Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

CannonFodder posted:

Robust Italian dressing.

Domo arigato, Signore Robusto

I'm jealous of countries that get interesting M&M's flavours. The only different ones I've seen here are dark chocolate and salted caramel.

For some reason, Ireland is going through a salted caramel revolution right now. I'm pretty sure it's been a known thing since forever, but for some reason every drat food company has been releasing a salted caramel version of their product in the past few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

As a non-American I've always wondered what ranch dressing is/tastes of. The name doesn't really give much away.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

That's completely different from what I thought it was. I'd associated "ranch" with Texas cowpokes and assumed it was some kind of spicy Tex-Mex dressing.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

I'm the unopened bag of green food lurking in the upper-left of the picture.

Those look 100% like Tesco "southern fried" chicken steaks, where the chicken is entirely made up of mechanically removed meat reconstituted into a shape and coated in breadcrumbs.

I've no idea what the side order of hagfish is supposed to be.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

My local supermarket had a bunch of Paneer in the reduced aisle today. I bought a couple of packets for £0.40 each, despite having no idea what it was.

After Googling once I got home, turns out it's frying cheese and very very tasty!

Fried it up in chonks along with some tomato and spinach, threw in some single cream and some spicies and it came out not bad.

The bread is just some flatbread that was getting close to going stale and the white dollop is plain yoghurt to counteract the fact I'd added too many spicies to the pan.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

ZombieCrew posted:

I feel like you are missing the point of this thread. It's to belittle and/or express disgust over pictures of food (or attempts at possibly palatable calorically positive substances). Your photo does not qualify.

Tldr. Looks good!

I kinda thought the end product looked a bit like dog vomit on a plate despite being proper tasty, but I'll take your comments on board and refrain from posting future food adventures unless they're truly vile.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Samurai Pizza Cats remake looking good.

Haggis:

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I've always wondered. Does it have that odd organ meat bite to it?

No, any time I've had it it tended to be quite a dry crumbly thing. It's basically minced meat from lesser used parts of the animal mixed with oatmeal and a bunch of herbs and seasoning.

A place near me used to do a haggis taco and it was the poo poo, but sadly they've closed down. I can still get haggis pizza though.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

LifeSunDeath posted:

There's a super expensive fancy place not far from me called Eculent, it's like the talk of houston currently because they serve a 30-40 course microgastronomy meal for around $1k.

gently caress any dining experience where one of the cutlery utensils is a miniature loving rake. At that point you might as well just crawl inside your own arsehole and eat whatever gets shat out.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

I'm the ultra-specific instructions on how to freezer-pack the sandwich to take into work.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Came across these delicacies on my fb.

Stuffed pepper in tomato sauce

Substitute teacher in pepperoni pizza

Clyde Radcliffe has a new favorite as of 23:58 on Jul 10, 2019

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

That seems like way more cucumber than I'd expect to see available at a self-serve salad bar.

I was at Pizza Hut for the first time in years and experienced my first (probably last) taste of ranch dressing. I've not seen it served anywhere else in the UK. I now understand why it's considered a "things boomers like" dressing. The whole Pizza Hut salad bar is pretty white - limp iceberg lettuce, plain tortilla chips, salsa that could double as a salve for burns, artificial bacon flavour sprinkles and jalapenos that looked like jalapenos but had absolutely no kick to them.

The pizza was at the higher end of mediocre but they're one of the few American chains that isn't ridiculously overpriced in the UK. All you can eat and unlimited refills for less than the price of a 7" Domino's. 7" shouldn't be allowed to call itself pizza as it's 50% crust.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Randaconda posted:

Pizza Hut used to be a lot better when it was more of sit down place back in the 80s and early/mid 90s.

It still has that vibe in the UK. Nobody's ordering it as take-out when there are loads of superior local pizza parlours, but all you can eat for £7 is OK if you're just heading out to lunch with workmates.

