Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

ohrwurm posted:

I started up COD4 on my 360 about a year ago wanting some of that fun MP experience that I had on release. Every game I managed to find was hacked to hit, rapid fire tube grenades flying everywhere, etc.

Fun note, this is exactly why I gave up on MW2 multiplayer on PC. Could never find a game that didn't have at least one aimbotter or some guys boosting each other to end each round with a nuke - I don't think I ever saw a legit nuke in that game.
Then there was that one game where weird random poo poo happened like one-shot kills and billions of experience per kill.

Good to see this is happening now. I got into the series with MW2, but I picked up this one as soon as I could and I have to say I probably enjoyed it more than the other two in either mode. I mean I had to run the .exe directly and skip Steam to play multiplayer properly because Punkbuster made it crash all the drat time and my ammo count would keep getting blocked with notifications from my friends going into a chorus of "why are you playing cod you know i hate that", but still it was fun. I ended up leveling up from the start to level 55 twice thanks to my save somehow corrupting itself and I only really minded it because one of my favorite guns is, as always, drat near the last thing unlocked.

I won't have much to contribute to the thread in the manner of Databases of poo poo or whatever, unless people really want to know stuff about the M4 or whatever (I LPed this game myself for LPF on Viddler, was thinking of redoing it on Youtube and put together stuff for all the guns in the game before I lost interest). Though I do have some thoughts on some of the missions and intel and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

I just remembered something I wanted to note about The Coup. There's an interesting bit that's pretty notable, but also pretty easy to miss the importance of.

Alright, scene setup, you're in the middle of the capital. Al-Asad is surrounded by his own people, all armed and on the lookout and all that poo poo.

Zakhaev, in the middle of what is soon to be Al-Asad's capital, surrounded by his bodyguards, points his gun at Al-Asad. Al-Asad steps back in surprise and worry before Zakhaev turns the gun around to hand it over for the execution. It's a nice little detail showing how their business relationship actually works, and who's really in charge.

Also,

EDIT: I've also just remembered one other thing that I really like about CoD4 compared to the other games.

The M21.

It's essentially the best non-assault rifle in the campaign - often silenced, pretty much guaranteed one-hit kills, little recoil. And unlike the later games, you actually get to use it more than once! As I've noted in other threads, I have A Thing about the M14 and its ilk, so every other game in existence only letting me use it for five minutes once or twice across the entire game kind of pisses me off. Here, drat near every time the game expects you to snipe people it gives you the M21, and it never loses its effectiveness so you can use the thing for the entire mission if you like.

It's an early unlock in multiplayer, too (like before level 10), and with the ACOG scope it works pretty well as a lower-capacity alternative to the regular M14 until you grind out to like level 45 or so.

Kadorhal fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 5, 2016

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

I don't know what you're talking about, the best perk was clearly Overkill. gently caress using a pistol as your sidearm, take a suppressed Mini-Uzi. Or take two guns in the same caliber, you'd have more ammo than one could reasonably burn through at once.

EDIT: One of the advantages of this game is that it came out early enough in the 360's life-span that nobody really had any idea how to handle DLC and the like for PC as on consoles. All the DLC and stuff the console versions had to pay for? PC users got it all for free in updates. They also got a Christmas-themed version of another map, set at night with Christmas lights all over, they even replaced the models and sounds for the Airstrike killstreak with Santa for that one map.

I can also confirm from remembering my time playing the game that the maps in that pack were the most popular. Every other server was running Killhouse or Broadcast 24/7.

EDIT 2: Also, RPD was a loser, M60 was where it was at. Stick an ACOG on it and it was a beast that killed anything at any range.

Kadorhal fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Mar 8, 2016

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

What pisses me off about the shotgun issue is that they'll actively ignore actual bugs over it. What's that, a submachine gun deals better damage at range than the assault rifles and has no recoil while aiming? No, gently caress that, somebody managed to brute-force his way into making a kill with the M1014 and we gotta make sure that never happens again.

