Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Grape Soda posted:

From a local Mexican fast food restaurant:

I would eat that so hard if it were on a corn tortilla.

I love cheeseburger pizza also.

NO RULES NO MASTERS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

FFT posted:

gluten is a useful thing, y'know, if you need the corn flavor just get some loose corn tossed in your burrito

Corn tortilla best quesadilla tortilla.

Gluten is wonderful, but it is my personal enemy.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Un chien andalou posted:

Schwartz's or GTFO.

Snowdon is good, too. But Schwartz, yeah.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

If drinking soda for breakfast is wrong, I don't want to be right.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Trillian posted:

To be fair, if you want something vegetarian you have to ask. Tons of restaurant vegetable dishes use chicken stock or other meat flavourings.

My vegetarian cousin was recently astonished to learn that tofu pad thai is not a vegetarian dish, because how is that possible when it has tofu instead of meat?!

Most places will make it without the fish sauce if you ask, though.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

I have had absolutely fantastic kebabs in places like Twentynine Palms, California and Olean, New York. Not even talking about New York and LA and Chicago and Boston and San Francisco (though the best kebabs are in Fremont tbh).

People who can't get a good kebab in the US either live in a rural hellhole or aren't looking.

Doner/kebab/gyros white sauce is properly yogurt (or a yogurt/sour cream mix) with garlic and spices. Look up cacik or tzatziki recipes.

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 03:08 on Oct 5, 2016

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

A lot of Greek places have gyros fries, though those usually have feta or mizrathi cheese rather than cheddar.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

Plus unlimited wine. That's a new one

It's to kill the botulism in the closeout canned beans and the God knows what in the discount fish.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Despite the relatively unhorrifying photo, I think this restaurant review belongs here.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Those don't look good even by the standards of gluten free pizza crust. And it's true that even the best gluten free pizza crusts* don't compare to actual pizza crust; gf is always going to come out more cracker-like than the wonderful stretch of a good pizza crust with wheat in.

*Risotteria in New York, in case anyone wants to know

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

I used to cut up a slice of pizza and mix it into my salad at the dining hall in college, which I called pizza salad. Usually when extremely hungover or high but trying to be healthy :downs: They were like extra delicious croutons.

There is a terrible "healthy eating" blogger called KERF (Kath Eats Real Food) who is always putting leftovers "atop" (one of her favorite words) her salads. Pizza happens pretty frequently, as do things like mac and cheese, but the all-time worst was the time she put an apple fritter "atop" her salad.

She also puts things atop her oatmeal, from nut butters that look like poo to crumbled-up pastry.

This is not a food fad, but the extension of a food fad to an adjacent realm: a brand of cleaning products I use has "limited-edition holiday scents" version. There's pine, peppermint, gingerbread, and pumpkin spice. Why?!?

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 07:45 on Nov 22, 2016

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Tequila and San Pellegrino grapefruit soda is a great drink for every occasion.

I'm having Down East winter special cider, though. With pumpkin pie.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I'm not sure about "great", but it is probably pretty good. I always think it's odd how asian street food is considered to be something to be sought out, whereas if I saw a street food vendor in the US I would look at it like the rat burger vendor in Demolition Man.

Taco truck? Halal chicken and rice? Hot pretzels? Roasted chestnuts (or other nuts)? Grilled cheese? Big Gay Ice Cream?

US street food is awesome and, at least in Boston/NY/SF/LA/DC, the city inspects the hell out of the trucks.

I'm :corsair: and have never once gotten food poisoning from street food in the US, though I've gotten it from white-tablecloth restaurants.

You are missing out, my friend.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

An 1890s style martini with one part gin to one part vermouth is actually very good with a good vermouth (not Martini and Rossi, despite the name).

A 1950s style martini with six parts gin to one part vermouth is also good, and it's not as important to have a really good vermouth.

Gin with a vermouth wash is also good, and if that's your idea of a perfect martini, enjoy that. It's delicious. No rules.

