Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«4 »
Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

High Energy, Good Feeling!

I was in Plymouth England with the Navy, and we went to this nice little wood-fired pizza place on the water, get some delicious wood fired pizza, waitress delivers it, and my rear end in a top hat buddy asks if they have Ranch dressing to dip it in, the waitress spins on her heel and says: "WHAT? Oh my god NO, that's so American!"

That's my UK pizza story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Randaconda posted:

Hamhocks cooked with beans are one of my favorite meals from being a kid, back when hamhocks were straight poverty food.

My mom used to do this with Hamhocks or leftover ham bones, it yields a delicious savory soupy stew/stewy soup, the beans soak up all the pork flavor, and you get delicious little chunks of ultra tender pork from right off the bone, I live near her for the first time in a decade this year and had to beg her to make it because none of us in my family are poor anymore.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

AlbieQuirky posted:

Come to Boston, there are great doner/shawarma/gyros to be found at all price points. Also souvlaki, which is my favorite of the marinated grilled meats of the Mediterranean.

Ground lamb kebab is a different dish entirely from doner/shawarma/gyros. It’s called adana kebab in Turkish. Really good if you get it at a good place.

I grew up eating delicious Greek Gyros from the shops in Seattle, broiled lamb and beef mixed meat on a stick shaved into a pita, topped with beautiful fresh lettuce/tomato/onion, and fresh real yogurt-based tizitki with fresh dill and cucumber, and a crumbling of Feta cheese, best eaten as a hearty lunch, you use the pita to eat the whole thing as a taco.

The UK kebab is a different animal entirely, though nominally the same, giant slabs of grilled meat paste, slammed onto a poor pita that has no hope of containing it whatsoever, and serves to collect grease and sauce like a sponge, wilted lettuce and tomato are an afterthought, then the whole pile is coated with garlic mayo and hot sauce, best eaten at 1am after drinking the bar next door's entire stock of Glenlivet.

They're both delicious in their own way, and I love them because the Mediterranean spice mixture is music to my taste buds, and I will shovel as much of it down my fat meat hole as I can get my hands on.

A miscommunication at a Kebab shop once had me leave with 5 kebabs instead of one, fortunately I was able to pass the other 4 off to coworkers who had to stay late instead of getting piss drunk, total cost was like 18 pounds.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

This sounds similar to Pasta Puttanesca, which is loving delicious, remove the mayo and add capers and I'm down.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Every grocery store I ever went to had them when I lived in the US NE a year ago.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Who eats a loving eg like that? They just smashed the top off, there's like a 100% chance of getting shell in your egg that way.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

TofuDiva posted:

Only if you have time, but of the bazillion different versions of galumpkis online, do any of them look like they'd be close to the ones you remember?

Been searching for this for years. An old family friend of my parents' made them and they were amazing, but she pronounced it "gwumpkie" and so my searches through cookbooks years later were in vain.

"Gwumpkie" was a staple in my household growing up, my mom used to cook like 20lbs at a time and we'd eat it all week long, it was fantastic.

But not as good as the pierogi my (first generation Polish) Babci (grandma) used to make, fresh dough stuffed with fresh onion, and wonderfully spiced farmer's cheese, an entire different world from what you can get frozen. I tried to make them once, but I can see why it was relegated to large communities of Polish women making massive batches at a time, because it sucks to make, and the cleanup sucks 10x worse.

My mom was peak boomer, but she was a wonderful cook, she even branched out into things like chicken masala, had thai etc, I think it's a large reason why my dad married her, because he grew up poor as gently caress, and lived exclusively on boiled meat and vegetables, even later in life when his parents got a bit of money and could afford decent cuts of meat, they just boiled everything into oblivion.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

empty sea posted:

The best turkey I've ever had was cooked in a bag and that just doesn't seem healthy. There's no way I'm frying one even on my concrete patio, I've seen the videos of turkey fireballs.

It only takes a modicum of common sense to avoid this, all those videos you've seen are people who fill the fryer oil above the "holy gently caress don't fill above this line!" Line, which causes hot oil, displaced by the Turkey, to overflow into the fire, and/or the Turkey is soaking wet, and causes the oil to boil over, both are easy to avoid.

I like to bake my turkeys upside-down. So the juices freon the dark meat continually baste the breasts, then flip and finish in the broiler for perfect crispy skin.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

angerbeet posted:

This would probably taste fine but I think the uploader has audio mics in his kitchen going in all possible directions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nksbpdJwj4

It's like some SPAM hell ASMR

MmmMmMMMMmMmmMmMMMMMmMMm!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Apparently this fried chicken specifically tastes like THESE girls feet.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

redgubbinz posted:

I'm the platter of sliced plain cucumber and, uh, slightly differently sliced plain cucumber.

No bread please, spicy food makes me uncomfortable.

Never underestimate how picky some people are, I was eating before going on watch on a submarine with a dude who worked for me, it was taco Tuesday, and he refused to eat the chicken or any other filling because it was "too spicy" (it had a mild amount of black pepper and maybe some cumin), he got a piece of cornbread and asked for peanut butter, I handed him a jar of crunchy, he asked for smooth and was informed we were out.

He melted down into a screaming actual-adult-tears fit because he "had to go on watch hungry" because "there was nothing to eat"

He also had to be let home during the work day on a fairly regular basis because he had poo poo his pants, he was also a racist.

I loving hated working with that guy.

Oh yeah, he wouldn't eat that cuke either, 'cause it's a vegetable, and if he ever got a burger with "salad" he would have a hissy fit and yell and rage about it while stripping it off his burger.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The military nowadays doesn't really condone hazing or abuse, which is really unfortunate in this one particular case. It was bizarre, noone in senior leadership would censure him in any way, because dealing with a crying, pants-making GBS threads adult man is so uncomfortable, and requires so much emotional labor that they were unwilling to do it. He tried testing the waters on some racist bullshit that would've landed him in hot water, but I crushed his loving soul each time he tried so it always stayed in acceptable limits.

His favorite hobbies: vaping, and watching Anime in his rack, without headphones.

Sorry about the derail, content!

My only source of protein for a period on the boat:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

My dislike of sprouts comes from every time I had them as a kid, biting into one and having them pop like an eyeball in your mouth.

The mushiness and flavor weren't great either, but it's the explosion of gooey sprout juice in your mouth that really put me off

This is not how Brussels Sprouts work, or at least how they should.

E: Now I want to pick up some sprouts to roast, to go with the Turkey, kale, and lentil soup I made with my turkey Carcass, so I can loving annihilate the office tomorrow.

Elviscat has a new favorite as of 16:53 on Dec 12, 2019

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

rodbeard posted:

When my Grandpa passed away we all tried to choke down Genny Cream Ale in his honor at his memorial.

Genny cream ale is like, one odd three most drinkable beers ever, I would've slammed a 24 rack in your granddad's honor before thre ceremony even started.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I would crush pound after pound of these, they look great.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Eh, they're a test kitchen, I can live with it. Especially how on the rest of their programs they're generally really positive about reducing food waste.

You can see them eating stuff others have made in the background of a lot of the shows too. I get instinctively uneasy when I see food wasted, but the whole food has so much waste inherent in it (sometimes for necessary reasons) a few wasted steaks aren't even a drop in the bucket.

My GF works in food quality assurance, and has had to recall and destroy literal tons of food just because of minor labeling issues, condensation drips, preservative gas imbalances etc.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Put that on the "I would eat this exactly once" list.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I appreciate this level of devotion and follow through.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The Bloop posted:

PATENT PENDING

Please stop posting my patent pending pepperoni pizza producing procedures in PYF.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The Glumslinger posted:

Tapatio or gently caress off

If you're ever forced to live off lovely food, Tapatio is the answer. Worst case scenario you make everything you eat taste like Tapatio, and that's not half bad at $0.99 a liter.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Admiral Joeslop posted:

It's from a video game and so isn't real.

The full British breakfast and fish&chips are the only worthwhile culinary contributions from that Island.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Cheese and Jelly would be loving amazing with like an aged cheddar and a habanero jelly.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Lotsa uncultured peeps in that thread who have never had Shrimps, Campy. Don't even know the pleasure of wood-grilled shrimps. SMDH.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Great, now this thread is making its own, disgusting white ooze AFP.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Holy poo poo, I just saw the mayo jar in the background.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

no egg, no dairy, it's fine it'll keep

In 2017 I was cleaning the pantry onboard a ship, we found a half-empty 2-gallon tub of mayo, that had been sitting unrefrigerated, and featured an expiration date from two-thousand-loving-one, the look and smell was loving indescribable, it was intensely yellow.

The ship was commissioned in 2003, no one knows how that poo poo even got onboard. This fueled my hatred for the vile substance.

I wish I had taken pictures so I had actual content.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Mushika posted:

Surströmming? That's a good dog.

Surströmming is apparently really bad

This professional Swedish Surströmming eating expert has such glowing praise such as "you can get used to it" "it's not so bad" and "the smell from the can is foul, but the smell from the fish is not so bad."

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Alright, let's go make some poo poo mayo super challenge.

Ingredients:

In da bowl:
Emulsify that poo poo, my stand mixer only has dough hooks, and I hate making emulsions and meringues by hand, so I channel my father's spirit and make do.

Whiff da Cayenne:

Finished product, light yellowish and a bit runnier than normal mayo, it stiffened up to normal mayo, added 1/2tsp white vinegar to the tsp of apple cider to try and whiten it up, it's much better than store-bought mayo, and the acidity helps cut the fatty, buttery mayoness of it. Still gross-rear end mayo though:

Only fit for feeding cats.

Cat doesn't want dis.

BONUS ROUND: SAVE THE MAYO

1:
Add Gochujang and mustard:

Result:
Super Umami spicy mayo!