Kadorhal fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 6, 2016

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

2.These days multiplayer matches have a very tenuous balance until one person gets killed by the grenade launcher, when then makes them start using it in retaliation which then spirals the whole lobby out of control. Making most objective game modes a complete joke because the objective points will just explode every so often leading to nothing being accomplished.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Counter-Strike players have lived with this since 1999. To quote Sun Tzu, "you break the auto ice, you pay the auto price." :sperg:

I've noticed recently this happens in a lot of games. This other Minecraft-FPS type game I've been into, Blockstorm, has the same sort of thing with the sniper rifle. It only holds one bullet at a time with 9 in reserve, is the only weapon that requires you to lead your shots, and requires a steady hand to get the scope to drift where you want it to, so except for one person identified as the community's Sniper Queen™ (it's a pretty small community) nobody really uses it as their primary weapon 100% of the time - but it's also an instant kill if you hit a guy anywhere, so once someone does take it out and make a kill with it, that guy retaliates by switching to the sniper rifle themselves, and it shortly devolves into the pace slowing down considerably as everybody uses the same gun, until someone gets a lucky killing spree with one of the automatics (and even then some people might just switch out for the Uzi as their secondary so they have an automatic - not like extra weight is gonna hinder a camper).

That said, I still take some pride in that if only because I made a semi-popular skin for the sniper rifle. drat near every time I got killed with a sniper rifle for a long time, it was somebody using my Lightning Gun from UT2004.

Also, definitely count me in for any CoD4 multiplayer shenanigans.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

It can't possibly be any worse than World at War refusing to let you play co-op with someone if you don't have the exact same operating system, like what kept me from being one of the first two human beings to actually play that game's campaign co-op.

Or even refusing to let you run it at all if you install it on a different computer that's running a different OS than what you had on your own computer when you first installed the game. I'm pretty sure I set some kind of record for install-to-uninstall time when I tried to play it on my bro's laptop three years back.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Kopijeger posted:

One little thing I remember from these levels where you fight as part of the SAS is that sometimes you can hear enemies shout about "amerikantsy". It could be deliberate design - the ultranationalist assume any foreigners fighting them are Americans, or it might be a relic from an earlier stage in development where you actually fought as a US soldier in those levels.

I'm willing to believe it's intentional, that the ultranationalist soldiers can tell you're speaking English but can't discern American and British English, if only because I've heard that they apparently do also sometimes shout "SAS".

Granted, my source for that is TV Tropes, and as I've said before they may as well be deliberately refusing to get quotes and the like right considering how rarely they do, so they could have just been bullshitting me.

EDIT: If you will I'd like to take a moment to talk about things IW gets wrong.

Alright, so the thing is that the wireframe model for the AC-130 actually shown is the AC-130H "Spectre", depicted with two M61 Vulcan cannons, but the info given is for the AC-130U "Spooky", which instead has a single 25mm GAU-12.

Here's the thing - while the actual gameplay only has you using a single gun, which is identified as a 25mm, everybody in the world thinks you're in the Spectre instead of the Spooky. Apparently people are so quick to jump on IW for getting things wrong that they'll completely ignore the times they get things right, even sort-of. There's similar poo poo involving the LMGs and their reloading animations, but I imagine (or would like to) that's pretty well known these days.

Kadorhal fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 13, 2016

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

I've gotta agree, Crossfire was always my favorite. Well, that and Shipment, if only because the increased number of players on the PC version could make it just magical. For those who haven't/didn't play the PC version, this is what you've been missing.

Hardcore mode I never played all that much. Black Ops was the only game where I felt I needed to just to be able to actually damage enemies without the game pretending my bullets always redirected themselves into my own face.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Polaron posted:

Seal Team Six getting namedropped there is a little weird in hindsight. I don't think I'd ever heard of them until they killed bin Laden, but here they are years before that getting mentioned going after a different Middle Eastern dictator.

I'd heard of them before, but in fairness because they're the ones meant for counter-insurgency and the like, they are the most famous of the SEAL teams. So,

The Casualty posted:

You must not have played much Counter Strike

basically this.

The fun thing about the nuke is that this is essentially the result of half the Marine campaign getting cut. Given how the series turned out for years afterwards, it's kind of funny that the first CoD game with more than c. 18 months of development going for it had cut content, but there's a surprising amount of it, and a lot of it revolved around the Marine campaign. In particular there were supposed to be a pair of missions where you played as entirely different characters from Jackson - one where you were a Marine sniper (hence why the M40A3 doesn't show up anywhere in singleplayer - it's pretty much all M21 all the time) and I believe one where you were to be the pilot of a Super Cobra as the Marine equivalent of the AC-130 level.

I remember there's also "Full-A" text on one of the leftover images for what one of those two maps would have been, which indicates that select-fire like in the first CoD was going to be a thing again - there were plans to implement it as an attachment or something for years after that game even though I'm the only human being who used it and even then only for two guns, but they never got around to it until Black Ops 2 like five years after this game.

So, yeah, half a campaign got cut, and what we got in its place was one of the most famous single events in any game of that decade. Impressive when you think about it.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

From a story standpoint this is an interesting mission because it's doing the "SAS and Loyalist Russians working together" thing again, which is more prominent here than the first time because you get an Mi-28 as support to blow a bunch of people up.

From a gameplay standpoint it's one of my two least-favorite levels in the game, if not the entire series, because it's a difficult slog. I mentioned before, at least to Lazyfire, I did an LP of this game myself back in like 2010-2011 when Viddler was the video host people used to get away from Youtube, and for this mission I pretty much cut everything between the first death - which from my recollection was at maximum two minutes in - and stacking up on the farmhouse because I couldn't make it interesting. Plus side is it started a minor trend for my videos where I'd replace long sections of boring bullshit with a random PSA bump from Adult Swim.
If you recall one of my last posts in the Republic Commando thread, where I mentioned "Azerbaijan" is one of my trigger-words for video game PTSD, this level is why.

fake edit: I heard one of the bad guys shout for a Viktor before you shot him. Apparently a friend of that guy from Blackout?

Also, on the subject of trivia: when Price executes Al-Asad here, his pistol makes the same sound as the Desert Eagle so it sounds more "dramatic".

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

the thing about the high system requirements was that IT DIDN'T NEED THEM. It required 6 gigs of RAM to run, even though it only used about 3-4 gigs with everything on high

Well, except for the part where even systems that did have the recommended requirements were still brought to a chugging slideshow whenever it did something new*, like the "dual-render" scopes where just the view within an optic would zoom while your peripheral vision stayed the same as normal, apparently with five metric fucktons of unnecessary depth-of-field (that is the only way I can conceive that somebody could possibly gently caress that up that badly).

*I say new because it's new to the series, but the way they hyped it there's probably CoD fanboys out there who think it's never been done before.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

mostly because the helicopter flat out refuses to fire at people in that building for me.

Every friendly gunship in any game ever has been a minor disappointment after that time I called one in on Overgrown and the kill feed registered every kill I made with it as a headshot.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

The Brick Blaster and "Select a location" are interesting because their melee animations were smacking people with the gun itself, indicating they were going to keep that up from the WWII games before they settled for the quick-knife that ended up being ubiquitous across the genre.

I also like how one weapon and two multiplayer maps ended up being recycled for MW2. The AT4 in particular was pretty much completely finished for this game, they just forgot to actually give it to you at any point. Too bad, too, cause it could lock onto aircraft in MW2 and given the bullshit the RPG-7 put me through in this game, I really could have used something like that.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

ninjahedgehog posted:

and completely forgets about the Alaska and LA fronts from one of the briefing screens.

In fairness, I believe those were supposed to be "phantom" dots on America's radar systems so they'd be looking the wrong way or something when the Russians actually hit the East Coast. I remember in that cutscene the stations around Alaska and LA were completely nonchalant but the guy around DC was like "THEY'RE EVERYWHERE :byodood:".

The Casualty posted:

I tried for a long time to get a Nuke in MW2. Then I got three in one weekend. Chopper Gunner helped, I'll admit.

I never got a Nuke in MW2.

Hell, I never saw a legit nuke in MW2. Every time I did see one it was because of either an invincible hacker or a pair of assholes boosting each other to end every round with one.

MW3 was a bit different, I actually managed to call a MOAB in once or twice, but that was in Infected mode where it's far easier to get 20+ killing sprees since all the enemies have nothing but a knife. I got accused of hacking once simply because I was the only one not glitching myself up on top of the buses in that one map at the subway station and therefore was the one actually killing everybody.

EDIT: There's a fun thing about that AK you randomly get in One Shot, One Kill.

