Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
this may have been posted before, but anyway, this twitter account is a good fit for this thread.

https://twitter.com/70s_party/status/950077289601040384

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

tell us what it smells like.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

That is a really unappealing thought.

E: oh my God, you could choke! I want to call her mom and tell on her!

good sweet Christ...

http://1063thebuzz.com/woman-eats-not-just-one-but-two-72-ounce-steaks-breaks-record-at-the-big-texan/

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
chili over tamales, eh. might have to try that.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the cartoon mascot is an anthropomorphic tiger who is shrugging his shoulders.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
mmmmmmm, lymph.:munch:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
black garlic is a thing, why not black potato? culinary brane genious.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I eat hot dogs completely plain after impaling them on a small antique knife that I carry for this specific purpose. I chase each bite with a shot of Lea & Perrins ® Worcestershire Sauce.

dogdagger

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
heart and tongue are just muscle though. eating organs kind of puts me off, but I couldn't really say why. I once read an article about cooking with offal and the text describing the smell of the pancreas the person was eating upset me in a quite uhhhhhh visceral way.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

you mother fucker!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
plus head cheese is kinda funky looking.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

little shudder ran down my spine as I imagine biting into that thing, the initial confusion as to the strange texture, the sudden realization...

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
worcestershire is good for dousing french fries. or a bowl full of those fried onions that are meant as a salad topping. drown em in Worcestershire and hot sauce and then eat with a spoon.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
there's this tiny island town in Wisconsin that is the world's number one consumer of angostura bitters because it has somehow become a tradition for people there to knock back full shots of the stuff.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/washington-island-wisconsin-bitters-shots

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

puppets freak me out posted:

This thread rules when people talk about what they like.

A decade ago a Salvadorean friend of mine introduced me to eating mangos with chili lime salt. I still think a perfectly ripe mango covered in just enough of that stuff is objectively the most perfect bite of food there is, but most of my friends think it's the craziest thing.

these days you can just walk into a basic rear end grocery store and get that stuff. muy bueno.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
purple bag Takis best Takis. they're real good trash food.

that Weird Food Habits part of the thread made me think of the solid curry mix blocks I've got in my pantry, made me consider for a moment just taking a bite out of it like a chocolate bar. I didn't do it. but I'm still thinking about it.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
want to see the list of ingredients for that stew.

hmm

Wikipedia posted:

Catfish stew is a dish commonly found in the Southern United States,[1] particularly in South Carolina. It typically consists of catfish fillets (taken from the sides of the fish as the belly meat is considered to be of poor quality) which are heavily boiled so that they fall apart, and is then combined with crushed tomatoes,[2] potatoes,[2] and onions.[2] Occasionally the tomatoes may be omitted for "white catfish stew", and milk may be added for this style,[2] though this variety is somewhat uncommon. Hot sauce or Tabasco sauce is often added as well.

I'd try it. not gonna win any beauty contests though.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

TotalLossBrain posted:

How's this for AFP, a Gorgonzola I recently made at home:

The outside mold is mostly penicillium roqueforti (blue) and a bit of unintended penicillium candidum (white) which must have got transferred from the Bries in the fridge.
It gets scraped every now and then during the aging process. Doesn't look like it's edible, but it ended up absolutely fantastic:

these are blessed images. ugly on the outside, beautiful on the inside of mah belly.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
a band I like just put out a new music video with some Content appropriate for this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sM49BfJnYI

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
what is it with japan and their corn/mayo obsession, stop it you guys.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Development posted:

what I got:

*sad trombone*

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
topo chico rules, san pellegrino rules, la croix rules, kroger brand seltzer rules. don't @ me. it is correct that lemon/lime are the top tier flavors though. some of the weirder la croix flavors are highly repellent.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

"wet bread" is a combo that looks as nasty as it sounds.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

I've always wondered, like, from an evolutionary standpoint, who/why/how any human figured out to eat such weird poo poo. I mean, Natto is half rotten soybeans. What kind of a drunk frat party centuries ago had to happen for people to eat this stuff? Add to Natto the wormy cheese, infected corn kernels, lutefisk, Kiviak, all sorts of mostly decayed crap that took somebody, somewhere huge stones to eat in the first place. I'm just in awe. That said, I love the rind on Brie strictly for the ammonia overtones. I guess I'm just as bad.

desperation, I assume. being constantly on the verge of starvation is a fine motivation for culinary adventurism. food that's gone bad looks good when it's the only food you've got.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Yawgmoth posted:

I am legally obligated to post this for Waffle House Chat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz1cfwFmv1w

lol

"I've seen a gun 5 times in my life. 3 of those were at Waffle House."

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

spankmeister posted:

You Americans and your fast food tribalism. :allears:

in my home town there was a street with an IHOP and a Waffle House on either side of it. I always imagined that late at night drunken mobs would emerge from their respective restaurants to do battle in the street with weaponry scavenged from the dining rooms and kitchens.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/miblogestublog/status/989278608756703233

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Tiggum posted:

Lot of people in this thread who apparently never heard of meat spread? The only problem with it is that you can't store it once it's been opened. Turn your back on it for five minutes and it's mouldy. A lot of products say "consume within three days of opening" but in this case they really mean it.

I'm American and I've heard of it, it just comes in smaller containers, cans like the size that you could conceivably consume in a sitting.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
it's just a weird looking mushroom. eat the mushroom. eat it.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Synthbuttrange posted:

ha. HA I say to you who think corn mushroom is the worst. You've not had the worst mushroom til your mom forces you to have a chinese herbal soup topped with cordyceps infected caterpillars.

MMMM NUMMY NUMMY

now that's the stuff.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Samizdata posted:

Would, if it is not crappy chorizo.

no one wants to know how the chorizo gets made.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Vilas Kraut posted:

Chester Cheeto, you have some explaining to do

brb overcome by the sudden horrifying realization that cheeto dust is infectious parasitic fungus spores.

The Last of Us where all the zombies have bright red stained fingers.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/CDCgov/status/992501646700765184

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

KataraniSword posted:

A1 is good on mashed potatoes. Or steak fries. I've never understood people who insist on having it on/with their steak.

yeah, taters are the only thing I've ever found to be a good target for that stuff.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
serve the atkins guy a bag of jerky on a plate.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
think old timey dry goods store situation. everything is in a barrel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Iron Crowned posted:

One thing most people don't know is that the modern "self-service" grocery store is about 100 years old. Prior to what we have now you'd give the grocer a list and they'd go pick it for you.

where I shop now they're really really pushing hard their system where you place the order online, they grab it all and then you go park in a special spot and they just load it into your car. history rhymes.

me, I like browsing and buying all kinds of poo poo I didn't actually intend to get.