I think there's also a lingering fondness for it among people of my age. Pizza was virtually unknown in the UK until TMNT came along and Pizza Hut was the first franchise to go mainstream here and offer kids the pizza pie that provided turtle power.

Pizza yesterday:

I went for pepperoni, haggis, black pudding, jalapenos, lamb donner, Irn-Bru pulled pork and it was amazing. Washed down with a couple of cocktails made from a mixture of rums, fruit juice and Buckfast (it's a Scottish restaurant chain, natch).

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

This is the ideal make-your-own pizza. You may not like it, but this is what peak pizza looks like.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

roger roger

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Plinkey posted:

discount grocery find

might post a trip report tomorrow

Heat, Stuff, Eat.

Don't doxx my signature foreplay technique.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

It is Wednesday my dudes.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Sakurazuka posted:

Mayo+ketchup+some chopped up pickles and stuff I think, literally comes in squeezy bottle labelled 'burger sauce'

That is not a traditional British sandwich though.....

I've always seen in on the supermarket shelf next to the mayo, but never been brave enough to buy it because it doesn't look like anything that belongs on a burger.

I made a post-pub plate of brown which is going to kill me overnight with heartburn:

Pancakes fried in butter
Eggy bread
Sausage
A potato farl travesty which will likely require me to renounce my Irish citizenship

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

uber_stoat posted:

I feel almost certain that thing is the horrifying invention of a mad Scotsman.

This is an extreme version of a Scots delicacy known as the "munchy box". Most chippies will offer some version of it, albeit with less deep-fried goods. Usually it has a couple of sausages and a pastie deep-fried, maybe with some chicken goujons, and always with a gently caress-ton of chips.

Reminds me that my local chippy had this special offer running during Easter:

Deep-fried Cadbury's Creme Egg in batter.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Obligatory:

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

TheAardvark posted:

Soap is good, there should be more soap flavored things. Cilantro tastes like soap and it owns, so do most lemon-lime candies. Soap is tasty :colbert:

I thought I was one of the genetic weirdos who didn't like coriander because it tasted of soap. Is that how it's supposed to taste and people like that?

I've never eaten a lemon-lime candy that tasted even remotely like soap.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Facebook Aunt posted:

I'm don't think I've ever seen lamb for sale in the supermarket. Lamb is kinda exotic here (western canada) so it's expensive at the places that have it.

My point, and I do have one, is that the essence of shepherd's pie is a working class meal so it should use working class meat, which in the US and Canada will be ground beef. Presumably our immigrant ancestors switched en masse to ground beef in their Shepherd's Pie because lamb was just too dear for a routine meal.

Shepherd's pie is lamb, because shepherd=sheep meat. Cottage pie is the same dish but with ground beef instead of lamb, because cottage, I dunno, cow-tage?

A hamburger is a working class meal made from ground beef, but you wouldn't call a chicken burger a hamburger just because chicken is more affordable where you live.

Anyway, my Irish mammy makes an awesome spicy cottage pie using chili beef topped with a layer of mashed potato. On top of that is a crunchy layer of crushed tortilla chips mixed with chili cheddar.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Ok, but... Black pudding? Why call a sausage that?

Long before pudding became a general term for a dessert it meant any kind of sausage-type food. So haggis, black pudding and others were all puddings. The meaning of the word changed over time, but black pudding and white pudding kept the original meaning.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Bung all ingredients in a dish and shove in the oven for 30 mins.
Take out, add more cheese, and slam it back in to cook for another 10 mins.

How does a 2-step recipe that applies to all pasta bakes need an instructional videogif?

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Distorted Kiwi posted:

"Crayfish Bush", circa 1962. As someone with a mild phobia of cockroaches, I physically recoiled from my monitor.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

ookiimarukochan posted:

The EU has two definitions of vodka, one made from "potatoes and/or cereals" (i.e. actual vodka) and one made from "other agricultural raw materials" (i.e. "go hog wild, everything is vodka") as if a pressure group forced them to water down their original definition so much as to make it meaningless.

