Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Froglight
Oct 5, 2010

John: So tell me a little bit about your early military career with the Kerians.

Samus: Should I start with my basic training? Or...?

John: I think we should start with your transition from the temple. What happened after they told you all that you would be subject to the draft?

Samus: Well, I didn't know anything about it until I had already finished all of my schooling. I had passed my last exams and had already signed a contract with a starship refueling outpost. I was going to be a manager. I was about as optimistic about my future as a sixteen year old girl can be.

John: Can I get a date for this time?

Samus: Sure, it was the Summer of 9778, Larean Calender. I don't know what you-

John: It's fine, I can convert it.

Samus: Okay cool.

John: Thanks.

Samus: No problem. So usually every year for the graduating class of temple girls there's a career fair, and all these employers and recruiters come and set up little tables, with pamphlets and terminals, and they have all these presentations and pitches. I had worked at these fairs every year since I was able to carry a folding chair, setting up screens and speakers for these employers, so that they could recruit my older sisters. Now it was my turn, and I clutched my sloppy little resume while my little sisters ran around with those same folding chairs. I remember having this really sharp moment of envy for them. As discontented and adventurous as I was, the real-ness having to actually find a place for myself in the galaxy was starting to feel pretty...heavy.

John: Were there ever any military recruiters there?

Samus: No, no, not before the shift in power, and the draft. The sisters absolutely would not allow it.
I remember my early years working the fairs. There were a handful of legitimate job opportunities; way less than there should have been, we were all qualified and ready for so much more. The older girls would compete like crazy over them anyway. Dignity is the ultimate luxury, after all. When I was twelve years old I remember there was this handsome celebrity doctor who was looking for an apprentice, and he toured our temple with a camera crew. Amara Vey wound up throwing Tia Scoshina down a flight of stairs after she lost some stupid rear end challenge game held by the doctor. After that the Mother found her shame and cut out almost half of that exploitative crap from the career fairs.

By the time I was fourteen, the job fairs got worse in a big way. The war machine had really gotten warmed up in our system, and the sisters were still doing absolutely everything they could to keep us out of it, but that was where all the good jobs were. Those years I watched graduating sisters sign up for jobs that were very much beneath them. For what we were, and for what we knew, and could do, it was ridiculous. The greatest minds I have ever known were signing ten year contracts to clean passenger ships.

John: You must have been frustrated, but you were all raised by pacifist nuns. How did you all feel about the war? Did any of you actually want to be recruited?

Samus: Well it was sort of the ultimate rebellious fantasy for us. We used to talk so much poo poo about it because we felt so certain that it would never happen; but yeah, there were a lot of us who really wanted to try our luck with the military. Of course we were just kids and we didn't really understand war, but to this day I still understand that desire. 'Join the Army, see the world, gently caress your parents and anyone who doubts you'. It's not exactly a new thing.

The average 16 year old girl raised at a Larean Temple can speak, read, and write in four languages; lifts weights every day; runs every day; eats a perfect diet; has a doctors understanding of chemistry and biology, and doesn't have a clue what all their effort and self-discipline is going toward. Self betterment without a purpose is the Larean doctine, and it's also the perfect way to drive a human absolutely crazy. We used to joke about how the sisters who signed up as stewardesses on passenger spaceliners would last less than a year before they'd craft a guerilla toothpaste bomb and blow open an airlock mid-cruise.

John: It sounds like you were all ripped geniuses. I could see myself wanting some Larean orphans in my army if I was a general.

Samus: We were ripped little smartasses, for sure. I never really knew how over the bar we were until I was processed by the Kerian Military. My sisters and I were given a general aptitude test, and harder tests after that, and more after that. Before we went to boot camp a Colonel visited us and asked us all to sign waivers. At the time we figured they were just "Hey, you're smart." waivers. I learned later that they were the same waivers that civilian medical doctors and other high professionals have to sign to legally retrograde themselves down to recruit status so they can become soldiers.

John: That had to feel pretty validating, at least.

Samus: I guess so. I have so many mixed feelings about basically everything when it comes to the war, and my early years involved. If you think about where I am now, and the things I've done, and still plan to do; you might not think that I feel any sort of loyalty toward the Kerian State, and I guess I don't; but I'll always be glad that I got dropped into that absolute jungle of a military where I found a way to become what I am now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
lmao

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
good poo poo op

• Locked thread