Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Trillian posted:

That looks like a crockpot. Is that a... hot fruit salad?

They're going to a Jerri Blank party!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Diabeetz living up to your name.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Strict kosher Jews can probably also enjoy a cheeseburger with vegan cheese.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Tiberius Thyben posted:

It wouldn't be lasagna then, would it?

Not everything has to be lasagna.

On Pinterest the other day I saw a gluten-free, meatless paleo lasagna. Instead of noodles, it used zucchini from the mandolin slicer. Instead of meat, it had squash, mushrooms and onions. Instead of cheese on top it had sadness. And instead of a lasagna, it was a loving vegetable casserole.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Until that last picture, I thought someone just threw a sheet of pastry dough over a casserole.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
It's hot poo poo.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
I have a friend who says the same thing, but she attributes it to the pesticides that they spray food with, so maybe try organic fruit or fruit with a peel and see if it has the same effect?

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
My dad grew up in Florida and Georgia during the 1960's/early 70's and I think he basically subsisted entirely on garbage food for the first 15 years of his life. When we were little, he'd make us stuff "your grandma made me" and it was like pub cheese on pickled bologna, broiled pimento cheese on wonderbread or Vienna sausages from a can with barbecue sauce. I'm not sure if I would eat anything like that now, but tamales in a can sounds like something he would have eaten.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

...are you under the impression that organic produce does not use pesticides?

No, but the chemical that triggers the allergy may not be present in an organic food. The friend who is allergic says that local fruits and veggies tend to be better than, say, out of season berries shipped from Mexico, for her. And she's definitely not a woo-woo kind of person. 90% of the time; she just doesn't eat fruits or vegetables unless they've had the poo poo cooked out of them.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Ddraig posted:

There's literally nothing wrong with canned foods and those who think there is are the worst kinds of food snobs.

I use those canned potatoes in cooking. They're excellent in a homemade vindaloo :colbert:

Except canned green beans. Or canned asparagus.

Canned beans (not green beans; black beans, kidney beans, chickpeas) save a ton of time. Tomatoes and artichoke hearts are a no-brainer. Most other canned veggies are easier to find and cheaper frozen. And not as water-logged.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

pentyne posted:

I don't get the velveeta hate. It works perfectly for what it was meant for, a cheese and melts extremely easily and doesn't clump up or have pools of fat in the sauce. Same with margarine, great for baking, terrible for any other alternative use of butter.

Velveeta and Ro-Tel tomatoes is a great party dip and I refuse to apologize for it. I even have a scar on my arm from making it (because I am incompetent).

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Kraft singles keep for longer than regular cheddar cheese, so lazy as in you skip the step where you look for mold or remember when you bought that cheese.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
I can do most store brand stuff that's not pasta or crackers. Pasta can be ok if the amount of durum to semolina is the same as the store brand, but I've been burned (or in the case of pasta, congealed into a starchy mess) too many times and dried pasta is pretty loving cheap anyways.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Say what you will, after about three months living in France, all I wanted was to enjoy a coffee for more than three sips and not have it be Nescafé. I ended up going to a specialty kitchen store and buying a French press so that I could feel adequately caffeinated before going to work.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

cash crab posted:

My best friend is living in a little village south of Toulouse and for the first while, all he bitched about how much he missed coffee. I always assumed the French liked coffee.

They like going to little cafes and drinking thimbles of espresso, but your everyday morning coffee was likely instant coffee. Instant wasn't terrible and I drank it probably twice a week or so when my start time was later and I didn't really need to caffeine jolt. It's probably psychological, but I need at LEAST an hour to enjoy coffee in the morning before I feel like o can safely interact with other humans.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
I don't want to go to the future.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

cyberia posted:

School lunches, you say?

A lot of girls with eating disorders had these raw lunches in small portions (three blueberries).

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Bean and ham soup is possibly best eaten cold, condensed and out of the can.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Pretty much every time there has been an Ebola outbreak, it can be traced to a food shortage that leads people to hunting and eating bats and/or passing said bats off as other meat in markets to make money.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Is that a wheat cracker stuck into a boiled potato? I don't even want to know what they do in the bedroom.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
So what you're saying is that you didn't have a pleasant pheasant experience.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
It's like those froyo places except savory and you can put whatever toppings you want in your taters?

SOLD.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

cash crab posted:

That one? It looks like sauce to me, but who knows.

I see it as a liquid but it still looks dry to me. Some horrid optical food illusion.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
But you get to feel like a giant and eat four of them! Plus they have crinkle cut fries, which are just objectively the second most delicious kind of fries, under waffle fries.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

RareAcumen posted:

Where do steak fries rank among all of them?

Steak fries! For when you want your side to also be a meal.

0. Fry-stand fries-God-tier
1. Waffle fries
2. Crinkle cut fries
3. Curly fries
4. Shoestring fries
5. Hashbrowns, any kind except the log kind
6. Home fries
7. Steak fries cooked thoroughly
8. "Thick cut" fries

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

DrBouvenstein posted:

Man, you're almost on the money. But crinkle-cut fries suck something fierce, move them down below steak fries cooked properly, and then move homefries up above hashbrowns. Also...what is a "log" hashbrown? :confused:

When I was working at a summer camp, we would have these McCain foods hashbrown logs with "scrambled eggs" about three times a week.

