Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
As an aussie expat: Would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
They're great on a cracker with hard cheese and speck.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Samizdata posted:

Pork speck or Jewish deli speck? (I imagine sawdust would be lovely with the Jewish deli speck.)

The only speck I know is Italian/German speck which is pork.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Samizdata posted:

I could rock that too, especially if smoked. (I would prolly eat sawdust if it was smoked right.)

Speck is always smoked. It's basically lightly smoked prosciutto.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

monkeytennis posted:

Yeah I was in Berlin the other week and saw that. They call it 'diesel'. Didn't try it :barf:

Putting things in beer is a thing all over Germany. I was quite partial to Fanta in wheat beer. But they do the full gamut of fruit juices in beer too (shandys).

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
German fanta is mostly real orange juice. It's not like the American poo poo.

Also, google 'spezi'. It's cola and orange mixed together that you buy in a bottle just like any other softdrink.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
No it is not exactly the same at all. After water and sugar, the main ingredient is orange juice. Here is a photo I took on my last trip because it tasted like real oranges. American Fanta isn't using orange juice.

If you think it even tastes the same, then unfortunately your palate is hosed.

Bald Stalin has a new favorite as of 21:55 on Feb 13, 2017

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

yeah I eat rear end posted:

They both taste like orange soda. If you think they taste significantly differently your palate is being fooled by marketing

Lol if you think they taste the same. One uses orange juice, the other doesn't.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The standard real juice percentage is like 3 percent.

Wrong again. We'll leave it there since you seem incapable of admitting a mistake.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Don't you wanta wanta stop sperging?

They look and taste different. The other guy is the one that tried to say they're exactly the same. TIL pointing out that someone's correction was wrong is sperging.

Elizabethan Error posted:

:ssh: Orange juice has no actual flavour

LOL

Bald Stalin has a new favorite as of 01:15 on Feb 14, 2017

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

you won't see any indication of this on most labels as it's a byproduct of orange processing and therefore a natural product, labeling laws are really backwards.

You're referring to specific fruit 'juices' made and sold in the USA by a specific company. The EU has a completely different set of laws. If it's labelled 'orange juice' then it's orange juice.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

quote:

Pulp or cells
The products obtained from the edible parts of fruit of the same species without removing the juice. Furthermore, for
citrus fruit, pulp or cells are the juice sacs obtained from the endocarp

All it's saying is you can add the pulp back lol

There's no pulp in European Fanta which looks and tastes different to American Fanta. Anyone that claims they are the same and taste the same have poo poo palates and eyesight.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

uh no, it mentions cells specifically, which indicates they're trying to OK the expression of essential oils from the orange rind.

Someone doesn't know what endocarp means. You should read the document you tried to use as a source a little more closely. I even quoted the definition of cell from it it for you.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Megabound posted:

How does America deal with having poo poo coffee from every single establishment? I'm dreading visiting because I'm sure no one will know what a latte is.

It's not as bad as it used to be. You can even get flat whites now in some places which was unheard of 3 years ago.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
"Australian Coffee" isn't a thing. Its just well made espresso drinks with the addition to the menu of the Aussie 'flat white' which even Starbucks do now. Otherwise it's the same as everywhere else in the developed world. Melbourne just has a higher density of well roasted coffee and good baristas/cafes to make/serve it.

What's unique about Australian Cafes is the combination of high quality espresso with small menus of high quality food. That's what you are finding in NYC and apparently LA (I haven't heard of any in the SF bay area yet).

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Subjunctive posted:

Coupa in Palo Alto would be one.

They advertise as Venezuelan food. What about it is like an Aussie cafe? Where's the smashed avo on toast? Full bacon, eggs and beans breakfast?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Their menu is loving massive. It's not 1 chef serving high quality seasonal food which changes daily based on availability.

"Italy" LOL please.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Only a loving idiot combines all of Italy and its many hundreds of unique regions/foods/styles/cultures into "Italy". And only a stupendous loving moron tries to compare the generic Aussie cafe to "Italy".

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Bubblyblubber posted:

I wonder if bookies are already taking odds on Stevia making your kidneys explode out your dick or whatever.

I heard it has been available for decades in other countries.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
chips (french fries) in sandwiches is p good too

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Bubblyblubber posted:

When I was a broke student, hot dogs in wonder bread was a regular in rotation (because that was all there was to eat sometimes).

This is a quintessential 'dish' in Australia. You get a snag in bread at a sausage sizzle. Aussies don't use buns unless it's a weird pork 'hotdog' weiner which they call hotdogs. Aussie snags are cheap beef instead, completely raw requiring cooking.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
That's one of those pre-made pizza crusts right?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Raw salmon is meant to be frozen, according to FDA guidelines, is it not? To kill parasites.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

angerbeet posted:

Actually the hot hamburger sandwich has a long and storied history

Francesinha https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francesinha

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Goon pizza burgs

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I've won chili competitions using ground turkey, corn and mcormicks taco seasoning

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

wth are people putting in chili in place of ground meat and beans?

Whole chuck and pork shoulder, cubed and seared before it breaks down over 3~ hours. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3451852&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=54#post466961577 Warning it's a link to a GWS megathread on Chili.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Pastry of the Year posted:

I like all chili except "white chili," which isn't chili.

im white and my chili is good so this offended me

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
halp I don't have Morton's Brand salt, is my meal ruined??!

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Zipperelli. posted:

Paper plates are just lol, but the food looks p.good :shrug:

Egg over medium, cantaloupe or some other melon, and breakfast sausage on biscuits with gravy.

GROSS!

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Now that we know birds are literally dinosaurs, it all seems so obvious now.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
a Brahma rooster.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Aussie here, plastic cheese.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Ramos posted:

Pretty much. It's that stuff that looks, feels, and melts like cheese but isn't actually cheese.

It's actually cheese.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Ate those as a kid. Would. Especially if it's Australian mayo (sweeter than American).

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

mostlygray posted:

At most places, I just say "dealers choice" and they lose their poo poo. The average server loses their mind. They start asking if "dealers choice" is a brand name and then they offer me food that they don't even make. "How about PB&j?"

I've got one Subway where the manager knows me and I don't have to be grilled with "Do you want turkey on your turkey sub?" "Do you want horseflies on it?"

He just makes me something different every day and I never ask questions. It's magic. I also have a Qdoba guy that's the same way. i just got off work, I don't need any more questions, just put food in my belly and I'll be good. I'll decide more stuff tomorrow.

Yeah

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Too much cilantro on banh mi is bleh. A little goes a long way. Raw jalapenos on them can gently caress off too.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

In the US, Cilantro is the leaves, and Coriander the seeds, right?

We just call it all Coriander which is dumb now I think about it.

It's not dumb, Americans are dumb. Cilantro is the plant, Cilantro Seeds are the seeds. They don't call Tomato seeds "Jazberwazzits".

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

cyberia posted:

Who is putting raw jalapenos on a banh mi? They should be putting raw birds eye chillis on there instead. We have banh mi rules for a reason.

The Vietnamese population in Northern California (perhaps the rest of the USA too, I dunno). I'm Aussie and am used to thai birdseye in Vietnamese food too. They're way more delicious.

In southern california are they using birdseye? I hope so. When they bring the plate of bean shoots and stuff with my Pho here, it's always disappointing to notice the lack of a vibrant red color.

Bald Stalin has a new favorite as of 17:12 on Mar 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Is.. is that a pork meatloaf that was left covered?