Other way round. The original definition was "vodka can be made from anything". The Poles and other eastern European countries campaigned to have it tightened so that only their vodkas would be labelled as proper vodka. A compromise was reached where everything can still be called vodka, but non-grain/potato vodkas have to list the ingredients used in their production.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

My grandad used to have a vegetable garden. We would go to my grandparents for Sunday dinner. Me and my sister would sit out there with him and eat delicious snap peas straight from the vine (not sure if that's the right word but they grew on a trellis). He also had carrots and we would wash them off under the outdoor tap and munch on them raw.

A few hours later when it was dinner time we'd go inside and be presented with a plate just like that, with the same delicious veggies boiled to the point the peas were turning yellow. Mash that was literally just overboiled potato mashed up with nothing else added, and minced beef that had been boiled in a saucepan with gravy granules.

It wasn't until I started cooking for myself that I realised the same meal could be tasty as hell when done right.

To be fair, my mum and gran were really good at baking cakes, pastries and making desserts, but they definitely came from a generation where everything else had to be boiled until tasteless.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

This looks like when I would come home drunk in the wee small hours and shove something into the oven, then go to bed and be woken at 5am by the smoke alarm going crazy because I'd been baking sausages for 4 hours straight.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Croatoan posted:

My dad is an ok cook. My mom is pretty bad and boils everything. It's weird, my granddad and great grandma (on my dad's side) were super awesome cooks and separately taught me a lot about Polish foods and I make them today for my kids. I don't know why boomers are poo poo at cooking but they really are. My kids loving love pierogies and galumpkis.

My dad tended to fry the gently caress out of everything, from what I remember of him being around.. My mum boils everything to death. To be fair she is really great when it comes to stuff like cakes and desserts, but everything else just gets boiled to oblivion.

My grandad on my mum's side had an amazing vegetable garden and my sister and I used to love digging up carrots or eating snap peas off the vine, but our parents completely ignored all of his veg and insisted on making meals based on boiling all the things into the blandest food imaginable.

There really was a generation that ignored all the benefits of homegrown food and embraced the processed food culture.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

All 3 "methods" involve shaking out pre-cooked fries from a packet and re-heating them. I'm angry on several levels right now.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

yeah I eat rear end posted:

that's...that's the joke

Shame on me, I didn't register it as a joke. Genuninely thought it was a terrible lifehack foodie video.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

angerbeet posted:

This would probably taste fine but I think the uploader has audio mics in his kitchen going in all possible directions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nksbpdJwj4

It's like some SPAM hell ASMR

Would, but not sure of the need for a super high-tech InstantPot(TM) that plays Game'n'Watch bleep bloops after every operation.

When I was a student I'd make the same thing using Pasta'n'Sauce packets that were ready in 5 mins in a regular saucepan. I'd chop the spam up a bit finer and fry it for a couple of mins before throwing it into the pasta along with a handful of whatever frozen veg was in the fridge.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Not really familiar with the InstantPot. It kinda looks like a regular pressure cooker but with bleep bloop and lots of buttons.

Pasta has no place in a pressure cooker.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It's just an electric pressure cooker plus a bunch of other functions that i've never heard of anyone using, except maybe the slow cooker version (which works in a weird unreliable way, just spend 20 dollars on a crockpot and it will actually cook how you expect it). like it has all these different buttons for rice, fish, beef, etc but in reality all recipes just have you set things manually so they're useless. And then there's features like making yogurt and I mean...I can't say i've ever felt the need to even try to make yogurt, especially not in a pressure cooker.

I feel right now we should all attempt to make home yoghurt and post the results ITT.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Pookah posted:

Parma violets? like Facebook Aunt says, they don't taste like soap, they taste like an old-fashioned fancy soap smells - extremely floral and perfumey. I think they are rank, other people adore them.

We grabbed a few big bags of trick or treat sweets to hand out to kids next week and there were a bunch of Parma Violets in there. They don't taste anywhere near as bad as I remember from my childhood.

