of coffee...don't ever do this.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

MariusLecter posted:

Coffee time.

been a while since I turned on the coffee maker, let's see here... oh

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

yeah, you know someone's made at least one full pot with that and everyone had some of it

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

My Lovely Horse posted:

yeah, you know someone's made at least one full pot with that and everyone had some of it

uhhh... i don't think so tim.

btw that's exactly what mine looked like when i quit drinking coffee abruptly and forgot about it for like a month and a half

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

TheAardvark posted:

uhhh... i don't think so tim.

btw that's exactly what mine looked like when i quit drinking coffee abruptly and forgot about it for like a month and a half

haha.

"doctor says drink less coffee. doctor's orders oh well."

*3 months later*

"my rear end is dragging. need some caffeine."
"oh god."

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

My Lovely Horse posted:

How did you figure out that you hosed up?

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Old roommate of mine had a coffee maker that only produced coffee tasting of mould. There was no visible mould anywhere in it. Once she ran vinegar through it and then it tasted of vinegar and mould.

She would just. You know. Drink it.

That was the era when I bought a cheap French press and used that.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

How did you figure out that you hosed up?
unyielding urge to climb to the roof of a Starbuck's to die

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

RoboRodent posted:

Old roommate of mine had a coffee maker that only produced coffee tasting of mould. There was no visible mould anywhere in it. Once she ran vinegar through it and then it tasted of vinegar and mould.

She would just. You know. Drink it.

That was the era when I bought a cheap French press and used that.

I've seen many office break rooms with moldy coffee maker baskets. It's loving gross, and probably what made Kerig so popular even though it's dogshit.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

zedprime posted:

Hard would not. Absolutely can't stand cheddar and sausage.

e.
VVVVVVVVV
excuse me american cheese product and cheddar all taste the same to me

How has no one brought this up? OP has been eating some super lovely cheddar.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Casu Marzu posted:

How has no one brought this up? OP has been eating some super lovely cheddar.

op needs to get ahold of some nice aged super sharp cheddar and free their mind. comparing american cheese food product to that is blasphemous.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Also make sure it hasn't been aged too long. I ate some 12 year old cheddar once and it was not good.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the secret to making really great cheese is you let bugs chew on it for a while.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

rodbeard posted:

Also make sure it hasn't been aged too long. I ate some 12 year old cheddar once and it was not good.

My roommate keeps trying to throw out my unopened, "expired" cheese, no matter how many times I explain to her that when it does that it just levels up. It's not sharp cheddar anymore, it's now extra extra extra sharp cheddar.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

uber_stoat posted:

the secret to making really great cheese is you let bugs chew on it for a while.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

moldy coffee filter is nothing

I once forgot about some rice I made with chicken stock in a rice maker for a couple of months

the fermented rice goop was so stringy

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

hawowanlawow posted:

moldy coffee filter is nothing

I once forgot about some rice I made with chicken stock in a rice maker for a couple of months

the fermented rice goop was so stringy

i have a friend who can unfortunately one-up you, after he discovered that someone at a party he'd thrown had seen his opened rice cooker, and thrown up in to it. then closed it.

it was at least 3 weeks before he found it. aaaugughgh

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

uber_stoat posted:

op needs to get ahold of some nice aged super sharp cheddar and free their mind. comparing american cheese food product to that is blasphemous.
I'm married to a cheddar person so you're not going to win me over any more than already possible. The forgotten closet cheddar full of Cheese Crystals and processed cheese product taste different but they're all on the same spectrum of sharp cheese that ruins sausage, bread, and eggs. I'd be more than happy to eat your closet cheddar with some figs tho

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/papafagioli/status/1293942450617307136?s=19

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

no

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

you will regret this

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

rodbeard posted:

It really depends. I've had up to 22 year old cheddar and there's been amazing and terrible cheddar pretty much along the whole age range.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

uber_stoat posted:

Canon-balls are so freaking delicious.

It’s not like Casu Marzu where the bugs are still alive.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Oh, 100% would do this.

E: next time I go grocery shopping I'm picking up hotdogs to do this exact thing, probably add some pickles, drat that sounds good.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I'm not going to test the theory but I could see the tuna hotdog tasting ok, when put together in my mind.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

It's healthier because then you don't eat it at all

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Casu Marzu posted:

It really depends. I've had up to 22 year old cheddar and there's been amazing and terrible cheddar pretty much along the whole age range.

How do you age cheese for 22 years. I had a free sample of 12 year old cheese from a cheese maker and I'm pretty sure they were actually just trying to give it away because it was an abomination.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I don’t like the crystals or too much ammonia smell. I am willing to acknowledge that my palate is not super refined in this respect. I just like what I like!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Ultimate Mango posted:

Canon-balls are so freaking delicious.

It’s not like Casu Marzu where the bugs are still alive.

first time i tried this, i could not cut it. i could not cut the cheese. i almost cut my finger off. it is that hard. i eventually resorted to putting it on a cutting board, covering it with plastic wrap, and hitting it with a hammer until it broke into bite size pieces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eotw2qYbxkI