Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
I played this one and I liked it, I played World at War and liked it, but I still think the first one was the apex of the CoD franchise. It was a very cool Counterstrike killer and I played it more than any non-Battlefield shooter.

I consider the most recent entries in the series to be a lazy and unforgivable chain of cash-ins that don't enrich the genre and don't advance the art of game design at all. The only video game franchise I can think of off hand that might be lazier is Madden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Back in the day though, CoD multiplayer was very Counterstrike-ish (I'm talking original CS, I haven't played CSGO so don't know what it's like).

The first CoD multiplayer had no respawns in its default setting and took place on smallish maps. It was very tense and reminded me of a better Counterstrike with a WWII setting and iron sights, firing cones, going prone, and an overall more realistic feel.

The two series have diverged hugely since then, and even by the time of Modern Warfare they were hugely different. I guess what I'm saying is that despite CoD becoming kind of the poster child for a same-from-sequel-to-sequel franchise, the first couple actually evolved quite a bit between titles with Modern Warfare probably being the biggest evolution. After that, they got pretty same-y.

• Locked thread