Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

How about an amuse bouche?

Cucumber marshmallow served on a tin of sardines. Very amusing. Tasted like sweet cucumber foam. The rest of the meal was pretty much regular food though, albeit pretty fancy. I don't know how I really feel about amuse bouches. They are almost always quite silly, but they are certainly interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Scathach posted:

Am I allowed to ask how much that cost? Because I really want to know. Also did you get to eat the sardines too?

You are, but I am really not- it was a pre-wedding thing that I went to. It was dinner for about 20 people at a fancy place in a suburb, so my husband and I estimated around 50-75 a head, but we had like six courses so I'd reckon those are a few Euros each (this is in The Netherlands). I would have much rather eaten the sardines. It was p fancy but even I, as the proverbial uncultured American cousin, was able to pick out some issues with the meal. Like we got these real nice pork cutlets, but then was a side dish that was just salty corned beef on top of a ravioli filled with more salty dry meat, and desert was strawberries (fine) and frozen yogurt (also fine) but they also put in some rhubarb crunched up ice, which would have been fine if it was just sweetened rhubarb, but the texture was off and I don't see why they need two kinds of frozen stuff, it didn't really add to the dish.

My husbands family is really into this sort of restaurants, and it took some getting used to. Like the first time I was here it was someone's b-day and "here's some fish foam with the endocrine gland from a calf!" It's all so over-hyped, and the trend recently, as from above, is to just cram as many flavors/textures into dish because why the gently caress not?

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

I know I'm a bit late for booze chat, but

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

From the first time I saw it in a store when I shopping with my grandma as a kid, I still can't loving believe that Clamato exists.

edit-from Wikipedia

"Clamato is used primarily as a mix for alcoholic beverages (an estimated 60% of sales in the US in 2008[4]), and it is popular for this in both Canada and Mexico, but curiously much less so in the United States (outside of Canadian-American and Mexican-American communities)."

That means 40% of people buying it aren't mixing it :psyduck:

Ralph Crammed In has a new favorite as of 20:20 on Jun 2, 2016

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Micheladas sound awful, but I also thought I would hate Brass Monkeys, which is Sunny D and cheap lager, but I loved them. I don't know what to think anymore. There's no beer rules anymore.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

I'm always struck in this thread by how starchy these meals are. Potatoes AND pasta? Bread AND mashed potatoes? I'm a fatty myself but I always try to limit the starch to one aspect and have plenty of veg and protein. Anyone else constantly icked out by how much starch people seem to eat?

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Some prefer their poo sandwiches dry

and other like it wet

Or not even as a sandwich at all!

Even the vegans can get in on it!

Poopballen! :geert:

Maybe I'm being a big baby about it, but it always looks to me like it's literally a big old poo poo on a bun. But Dutch snack food is gross in general.

Frikandel-

Kroket-

Kroket isn't really that bad, sorta like fried thick gravy, but you got to get used to it. But why fry gravy you ask?

Because why not fry everything!

There's a reason there's not really Dutch cuisine internationally. When my Dad came over to visit he wanted to get some good local food so we took him out to an Indonesian place.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Question for ya'll -

I never ever peel potatoes. I think it's both a waste of time and bad nutritionally because there's a lot of vitamins and minerals in the skin (or just under it, whatever). So I give them a good rinse before cooking them to get rid of any dirt on them. However, it has recently come to my attention that some people find this unacceptable and must have their tubery starch completely skinless.

Am I wrong or are these fussy babies who can't handle potato skin wrong?

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

I always leave the skin on for mashed potatoes too. Gives it a nice texture and a little bit more flavor, otherwise it's just a bland pile of mushed up potatoes.

I once saw a cooking show where the fancy chef peeled the potatoes he was boiling up, but then saved the peelings and put them in a cheesecloth bag and then put them back into the the boiling potato water.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

You'd have purple poop afterwards though.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Mmmm, nothing like loose corn in the park on hot late August afternoon!

(This is in the Netherlands. My Swedish friend saw it and instead of going "what the poo poo" she exclaimed "I love corn!" Europeans man, I tells ya.)

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Ick, just soggy corn straight from a can when it's about 90 degrees out in the hot sun? Heated up, with some butter and pepper on a plate, yes, but not in a can on park bench on the hottest day of the year. It's just bizarre.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Canned green beans have one good use - mixing in with dry dog food when your dog gets too fat. Ours gobbles it right up without complaint. Before we just feed her less than she had but she whined and whined about getting less.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Once when we ordered the chefs menu for an appatizer we got served green beans from a can in a taco shell. It was bearable because this place had all you drink wine, and when asked if we wanted red or white I said "both" and thought she meant glasses but instead it was bottles, so after two litres of wine canned green beans in a taco shell seemed delightful.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

fizzymercy posted:

Are you sure you didn't dream this? gently caress man, there's no amount of drinking that makes green bean tacos okay.

They weren't even normal taco shells, they were taco shell boats I guess you could call them. Right around this time a major grocery store was getting bought out and they deeply discounted their stock and when I went to go check it out there was tons of these taco shell boats-I bought a pack and they were the same ones served to me at the restaurant. It was a "fusion" cuisine place, and we were also served some pretty okay sashimi as well at the same meal.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Not the same brand, but the same sorta containment unit.

I just asked my husband if he remembered the name of the place and he did. In Den Vollen Potvisch - In the full (stomach of the) sperm whale. Sadly, it's closed down since so I can't find a menu online and the fb for the place doesn't have anything interesting on it.

Unless it's very expensive or specifically foreign cuisine, Dutch restaurants are pretty mediocre to terrible in general: putting zucchini in the place of cucumbers in a salad, charging extra for ketchup, nachos that are just grated cheese on 8 tortilla chips that costs 6 euros, that sort of thing. Most of it stems from the Dutch being a very miserly/inhospitable people. One of my biggest food annoyances here is that whenever there is lunch provided at an event or meeting or something it's almost always just basic sandwiches (usually dry without mayo because that'd be an extra half a cent or whatever).

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

After experiencing my family's tradition potluck style Thanksgiving in America, upon returning to The Netherlands my husband convinced his family to make Christmas diner this year potluck style as well. So, having purchased a bunch of cookbooks from the 60s on our trip, I figured what would be more appropriate to make our assigned potato dish from one of them? So today I picked a recipe from Sunset Magazines Favorite Recipes to test it out. And what the gently caress, I figured, maybe there's a good recipe for the cod we got as well.

Oh no

(ignore the red circle, I was highlighting it for someone else)

That's all the choices. Welcome to 1969 motherfucker, you get your fish in aspic or cheese or you don't get it all.

When you need your food to be handsome, and if not that, at least handy.

But maybe you're not one of them egghead chefs in an ivory tower. In that case, you need it to be easy.

Bonus: here's what I made

Apparently everything from back them was either made of puke or engineered to make you puke. Well, wish me luck. America's culinary reputation depends on it.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

OutsideAngel posted:

Judging by the recipe, you made aggressively mediocre scalloped potatoes.

Whoa buddy, did you not notice the WHOLE TABLESPOON of pimentos.

And they were aggressively serviceable as a potato dish; I'm not trying to steal the show here, just making a good side.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

A simple drizzle icing isn't as simple as it sounds.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Teriyaki Doritos sound pretty good.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

If you're having difficulties finding a good place to buy your coffee flavored warm milkshakes a good option is to grow up and just make your own coffee at home with beans you like that you like.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

I know chili chat was a few pages ago, but-

No I didn't get it, because I don't want to eat poo poo chili in any circumstance, on pizza or not.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

spudsbuckley posted:

Lidls weekly special foodstuffs could have their own thread of awfulness.

Lidl's rotating stock is one of the purest forms of joy in my life, but I don't lead a very interesting life. I love doing my weekly shopping and seeing what new stuff they got. Sometimes it's great, I can get maple syrup or retsina on the cheap and sometimes it's corn and beans on bread. I like it when it's American week so I can judge them for their misrepresentation of my homeland.

What's more American than hot dogs in a jar? Or tiny pancakes? (Seriously though, that's a great deal on maple syrup, my other grocery store sells it for more than double).
GIS for Lidl (nationality of your choice) week for some hot takes on what it is foreigners eat.

What country are you in? I'm in the Netherlands and our Lidl's (and grocery stores in general) are so tiny compared to the wondrous ones in Germany or France. We get only a small fraction of what the Germans or the French get, stock wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Many a year ago when I was about fourteen or fifteen, so a good 15 years ago, my mom and I were at a softball game for my sister's middle school team. Now, if you have ever been to softball game, there's a lot of time to sit and chat. So, my mom tells me this, that Ritz crackers have subliminal sex codes on them, and that she noticed it herself way back in the day when she was half asleep.

I was shocked by this observation. But I love Ritz! I meant to shout. And I did, because my grandma always gave them to me as treats. However, instead, I shouted

"BUT I LOVE SEX!" in front of all the mothers and siblings of the middle school mothers.

That's my subliminal Ritz sex story thanks for reading.