Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Dr Snofeld posted:

Shark cakes, ooh ha ha!

I think they're sharkaroons. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

i would hang this in my kitchen

2016 National Geographic ©

Above: Increased volcanic activity recently created a new lava
field near Krakatoa, Indonesia

With a little effort that'd make a sweet wall texture for some old-school Doom levels.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

I love water bears. :3:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

My Lovely Horse posted:

I need to feel the salt crunch between my teeth in each bite.

I love these things, but I also feel like they need to have a warning printed on the bag: https://www.uniquesplits.com/pretzel-splits/extra-salted-pretzel-splits.html

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Titus Sardonicus posted:

New thread title owns.

Also, there's no point of a photo because there's nothing visually AFP about it, but I accidentally bought sugar-free bread & butter pickles. That chemical aftertaste of Splenda and acesulfame potassium just overpowers everything else :gonk:

Artificial sweetener always bugs me. I had a roommate who swore there was no way I could tell the difference between diet and regular soda, and on that day I made an easy five bucks and learned how other human beings apparently have non-functioning tastebuds in one go.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

steinrokkan posted:

Oreos are sickly sweet. There's no taste to them other than the overwhelming sweetness that lingers on the palate forever. on a related note, after hearing Americans rave about Ben & Jerry's for years, I once tried some of their ice cream with chunks of cookie dough, and getting through the dough bits was like trying to chew sugar-infused tar sludge, no edible substance should have either that sort of consistence, or taste. It also literally made me sick.

Those Prince biscuits or whatever brand is in your picture are alright.

Is there a "goon claims to be violently ill from eating normal god drat food" square on the AFP bingo card? Because there should be.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

EorayMel posted:

Limited Edition
SHREK 2
OGRE ICING

OGRE CHERRY
Cherry Flavor With Other Natural Flavors & [?]Rat First[?]

It's only got some rat in it.

Related: I can't read this without giggling like a moron.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

thecluckmeme posted:

Hi AFP. Let's play a game.

Pick a number between 1 and 78

Forget numbers, post these:
• Nose blow burritos
• Diaper dump porridge
• Cheesy ghost on toast
• Dish detergent smoothie

I may have the names wrong but god drat did I ever love this book as a kid.

e: Also worth noting most of the ingredients are pretty normal, and the recipes actually fairly good. I remember liking that smoothie a lot.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

:itwaspoo:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

That70sHeidi posted:

And the pooping, my goooooodddd the pooping she must go through.

Shittin' cobs for a week.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Polyseme posted:

It's food and it's terrible, but direct all ire at the first can not the rest.

Content edit:

I'm fairly sure that's due to being #hexed actually.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Warning: :nws: language

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9ttQEQH9bY

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Panfilo posted:

I remember Heinz had a promotional ketchup in both green and purple colors, and seeing it in 'wrong' colors made made it look incredibly nauseating.

There was also a company making baby blue and pink squeeze butter for a while.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

steinrokkan posted:

Isn't that basically frosting, at that point.

Salty frosting. Yum! :3:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

drrockso20 posted:

Well I got an interview at a Subway for a job tomorrow, if that works out then the odds are good I might have the occasional story for this thread

Also if this works out it will be my first paying job, so I'll admit I'm feeling a little giddy right now

Worked at Subway for about a year and a half, surprisingly not all that gross. You'll likely want the OSHA thread instead for numerous stories of coworkers managing to impale themselves with sharp kitchen tools.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I feel like I just read one of those "remember when" Facebook posts that involves some horrific story and ends in 😂😃😂😇#blessed

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Helith posted:

I think you'll find it's "NO PIZZA! RULES" :colbert:

"No pizza, rules"

Anarchy comes at a dire cost.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

EorayMel posted:

Ah, nothing like the flesh of animals so fresh it is still screaming as you trip off a bloody chunk from its body and start devouring it before its eyes!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Elizabethan Error posted:

Ok bud, you try cooking a steak sous vide for a day(24h) and see what happens :nallears:

This is literally what I am doing for dinner tonight. Beef bottom round, went in just about 24 hours ago now, and it's gonna be fabulous. 36 hour pork shoulder was also really good.

Probably would make for a real lovely burger though.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Is it just me or does this sandwich kind of...smell?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Shark Sandwich posted:

I hate to break up pastry chat but what do we think of this?

Probably good but not worth buying more than once ever. Limited edition Oreos all seem to be like that, interesting and worth the two bucks for the price of admission, but not worth getting twice.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Breakfast of champions.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Arivia posted:

Is "Tyson chicken" actual fresh uncooked chicken for cooking, or is it some weird processed thing?

Just a brand name, like Perdue. They do pre-cooked frozen stuff but if someone's saying "buy Tyson chicken" in the ingredients list they're either getting paid or too stupid to know otherwise.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

I'm planting (well, "planted" the seedlings look sweet) hot Thai peppers this year, and one Cayenne. We have enough preserved Jalapenos from last year to last through this season. Never tried the little Thai peppers, we'll see how they do. I do love me some heat, but not so much that it makes the skin on your lips come off. Here's an unidentifiable meat:

I think the thermometer is there so they can make absolutely sure it's not alive.

Oh joy, my cat ate too fast again.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Tiggum posted:

To be fair, that should be a really simple request and if people frequently get it wrong then those people are loving idiots.

Also being fair, this is also likely the kind of moron who orders it as "I want a cheeseburger but with nothing but meat and bread".

