Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

TheAardvark posted:

very AFP post here, but I've heated up so many leftovers over the years that I've actually gotten a taste for cooked lettuce (and sour cream, but not avocado)

Hard same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I watch a twitch streamer from Iceland sometime and it's always interesting to see what bizarre preparation of seafood he's eating on a given day

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

OwlFancier posted:

On the one hand, I wouldn't have eaten seasoned chicken as a kid.

I wouldn’t have eaten that bland hunk of tasteless meat even as a kid without drowning it in dressing or cheese or something

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

OwlFancier posted:

I didn't know you could caramelise cheese.

*processed pasteurized cheese product

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Maybe it's just because it's 2020, but their store locator page looks like an epidemiological map to me:

At least the outbreak is pretty well contained at this point.

if anyone needed more proof that the midwest is part of the upper south

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm devouring the purple kind of takis and I wanna call out whoever insulted takis a few pages ago

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Can the unwieldy huge sandwich trend end already

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Lol if you can afford cheese with paper instead of plastic slip covers

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Grand Fromage posted:

That'd probably taste better.

Those french fry "corn" dogs are like the #1 food that people outside Korea want to try and people who lived in Korea wouldn't touch again with a ten foot pole.

Having not tried one, I could see it working with some kind of really thin crispy fry and not huge crinkle cuts. Those are literally never good. loving elementary school cafeteria/prison fries.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Texas has cultural ownership of chili and Ohio must rename their dish to skyline pastitsio toute suite.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Wait are we calling Skyline a greek restaurant now

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I don't really see how a greek sauce a greek restaurant makes, given the entire menu. By that logic roughly 80% of Texas-based restaurants are tex-mex/barbecue hybrid joints.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Lol if you haven’t sadly eaten pasta with a spoon at least once

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Absolutely WOULD the "french" and "german" "pizzas"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Continent: It's mayo and ketchup.
UK: It's Marie Rose sauce.
US: Mayochup! :downs:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Egg on pizza is extremely good

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

I've never been to the UK but this is exactly how I imagined the grocery stores looked

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

OwlFancier posted:

This is actually just what bulk food for catering looks like. I used to deliver boxes full of pre-cooked frozen halal certified chicken pieces. They have the texture of rubber and come in a similar blue sack. You have the option of vaguely fillet shaped chunks or small cubes.

At a tex-mex sports bar I used to work at, our "boneless wings" were fresh cut chunks of chicken breast marinated, battered, and fried in-house. Our proper bone-in wings came in sacks like that, pre-breaded, pre-cooked, pre-spiced, and frozen. They just went in the fryer to heat back up.

I think about that whenever someone gets smug about boneless wings.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Grand Fromage posted:

Every US grocery store has open refrigerator units.

Yeah but they don't look like that... very clearly unenclosed area with the sandwiches and the egg sacks

e: and normally I'd be the first to tell you that poo poo tier european packaged sandwiches manage to be way better than US ones, but oh my god, apparently brexit has far-reaching consequences.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 22:14 on Sep 16, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

OwlFancier posted:

I dunno there was just a bunch of people apparently very worried by the fact that the sandwiches weren't in a closed refrigerator. Like I said it's normal to me so I don't understand the consternation.

Maybe it's the same parasite that lets y'all tolerate monarchy

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Hirayuki posted:

Ours look more like this:

and less like

I wouldn't expect that Twinkies shelf to be refrigerated, but it may well be!

eta: We don't buy milk off any open-cooler shelf anymore. It spoils well before it should.

wait so do you live in an airport or Canada?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

The General posted:

Canada has airports. He could live in a Canadian airport.

Yeah they confirmed why I was suspicious about the dollar signs.

And confirmed the third one is one of those "american food" sections

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Roundup Ready posted:

Have you people never worked in a restaurant or boiled up a bunch of eggs for snacking? You store them in a container with water. Sometimes with a lemon wedge or something. That's totally normal.