They were about two fingers thick and the size of your hand and couldn't really be eaten properly. If you ate them like finger food, we called it a Potato BJ and they weren't really able to be cut since they just kind of mushed down. As the summer went on, the cooks gave fewer shits and the logs would come out lukewarm or still partially frozen. Even then, the kids got points for their teams based upon how little leftover food they had on their plates, so I would smuggle six hashbrown logs to the staff members only microwave to give them a chance at finishing their food.

They were on their own with those drat fake scrambled eggs though.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Eldercain posted:

It's a fundraiser for a local elementary school.

Whenever I see someone write like this (on Facebook. Always on Facebook), I read with the breathless urgency of a messenger in the Revolutionary War delivering a message that he ran across a battlefield to deliver.

"General Washington says please come to the cookout entry is $15 lunch is provided unless it rains out then it will be July 16th bring your friends and family if you want to have a good time and watch some Hessians get their asses kicked and maybe some fireworks if weather is good please send a message to General Washington as soon as you can"

*faints of exhaustion*

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
I liked that blueberry wheat ale! But I also really love fruit lambics, so I am definitely not your average adult beer drinker.

Edit: the Sweetwater stuff, not bright blue beer.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

constantinople posted:

Why does it have no fish.

It's vegan?

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

axolotl farmer posted:

Tomato, turmeric, spinach and beets.

I would read Bob Loblaw's hog logs blog.

I used to work for a company that had Loblaws as a client for some website work. When we got a bug report, I called it Bob Loblaws Flaw Log.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

It looks like hearing aids and Velveeta, but I know it is a sad leftovers lunch that I brought in a hot-and-sour soup container because I'm too cheap to buy real Tupperware and now I'm going to heat and eat that like I'm somehow enjoy it.

Happy Monday!

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

This is my favorite not-homemade guacamole. The kale gives a decent texture.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Drinking only diet soda is like eating only vegan brownies. When you're used to it, you're fine with it. But don't tell me that your diet soda is "exactly the same" as a sugary Coke. The exception is rum and Diet Coke, which is slightly better than rum and Coke if you are poor and need to get drunk at a bar.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Loose corn soup, y'all!

I'm sure it tastes fine, but it looks like loose poops.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Let me tell you how to take your gnocchi game to the next level: put some butter in a pan, melt it and put your boiled gnocchi in and sauté with garlic and broccoli, then top with pesto.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

cyberia posted:

I used this recipe and it's easy and turns out good gnocchi.

The basic information is:
  • Use a starchy potato like desiree potatoes
  • Boil potatoes in their skins
  • Use a potato ricer to mash them (do not use a food processor)
  • You don't need egg, only potato and flour
  • Cook gnocchi once they are shaped-because you don't want to add too much flour
  • 1 kilo desiree potatoes
  • 350g Italian 00 flour plus extra for the board
  • Your favourite sauce to serve it with (pesto, simple tomato, browned butter & sage, whatever takes your fancy)
  • You will also need a knife or pastry cutter and a ridged gnocchi board or fork

There's photos on the page I linked of how to roll the dough and cut / shape the gnocchi itself.

I skimmed the recipe, but I usually use semolina flour for density, since I found all-purpose flour to make them a little too fluffy for my tastes. If you don't have a board like they do in the recipe, I usually form them against the tines of a fork to create the ridges.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

NLJP posted:

quorn is ok. not great but ok.

I'd get Boca Grillers over Quorn.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

mostlygray posted:

I grew up right next to a farm that kept their chickens "free range" i.e. they were kept in the yard to peck and cluck and ruin your day instead of the ideal of being smashed in a box. They would roost at night and the layers would lay, and you would pick eggs from the filthy bastards every day or so.

They smelled terrible, pecked you like crazy, wouldn't shut up, and were general awful creatures. My mother is a strict vegetarian but still smiles when yet another chicken goes to their maker. They are terrible, disgusting, abominations. The only reason to raise chickens is for the pleasure of killing them.

You cook the chicken through with no pink to make sure that their soul goes back down to their creator, Satan. You don't want those bastards coming back to haunt you.

I volunteered on a farm once that had chickens. I'd go out to the hen house every morning to feed the chickens and collect six or so eggs and make sure their water wasn't frozen over. And every morning the rooster would attack me claws-first. Luckily it was January, so I was wearing duck canvas coveralls over my pajamas and didn't feel a thing. I mentioned this to the farm owner over breakfast and she said she wouldn't tolerate that behavior in her animals and that bird didn't see noon.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Chicken Harmesan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Chicago-style fruit pizza sounds like it should be a fruit salad in a puff pastry bowl with yogurt/sugar cream cheese mixture, not the perfectly acceptable fruit pizza shown.

You should also have instant regret after starting to eat any sort of Chicago-style pizza.