An old favorite McDonald's story from my friends who worked there at school was when one of the full-timer old ladies got into an extended argument over "WHERE ARE MY TWO CHEESEBURGERS WITH NO CHEESE" because one of the line cooks was too clever and just made hamburgers. Like, she had to be convinced that a hamburger was a cheeseburger without cheese.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Tiggum posted:

Wait, what? If a cheeseburger is just a hamburger + cheese, what did the line cook do that the customer didn't like?

Oh no it wasn't the customer with a problem, it was the confused ancient register lady. They didn't wrap them as cheeseburgers (yellow wrapper) with the "special order" slip noting no cheese, they just made two hamburgers (white wrapper).

The customer as far as I know had no problems with this, but they probably wondered why it took so long to get their food.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

I'm not normally a huge cheese fan but jesus christ. :eyepop:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Wasabi the J posted:

Surf and Blurf :barf:

Land, Sea, and AaaaaaAAAAAGH :stonk:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Code Jockey posted:

Nope! Nooooope!

gently caress you, recipe!

As a total weirdo who likes Red Bull for the taste, I would be OK with trying this except for one thing:

Who the gently caress needs a caffeinated steak!?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Otana posted:

gently caress yeah, this is actually a pretty neat party idea for the summer. But I agree with everyone else, mix that poo poo up with something stronger than rose.

They chased the rose with vodka in this gif.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Sweet As Sin posted:

My mom made dinner tonight

Wow, a baby bird learned to use a computer and post on the internet. I'm impressed!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Randaconda posted:

That sounds like a loving pizza rule. You know who loves rules? Nazis.

The pizza rule paradox: if there are no pizza rules, we must enforce a rule about there being no pizza rules.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Zipperelli. posted:

Regarding that whole medium rare chicken thing, it's actually real. As long as it's cooked to 165°F, you're safe. Apparently, right at 165°F, there is still a SMALL strip of pink on the inside, but it would still be safe to eat.

:science:

165 is just the easiest to use, but the temperature can be lower if you can hold the food there long enough. Sous vide science research shows me that the lowest general food temperature is 130 F (I use 129 for good steaks because I'm a madman) which you could totally cook chicken at if you want to, but it has to hit that and stay there for a couple of hours, and it'll be all chewy and slimy and gross.

The "food safe temperature" thing is based on a 1 in 10 million survival rate for bacteria. I.e.: if you killed off 99.9999% of them, it's considered safe.

At 130 it takes a couple of hours, at 165 you hit that kill rate in under a second. :black101:

http://www.foodsafetymagazine.com/magazine-archive1/februarymarch-2004/the-danger-zone-reevaluated/

According to this you could go as low as 125 for six hours if you really wanted to, but eeeeeeeugh.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

iRend posted:

I sous vided a piece of chicken at 140f the other day, because I was also cooking pork and 140 is the perfect temp for pork.

Unfortunately, Chicken only cooks to medium-rare at 140f. There's no pink, it's all completely white. It looks >amazing<. It also still partially has the texture of raw chicken. I nearly threw up when it hit my teeth. The difference between 140 and 145 in chicken is staggering.

Yeah just because you can doesn't mean it turns out good. 150f for a bit too long seems to be my magic number for chicken (seriously like six hours and a pan sear, it's incredible), but I love the science/math kind of poo poo you can apply to all of it.

Low temp chicken is usable, but not at all good.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

iRend posted:

I usually do my chicken at 140. I've never done it for more than a few hours though.

Doesn't it get mushy after 6 hours at 150? I cooked a steak for 6 hours at 132 and it was on the border of being too soft.

e: while at the same time being the most amazing piece of meat i've cooked yet.

I got distracted and seared one side for 30 seconds too long :(

Yeah the margin of error for chicken's pretty broad, you don't hit mush or grossness until a good bit longer than that. 6 hours at 150 gets it nice and traditionally firm, but still plenty juicy.

Beef does really well at the low temp, long time mix. I've got a London broil in right now at 127, gonna be ready in like seven hours. Also, cheap pork shoulder at 135 for ~24 hours makes great pulled pork.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Data Graham posted:

I still treasure the time I looked in the butter section of the supermarket and there was a variety of butter that was labeled "50% LESS FAT" than the regular version of the same brand of butter.

I looked at the nutrition info and everything was exactly the same except the serving size was halved.

Microwave ramen cooker, reduces sodium by half!*

*because the instructions tell you to only use a half packet of seasoning.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

The Bloop posted:

Name something (edible) that isn't a sandwich and also isn't a straight up liquid.

Un-canned (and un-cooked) spam.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

The Bloop posted:

It will be a truly desperate day when I eat off-brand Spam

Aldi Spam, like everything else at Aldi, is pretty solid and also cheap. Also, poo poo, I want Spam fingers now.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

The intense cocoa flavor of the fudge makes it a great accompaniment to his world-famous chili, which he makes by taking a jar of mayonnaise and dipping a spoon into it.

At least it doesn’t have beans in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

sneakyfrog posted:

you can jazz it up by pouring it in the trash and making a proper cheese sauce you heathen. (I really like a good mac and cheese, and the idea of the orange powder is depressing as all gently caress)

True story, for cheap boxed mac and cheese with a little extra effort I made a bechamel last week and added the cheese powder to it, along with some fresh mozzarella and shredded cheddar, then put that on the macaroni.

It was actually really, really good. Managed to be the best of both worlds of "actual food" and "thing I got for 12 cents". :unsmith: