Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Alaois posted:

what is vegan cheese made of

There's a shop near my house that sell something called "bio cheese" that claims to be a vegan cheese substitute. I'll buy some when I go out today and let you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

As promised, I have returned with "bio cheese".

I don't know what it has to do with faith-based fasting, but other than that it all seems pretty straight-forward. Well, except for the "vegan flavours" listed in the ingredients. But whatever those are, they're not animal products, gluten, soy, lactose, palm oil or genetically modified.

What good is cheese if you can't eat it on crackers? And you can eat this on crackers. It's kind of cheesy. The flavour and texture is sort of half way between cheap cheddar (like Coles Smart Buy tasty cheddar) and processed cheese (like Kraft singles). Fairly bland, fairly inoffensive. But I notice that it also claims to be "easy melt", and that seems like a claim that must be tested.

It doesn't look very melted but it turns out it just holds its shape disturbingly well. It's actually very soft, almost liquidy now. It has a very smooth texture, and a more interesting flavour as well, almost like a bechamel sauce.

Straight out of the pack it's entirely unremarkable, but melting definitely improves it. I actually quite like it. I'm impressed really. It's a serviceable replacement for cheese in sandwiches and would probably work pretty well on pasta, maybe even on pizza. I wouldn't go out of my way for it, but I'd happily eat it again.

Tiggum has a new favorite as of 09:00 on Mar 7, 2016

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

Did... you make a peanut butter bio-cheese grilled cheese?

Nah, that's tuna with tomato and basil. It worked pretty well with the bio cheese (and looked slightly redder in real life than it does in that photo).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Is the beetroot pickled or not, this is v. important

Yes, pickled.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Gridlocked posted:

It's a weird thing we do up here.

And by we I mean other Queenslanders cause I hate beetroot.

Pretty sure beetroot in hamburgers is common all throughout Australia (and maybe NZ?).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

Was this based off of FYAD's Wayne Gretzkys guy fieri menu? It's even written similarly but it's obviously not him.

The content was stolen from a bunch of different people on Twitter: http://gawker.com/5985609/why-we-cant-have-nice-things-that-hilarious-fake-guy-fieri-menu-is-just-a-bunch-of-stolen-twitter-jokes

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCmCJPlxCTI

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The Ferret King posted:

Can you give me an example of the correct pronunciation?

Lih-kyoo-er.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

27 Utterly Terrible Ways Food Was Actually Served In 2015

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

No kid likes relish, onions or Dijon mustard.
You're a crazy person.

MariusLecter posted:

Tuna and mayo on white bread. Kids will still think its gross
So are you.

Electrical Fire posted:

I thought it was cream cheese and I was thinking it was kinda gross. Then I saw the hashtag.
So what is it?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

Have you people never had vodka sauce or anything, smooth pasta sauce is totally a thing :psyduck:

I have never had/heard of vodka sauce. It sounds like something someone made up as a joke.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I'm not against that in theory, but with that much mustard you wouldn't even taste the peanut butter.

Eponine posted:

Or canned asparagus.
I love canned asparagus. Not to eat like normal asparagus, but to use as an ingredient because it's all mushy and just breaks down and spreads its flavour throughout.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

El Estrago Bonito posted:

It's a thing that makes cheese sandwiches easier to make if you're lazy.

I literally cannot imagine how this is possible.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Thing, cheese, lazy, or sandwich?

How do you make it even easier to make a cheese sandwich when bread and cheese already come pre-sliced?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Efexeye posted:

"cheese food', which is how Kraft singles are labelled, isn't cheese.

It actually is though, by any reasonable definition.

quote:

Kraft singles do not qualify for the US FDA Pasteurized Processed Cheese labeling. For this reason Kraft labels them Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product to avoid FDA sanctions. They were calling Kraft Singles Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Food until the FDA gave them a warning in December of 2002 that the product could not be legally labeled as 'food' due to the inclusion of Milk Protein Concentrates. Kraft complied with the FDA order by changing the label to the current Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product. Kraft singles do however contain ingredients in common with cheddar cheese (pasteurized milk, cheese culture, salt, enzyme(s), annatto vegetable color)

So unless you're making the stupid and pedantic argument that this solid, edible substance is actually not food because the FDA says so, it's also dumb to argue that it's not cheese.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

zedprime posted:

Generic vs storebrand needs to be handled on a case vs case basis

Yep. Some things are the same, some things are different but you don't care, some things you want the consistently good quality of the name brand.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

When they say "clean", do they mean that kids eating that won't make a mess? Because they've got mango on that list, so I would dispute that.

cyberia posted:

code:
A friend’s school lunch had a rock in the peas, just to make sure we get all our minerals.
If those are peas, why are they brown?

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Also, time for some gluten-free vegan, courtesy of "A Gluten-Free Vegan Mom Who Knows: A raw, grain-free, corn-free, soy-free, oil-free, celiac mama raising her two healthy celiac girls."

quote:

1 Large Ripe Tomato (roughly chopped)
1/2 Cup Raw Cashews
1 Tablespoon Tomato Paste
1/4 Cup filtered water
1/4 Teaspoon Sea Salt
1/4 Teaspoon Cracked Pepper
1 Large Handful of Fresh Basil
Sounds fine? I mean, you could use tap water and table salt and notice no difference, and it would probably be nicer heated if not cooked, but otherwise... :shrug:

deadly_pudding posted:

What's your favorite lovely frozen food?
Well, if it has to be lovely frozen food, fish fingers. Put 'em in a sandwich with butter and mayonnaise. Delicious.

But the frozen foods I most often buy as a treat are party pies, chicken nuggets, or mini kievs. But those are all good, so they don't count.

chitoryu12 posted:

For lovely frozen food, I'm fond of the Boston Market Salisbury steak and mac & cheese.

That is an... interesting combination of foods.

Simply Simon posted:

I've read that often, and I gotta ask: is it really strange to many of you to eat a whole pizza?
I've often wondered this myself. To me, an 11" pizza is a reasonable dinner for one. I usually order a 13" pizza and that leaves a couple of slices for brunch the next day, but it wouldn't be some crazy feat to finish one off by yourself, especially if you ate it over the course of a few hours.

chitoryu12 posted:

You can reliably expect an entree with side(s) in most chain and franchise restaurants like Applebee's or Chili's to clock in at 700 or 800+ calories, with appetizers, drinks, and dessert taking up more.
In case anyone is confused, in America, "entree" means "main course". :eng101:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I just jumped to near the end (rather than reading through the entire thread) and there's someone worried about how to cook ordinary supermarket sausages and several people telling him to use a meat thermometer. :psyduck:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

A couple of my recent meals:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

It's poorly lit steak, or some other kind of beef-like meat, yeah. I mean, it could be venison or goat for all we know.

Kangaroo. I mostly just photographed it because I know PCOS Bill can't stand the sight of underdone meat, and then when the photo turned out so badly I had another reason to post it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Roro posted:

What does kangaroo taste like? Aldi has sold it in the past I think but I never tried it.

All the kangaroo I've eaten came from Macro Meats, and it varies a bit. It's mostly like really lean beef, but sometimes it tastes really gamey. Kangaroo sausages are incredibly dry and awful, but the mince works well in basically anything you'd put beef in. You can also get steaks, which are weirdly shaped and therefore difficult to cook, and fillets, which are better, and burgers, which are actually pretty great but take a surprisingly long time to cook. I don't think I've tried any of their other products, because they're still pretty niche and even the bigger supermarkets don't carry the full range.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

SwissDonkey posted:

Like 7 pages late but idgaf. I've said it before and I'll say it again:
gently caress off with your posting you mongoloidal autist. No one enjoys your posts. You think eating kangaroo makes you Australian. I wouldn't even feed that garbage to my dog. gently caress off into the bush and get eaten by a yowie.

Sincerely,
Every Ausgoon ever. gently caress you.

Ps. I see you're using coles brand dinosaur pasta. I feed that to my child. You're autistic.

You know there's an ignore function on these forums, right? Just a few clicks and you never have to see my posts again. Just a thought.

PS. The dinosaur-shaped pasta was the cheapest one for some reason. :shrug:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

I love it when food holds the shape of the tray it was just tipped out of

Same, unironically.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Well, yes, this is the right place to post it but no that's not alright at all- why is it purple, why is it purple- did you put toothpaste on your tortilla WHY IS IT PURPLE?!

Looks like beetroot dip.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

potato dumpling stuffed with smoked meat, cabbage

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

FFT posted:

Out of curiosity, what's the AFP Thread's opinion of fried egg on a burger?

It's a normal thing that tons of burger places do?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

You are in the wrong thread.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Plinkey posted:

I pity all of you with broken taste buds that somehow can't enjoy tomato soup with a grilled cheese sandwich on a lazy sunday while putting down a bloody mary with extra hot sauce and horseradish.

Tomato juice is nice, a bloody mary is great, but tomato soup is just terrible.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The Snoo posted:

I would enjoy all of those bloody marys with several kinds of fried animals in them, except I don't drink, so replace that with cold vegetable juice :getin:

What you want is a virgin mary. Way better than plain tomato juice.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

A completely normal thing for pizza to come with?

I don't know what garlic dip sauce is, but I'm pretty sure it's not a normal thing for pizza to come with.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

What are we looking at here? Lettuce in a bag?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

I can't believe this is something that actually occurred, but a judge ruled that a burrito is legally not a sandwich.

Long story short, a Panera tried to sue to keep a Qdoba from opening in the same plaza, citing a non-compete clause in their lease banning any other sandwich shops. Culinary experts were brought in, and the judge decided that a sandwich legally requires two pieces of bread with the filling between them. Anything made with a single tortilla wrapped around filling (like burritos, tacos, and quesadillas) is not a sandwich.

So....sandwich rules?

So you could open a shop that sold open-faced sandwiches and that would be fine because those sandwiches are not sandwiches. I think we can safely ignore this ruling as it's clearly insane.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Hey, if we're going to post comic strips here now we could keep the thread going for years on Mary Worth alone.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

cyberia posted:

The corn spears are pretty afp

What?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I know what they are, but why are they AFP?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

left_unattended posted:

Newest thing in KFC Thailand apparently.

Basically a fast-food parma?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Xen Tricks posted:

thought it was the weirdest drat thing that you Aussies all of a sudden discovered something that had been eaten where I live for, uh, idk like 100+ years? Bizarre thing to become a food fad all of a sudden.

Isn't that what pretty much all food fads are? Some completely normal food from one place sold in other places as an exotic delicacy?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

EoinCannon posted:

Australia is obsessed with American food in general at the moment.

It's terrible.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

cyberia posted:

Also meat pie flavour which they release every winter in Australia; they always taste like gravy but horribly fake and greasy
I have never seen or heard of these. Are they available now? I want to try them.

cyberia posted:

Also these abominations. They're sort of 'fancy' so there's always a bag of them on the table whenever you go to a party and I think they taste absolutely disgusting.

I don't mind them, but they're not as good as normal brands.

Speaking of snack food flavours, I tried some of those new "improved" barbecue Shapes recently, and I was really surprised by them, because they claim to have more flavour but actually seemed to have much less. I think because with the old style ones it was all one the outside (and only on one side of each biscuit) so you got it all in one place, so the new ones might have had more but it was spread all over (and through) them. It was weird though.

And the new flavour is crap too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Golden Goat posted:

So it accurately captures the taste of Memes then.

Spicy?