I've worked at loads of restaurants but none where boiled eggs alone were part of any dish

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

SlothfulCobra posted:

Never heard of streaky bacon, I think that might be canadians being weird because they have their own personal kind of bacon.

Oh man, you just reminded me of Australian root beer too.

I don't care that licorice is a root, don't put it in my drat soda.

Pre-opened raw eggs sound grosser. Probably also doesn't keep for as long either.

Canada calls the same thing bacon as the US does, and then there's also peameal bacon which is similar but superior to the thing americans call canadian bacon.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 11:15 on Sep 18, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I’m still weirded out by grown rear end adults drinking straight milk

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

OwlFancier posted:

Eat less. One square meal a day is fine for me. Maybe breakfast too if I'm going to be busy.

Why would I do that just for milk or coke? Food rules

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I can't tell if that's baked cheese slices, some kind of lovely cream sauce, or mayo

e: not mayo, but one time I was drunk and ate a big bowl of spaghetti and blue cheese dressing with a little tapatio. Wasn't bad.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

WITCHCRAFT posted:

in US grocery stores you can get whole (full milkfat), 2% and 1% (% of the whole container in milkfat, not 2% of the milkfat that is in whole milk), or skim milk (0% milkfat). This is all regular pasteurized (not UHT) and must be refrigerated.

Whole milk is I think something like 4-5% milkfat, so the other ones are like half fat and quarter fat milk.

In my experience, people call skim/0% milk "white water" and generally deride it.

I think this generally how milk is in most of America? Unless you live somewhere weird like Alaska???

When I grew up my family all had a glass of milk with supper. I don't drink a ton of it now though. Once or twice a month I might want a bowl of cereal or a glass of milk with a dessert like brownies, pie, or cake. Our household goes through milk like crazy though. I think my son could keg-stand a cow and drink until it shriveled up and died.

Oh, oh, and while we are derailing, I drink my coffee black and genuinely prefer it that way :smug:

The 1950s seem great but we've moved on a bit

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

"on a parrilla (charcoal grill)"

woah

taste the meat not the heat, Argentina.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

isn't this the classic English Breakfast i've heard so much about?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

angerbeet posted:

Real maple syrup, like first boil, is a whole other creature than what I guess most Americans (Vermont excepted) tend to think of as maple syrup. Going by the sprinkles and styrofoam plate I'm guessing that's Aunt Jemima or whatever which is just brown HFCS.

It's got mineral qualities, some sweetness, some smokiness. It'd go fine on eggs (not those eggs)

real maple syrup costs about the same and is equally available in the US and Canada.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

uber_stoat posted:

i imagine Four Loko stories are of a kind with Ambien stories. generally not the kind you want to be the author of.

It’s no joose

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

NLJP posted:

Those posts have a lot of 'drunk cooking, more drunk than you think you are' energy.

When I do this it ends up with a brown and black pizza and a blaring smoke alarm most of the time

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

TheAardvark posted:

what is this

what about this is bad?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It annoys me when parents only serve their kids bland poo poo and then complain their kids are picky.

This goes double for vegetables and it seems so ubiquitous. Like our school would would serve canned plain green beans, canned loose corn, “salad” of pure iceberg lettuce, and so on and we’d all throw it away and go “ewwww vegetables”.

And I’d still throw that poo poo away today, because it was just bland and bad.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

steinrokkan posted:

Why TF does canned potato exist

Momma don’t got time for anything else

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Perpetual stew is a tradition that needs to come back to being widespread.

I know people that do their own in crock pots but idk if I want my apartment to smell like stew 24/7. I don't know that I don't either, mind.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
You can get even packaged sliced bread with no added sugar at wal mart these days. Most americans don't because we are victims of a decades-long corn syrup haze, but like, you can. I do.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Butterfly Valley posted:

'Even' lol you live in a hellscape

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

gschmidl posted:

A bit of both, yes.

Do you choose what sort of sausage you want, or is it just "one sausage please" and you take what you're given? Please tell me it's the second one.