Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I love how the person "eating" it is paralysed in horror by the sight before them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Looks like some great teen-age "eats" there!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

twoday posted:

According to the rules proposed by the Associazione Vera Pizza Napoletana, the genuine Neapolitan pizza dough consists of wheat flour (type 0 or 00, or a mixture of both), natural Neapolitan yeast or brewer's yeast, salt and water. For proper results, strong flour with high protein content (as used for bread-making rather than cakes) must be used. The dough must be kneaded by hand or with a low-speed mixer. After the rising process, the dough must be formed by hand without the help of a rolling pin or other machine, and may be no more than 3 millimeters (0.12 in) thick. The pizza must be baked for 60–90 seconds in a 485 °C (905 °F) stone oven with an oak-wood fire. When cooked, it should be soft, elastic, tender and fragrant.

I choose to believe that Neapolitan pizza is when you make three different pizzas and bake them all on top of each other.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bubblyblubber posted:

nah son, that's just a pizza cake

Augh...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gamerofthegame posted:

it's like two steps away from lasagna

kinda

I'm not super fond of lasagna for the same reason, I get sick after eating much of it.

E: ^^^ "Medium Rare"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Original content time:

Points if you can guess what it is.

I did eat the other one.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I will say you are starting waaaaaaay too high class.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's half a brioche roll fried in residual beef fat and canola oil because everyone else was having steak.

Welcome to Britain.

(I mean the taking a chunk of bread and frying it part, at least)

I also enjoy that the wikipedia article for the subject starts with "The examples and perspective in this article deal primarily with the United Kingdom and do not represent a worldwide view of the subject." and has since 2014.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 01:33 on May 19, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Stew and dumplings looks fine as does weird tectonic meringue.

Not so keen on literal poo poo with sugar on though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

sweeperbravo posted:

poo poo I can't stop laughing at this one

That is supposed to be a meringue isn't it? I remember making pavlova once and it kind of did that. Didn't care because I just mashed up the meringue and dumped a bunch of stuff on it and ate it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

It is supposed to be a cake in the shape of a soccer ball.

Oh.

That's unfortunate.

Probably still would though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Why are the onions raw :/

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

Raw red onions are wonderful.

The only thing red onions are for is chutney.

And hot dogs should have them fried :/

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Y'all don't line your ovens?

Saves a lot of faff getting the baked on crap off.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

My wife was temporarily storing a deep fryer, with oil, under the sink until we found another place for it. A mouse somehow got under the lid, and committed suicide in the oil. Wife, getting ready to make some tempura, pre-heated the oil and consequently found the mouse bubbling away after a few minutes, and completely freaked the gently caress out. It smelled awful, and she made me get rid of the whole mess, fryer and all. I buried it in the backyard. We didn't eat fried food again for a very long time.

You realise someone's going to dig that up in 1000 years and put it in the novo-brythonic museum under the heading "Ancient American Burial Rituals"?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Looks kind of like if you had a cookie but didn't let it cool before eating it.

Though it also kind of looks like the cookie has diarrhoea.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

noether posted:

the traditional first meal served to trans women after a successful vaginoplasty

It has a certain elegance to it, the hot dog is made of labias and also shaped like one.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

left_unattended posted:

The idea of a blender that costs more than $100 US and breaks that easily is blowing my mind. That's a crazy amount of money to be spending on a commercial blender. For that price I'd want it to blow me, too.

Well, I mean, you can probably make a drilldo attachment for the mixer head if you really want to.

Or glue a fleshlight onto it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean, I'd be sick afterwards, but I would probably try it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Split side hog dot is objectively the best got doh.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 20:42 on Jun 4, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ceciltron posted:

Goddamnit guys it's not Rose it's Rosé. Rose is a flower. Rosé (pinked) is the wine. You're killin me here.

Roseayyyyyyylmao.

It's like one of those magic eye things where depending on what I'm thinking I can't tell if it's ice cream and caramel sauce or mash potato and gravy.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 16:12 on Jun 15, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pizza is made of cheddar surely?

Everything in the UK is made of cheddar.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

bike tory posted:

That's gross so can we get back to the real purpose of this thread which is bearing witness to people truly pushing the boundaries of pizza?

I mean, smoked salmon is my second favorite thing to put on pizza after pepperoni.

Green thing looks mank though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Picnic Princess posted:

OwlFancier must be really old, only millennials eat avocado.

Avocado is absolutely disgusting, and I feel quite vindicated in that I never felt a desire to eat it even before I learned that fact.

Some things you should not look at and think "I wonder if I can eat this"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Ok I know a goon being weird about unobjectionable food is probably :thejoke: at this point, but seriously? Avocado? Nature's milder version of cream cheese?

I mean, at the very least the first guy to cut open a pineapple or poke in the dirt after rock-hard brown lumps looking for sustenance was putting themselves way more out there than the one just lazily scooping delicious-from-the-tree vegetable spread from a thin, easy to cut rind.

Semi-related:
https://mobile.twitter.com/POTUS44/...uacamole-recipe

I might be thinking of courgette?

I've definitely eaten one of them in an otherwise very nice prawn cocktail and couldn't taste anything else, utterly foul and I was grumpy because I love prawn cocktail.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Zucchini is fuckin' great in a basically bland and unobjectionable way too though, like you can bulk out spaghetti pesto 1/3 zucc 2/3 spaghetti with no real discernible change in overall taste and texture :psyduck:

They're completely different vegetables in almost every way in both culinary and horticultural aspects and it's utterly insane to have had so little experience with either that you could honestly confuse them in the first place but you're basically going "Ah yes, it wasn't unseasoned couscous I found so unbearable and overpowering, it was plain soba noodles"

on the other hand, though, assuming you're :britain: I suppose allowances must be made, it was a hard war and many sacrifices had to be made o7

Pictured: a delicious dinner

I mean it's not like they aren't available here, lots of people eat them and lots of places serve meals with them, I just never thought "I really wonder what this thing tastes like"

I don't have the best track record with waxy primary coloured foods, especially green ones, having a profound dislike of cucumber and not at all seeing the appeal of bell peppers. All the best vegetables are subterranean.