See, the game isn't really consistent on what carries over between All Ghillied Up and that mission. Your M21 makes the jump, minus its ghillie camouflage and suppressor, but little else does. Pretty much everything else that was available to you in All Ghillied Up turns into an AK for One Shot, One Kill... except for an actual AK, which instead turns into an unsuppressed USP.
The fun thing about the AK, too, if you get one for One Shot, One Kill, at least for most of the mission it kills enemies in a single bullet for some reason.

EDIT 2: Also, the sniper rifle everyone really used the ACOG with was the M40A3 - it increased the weapon's base power slightly, enough so that with Stopping Power it was basically a guaranteed one-shot kill no matter where you hit a guy with it. Nobody used the R700 because even when the crosshair was right over a guy sometimes a shot just wouldn't register as a hit for no reason.

Kadorhal fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 24, 2016

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Overall this level had great atmosphere but the tactic of shove your face into McMillan's butt as closely as possible during the mandatory sneaking segments kind of spoiled it.

I never found a better way to do those segments since I am Bad at stealth.

Yeah, same here. When I did my LP the same thing happened as with Lazyfire here, I tried to hide right behind MacMillan and I got caught the first time anyway because of that one loving rear end in a top hat that's basically programmed to walk in your direction and discover you.

Also, I reinstalled CoD4 and started playing some multiplayer again yesterday (starting over from the beginning since my old mpdata file seems to have disappeared entirely) thanks to this LP. I've gotta say, you were right about the RPD. I gave it a shot soon as I got Create-a-Class unlocked and it was pretty rockin'. Although I still stand by my point that the M60 is also really good, I managed to grab one with a red dot off a guy once or twice and did pretty well with that too.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Next Saturday should be good for me too. I've got something I'm doing that morning, but I should be free for the night after that.

As for these missions. For me, Heat is nothing more than a daylight version of Safehouse. Just as hard, just as PTSD-inducing. Unrelated, I seem to recall somehow getting a Javelin missile stuck on the roof of the barn once, like I fired it and it just clunked ont he roof. The weird thing is I remember taking damage as if it exploded even though it didn't. Although, on the cut-content front, there's lines in the files about going to rescue Mac after he gets hit covering you at the tavern.

Sins of the Father I've got nothing on, except this. Well, also, if you look close, in the briefing for it you can see Zakhaev's son is holding the MP44 model from multiplayer.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

There are actually quite a large number of guns in this one, though not as many as the following games. Lazyfire touched on this in a few videos, but the problem in CoD4's campaign is that there's only one or two variants of most guns that you can pick up, and being Russians, they are obligated to carry 8 million AK47s wherever they go. It's a wonder we even see the G3, RPD and MP5 at all. I'm very glad they fixed this in the CoDs after this and adding the ability to customize your campaign loadout is a wonderful feature that should have been in the games from the start.

I think part of the reason it feels like there's so few guns in this game is because a good chunk of them are restricted to multiplayer, and the only real variation you get in attachments is with the M4. The AK-47 and MP5 only ever get the grenade launcher and suppressor respectively, and the latter case you never even see that past the cargo ship. The G36 is never seen in any variation except for with a unique red dot scope, while there's a grand total of one P90 in the entire game that has any attachments. G3 and RPD don't even get that. M16A4 you can only use if you let a Marine using one die, even then it's only in two of the four Marine missions and again it only ever comes with the grenade launcher if it's modified at all. I can't recall the AK-74U or Dragunov showing up where the player can grab them except for that table of weapons in the first Marine mission (though keep in mind I haven't touched singleplayer myself in a couple years). Deagle only shows up twice, once in the hands of an NPC you can't grab it from; same for the M60. M14 and M40A3 are completely AWOL.

Comparing this game's multiplayer arsenal to that of Black Ops II, the results are pretty even; that game at best only has one or two more guns per category than this one does. Hell, there's actually more sniper rifles here than in that game.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Vicissitude posted:

Apparently so. I thought the M240 was in it as well, but that didn't show up until MW2. And if I recall, the silencer is bugged on it there and didn't hide your location for some reason. So you get reduced damage for no benefit except to do the Silencer challenges :v:

I remember reading that the M9 had the same bug. The MG4, as well.

Conversely, combine a suppressor and an underbarrel shotgun on an assault rifle and the loud-rear end shotgun won't make you show up on radar.

EDIT: Honestly, this thread and getting back into CoD4 multiplayer alongside it is kind of making me want to go back to some of the other games too. MW2 in particular, even though I remember it being inundated with hackers and that whole IWNET thing actively working against attempts to avoid them short of saying "well fine then I won't play the game mode I want to play right now". Maybe it's misplaced nostalgia, considering MW2 was the first one I played online. That and the SCAR-H is one of the earliest weapons, I don't think I've yet played a game where the SCAR really let me down any worse than anything else.

EDIT 2: Also, Gaz's animation for cutting that hole in the fence? Interesting as it is that's actually reused. One of the Marines in The Bog used it, don't think Lazyfire caught that.

Kadorhal fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 31, 2016

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

It's been a long while since I touched the end of the campaign, but I'm seeing a lot of poo poo in this level I never noticed myself in any of my playthroughs. I never knew about that wall you could blow up with C4, or that area with the two G36s near some crates.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

EDIT: I do take a strange amount of pride in how many times I got killed with my own weapons starting from the halfway point. You note one detail about what the ACOG does to a machine gun and suddenly you have the best guns, apparently.

Kadorhal fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 3, 2016

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

I like that one of the propeller pieces from that Hind just flew right into your face at the end of the campaign. Guess that's Soap dead too!

EDIT: I'm assuming that's me on the preview image for the multiplayer video just prior to dying via impact from a 40mm grenade, yes? I've never felt more popular than playing this game with goons.

Kadorhal fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 5, 2016

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Tofu Survivor posted:

You think the SAW is bad? The M60 is about a million times worse. It's almost mandatory to run M60 with a red dot if you want to actually see what you're doing.

No kidding. You saw how I hipfired Lazyfire to death with it at the end of that first multiplayer video? That was basically how I had to use it all the time until I got the red dot. I didn't even bother trying the grip out to see how it handled the recoil, partly because I like running LMGs in this game with Bandolier, but mostly because there was no way in hell I was going back to those iron sights.

I've been playing the original Black Ops on my PS3 now too, and while the M60 is basically using the exact same model from this game, by virtue of simply swapping out the rear sight for some wider aftermarket thingy its unmodified form is miles better in that game.

biosterous posted:

You can totally shoot the guy in the head at the end of Mile High Club. If you wait a second or two the hostage will bump into him and he'll stumble and his head is a nice clear target.

If you're playing on Veteran, shooting him anywhere except the head causes you to fail; the explanation you get is something to the effect of "veterans only get headshots".

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

I remember this map mostly for a pair of sniper shots that happened while I was playing at various points.

One was when I somehow got two headshots with one bullet from my M21.

The other was when I got up from prone to sprint across one of the two bridges and immediately stood up in between an ally and the enemy sniper that promptly killed us both.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Pipeline is a map I like. Not as much as some others, but it at least doesn't inspire the same sort of reaction I get when Downpour shows up on heavily-populated servers and I'm like "god damnit, really?"

Although nowadays the map is more notable in a meta sense because I'm pretty sure one of the two warehouses from it was reused almost unmodified in a Modern Warfare 3 campaign level.

EDIT: also love how CQC noted the variety of weapons being used that weren't LMGs, right as Lazyfire switches to the M249 and I'd been running around for the first minute with my M60. All we needed was someone else piping up that they were using the RPD.

Kadorhal fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 9, 2016

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

I always liked Shipment on the more populated maps simply because if you could survive the initial clusterfuck of more grenades than have been produced in the real world long enough to just back off from your spawnpoint and hide in a corner, you'd inevitably get like five bad guys in a row spawning right in front of you sooner or later to just gun down in a quarter of a second. It was the quickest way to grind out attachments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

biosterous posted:

Play Shipment, but pistols only. Yell at anyone who uses a different gun.

(I don't have this on PC so I can't join in, but it's a fun thing to do)

for certain values of fun

It'd be like that server I once saw in the Halo demo that advertised itself as having a "no Shees" mod but which didn't actually remove Banshees, everyone just joined in a chorus of "NO SHEES" whenever you jumped into one.

I'd be down for another multiplayer night.

• Locked thread