Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Samizdata posted:

At Aldi's they have what is allegedly a popular German snack. It is an unflavored corn puff with powdered peanuts on it. It tastes kinda peanutty and something else. Not sure what it is, but something else.

I trust Aldi. I bought my bed from Aldi. They were selling beds that week for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Since someone mentioned Aldi spam I just remembered on a recent Aldi trip I saw a guy buying 6 entire cases of spam and 6 more of other various canned meats.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Rayjenkins posted:

McRib is back

Actually, Wikipedia says it's mostly shoulder.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

My childhood weird food was peanut butter and bologna sandwiches. At least it tasted better than mayonnaise on a sandwich.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

The little Caesars 5$ lunch combo of a 20oz soda and an entire pizza was one of the worst food experiences of my life. I'm used to eating a lot of garbage but the "personal size" pizza probably had enough dough for an entire sheet pizza and it was pretty much soggy with grease and had almost no toppings. It was like eating an entire loaf of bread that had been sitting in a lukewarm deep fryer all day that was then passed through the general vicinity of the rest of the ingredients of a pizza. I could not finish it. It was beyond the grease level of any deep fried fair abomination I have tried and it was intended to be eaten as a normal every day lunch.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

There's a reason why those giant kimchi pots used to be buried outside.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

When everyone is pizza no one will be.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

The Bloop posted:

Just cheese pizza with no toppings can be very good pizza

I'd rather have plain cheese pizza than a pepperoni pizza, especially if it's the little pepperoni that curls up trapping grease puddles in every bite.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I have no idea where it came from but there was a great veggie pizza at a work meeting I attended recently. I'm not sure but I think they added the toppings after the pizza was cooked. It didn't have the char around the edges you get with baked vegetables, but the mushrooms were perfect.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

My family also makes white trash Swedish meatballs for every family gathering. It's nothing like the real thing, but definitely better than they have any right to be.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

... And small pastry in a fake tree.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

bongwizzard posted:

I suggest trying to source a bulk supplier of the crumbs and salt mixture at the bottom of a bag of pretzels. It is the best salt delivery system ever.

I used a crushed up bag of gluten free pretzels to make a crust once when I forgot to buy flour for a recipe.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

angerbeet posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jaRjhVYkxw

literally just Hypnotiq and ice for her "ocean breeze" cocktail

"one for me now, one for me in a little bit"

oh Sandy

I want Andrew Cuomo to run for president so she can be our first lady.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

How do you even eat a pizza that is that wet?

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

AlbieQuirky posted:

That woman is lucky she's dead, because I would go to her house and kick her in the rear end for this nonsense.

Nobody said anything about her being dead? Did you check?

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I.C. posted:

2017 claimed one last victim before it was all said and done.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/29/dining/guy-fieri-restaurant-closing.html

"Its signature Donkey Sauce will stop flowing after the nearby ball drop on Dec. 31."

I'm sorry if you've already processed your feeling of grief. I just found out.
:rip: :smithmouth: (I know that's the other dude, but he and Guy share a bond that goes beyond hair bleach and bad goatees.)

I'm bummed because I'm going to NYC for the first time later this year and I was going to go there.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Any southern food that isn't spicy is overly sweet or flavorless garbage. Shoofly pie is somehow both. It's literally just a pie crust full of molasses.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

if you really want to make a hard boiled egg, you must allow it to dry

What is going on in this picture?

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

oh my god I wish you had not reminded me because now it's all my brain can taste

Guess it's time to consider a Syracuse Crate order.

e: I :lol:ed at the HOFFMAN SUPER CRATE

ee: poo poo, I totally got kicked out of the owners' bar once. Whoops.

I don't see the point of getting a Syracuse crate. Do you live somewhere that doesn't have any bland mushy food?

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Casu Marzu posted:

:colbert: Chicago hot dog

People get angry about ketchup on hot dogs but then people act like what Chicago does is okay.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I'm a serious gin drinker but I feel the need to say there's a whole world of good vermouths out there for making martinis with. Please use vermouth. You don't need to impress anyone.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Speaking of Christmas chocolate a friend of mine has family in Germany and every year they send a massive crate of every German dessert imaginable and all they wanted in return was a bunch of lovely American junk food.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

teenytinymouse posted:

Is the chocolate different on like an American snickers vs a UK one because snickers are amazing and I might get one later

Hershey's is gross af, I've genuinely tried dog treats and hamster food I enjoyed more.

I don't know about snickers, but every time I go to Canada I buy a bunch of kitkats because the chocolate they use is so much better than the American version.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Those restaurants always get slammed when the health inspector comes around for not having any way to adequately sanitize the wacky poo poo they serve food on.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Why would I debate someone who doesn't know the difference between pasta and pastry.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I had someone make them in an expensive rice cooker, looked basically like the photo, but the texture wasn't consistant all the way through, it wasn't terrible but I wouldn't again.

I had the same experience with a Japanese fluffy cheesecake recipe. It came out exactly like the picture but was super disappointing to eat.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Teach your children to eat raw eggs for dessert.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Zipperelli. posted:

The only topping for chicken and waffles is 100% maple syrup. None of that Mrs. Butterworth's bullshit, pickle relish, or whatever else you heathens try to put on them.

hth.

namaste.

Any southern food that isn't spicy is too loving sweet. I don't want straight syrup on chicken.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

The problem with mustard is yellow mustard is garbage so of course that's the only kind anyone has around. What is it even supposed to taste like? Actual mustard seed has an entirely different taste.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Ziv Zulander posted:

Oh, I was working memory care the other night and they served that for dinner. Didn't look very appetizing.

Why though? I haven't worked at any place that didn't make everything resemble actual food apart from the people on a puree diet.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

How do people who eat that poo poo not get malnourished when activated charcoal stops your GI tract from absorbing things?

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Facebook Aunt posted:

According to facebook it's national pizza day so I got to see this. (Didn't want to link to facebook, so I found the same video on youtube.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hTj7_7oFtQ

Mmm, crust.

Looks better than Chicago pizza.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

It's cute. I'd take that over anything a professional baker covered in fondant.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

You see people like this alot in the restaurant industry. "I'm allergic to onions unless they are cooked, garlic and chives are ok though." Just tell me you don't want raw onions and stop cheapening actual allergies.

That sounds like someone just not wanting to explain FODMAP.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

My dad made popcorn with the seasoning packet out of a ramen noodle once.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

That's what happened to me when I went to Burger King for the first time in years and forgot I always asked for no mayo for a reason.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Sir Lemming posted:

Why'd you sneak something perfectly normal and delicious in here

(Well that wouldn't be my choice of peanut butter, but still)

weirdest Doom mod ever

You do realize there was an officially licensed doom reskin that came as a prize in boxes of cereal right?

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Beets are like dirt flavored candy that you can use to dye your food and bowel movements a lovely shade of red. This is an endorsement of beets.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

No, millenials will make their own basil infused syrup. Boomers and gen xers buy it because they don't know how to make it and get paid more than us.

Gen xer spotted.

poo poo I have basil at home. I should try that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

That's how it used to be in America too, people have just forgotten what a sifter used to be used for.