Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Passion fruits are like eating delicious frog eggs.

You've, uh... eaten frog eggs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

I suffer through an eternity of smooth marinara because my girlfriend, though she likes vegetables, can't deal with the texture of an intact piece of tomato. I guess, realistically, I can probably afford to just buy my own sauce separately, but we don't go through it fast enough to not end up wasting it. There's not a lot of things more pathetic than an opened jar of tomato sauce from like 2 months ago that you forgot was in your fridge.

STOP DOXXING ME! :tinfoil:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Goddamn, my husband complains if there aren't more vegetables than pasta when I make fusilli or anything like that. Although to be fair, I agree with him. Veggies are amazing and I love them so.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Have you people never had vodka sauce or anything, smooth pasta sauce is totally a thing :psyduck:

A ton of sauces involve cooking a lot of vegetables together and then blending at the end for a smoother texture.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Okay, I recognize the pink sidewalk chalk, is the yellowish substance stuffing that someone tried to puree?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

It's cake.

Heart – orange cake with raspberry sauce
Lungs – apple spice cake with strawberry sauce
Kidneys – orange cake with blueberry sauce
Stomach – ginger cake with mango sauce
Liver – chocolate cake with kiwi sauce
Small Intestine – jelly roll with red currant jelly

Also:
- white chocolate rib cage
- food coloring to paint the organs
- buttercream frosting blood
- little veins on the organs first with a piping bag, then put big globs of gore on the ribs with a knife
- a little spritz of corn syrup to give it that all-important oozing, wet look

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Gridlocked posted:

It's cake.

Heart – orange cake with raspberry sauce
Lungs – apple spice cake with strawberry sauce
Kidneys – orange cake with blueberry sauce
Stomach – ginger cake with mango sauce
Liver – chocolate cake with kiwi sauce
Small Intestine – jelly roll with red currant jelly

Also:
- white chocolate rib cage
- food coloring to paint the organs
- buttercream frosting blood
- little veins on the organs first with a piping bag, then put big globs of gore on the ribs with a knife
- a little spritz of corn syrup to give it that all-important oozing, wet look

What are the ribs made of?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

RandomPauI posted:

Okay, I recognize the pink sidewalk chalk, is the yellowish substance stuffing that someone tried to puree?

It's probably grits, the green bits are most likely either jalapeno or green onion, the brown is probably bacon pieces or bacobits. This is basically a very depressing/super poor person/ultra lazy version of ham and grits which is a popular dish in the American south.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Zipperelli. posted:

White chocolate

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Zipperelli. posted:

Bone usually.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

Have you people never had vodka sauce or anything, smooth pasta sauce is totally a thing :psyduck:

A ton of sauces involve cooking a lot of vegetables together and then blending at the end for a smoother texture.

I think this is more about the person who likes ketchup on their pasta because it doesn't have discernable vegetables in it, rather than hating on smooth tomato/vegetable sauces. Because they ARE good! But 'my favourite spaghetti sauce is ketchup' sounds like a 5-year-old-child kind of thing :v:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

The Snoo posted:

But 'my favourite spaghetti sauce is ketchup' sounds like a 5-year-old-child kind of thing :v:
The local (major metro area) newspaper just got a new food editor who made the unfortunate decision to begin his introductory article with a story about eating "ketchup noodles"--shells tossed with Heinz ketchup--with his two-year-old niece. He explained that for a big chunk of his life, that was "spaghetti". At least he has an excuse: he grew up in Soviet-occupied Lithuania (:myballs:) and didn't know any better until a neighbor had him over for actual spaghetti Bolognese. Luckily it sounds like he's on the right food track now.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Scathach posted:

When I took a handful of blueberries out of the garden last fall he gave me the weirdest look.

Just... I... what? Over blueberries? Christ, I'm sorry.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

outerpeace posted:

You were in Newcastle. My husband's family is from there. Did you enjoy seeing the empty lots where there used to be industry?

I truly did not! That was a very unique place; thank you for supplying the name. I'm pretty amazed that you could identify it just from that!

