Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking

deadly_pudding posted:

While we're on the topic of Canadian foods:
How do you guys feel about fanciful variations on poutine? There's a pub here called Tap & Mallet that has like a curry flavored poutine on their menu that I thought was pretty alright. It could have stood to be spicier, in my opinion.

I guess I'm wondering, how much do Canadians care about poutine sanctity. Are there poutine rules?

I made a sweet potato fry poutine recently where the sauce was ratatouille instead of gravy. Still used cheese curds but I would deffo still consider it poutine. I have a picture of it at home that would fit right into this thread too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking

deadly_pudding posted:

Poutine rules :ohdear:

For the record, ratatouille poutine sounds pretty good, but also it sounds like that might just be ratatouille with potatoes stirred into it after.

One of the staples of Quebec poutine is the so-called Poutine Italienne, in which the gravy is replaced with a bolognese sauce. If this can still be considered poutine by its genitors, surely a ratatouille based poutine can't be that far off. We can call it mediterranean poutine!

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking

fleshy echidna posted:

Holy poo poo how much foie gras can one person eat?

How about a foie gras cake? This was the appetizer (!) at the Pied de Cochon's sugar shack this year, and I foolishly ate 3/4 of it before losing my appetite and consuming paltry quantities of the subsequent 8 courses.

Still would again.

FYI the stuff dripping from it is maple butter, the green is pistachio cake and the red is some sort of terrine.

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking

VendaGoat posted:

Do not dare besmirch the good name of Bloody Ceasar.

FTFY

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking

TontoCorazon posted:

Nope, people loving love clamato.

Can confirm. Have friend that drinks it straight up.

Also, Canadian here jealous of the M & M selection available outside my country. Birthday Cake? For real? I would buy a barrel.

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking

ChickenWing posted:

this offends and astounds me in equal measure

I am refreshed by the effort and sense of whimsy that characterizes this dish. Would have been super stoked to get such a cool plate as a kid.

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking

Random Stranger posted:

I wish I had taken a picture of this one.

As a bit of set up, my mother is about as terrible of cook as you can get. She's vaguely aware of the concept of cooking, but approaches in a cargo cult fashion. She seems to think that if she just shoves things that vaguely resemble the food she wants to make together that it'll result in something good.

She also has a garden. And like most gardens it produces way more vegetables than a person can actually eat since you don't want to have zucchini four days a week. And she doesn't understand that you have to pick vegetables when you are going to use them so she inevitably picks them and lets them rot on her table.

So last night she decided to make dinner. And she wanted to use some of her bumper crop of cucumbers. So what she did was peel and slice up a few cucumbers, put them in a bowl, and then dumped white vinegar on them.

I did not make that up.

As terrible as that sounds, it's not too far off from a real thing. I think the real dish involves adding sugar though, which doesn't make it sound that much more appetizing, granted.

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking

bunnyofdoom posted:

Don't care how it looks. Go to a good deli and get Montreal smoked meat

Schwartz's or GTFO.

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking

ChickenWing posted:

I've been told that Dunn's is better

Either you were lied to, or the person who told you that has terrible taste.

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking

Julias posted:

Not everyone likes onions on their pizza :shrug:

But for those of you that do:

Caramelized Onion and Goat Cheese Pizza

Self described as "A labor of love."

Wrong thread, would, etc.

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking

More like good morning heartburn...

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking

sweeperbravo posted:

That kind of makes sense though, most frozen food is intended for microwave/toaster use IME. Like there's always the drawn out instructions for if you HAVE to make it in an oven or on the stove but they tend to be more elaborate than just "put in microwave heat for 20 sec eat alone"

Eh, I've been without a toaster for a while now, and an oven can do the job just as well. I suppose its a waste of electricity for just one slice of toast, but crank that sucker to max, preheat it for 5 minutes and toast away!

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking

The Snoo posted:

We don't have a lot of dishes (and almost all of my bad food photography takes place in one flat bowl) but why do I see so many people eating out of paper bowls and paper plates in their homes???? I'll admit that I let dishes sit in the sink for a few hours or overnight if I'm lazy, and to be fair I developed severe hand eczema from washing dishes in the past few months, but they're not an insurmountable task that makes me want to buy disposable stuff. Buy a drat plate

Maybe wear gloves to do the dishes? Bonus is that you can set the water hotter than you normally do for extra clean dishes!

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Ugh, this has happened to me. I was out in the back yard, heard a BANG, and came in to find my casserole had exploded. This was almost five years ago and I still find little bits of glass under the stove sometimes.

Had this happen too. Thermal shock is a bitch. Don't pour cold water into a pyrex that has been in the oven for a while then put it back in the oven.

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm loving furious. My hat's off to Meatloaf Princess.

I'm partial to using beer in my stews, which i haven't gotten to do in a while because the girlfriend hates the taste of beer. Depending on the spices and such that you use, I like either Honey Brown, which is kind of sweet and bread-tasting, but also very local to upstate NY, or just straight-up Guiness if I'm wanting a bit more of an intense flavor.

I haven't tried it with craft beer, but I'm not sure if anything hopsy or floral would stew particularly well without just kind of tasting like I overbrewed some tea and dunked some beef into it.

For the love of all that is holy, don't cook with hoppy beer. It concentrates the bitterness and ruins the whole dish.

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking

blueberry chicken with couscous?

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking

baw posted:

I dunno what it is tbqh. They get a lot of flavor and texture out of even a very thin pizza crust, even a simple margherita which basically comes down to three ingredients. Ingredient quality probably has a lot to do with it but I think there is also technique both with forming and cooking. The places I went to in the US were in or near Chicago (this was the "fancy" one where a friend and I split a $16 shot of grappa so that he could see how we drink coffee where I live) seemed like maybe they slopped on too much cheese or maybe the dough wasn't cooked properly but the texture was just weird and the flavors were less vibrant, like everything had a coating of grease that dulled the rest of the ingredients. Plus the other nicer pizzeria I went to put shredded fresh basil on a margherita :wtc:

The picture isn't great but here is an example of a pizza we get on pizza night (I put balsamic glaze on mine)

Since when is basil not supposed to be on a margherita?

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking

Prairie oyster on a placenta bed?

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking

Cakefarts Carol posted:

"Broh" is the worst part of that picture imo

I think the worst part of that picture is that he appears to have sat his frankenchickenbear straight on the dirty ground. So unsanitary!

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking

left_unattended posted:

Adriano Zumbo (Australian pastry chef) is known for using really weird ingredients in his desserts, especially his macarons. I remember one episode of his show where he made used burgers for one lot and tried to track down pigs blood for another - don't remember if he succeeded.

so how exactly have these burgers been used?

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking

few things in the tread have managed to fill me with such a strong existensial dread

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking

if only humanity was as good at fixing its own problems as finding new and innovative ways to give people diabetes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking

BattyKiara posted:

No pictures, but a story from my Granny. She grew up poor. But when she had a big day, her mother decided to cook her a special, celebratory meal. But meat was hard to come by, everything still being rationed. So what to do? Hedgehog stew! Obvious, right? Granny still remembered that meal when she was 60.

Gotta cook fast!