Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

NewFatMike posted:

I think putting cheese on an Italian beef might make it some kind of cheese steak sandwich? The taxonomy gets vague. I had also never considered the possibility of cheese on an Italian beef, so there is also that.

Portillo's in Chicago has the Beef n Cheddar Croissant which is Italian beef with cheese inside a croissant so it's definitely fair game to experiment with. The sandwich in question is devestatingly delicious and presumably if eaten with one of their milkshakes will permanently bind your soul to the Midwest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pastry of the Year posted:

"Cheese filled hotdogs, with melted cheese on the outside"

I can not lie, this could possibly be a photo of my meals from college. I'd eat this and rice and beans and some broccoli for like all of my meals to save money and by god I'm glad I'm not currently dead.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Eat some goddamn crawfish then have a bannanas foster while you drink and then finish it off with some cafe au lair made with chickory coffee blend.

Also eat gumbo cause it's hands down the best soup/stew/water based dish in America. Etouffe ain't bad either

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Related to brand recipes, I once worked years ago for a packaged meat company as my client. During that time the brand was trying to revitalize its lagging rope sausage business and believed that the issue was purely that consumers didn't have enough go-to recipes to use their product. Not that the product was unwieldy, few customers grew up eating it with regularity, the pricing was over the competition, the brand had imploded their advertising, the product was ridiculously fatty and salt rich; no the problem was simply consumers didn't have enough recipes and if this was fixed we'd blow the doors off this category, budget to actually advertise said recipes be damned. I worked in this role for approximately 12 months and they produced a single recipe for this initiative.

It was a find->replace Chicken Alfredo, except using their massively fattier rope sausage product not made with chicken.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

NewFatMike posted:

Did they just move the big Mac closer to the camera for the grand Mac?

Nah, its a legitimately larger size with different patty and bun so it actually tastes a bit more like burger than the standard one. It was very successful in Europe and was brought to the states after the build it your way concept completely failed here.

The Grand Big Mac was the bane of my existence when I worked for corporate McDonalds because every country in Europe called it something different and treated their media budgets and strategies for it completely different and seriously you will never gain a more immediate understanding of national stereotypes than when you work in a global position.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Oreos are everywhere in China and like other American imports they go gaga for like Chips Ahoy they somehow found a way to distill a worse flavor than the American one.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zipperelli. posted:

Personal AFP: when I first moved to Florida from Boston, I had no idea what grits were. Like, the conversation between Joe Peschi and the cook at the diner in My Cousin Vinny literally happened to me irl.

Anyway, the first time I had them, I thought they were similar to oatmeal, and I added sugar.

The looks of horror I got from other southerners in the greasy spoon diner I was in was incredible (I was eating at the counter, so in full view of everyone). To this day, I still put sugar into my grits (I do add salt and pepper as well too).

I think its about time you moved on from this town, stranger.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tim Hortins is so garbage it worries me about the future of my beloved Popeyes.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Fear not. In every coffeeshop in Manhattan you can get a latte. And you will. No matter what you order.

Latte? Big cup of milky coffee with little flowers drawn on top in milk.
Cappuccino? Big cup of milky coffee with little flowers drawn on top in milk.
Flat white? Big cup of milky coffee with little flowers drawn on top in milk.

You also need to pay attention to what kind of establishment youre in. If you dont see any vietnamese people or feel maybe the south will rise again dont order a cafe au lait.

Cafe con Leche? Big cup of milk coffee
Cafe con Leche from a dude who you are uncertain if he is not an actual active worshipper of Tlaloc? The best coffee of your life

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Maybe the recipe is to chicken as million dollar baby is to boxing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CeramicPig posted:

I don't think I ever posted this but this came up on my fb feed a while ago

I hope these Hot Dogs get caught in the south side.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Non-Hunan style chinese food isnt spicy and Hujiao are numbing peppers and actively make it harder to taste your meal as it goes on. Shanghai and Taiwan slather sugar on meat and its just foul, and for some reason North Asia believes red beans smothered in sugar are a desert item. If you go to some smaller towns in more rural areas you can find truly dire food choices such as small farming communities outside of Wuhan decided that what meat needed was artificial bitterness as though you burned it through.

No pictures but the worst meal Ive ever been served was bone-in snake because it was like eating shoe leather that you had to pick through for hours to avoid bones.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CommonShore posted:

I thought with snake you were supposed to crunch the bones.

It was a snake intended to serve 6.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Are you talking about red bean paste (which is good) or, like, whole beans in syrup or something?

Its usually paste, but Ive been blinsided by whole red beans in thick syrupy sugar sauce. I dont really touch dessers when Im over there anymore as another common desert trick is fried bread with mayonaise and fuuuuuck that. Ill chug hillbilly moonshine long before I eat desert mayonaise again.

I dont know why sugar got into everything in some north Asian regions cusines there but I wish it would stop or at least not surprise me when I least expect it like in seafood.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

McSpergin posted:

That's actually eye opening and incredibly upsetting. I've never had bad ddoekbokki locally or at home! :( especially not where it's overtly sweet, unless the places I go tone sugar down or use a less sweet sugar or just cook it out?

Outside of those countries they have way less sugar in them. Its a combination of the people who emmigrated took the old no or low sugar variation or the new host culture frankly doesnt care for eating piles of syrup mixed into the food so a more locally palatable version is made.

This process working in reverse is how you have fuckloads of Chinese people asking me about what it was like to live in New Orleans, the birthplace of the American Chicken Wing dish which is known for being cloyingly sweet as though it were sauteed in a coke reduction then had honey poured on it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Picnic Princess posted:

When I was a kid I used to sit in the field at recess, pull up individual blades of grass, and eat the white bit at the base of the leaf.

I suppose you could say I was strange, but it actually tasted pretty good.

I did this but, you know, with wild onions.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

From top to bottom, thats a microwaveable mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It appears to be served on the floor of United's prisoner detention area.