Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Wallpaper paste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Bob Loblaw's hog logs?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I had a tube of Swedish stuff that was like shrimp Cheez Whiz or something and it was magnificent in its awfulness.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It depends on the potato and what you're doing with it. Like if you want a really smooth fluffy mashed potato, you're going to want to ditch the skin. But there are other situations where you get the skin all crispy and magical. And then say you have red potatoes, the skin tastes really good on those and never becomes tough so there's no reason to peel.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Another mashed potato thing if you haven't before, throw in a bunch of peeled garlic cloves when you boil and just mash 'em up with the potatoes. And your potato boiling water should be well salted. A lot of bland is just not salting enough or not adding acids. Lemon juice is good for mashed potatoes, but add it during mashing not during boiling--acid strengthens pectin and makes the potatoes not mashy enough.

Or be French and just put in all the butter and cream.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I have a compulsion to try horrible things and would absolutely eat at least one bite of Taco Bell lasagna.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

You can turn spaghetti into something very close to a ramen noodle by adding a little baking soda to the cooking water.

Also given the things people in Asia do to western food you shouldn't ever feel bad about doing the same the other way.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Roro posted:

Did they seriously use broccoli as a garnish?

Seen it many times in Asia.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Force de Fappe posted:

Sometimes I wonder if the Philipines should be the official country of this thread, but there's so much delicious food there but there's also this kind of stuff. They do weeeeeeirrrrd stuff with cheese.

East Asia should be. Between the things the Philippines, Japan, and Korea do nothing else measures up.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I am from the midwest, what you describe is unfamiliar to me. I grew up mostly with Italian, Chinese, and Japanese food. And barbecue.

This pizza contains, from left to right: shrimp, squid or cuttlefish (same word), hot dogs, "tong bacon steak" I have no idea what that means, steak, and a crust stuffed with your choice of cranberry or apple cinnamon cream cheese. Being a Korean pizza, the crust will also be undercooked and the sauce very sweet, and I am sure there's corn and mayonnaise in there.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

You should at least try it as intended. How would you know you want to add salt or whatever if you didn't do that, anyway?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Cumslut1895 posted:

Can you even get Milo outside of NZ/UK

It's super popular in Southeast Asia and has just started appearing in stores here in China.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

What I don't get about the picture of instant ramen with a can of tuna is like, we've all done this but why would you take a picture to preserve your shame for others?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Food got a lot better in the past 20 years or so. Hate as much as you want but celebrity chefs/chef culture and hipsters did a huge amount of good for food in the US, alongside the Guy Fieris and artisinal moonshine of the world.

Also definitely something to be said for the role of that English protestant/puritanical streak in US culture that puts an air of suspicion on pleasurable things.

Grand Fromage has a new favorite as of 10:27 on Aug 6, 2016

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I hadn't thought about how weird pre-internet cooking seems now. It's totally normal to see some thing I've never heard of from Japan that looks great, hop on youtube and watch a Japanese person make it, then go do it. That's such a new thing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Ingredient availability's so much better too. I remember being a little kid and going to the exotic Asian market with my Chinese friend's family, a hidden place in a random strip mall without a word of English anywhere, just to find real basic poo poo that you can pick up in the international aisle of any Kroger now.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

El Estrago Bonito posted:

But seriously there's a huge problem with Japanese young people not knowing how to cook, it's ultra depressing. Gonna have an entire generation of people with wicked bad hypertension because they can't cook anything that isn't Ramen, curry cubes or frozen TV dinners. A lot of it has to do with ingrained cultural sexism, a lot of the young women I met were like "oh I can't cook, that's what you learn to do when you get a husband and leave all your job prospects behind to raise kids!" and a lot of guys who's opinion was basically "i'm going to live out of the 7-11 until I land me one of them wives that does all the cookin".

This part is exactly the same in Korea. I was all excited to have Korean friends teach me to cook things but in my years there I met literally one Korean who could cook at all.

Most Koreans view cooking as a thing you start to learn when you get married and move out of your parents' place.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

What the gently caress is even happening here

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Hey look Korean Italian food

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

Enjoy you compressed and reconstituted mould particles! (Mycoprotein, microfungus etc. literally are just marketing terms for industrially cultivated mould of a particular strain)

This is some sci fi space food poo poo I had no idea about.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

Yes the wall will have its own place setting too

Elijah hasn't had dinner for a while, he's really thin.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Zipperelli. posted:

So I don't know how widespread this is, but apparently this is actually a thing. Supposedly, if you cook chicken to exactly done, temperature-wise, it'll still actually be somewhat pink in the middle, and there are places that actually serve it like this.

A buddy of mine had some, and he said it was actually pretty drat good. The texture was different, and it had a different taste.