2:
Add cocktail sauce and mustard:

Result:
Pastry Mayo!

3:
Spread and broil:

4:
Pan cook:

5:
Enjoy chickencheese and small pastries:

Trip report: Gochujang mayo is awesome, insanely rich, spicy and delicious, a small amount will impart huge flavors to the mayo, my attempt at pastry mayo was much worse, cloying and too sweet and fatty and did not pair well with delicate shrimp meat, might be nice on a steak or something.

Cooked up the egg whites for the dogs.
Result:
Happy doggos.

Elviscat has a new favorite as of 04:01 on Jan 8, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Hmmm, a lot of that gets fermented away, right it's bacteria food? If not I'm making my own. First tub of Gochujang so I didn't even think to look, and the source covers up any sugar, so thanks for pointing that out.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

dreamin of semen posted:

okay, it's definitely not AFP, but since the thread is currently in maximum mayoverdrive, I feel the need to post the lamp that is illuminating my room

she needs a new label though, that one is nearly exactly 25 years old

kinda want to make some mayo now, mayo rules

Username/post combo.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

TheAardvark posted:

I am having serious issues parsing what you are saying here. You went up to tell them they were out of donut holes and they told you "don't speak, we know what you're saying and we don't need your reasons"?

I think they don't want to tell him 'cause it hurts.

It's hard to imagine the pain of No Doubt Holes.

E: hey look, there was another page.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Fartington Butts posted:

Oh No Potato: Enjoy your hot slop in a thin plastic cup.

No one said it was hot.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I didn't feel like storing my egg whites, so I just threw em in a pot and made a little doggy treat.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

LifeSunDeath posted:

same, I think having 3 different sauces is odd, but I'd be down with an inside out eggs benedict with bacon and cabbage.

4 sauces I counted, mayo before the cabbage, then Korean BBQ, Catsup, Mustard on top.

I want to eat that so incredibly badly.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I genuinely want to thank this thread for introducing me to Daym Drops.

As someone who's worked the industry, I generally ignore Yelp reviews bc I feel that it's always either the entitled-yet-slighted people leaving bad reviews, or shills leaving the 5 star ones. I've watched a bunch now, and the fact that he'll give a place the benefit of the doubt despite lovely Yelp reviews warms my cockles.

Also I'm still cackling like an idiot over "chicken thoughts"

edit: this one really makes my point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8nA7mVctAo

Yeah, my favorite breakfast place of all time is in CT, the Yolk Cafe, rotating specials, fantastic coffee, and a limited menu that's not afraid to have unique dishes, everything I've ever had from there is like heaven in the mouth, and you're seated around an open kitchen, so you know it's clean. Thing is, it gets dragged in the reviews because the two ladies that run the joint are kinda eccentric, they'll "squirt" ketchup and mustard at you (those fake streamer bottles, not real condiments obviously) once they shot me with a marshmallow gun, which I realize might be a bit off-putting, they also get dragged because their menu has 12ish amazing dishes instead of 50+ mediocre ones like every other diner in CT.

I'm a bigger dude, and coming off of duty one day I was pretty hungry since I had been running around since 3am, well I guess I absolutely housed my meal at this place in a notable way, 'cause when I got done the chef plopped a big 'ol plate of biscuits and gravy (special of the day, fresh baked biscuits with Chorizo sausage gravy, gently caress yeah) in front of me, saying "you still look hungry"

Place gets 4 stars, should have like 5 and a half.

I hate people. Here's the Google reviews for my local Arbys...... which is still under construction, 3.9 stars! Not bad for a chain fast food joint.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

GAAAAAAAHHH, gently caress!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

No thanks!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Disappointed when I found out those are two different pics, would eat warm hotdog sushi on a pizza.

Would not eat warm regular sushi on a pizza.

Would eat regular sushi with a side of pizza because I am a fatty American tho.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Zwille posted:

Somebody took that kiwi pizza to the next level.

https://twitter.com/Medienwandler/s...2197398529?s=20

"Pizza quattro atrocità" and he regrets he didn't do a Nutella crust

Do a Nutella crust and use Ricotta instead of Mozz and you've got a kickin rad gourmet dessert pizza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

LifeSunDeath posted:

i'm super into licking the outside of glasses at restaurants, surely they're cleaned as well as the inside.

If anything they should be cleaned better, since there's more surface area for hot water to flow over in the industrial dishwasher/sanitizer.

E: missed a few posts there.

E2:

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I have and it's good, but California is the land of amazing Mexican and Asian food and being defined by a "lol those millennials" meme is pretty dumb

But it's a listicle on foodnetwork so I don't know why I really care

I think it has to be a dish that was developed locally, so most other culture's cuisine is out, unless it has significant local flair.

I.E. Seattle could claim Teriyaki as a local specialty, since the local version is a fast-food staple that diverges from the original dish enough to be a local staple, but could not claim Sushi.

Elviscat has a new favorite as of 02:47 on Jan 30, 2020

«4 »