Fun Newcastle story: my boyfriend got stopped walking down the road one night because the cop noticed he wasn't wearing clothes from Wal-Mart and therefore must be from out of town. He spent his year there collecting taxidermied lobsters. New Brunswick is an interesting place.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Titus Sardonicus posted:

Just... I... what? Over blueberries? Christ, I'm sorry.

To be fair uncooked fruits/veggies make his throat itch. He eats blueberries, but getting them straight off the bush was a bit weird for the dude.

Scathach has a new favorite as of 18:25 on Apr 9, 2016

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

Talk real good 'cause I'm smart and stuff

Me when browsing this thread:

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Scathach posted:

To be fair uncooked fruits/veggies make his throat itch. He eats blueberries, but getting them straight off the bush was a bit weird for the dude.

Wow, that sucks. I can kinda commiserate (but just kinda): kiwifruit makes my face itch and my lips swell a little. I think I may be allergic to the fuzzy skin.

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

Talk real good 'cause I'm smart and stuff

Titus Sardonicus posted:

Wow, that sucks. I can kinda commiserate (but just kinda): kiwifruit makes my face itch and my lips swell a little. I think I may be allergic to the fuzzy skin.

My ear is a tomatillo, man. My sticky pain knows no equal.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Scathach posted:

There was a loon a while ago who posted a thread asking how to save money (because she had a baby coming, you see) while absolutely refusing to cut back on her husband's Star Wars memorabilia collecting addiction or her own need to go to concerts and buy one of everything at the stores there. She also refused to cook or even eat healthier partially because her husband was "allergic to fresh fruits and vegetables."

You cannot imagine my surprise now to learn that this is apparently a real thing and not an excuse to continue eating fast food/takeout.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
I have a friend who says the same thing, but she attributes it to the pesticides that they spray food with, so maybe try organic fruit or fruit with a peel and see if it has the same effect?

outerpeace
Jan 11, 2005
Let's play a little game I like to call "asking for it"

bringmyfishback posted:

I truly did not! That was a very unique place; thank you for supplying the name. I'm pretty amazed that you could identify it just from that!

Fun Newcastle story: my boyfriend got stopped walking down the road one night because the cop noticed he wasn't wearing clothes from Wal-Mart and therefore must be from out of town. He spent his year there collecting taxidermied lobsters. New Brunswick is an interesting place.

Yeah, I'm waaaay too familiar with the area, haha.

I'm originally from Newfoundland, so I thought no place could weird me out! I was wrong.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

AnonSpore posted:

There was a loon a while ago who posted a thread asking how to save money (because she had a baby coming, you see) while absolutely refusing to cut back on her husband's Star Wars memorabilia collecting addiction or her own need to go to concerts and buy one of everything at the stores there. She also refused to cook or even eat healthier partially because her husband was "allergic to fresh fruits and vegetables."

You cannot imagine my surprise now to learn that this is apparently a real thing and not an excuse to continue eating fast food/takeout.

It's a real pain in the rear end. I don't blame people for being weird about unprocessed fruits/veggies and I can kinda see why it makes trying any new food difficult whe the person is an adult. For him it has nothing to do with pesticides, but is likely linked to birch pollen or some other weird pollen. Cooking it solves the problem.

https://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/library/allergy-library/outdoor-allergies-and-food-allergies-can-be-relate.aspx

Anyway gross food!

Scathach has a new favorite as of 00:15 on Apr 10, 2016

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Eponine posted:

I have a friend who says the same thing, but she attributes it to the pesticides that they spray food with, so maybe try organic fruit or fruit with a peel and see if it has the same effect?