Again, I don't know how true this all is, but a cursory Google search has this article: http://www.esquire.com/food-drink/food/how-to/a10797/eating-raw-chicken-0911/

YMMV, of course.

Yes, there are two factors. One is that if the chicken is raised properly it won't be any more dangerous than beef and you can eat it raw if you want. There are chicken sashimi places all over Japan that do this. The other is that the FDA temperature guidelines are extremely conservative, what they give you is the temp which will sterilize (log 7 reduction, technically--one in one million bacteria can survive) the meat instantly. So you can cook chicken to that temperature for one second, OR you can bring it to a lower temp, say 140, and hold it there a few minutes and you'll achieve the same result in killing the bacteria. You can end up with fairly pink looking chicken that way but it's perfectly safe.

I do not think either of those apply to that guy but it is A Thing.

E: Also people are just paranoid about chicken. It is the most likely of the common meats to be dangerous, but it's still very unlikely. I think it's something like a 1 in 30,000 chance, compared to like near zero with beef. Salmonella poisoning really sucks though.

Grand Fromage has a new favorite as of 16:03 on Aug 21, 2016

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Metaline posted:

Twenty years ago, my mother was at a fancy restaurant at a fancy resort and ordered a fancy dish with egg in it. When it arrived, the yolk looked white, and she asked the waiter what kind of bird it was from because she had never seen a white yolk before. He went to ask about it. Then the (angry, French) chef came stomping out of the kitchen and told her that the egg came from a "boy chicken". No one could get a better translation. She didn't eat it. I wish I had a photo.

"Male fish roe" is a thing I have been served in Asia. I've seen bowls of just fish jizz, but the thing I had (and was told after I ate it what it was) were like the sacks where the semen is produced and kept? It wasn't like mammal testicles at all, they looked kind of like walnuts but were squishy. I don't know how cod balls work.

It didn't really taste like anything. Welp that's my story.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Picnic Princess posted:

Plus consuming blood satiates my black, dead heart.

:same:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

InediblePenguin posted:

Aren't you supposed to have more rice than protein, though? I don't see what's weird about the quantities.

In Asia that would be standard, yeah. It's the big difference in eating, when us honkeys go out we clean the vegetable/meat plates and get through half of one rice bucket but the neighboring tables will usually pound through multiple rices and leave half their other food behind. The rice is the meal, the rest of it are sides.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Welp. I wondered if my compulsion to try weird food had any limits, and now you've made me realize that it does.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The grilled cheese bun thing just looks like a giant patty melt, and patty melts are awesome so it's not that weird.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Murphy Brownback posted:

difficult to eat unless your jaw can unhinge like a snake.

Does yours not?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Chicken and octopus require totally different cooking times and temperatures, that's just dumb man.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Here's some personal AFP, an actual steak I was served at a restaurant (which I did not choose to go to and fortunately didn't pay for) here in Glorious China.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It also was not the worst steak I've been served in Asia.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I thought we were talking about a New York thing, I've definitely had those there.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Panfilo posted:

This is true. Using fresh pressed garlic gives a dish a much more pronounced garlic flavor compared to using Whole cloves. I'm guessing cutting or crushing the garlic releases a lot of the oils, which is what does it.

Yeah the chemical that produces the pungent garlickyness is in the cells, and the more cells you rupture the more pungent it gets. Whole cloves that have been roasted are tasty but lack the sharpness. Take a whole head of garlic sometime, cut the top off and drown it in olive oil, then roast it at low temperature in the oven for an hour or so. Eat with a spoon. It's fantastic.

One of the cool things about garlic is how much you can change the flavor just by cutting it in different ways, before you even start cooking it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The colors are weird and washed out but otherwise that looks totally normal.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

poop dood posted:

Speaking of AFP dreams, about a month ago I had a really awful dream in which I had to eat a bunch of raw horse eggs. They were big and brown and leathery, and instead of the normal egg situation they were full of countless small individual yolks rather than one yolk surrounded by the white. They smelled awful, like rancid meat and plastic. Plus they were from male horses, and for that reason they were known as "dearth eggs".

I keep remembering that dream and getting viscerally grossed out to the point of almost physically gagging. Also it's weird that my subconscious mind knew the word "dearth", but pretty much every other aspect of this situation is weirder than that.

eat the eggs poop dood

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's not a dessert pizza, it's an Asian pizza. So besides the visible tomatoes/olives with the fruit it's on fake cheese that makes a Kraft single seem classy and probably has ketchup for a sauce.

A dessert pizza with sweetened crust dough + cream cheese + fruit or whatever is fine yeah.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Xen Tricks posted:

Unless I'm missing something these, uh, "pizzas" cost roughly $0.36?

30 yuan is around $5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006