But we still picked them out and I gave them to a cow-orker who actually likes them. They don't taste as much of old-lady perfume as they used to, but they're still a gross candy.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Northern Ireland has a big eel-based market, to the point where our eels have protected status within the EU and there's an entire industry based on shipping crates of live eels to the rest of the EU where people actually want to eat them.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

I only recently discovered that I like lasagne. My boomer Irish mum used to make it using lovely jars of sauce, dumping the entire mince into the bottom of a casserole dish and then layering it with pasta sheets separated by a thin layer of white sauce.

End result: some overcooked mince buried at the bottom topped with several layers of very chewy pasta glued together by white sauce.

Like so many other staples from my childhood, the first time I attempted to cook it for myself was a revelation.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

SLOSifl posted:

You can cross off jellied eels from your list without even traveling to the UK. Here’s a recipe - get a pen and paper and write down things you want to eat. Afterwards, if you wrote down jellied eels, go ahead and cross that one off.

Eel is an acquired taste I think, but they're pretty great when prepared any other way except jellied. There's an eel fishery about 20 miles from me that exports them as a delicacy all across Europe. And so a bunch of the fancier restaurants around here often have eel dishes on the menu, usually with produce caught the same day.

Like so many foods, the source ingredient isn't the issue. The problem is letting the English cook it.

I dip in and out of this thread so I'm not sure if KAYS COOKING has appeared in here before, but it absolutely belongs.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeKWgImK1RAD9IGjWZqxmIw/videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWuYzCGDn-U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjVcdA-3tTM

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Had a bit of a drunk cooking competition using the shittiest starter ingredients with a few friends.

Base:

Ingredients:
  • Baked Beans
  • Large Sausages
  • Potato Chunks
  • Mushrooms
  • Mini Bacon Steaks
  • Mini Beef Cutlet

Initial contents looking very much like Trump's daily facial

Separating out the premium cuts from the so so many beans, and unleashing the full colour spectrum of British food:

The All-Day Breakfast Mini Beef Cutlet is the key ingredient, so I prepared it first. Obviously with a prime cut like this, less is more so just a simple salt and rainbow peppercorn rub to bring out the natural flavour:

Seared to medium rare and served with some of the All-Day Breakfast Potato Chunks, and all three All-Day Breakfast Button Mushrooms. The potato was a bit stodgy, so I threw in a few Cheese'n'Onion Hula Hoops, drizzled with a zesty vinaigrette.

Course 2: All-Day Breakfast Mini Bacon Steaks pan-fried in an organic honey glaze, with an avocado mash topped with a cumin/chilli spice mix. Served with a side of LoveHearts in a lemon juice drizzle.

Vegetarian course - 3-bean treat

Thai green curry All-Day Breakfast beans with a local spice mix.
Jamaican Hot Sauce All-Day Breakfast beans topped with mixed chilli flakes
Passata All-Day Breakfast beans topped with "too-drunk-to-melt" Mozzarella

Served with a palate-cleansing shot of '19-vintage Toilet Duck

All-day Breakfast Large Sausage slices served on split peppers and Mozzarella, with All-day Breakfast Potato Chunks in pesto. Side dish is a hipster-friendly Cillit Bang foam with lime served in a Poundland eggcup.

Clyde Radcliffe has a new favorite as of 00:09 on Feb 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

theironjef posted:

My chili is a pound of beef and a pound of Mexican style pork chorizo and sure it may be my wet brown tombstone but gently caress is that ever a good base.

Chorizo in chili is good stuff. Although I think chorizo is slightly different on your side of the Atlantic than the stuff we have here.

Minced lamb is a good beef substitute. It works better if you're making a milder chili that allows the richer flavour of the lamb to come through.

I made a Scottish chili once using haggis instead of minced beef. It was supposed to be a joke, but turned out really good. I think being less dense than minced beef and being only partly meat allowed it to soak up a lot more flavour.