Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Xen Tricks posted:

The great depression, a large push by food companies to present canned and preserved foods as a luxury status symbol, and the general homogenezation of a diverse set of food culture sources into one national identity through the aforementioned post war commoditized lens, roughly in that order

So, white people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

My mom loves to use meatloaf like playdoh to make weird AFP dinners. So I can say from experience that these came out of the oven as eldritch horrors.

(Do you have those pictures please?)

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

SmokaDustbowl posted:

You look at your plate and your chicken's slowly rottin Into something that looks like cheese. So you say "That's it, I gotta leave this place! I don't care what these people think. I'm just sittin here makin myself nauseous with this ugly food that stinks"

I understand this reference :golfclap:

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

See, I have the genetic thing where cilantro tastes like soap. Luckily, I'm the kind of rear end in a top hat who orders malört on purpose, so I love it.

Speaking of how gross I am: facebook recommended me this based on my viewing history http://www.iwashyoudry.com/2014/08/20/monkey-meat/?m

It appears to be called Monkey Meat. Based on the comments (which you should at least skim), it can be any kind of processed pork chopped together with pickles, mayo, sometimes herbs or veg, and cheese (more often than makes sense).

Still would. I am currently eating toast with mayo, sauerkraut, capers, and hot sauce.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

I think the thing that a lot of people hate about uni is how sweet it is. It's like a sweet mousse, but very fishy, with a nice wash of ocean brine over the top. It can be disconcerting.

If you think you might like it but are on the fence, I highly recommend it from an ocean-fronting fish market, straight out of the medieval weapon husk. Restaurants and sushi places often don't sell enough to keep it super fresh.

This counts as content in that what I think is delicious is often controversial and my taste can be frankly disgusting.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Labes for days posted:

I had no idea skirt steak was considered organ meat, huh. I'd like to try tongue at some point, but heart just seems a little too "organ" for my tastes.

I did try haggis once and it was hideous.
Yeah I didn't know that about skirt either! That's neat.
I am a lover of all organ meats- brains! Livers! Kidneys! Sweetbreads!- but heart is actually my favorite. Since it's all muscle, it just tastes more meaty than meat. I think you'd be into it.
But, shamefully, the only organs I don't like are tongue and tripe. It's a texture thing. Something about the structure of lengua reminds me uncomfortably of my own tongue, which is engaged in tearing up this other animal's tongue. It's just yucky for some reason.

Also, organs reminded me, we had veal sweetbreads on the menu at a restaurant I worked at. One lady saw a plate of focaccia go to a nearby table and asked if that was the veal sweetbread, and if so, how did we get the veal in the bread?

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

EAT HUMAN FLESH, ELISE

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Some people who are no longer my friends made this. Flavorless vodka jello fish with embedded pizza Lunchables.

It was bad.

(Not me, I did not eat it. If I were still drinking I might have.)

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Zil posted:

That...that certainly fits in this thread. What was the inspiration behind it's creation?

They are garbage people, with garbage ideas.

(They really are my friends and I like them a lot, but they are totally trashy.)

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

They had the perfect food in their hands, right there, dripping brine down their wrists, and then they put loving ketchup on it.

Also re: NYC tap water chat, it really is different. It’s one of the very few good things about the place. Someone mentioned that parts of the system upstate are made of wood; afaik, it’s actually cedar, and originates very high in the mountains. The difference with the bagels, though, is using lye (instead of baking soda) to boil them, and the reuse of the bagel water until it’s a gorgeous thick starchy soup (DO NOT EAT CONTAINS LYE)

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

It’s incredible. I truly love it. And I acknowledge that, objectively, it tastes really bad. My palate tends toward bitter and acidic, and I’m like a caricature of a Chicagoan, so it just tastes like home to me. Goes great with hand rolled cigarettes and getting in shouting matches with strangers.

When I was a server I would buy shots of it for my tables if they’d never had it before, and it brought me so much joy to watch their faces as they got to the aftertaste. I’d always tell them not to smell it first.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

My dad and his twin brother used to do this in the 60s and 70s! But they didn’t have an electrocutor. They stripped the cord from the toaster and stuck the wires in either end of the hot dog. Yes, they were latchkey kids, how did you know?

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Randaconda posted:

probably would

Those scrambled eggs in the second picture are so drat pale I’m still not even sure they’re scrambled eggs.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Small pastries on large pastry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

Are they dying out, or are they just being consumed by amalgamated meat+produce+dry goods+pharmacy grocery stores?

Por que no los dos? (Tried to do google translate but they don’t have Austrian dialect, this post would be funnier otherwise)