Well, my ex-wife used to work produce and would break out all over her arms if she didn't wear long rubber gloves every time they sorted greens (which she could eat with no problem), so your friend's analysis seem plausible.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS

AnonSpore posted:

Ah yes, Blue Story. I thought of the same thing.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Scathach posted:

It's a real pain in the rear end. I don't blame people for being weird about unprocessed fruits/veggies and I can kinda see why it makes trying any new food difficult whe the person is an adult. For him it has nothing to do with pesticides, but is likely linked to birch pollen or some other weird pollen. Cooking it solves the problem.

https://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/library/allergy-library/outdoor-allergies-and-food-allergies-can-be-relate.aspx

Anyway gross food!

Huh, didn't know that they still made the canned tamales...

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

AnonSpore posted:

I have never had/heard of vodka sauce. It sounds like something someone made up as a joke.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I have never had/heard of vodka sauce. It sounds like something someone made up as a joke.

Vodka sauce is tomato sauce with a healthy glug or two of vodka, stewed for a good while, then blended for a smooth consistency and finished off with cup or so of heavy cream. It's really good.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Scathach posted:

Anyway gross food!

Take a big can of these, chop them up, and stir into boiled elbow macaroni. One of my granddad's favorite dishes. :barf:

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
My dad grew up in Florida and Georgia during the 1960's/early 70's and I think he basically subsisted entirely on garbage food for the first 15 years of his life. When we were little, he'd make us stuff "your grandma made me" and it was like pub cheese on pickled bologna, broiled pimento cheese on wonderbread or Vienna sausages from a can with barbecue sauce. I'm not sure if I would eat anything like that now, but tamales in a can sounds like something he would have eaten.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Yeah, if your childhood or young adulthood covered the '50s through mid-'60s, then you ate a lot of garbage canned or frozen food. Transportation and refrigeration wasn't nearly as effective as today, so eating fresh food generally meant you were poor and growing your own garden. Canned and frozen food was a sign you could afford to buy all your groceries instead of growing them, so that crap wound up a sign of success and affluence.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Scathach posted:

Anyway gross food!

I discovered the greatness of tamales relatively late in my life, so when I finally noticed these at the supermarket in my 20s, I had to try them. You know how canned chili isn't as good as homemade, but if you want a chili dog, it's the perfect consistency?

Well, I can't say the same for the canned tamales. And if I'm remembering correctly, they came wrapped in waxed paper, IN THE CAN, in the greasy sauce and everything, to keep them from sticking together. I had no idea, because why would you expect that, so I almost took a big bite out of one, waxed paper and all.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I discovered the greatness of tamales relatively late in my life, so when I finally noticed these at the supermarket in my 20s, I had to try them. You know how canned chili isn't as good as homemade, but if you want a chili dog, it's the perfect consistency?

Well, I can't say the same for the canned tamales. And if I'm remembering correctly, they came wrapped in waxed paper, IN THE CAN, in the greasy sauce and everything, to keep them from sticking together. I had no idea, because why would you expect that, so I almost took a big bite out of one, waxed paper and all.

That was just the "tortilla" though.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

No they definitely have wax paper on them.

And I actually like canned tamales in boxed mac & cheese. My shameful garbage food loves are all blending together.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Holy hell I love you people but you really need to experience authentic, handmade tamales. They are so much better than that weird mess and wax paper and tortillas are never involved.

Anyway.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Those are great too. But much like a fine, high quality, good meat sausage doesn't trigger the same warm memories of a vaguely tube-shaped slush of testicles and eyeballs that is a low grade hot dog, canned tamales and the good stuff are entirely different experiences.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I actually prefer boxed Kraft mac and cheese because all the other mac and cheese recipes I've tried have been too overpoweringly cheesy.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Eh, yeah I admit weirdass canned food has it's charms. I discovered instant pho two days ago and well... I ve eaten a ton of pho since then. Pictured below: not pho.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

Scathach posted:

Eh, yeah I admit weirdass canned food has it's charms. I discovered instant pho two days ago and well... I ve eaten a ton of pho since then. Pictured below: not pho.

Have had and would again, that's a little packet of horseradish mayo and it is delicious on those yakisoba noodles

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Eponine posted:

...are you under the impression that organic produce does not use pesticides?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

AnonSpore posted:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/384408932061417472