Like literally all my favorite foods are underground, onion, garlic, potato, carrot, turnip and swede. Cauliflower is close enough that I count it. Proximity to the floor is an excellent indicator of how good something is to eat. Extra points if it is below the floor.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 16:17 on Jun 27, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

CommonShore posted:

The stuff floating on top might be, but the rest is clearly a congealed stock. Tallow is just white fat - it looks like lard.

Yeah that looks like gravy to me. Only slightly thicker than my mum makes it.

And that looks like ginger parkin in a tin. Which would be fine as it's just ginger flavoured sticky mush anyway.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 22:29 on Jul 2, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah that definitely sounds like parkin/toffee pudding which is basically cake saturated with syrup and would probably be improved by putting it in a can because it stops it drying out.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Bloop posted:

I was confused at first because to an American pudding is a very specific thing which this is most certainly not, but the description of syrup saturated cake is close. It's a very moist cakey bread. Maybe a touch oily feeling.

I mean there might be a specific meaning for it but over here "pudding" is broadly a synonym for dessert and basically encompasses anything that isn't a normal cake that you can eat covered in custard.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What the gently caress is "sliced chicken ham"?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

You can cure chicken the same way your cure pork to make ham.

I... guess that makes sense.

But I can't imagine it tasting of anything other than salt.

elise the great posted:

If you butterfly, dry brine, and dry-age a turkey for four days in your fridge, then roast it at very high heat juuuuust to recommended temp minus ten degrees, then rest it for thirty minutes under foil to hit temp and then come back down, the result is very much like ham.

In the best possible way, I mean. Salt and sugar from the dry brine permeate the flesh, which takes on a faint translucence and spring from the drying process. It has a very distinct "cured" texture and flavor that doesn't really resemble the classic Thanksgiving turkey, but will engage the piranha impulse in your guests enough to leave you with a squeaky-clean carcass for tomorrow morning's congee.

Even if you put sage leaves under the skin and they end up looking like weird turkey cancer.

My enduring conception of turkey is the one time I went to America as a young child, a man on the street corner was selling whole roast turkey legs, I was given one and I remember it seeming to be about the same size as me.

Considering I also went to disneyland that trip and the turkey leg is the only thing I remember I think it's fair to say that just roasting a drat turkey leg is all you need to do to it in my book. Hack it off the turkey, roast it, eat it like a caveman. Use it to club anybody who tries to take it off you.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 22:54 on Jul 3, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What's with this weird American habit of calling anything you slurry together in a bowl with goop on it a salad?

Like I don't like veggies either but I don't start calling random things salads so that I can sound like less of a fat gently caress.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

I'm still not sure what it might be. Carrot with sauce on top? Bologna with melted cheese food product?

It looks like cheese and some kind of formed sausage like choritzo or pepperoni.

Which honestly seems far less objectionable than the idea of putting wheat pasta in wheat bread with mayo on it and calling it a sandwich.

Ebola Dog posted:

Do you mean (Welsh) rarebit? Because that's the only thing I can think of and it's not even a block of pan fried cheese but generally a mixture of cheese, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and beer melted on toast and is amazing, I can't even find any bad pictures of it for thread content! The only pan fried cheese I'm familiar with is halloumi, which is Greek anyway and is also amazing unless you this to it I guess:

Part of me wishes I could replace half my meat intake with halloumi, it's fabulous stuff. Texture of chicken, taste of cottage cheese.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 20:26 on Jul 5, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The sausage and egg butty looks fabulous but gently caress I would die trying to eat even a quarter of that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Haifisch posted:

It's almost like there's a reason we use sauces that can seep into the pasta? :confused:

You don't like plain pasta? It's very nice, like strong bread.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am not comfortable with my dinner having defensive eye spots.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's so much about this question I want to know the answer to.

CommonShore posted:

You're Canadian, right? Don't they have Paralysers in your parts?

1 oz vodka
1 oz kaluha
coke
milk

:barf:

A petty-bourgeois Russian?

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 02:29 on Aug 7, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

lmao

On the lesser known art of food compartmentalization:

I fought that thing in demons souls I think.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Glumslinger posted:

I'm sure this was posted before, but I need to post it

https://twitter.com/WeWantPlates/status/756593975767732224

What...

What is?

I don't...

What???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

MariusLecter posted:

American school lunch is a mess.

As I recall in the UK growing up in the 90's it was lots of potato, crappy mince in gravy... Erm... different potato.... more mince....

Actually I don't remember it being anything but mince and potato and sometimes a small disc of pastry.

Except that there was ice cream and the most delicious toffee sauce I have ever tasted and for which I would kill any man stone dead for a taste of today.

I don't know how they made it but it was fabulous, I think it was made on site.

Wa11y posted:

Probably cotton candy served on a pony head, but could be some other sort of gastric cuisine foam things that's popular with the kids these days.

But if it is cotton candy served on a pony head, my 7 year old daughter who loves cotton candy and My Little Pony would probably love the poo poo out of that serving method.

Well it looks sort of like candy floss yes but I have never been served candy floss as a dessert so... I suppose I was trying to figure out what kind of partially macerated meat product it was that could adhere to a porcelain horse...

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 00:40 on Aug 12, 2017