But definitely try the older versions at least once, just to get a sense of the evolution of the cocktail over 120+ years.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

thecluckmeme posted:

What's a good vermouth? I generally only have access to Martini Dry/Sweet

Noilly Prat is a big step up from Martini and Rossi. Dolin is an excellent vermouth. There are some really interesting small-batch vermouths out there that are probably only available locally to the distillers, but a fancy liquor store would carry.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Bert Roberge posted:

A new Johnny Rockets creation:

I would eat three bites of this with enjoyment, then be up all night with gastric reflux. Tater tots are one of my weaknesses.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Lobster macaroni and cheese was a big thing in Boston-area restaurants a few years ago, and I was sad not to be able to try it (demon gluten). It looked and smelled fantastic whenever anyone I was with ordered it.

Also, tuna noodle casserole is awesome, even if it would make Marcella Hazan spin in her grave.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

The people at Ethiopian and Eritrean restaurants will bring you a fork if you ask. Sometimes that's easier for me if my arthritis is bad, and they never seem to mind or give me a funny look.

Zilzil tibsy and doro wat would be high up on my "last meal" choices.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

There is a great book about the rise of that weird-rear end "fancy" cooking in the early 20th century US called Perfection Salad by Laura Shapiro.

Her research suggests that what everyone has already said about the increased popularity of processed foods like Jell-O and the wanting to show off your refrigerator are spot on, but three other factors are the switch from Germany to France as a cultural touchstone after World War I (19th century French cookbooks were all about the aspic), the rise of "home economics" as an academic and corporate discipline (easier to justify your salary for making an elaborate gelatin concoction than something simple), and the increased free time for middle-class housewives as things like washing clothes were increasingly automated.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

¿Por qué no los dos?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Cakefarts Carol posted:

midwesternamerica.txt

One of yours, I think. We don't spell it "flavour".

midwesterncanada.txt?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Fo3 posted:

I've never bought it as pre-prepared or frozen meal either, but every time I make a ragu/spag bolognese or mince meat chili, then the left overs are apparently called "sloppy joes".
As an aussie I had no idea of the name, but I always eat the left overs in toasted sandwiches, so I've been eating sloppy joes for a while.
I have memories of the TV show "roseanne" with their 'loose meat sandwich' restaurant though, which I imagine was the same thing :v:

Sloppy Joes, strictly speaking, are a distinct thing with a sauce that has a different flavor profile than either bolognese or chili. The key flavor elements are brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce.

They were created in the US in the 1930s, so pretty sure they weren't inspired in any way by keema pav (which is loving delicious, whereas Sloppy Joes are overly sweet and viscous).

Loose meat sandwiches (also called tavern sandwiches) are another thing entirely. They're ground beef sautéed with onions with a dash of Worcestershire sauce. Very different texture from the sauce-heavy Sloppy Joe.

:colbert:

One of the dubious benefits of editing cookbooks is that you learn all about foods you dislike, as well as foods you like.

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 17:02 on Dec 28, 2016

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

My god no
No
Sweet hummus is terrible

(I ascribe to hummus rules of chickpea and tahina. If it aint at least that it aint hummus its just chickpea dip.)

Three or four years ago, there was a recipe for "chocolate chip cookie dough hummus" that swept the world of terrible food bloggers. Looked bad, Todd. Sounded worse.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

I have had that tortilla lasagna, or lasagna-style enchiladas, whatever you want to call it, and it was pretty good.

But then while typing the word enchilada, I thought of the blue corn enchiladas mole at Maria's in Santa Fe, and now the thought of Old El Paso Taco Bake is like ashes in my mouth. Ashes.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Tony Bologna posted:

Counter-argument: I disagree and really like cilantro. Ergo, you're a prick.

That looks like decent falafel, though the grease stains on the bag are a bit disturbing.

Hey, everyone, speaking of food fads, there are now 3 poke shops within 2 miles of my house! Pokeworks, Poke Mama, and I forget the other one but it had a pineapple on the door. Poke Cafe, maybe?

I will of course patronize whichever one(s) serve loco moco.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Throatwarbler posted:

A falafel is a deep fried ball of chickpeas. There's going to be some grease. :confused:

That's way more grease than any of the places I go to generate. Now I want falafel, even though it's 1 a.m. and I should have been asleep hours ago. :sigh:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

That's a Couche-Tard, so it might be cheating.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

SLOSifl posted:

Probably not but doesn't that apply to almost everything? I don't think you have to find a way to eat it in one bite but I haven't been to Canada in a few years.

I can usually eat a hamburger by holding it in my hands and biting into it with my mouth. I don't think anyone except a boa constrictor could do that with this thing.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

I had to look up Lamingtons because I had forgotten what they were (would) but then came across this :ohdear:

Please tell me that ad above is for Lamington gelato and Vegemite gelato sold separately. Lie to me if you have to,

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

I have the worst stomach virus right now and have been living on chicken broth, yogurt, crackers, and bread for a couple of days. That photo of the terrible McDonald's burgs literally made my mouth water. gently caress you, lizard brain, I couldn't eat that even if I wanted to!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

That looks like a delicious burger/calzone* hybrid. Would if I could.

*stromboli in some locations

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

p-hop posted:

Oh man, I just had an idea. Some kind of dense bar like pumpkin or banana with maple glaze and crumbled bacon/peanuts on top. Probably 1/4 bacon 3/4 peanuts. That's not AFP at all though.

I saw this in the store the other day

the picture does not do justice to the shade of green that this guacamole "style" dip is. It's the exact color of a pistachio pudding box. Or the green part of an Andes mint.

Also there are tons of little air bubbles in it. Whipped Guacamole 👌 Style 👌 Dip. The jar was the size of one avocado, and the price of 3 avocados. Why would you do this to yourself?

Creamy avocado salsa is a great thing that you can get all over Mexico and also in really good taquerias here in :patriot: .

Ortega just called it the wrong thing, and also probably it isn't good because Ortega is not good, but I would buy the hell out of that if a decent company like La Preferida made one.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Coke is a common ingredient in carnitas, no?

¡No!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

I love that someone made a PowerPoint deck to prove that Olive Garden loving sucks.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

You can't just not post a picture.

How many calories in that? 3,000?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Jmcrofts posted:

If it truly has a jar of peanut butter and a jar of jelly, it's probably at least double that

You are right. 12 oz jar of Jif has 1900 calories. 1 pound of bacon has 2100 calories. 10 ounce jar of grape jelly has 650 calories. Loaf of bread, 800 calories, though they scoop out the middle, so let's say 500 calories.

Jesus wept.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Vitamins posted:

They're pretty common here in the UK. They're sold along with regular biscuits now where a few years ago you generally had to get them from specific American shops or displays. They don't taste anything like Hershey's chocolate, just regular very sweet chocolate flavoured biscuits.

I received some Hershey kisses as a gift from an American friend and when I handed them out to a bunch of British people they all said it had an aftertaste of vomit and I agreed. Why people think that's a good thing I have no idea. :v:

It's the butyric acid, which is added to get a consistent taste regardless of the freshness of the milk.

The cookie part of Oreos is made with regular cocoa powder, not with pre made chocolate, and doesn't have butyric acid in it.

A lot of people in the US don't like Hershey's, either. Nestle Crunch was my cheap chocolate bar of choice when I was a kid.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Oh, I wasn't trying to say that it was AFP just asking if it's pizza :unsmith:

For some actual content, have some Mølje:

It's eaten around noon on christmas with family (and probably beer). It's basically just flatbread soaked in pork stock and fat, seasoned with salt and pepper. The one in the picture is kinda dry, but you can guess the consistency.

That's a bad (and trayf) version of matzoh brei IMO.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Megabound posted:

How does America deal with having poo poo coffee from every single establishment? I'm dreading visiting because I'm sure no one will know what a latte is.

You can get a latte in East Buttfuck. Lattes are ubiquitous here.

If you specifically want Australian-style coffee, there are Australian coffee places in New York and LA. If you come next year, there will be Australian coffee places in Boston and San Francisco almost certainly by then. If you come the year after that, they will be in several more cities.

The best coffee is Italian, in any case, so go to an Italian coffee shop.

Also, judging US or Canadian coffee by McDonald's or Tim Horton's is like judging Australian coffee by, I don't know, Pie Face. We have actual coffee places in North America.

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 06:48 on Feb 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Ranter posted:

"Australian Coffee" isn't a thing. Its just well made espresso drinks with the addition to the menu of the Aussie 'flat white' which even Starbucks do now.

Then your countryman should be fine, yes? Good, we're all set/right. :australia: :911: