Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Jesus Christ.

It's still bent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Mors Rattus posted:

Because another law references how you need to cover your buttocks, and they needed to legally define buttocks.

They went for the longest and most obtusely precise definition possible.

I wonder if that affects medical education at all. If states can define different body parts differently, are doctors in those states trained to recognize body parts differently than those in other states?

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Jesus Christ.

It's still bent.

They had to have replaced it in 5 years, surely. Even if it did just get turned into an employee area.

Wait.

It's not bent in this photo here, unless I'm jumping to conclusions I think we may have found the actual murder weapon.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Dirk the Average posted:

I wonder if that affects medical education at all. If states can define different body parts differently, are doctors in those states trained to recognize body parts differently than those in other states?
Likely not, since there's no reason for medical texts and curricula to incorporate legal definitions like these; they're legal constructs for the legalistic purpose of more specifically defining a crime or ordinance so it doesn't run afoul of the Constitutional requirement against vagueness. If you're wondering about malpractice liability, tort law generally holds that you apply a generally recognized standard of care, so technical legal definitions like these don't play into it since health care givers would use medically useful definitions in their practice. I'm sure someone with enough time and an unlimited Westlaw/Nexis subscription can find a cite in some state trial court where it might have hinged on whether it was or wasn't the butt, but I'm not that bored (or rich, that sort of sub is expensive!)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Jabor posted:

Interestingly, while the intention of the exclusions is somewhat obvious, a (presumably unintentional) inversion of one of the clauses means that "buttocks", in Florida, actually just means the rear end in a top hat itself.

I'm not actually sure that's unintentional. Florida's got no interest in outlawing thongs, just people being naked, I think.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

They had to have replaced it in 5 years, surely. Even if it did just get turned into an employee area.

Wait.

It's not bent in this photo here, unless I'm jumping to conclusions I think we may have found the actual murder weapon.

You're reaching, it's impossible to see if it's bent or not because there's a dead body on it.

Also, Penny said the movie set at Studio Two is exactly as it was after the accident. So they definitely didn't replace it.

Paperio
Mar 1, 2012
That's a really strange perspective for that picture. Was the camera angled up from the ground?

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Paperio posted:

That's a really strange perspective for that picture. Was the camera angled up from the ground?

Oldbag said it was a Paparazzi photo so it is entirely possible the photographer was lying on his stomach and peeking the camera up from his hiding place.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The photo was taken by a garden gnome, who will be the prosecution's star witness on day 3 of the trial.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

The dead guy being face down really bothers me about this image. The only way he'd wind up like that was if he was facing the fence when he fell on it. Meaning he had to have been pushed from behind. Which sounds a lot more like murder than an accident.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It seems like he could have tripped over the railing and turned around in mid-air.

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016
I thought someone said it was an accident during filming, and I took it to mean they were shooting a scene that called for a push up to the railing, and Hammer accidentally overdid it? Either way, it doesn't seem super out-of-place at the moment.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
I can think of all kinds of ways a guy would end up facing away from his opponent in a fight, even a choreographed one.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Does anyone have a copy of the "Hey look! Handstand!" avatar that someone made when the last thread got hung up on this question?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Nothing to see here, wrong thread.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Added Space posted:

Does anyone have a copy of the "Hey look! Handstand!" avatar that someone made when the last thread got hung up on this question?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Case 3 - Turnabout Samurai
Investigation (Day 3) - Part 2

: Think back, Nick, to the day of the murder... Mr. Hammer put on the Steel Samurai costume. Then he left from here to go to Studio Two...?
: Right.
: But why? I wonder if someone called him...? Like the director, or the producer...?

: Hey, Nick... It's Ms. Vasquez!
: Hello?
: ...
: H-E-L-L-O!

: M-Maya! You should at least try to be polite...
: ... I'm watching the clouds. ...
: (That's all she had to say, apparently...)

: Um, excuse me? Mr. Hammer came here on the day of the murder, and...
: Shh.
: ?
: Perhaps you didn't hear me. I'm watching the clouds. I'm not interested in talking to you.
: Do something, Nick! She's really ticking me off!
: (Oh dear...)

: Umm... Mr. Powers wasn't the killer!
: You don't have to cancel the Steel Samurai!
: I think I'm tired of the Steel Samurai.
: You... you did it!
: Nick! She did it! She's the killer! My Fey blood speaks to me! I know it! I know it!

: Um, I was wondering if you could tell me about Mr. Manella?
: ... If you must talk about that man... Perhaps you could talk about it in the trailer? By yourselves?
: (Oh, oh dear...)

: (She's not even looking.)
: Where.
: Wh-what?
: Where did you get that?
: I, well...
: Oldbag.
: O-Old...?
: She means the security lady, Ms. Oldbag, Nick.
: Right... anyway... Ms. Vasquez. You hid this incident from the press, didn't you? And you used it to control Mr. Hammer!
: ... The wind.
: The... huh?
: It's gotten stronger, don't you think? The wind. ... Your conversation interests me. Let's talk about it more, inside the trailer.

And she's off.

: Nick. She went inside the trailer.

So we will, too.

: Well then, what was that you were talking about?

: (...! Why is she so eager to talk all of a sudden?) Ms. Vasquez.

: You were blackmailing Mr. Hammer so you could control him, weren't you? That's why he was doing kids' shows for petty change!
: Hmph... So I'm a blackmailer now?
: Well, that's what it was, wasn't it?
: I mean, sure, it was an accident...
: But you used it to drag Mr. Hammer down from his rightful place as a star!
: Oh...? I haven't pulled anyone down from anywhere. Mr. Hammer's career went sour of its own accord.
: B-but!
: You were the cause! You pressured him...
: And to think it was just an accident...!

: What is this all about? You keep saying "accident," "accident"...

: What do you mean?
: Must I spell everything out for you? Think: what would it be if it wasn't an accident?
: ...! No... No way! You mean Mr Hammer did it... on purpose?

: Wh-where's your proof! Can you prove it!?
: Hmph! Just think! Would he have let me run his life for five years... over a mere accident? And I ran him hard, believe you me!
: B-but, the security lady said it was an accident!
: Oh. Well, she was a big fan of Hammer's, you see. She jumped on the reporter who brought that photo into the studio. She wrenched it out of his hands, she did. Gave him a few bruises, too.
: (... So that's why she had the photo...)
: She's an old fool. Of course, all the reporter would need is the negatives. He could have made a copy. But he didn't. The only copy of that photo is the one you hold.
: Give it to me. Now.
: W-what? This is valuable evidence!

: U-umm... Who are they...?
: Professionals. They're good at erasing... various things.
: What do you think...? Would you like to be erased?
: Wh-what!?
: The trial ends tomorrow? How unfortunate. It's a shame you'll have to miss it!
: ... Tell me why.

: This is Mr. Hammer's "dirt"... no? Why should Dee Vasquez care about it at all?
: ... I'm sure you'll have plenty of time to think about that where you're going.
: So long, friends.
: Boys, erase away.

: Dee Vasquez! You're coming down to the precinct with me, now!

: Hmph.
: Not bad. ...
: Very well. It appears this contest will be decided tomorrow then. In court. I'll be looking forward to it.

And Dee and her boys are taken away, courtesy the police.

: Sorry I was a little late with my entrance.
: I don't get many chances to practice that sorta thing.
: Detective Gumshoe...
: Thank you thank you thank you!
: I was really scared...
: Huh? Don't mention it, pal. Just doing my job. ... ...
: Detective Gumshoe?
: Sorry, it's just... I've wanted to say that line ever since I became a detective. ...

: Okay. I've got one more job to do today.
: I'm sure we'll run into each other again soon!

He heads out.

: Well, Nick. It looks like we're getting close ot the bottom of this.
: (And who's at the bottom...? Dee Vasquez!)

Next time: The Steel Samurai's final battle.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 21, 2016

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I think you have the wrong portrait for one of Gumshoe's lines near the end.

Also Gumshoe is the best, and this here proves it.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Mors Rattus posted:

: Okay. I've got one more job to do today.
: I'm sure we'll run into each other again soon!

This amuses me.

Also this is one of the few times where Gumshoe really shines at his job and it makes him (one of the many) Best Character in this series.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Fixed, whoops.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

I like her array of thugs. She has thugs of all types: bald, pompadour, slicked-back and smirking, and eyepatch+wide-brimmed hat.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I like her array of thugs. She has thugs of all types: bald, pompadour, slicked-back and smirking, and eyepatch+wide-brimmed hat.

She collects them. Maybe she has some extra copies she would trade Penny for an Ultra Rare Premium thug.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Gumshoe with the hero save.

Great job, pal. :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The best part of Vasquez's goons is that they're literally part of the scenery. Given that they have no lines, I'm inclined to believe that she just put up a movie studio prop while Phoenix and Maya weren't looking and tried to threaten them with it.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Night10194 posted:

Gumshoe with the hero save.

Great job, pal. :allears:

*removed* and apologies

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The best part of Vasquez's goons is that they're literally part of the scenery. Given that they have no lines, I'm inclined to believe that she just put up a movie studio prop while Phoenix and Maya weren't looking and tried to threaten them with it.

Isn't the judge always the same because the original GBA game had no more space on the cart to fit more sprites in? (and now we wouldn't want it any other way)
I guess an additional background occupies less space than 4 one-shot sprites.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 22, 2016

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
It's weird; this is a pretty lame bit of false suspense when you look at it from a gameplay or story perspective, but for some reason I just really appreciate Gumshoe depicted here as being, at the least, dedicated and effective at his job, if imperfect. I guess what the scene lacks in depth of writing it makes up for some in giving Gumshoe a little character development.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Dinictus posted:

Also this is one of the few times where Gumshoe really shines at his job and it makes him (one of the many) Best Character in this series.
This is the case in which various characters really come into their own.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So they won't be put on the witness stand?

All four at the same time?

Lame-rear end. 0/10 do not buy this garbage game.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

You may want to remove this part. This thread has a very strict spoiler policy and I believe even vague alluding to like this counts.

Edit: Thanks!

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 26, 2016

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah, please no discussion of future games.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Trial (Day 4) - Part 1

: Court is now in session for the trial of Mr. Will Powers.
: The prosecution is ready, Your Honor.
: The defense is ready, Your Honor.
: Today will be the final day of this trial. I hope the prosecution and the defense will be able to present decisive evidence.
: Very well, Mr. Edgeworth. Your opening statement.
: In yesterday's session, the defense presented us with a new theory for this case. He claims that the scene of the crime was, in fact, Studio Two. Today, I will call on the people present in the Studio Two trailer that day. From their testimonies, the truth will become clear.
: Hmm... very well!
: (Edgeworth seems a bit on edge today...)

: You may call your first witness, Mr. Edgeworth.
: The prosecution calls Ms. Dee Vasquez to the stand. Ms. Dee Vasquez is a producer who was present in the Studio Two trailer that day.

: Will the witness state her name and occupation?
: ... Dee Vasquez. I am a producer for Global Studios.
: On the day of the murder, you were in the trailer in Studio Two...
: As everyone here knows, yes?
: ...?
: I dislike needless banter. If you must pontificate, do it when I'm not here.
: Mrrph!
: V-very well, Ms. Vasquez. Please give the court your testimony concerning the day of the murder.
: Nick! I know she did it! Make her pay!
: R-right! (If she's guilty, I'll catch her with her pants down... So to speak.)

: Hmm...
: I have a question about one part of your testimony.
: You were "fatigued" so you had Sal "take" you...?
: The van.
: Hmm?
: There's a van at Studio Two.

: I thought it might be risky to walk, what with that monkey's head toppling over.

: I... I see!
: Very well. Mr. Wright, your cross-examination.
: This is the final battle, Nick! Let's do it!

: By yourself?
: Yes.
: And you didn't stop in at the Employee Area?
: No.
: Are you always this... terse?

: Did no one leave during the meeting?
: No one. ...
: C-come on... let's talk a bit more about that.

: The witness did not come here to engage in idle conversation!

: Stop interrupting the testimony.
: The same could be said to you, Mr. Edgeworth. And please stop banging on your little desk. It hurts my ears.
: Mmph!

: And when exactly was that?
: I've forgotten.
: Maybe you could try remembering?
: The meeting ended at 4:00, and the rehearsal was scheduled for 5:00...
: I would think it was between those times.
: (You "would think"!? C'mon, all you did was state the obvious, Edgeworth!)

: Hold on!
: You had Sal "take" you? What does that mean?
: It means what I just said. I had Sal take me in the Studio Two van.
: (Oh... oh, right.)

: And what were you doing during that time...?
: Don't hit your desk. It irritates me.

: Yeah! Mr. Wright...!
: Oops.
: ... It was a 15 minute break...

: Do you have someone who can verify this?
: Sal.
: N-no... I mean someone else?
: One person is enough.
: (If she committed murder during the break... She wouldn't have had time to eat a t-bone steak! If I had some evidence that proved she didn't eat that steak...)

Loop.

: Well, Nick? Find anything?
: I kind of wish she'd said a little more...
: It's hard. I think she's pretty used to being the boss.
: But I'm sure you'll find some kind of contradiction in what she said... somewhere!

Can you spot it?

: Hah! As I thought!
: You claim you ate a t-bone steak!

: But I say you did not!
: W-what's this, now, Mr. Wright?

: It's... a plate?
: This plate was on the table in the employee room.
: As you can see, a large bone has been left behind.
: Mr. Wright. Need I remind you it was a T-BONE STEAK!?
: Exactly my point! Remember, if you will... Ms. Vasquez and Mr. Manella ate at a table outside the trailer.

: The plates were bare!

: Ms. Vasquez?

: Tell me, how can a person eat a t-bone steak... and not leave the bone?

: You ate the bone, too!
: Um, Nick... are you sure?
: I mean, I love steak, but even I don't eat the bone!
: Hey, I don't eat it either!
: Mr. Wright! I, too, leave the bone.
: Um, can I try that again?
: I think I know how!

: Elementary! You were eating a boneless steak!
: ... Mr. Wright, say you are right... What would that prove?
: Um, right, Your Honor.
: Nick! Remember her testimony?

...hm.

: She said "bone"!
: Correct! I was... testing you!
: Yeah, sure, Nick.
: Sorry... Can I try that one more time?
: I think I know how!

: You didn't eat any steak during that break! You took your steak and threw it somewhere... like that incinerator!

: I... I see! Then what was Ms. Vasquez doing during her break?

: She was picking on Mr. Manella!
: Mr. Wright...
: Sometimes this court finds it hard to tell whether you are joking or being serious.
: Oh...?
: I would prefer it if you remained serious!
: Y-yes, Your Honor. I'll do my best.

And this drops us right where the right answer would.

: She was meeting with the Steel Samurai!

: Order!
: A-are you saying...!?
: Yes, Your Honor!

: She ran into the Steel Samurai! And then you did it.

: You killed him with your own hands!

: M-Mr. Wright! I-isn't that a little presumptuous!?

: What kind of stunt are you trying to pull, Wright!?
: Let him claim what he wants...
: You say I did it?
: Fascinating! And here I was worrying that today would be as boring as all the rest.
: ... Very well.
: Let us have a battle of wits, you and I.

: (Any day, Vasquez!)
: Good luck, Nick!

: Let's see... What was that murder weapon again? Oh yes, the "Samurai Spear."
: Yes...?
: I am, as you can see, a woman of petite stature.

:: It's not impossible!

: Well, maybe it's not impossible, but--
: Silence.
: I'm speaking.
: Mmmph!
: The victim was stabbed through the chest from the front, yes? I believe this would indicate that the victim was aware of the killer's presence. Now, the Steel Samurai costume is quite light and mobile.
: Compared to the victim, I am weaker and slower... I couldn't possibly win such a fight! Not to mention, there is proof I did not have the spear!

: Or do you mean to suggest that I could have wrested it away from him?
: Y-yeah! Take that, Wright!

: If you still think she did it, show us proof!
: Umm... er...
: Hey, Nick. Look at the data we have on that Samurai Spear in the Court Record. Isn't there something in there that gets to you...?
: Something odd about the Samurai Spear...? ... Wait!
: Something the matter, Mr. Wright?
: S-sorry, Your Honor. I'd like to take back my previous claim.
: Very well, I won't hold you to your claim.

: (Ugh...)
: What's this? You're taking back your claim?
: Let's backtrack for a moment.
: I want to consider whether the witness could have used the Samurai Spear or not!

And that brings us around to where the other paths might lead.

: I don't know.

: You "don't know"!? What kind of a lawyer are you!?
: Quiet. I'm speaking.
: M-m-mmph!
: You "don't know"!? What kind of a lawyer...
: I don't know whether you could have fought with the Samurai Spear...

And we end up converging on the same point.

: I think you would have a great deal of difficulty using that as a weapon. Pretty much anyone would.
: Hah. You see?
: Yes...

And now, all paths converge.

: However, that has no bearing on this case!
: ... Meaning?
: The Samurai Spear was not the murder weapon!

: What is the meaning of this!? The spear was found lying next to the victim's body!
: I have proof, Your Honor.

Next time: But how?

San Francisco, California, Municipal Code Article 17.1, Section 1302(a)-(c) (2003) posted:

Fortunetelling shall mean the telling of fortunes, forecasting of futures, or reading the past, by means of any occult, psychic power, faculty, force, clairvoyance, cartomancy, psychometry, phrenology, spirits, tea leaves, tarot cards, scrying, coins, sticks, dice, sand, coffee grounds, crystal gazing or other such reading, or through mediumship, seership, prophecy, augury, astrology, palmistry, necromancy, mindreading, telepathy or other craft, art, science, talisman, charm, potion, magnetism, magnetized article or substance, [or] effecting spells, charms, or incantations, or placing, or remocing curses [...] in order, for example, to get or recover property, stop bad luck, give good luck, put bad luck on a person or animal, stop or injure the business or health of a person or shorten a person's life, obstain success in business, enterprise, speculation and games of chance, win the affection of a person, [...] or other such similar activity.

NeverAfter
Apr 20, 2016

Well, I imagine it would be rather difficult to use a prop as an actual weapon in the first place. I mean, why would it even be SHARP? Not to mention the fact that it's held together by scotch tape and an intern's dreams after being broken earlier that day. Seriously, how no one has questioned this before this point is the only real puzzle here. Even if the intern only told Phoenix, which I doubt, you'd think the police would have noticed the break. *cough*GUMSHOE*cough*

Edit: Or wait, was it Oldbag that fixed it... I can't remember off the top of my head which. It's been a little too long.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Mors Rattus posted:

: And when exactly was that?
: I've forgotten.
: Maybe you could try remembering?

Have I mentioned that I love this case? :allears:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

And more to the point: there isn't any blood on the spear, right?

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
People have been speaking about how little defense lawyers matter in the AA world, but I think this case- in which a witness tries to have the defense murdered and nobody even mentions it- that it really sinks in just what an uphill battle Nick has chosen.

But yeah, I'm with the others: the Samurai Spear is broken, it couldn't be used by anybody.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wasn't the spear basically a prop loosely held together with duct tape?

Iron Heart
Jan 17, 2015

The future is bright.

Glazius posted:

Wasn't the spear basically a prop loosely held together with duct tape?

You're half-right. It's a 30-pound pole with a spear blade worthy of being declared a murder weapon on the end, and the pole WAS broken (by the weight of one Will Powers) and patched up with duct tape.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Duct tape fixes everything, so that can't be why it's an invalid weapon.

Dariusknight
Jul 8, 2012
Just caught up with the LP, it seems to me that if the weapon wasn't the spear, then maybe it wasn't murder but an accident? Something similar to what happened 5 years ago? At least based on what we've learned and the evidence we have in our possession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Trial (Day 4) - Part 2

: B-but, that IS the murder weapon!
: Not so fast.

: But, someone fixed the spear.

: She fixed it with duct tape!
: Now tell me, how is it possible...
: for someone to stab a man who is wearing a thick costume with this!? Through the chest!

: O-order! Order!

: Mr. Wright! What are you driving at!? Think about what you're--
: Silence!
: I'm the one testifying here and I will be heard!
: Mmmph...!
: Are you quite sane? Are you even aware of what you're saying? If the Samurai Spear was not the murder weapon, then pray tell what was!?
: How was Hammer killed?

: Of course I can't.
: "O-of course"!?

: Can the antics, Wright!
: I have to agree, Mr. Wright. At least pretend that you think you might know!
: (Urk. Note to self: think before speaking.)
: (Tough crowd...)
: Well, Mr. Wright? Can you tell us what weapon was used to kill Mr. Hammer?

: Would I make a claim like that if I couldn't tell you what the weapon was?
: I'm afraid your confidence can sometimes be unfounded, Mr. Wright...

Can you guess?

: O-order! Order! If I cannot have order this trial will be suspended!
: Mr. Wright! What is this all about!?
: This photograph is from five years ago. There was an unfortunate accident at Global Studios.

: Not a word of this was leaked to the outside. It was a close-kept secret at the studios.
: What does this have to do with the current case!?
: Mr. Edgeworth...
: You still can't see it?

: Are you saying...!?

: Mr. Wright! Continue!
: It's 2:30 PM on the day of the murder!

: Then she did it! She pushed Mr. Hammer off the stairs onto the fence!

: Though whether she did it on purpose or by accident, I cannot say.

: I-in other words... th-the victim, Mr. Hammer... He died in the same way that he caused another man to die...

: Precisely. Ironic, isn't it?
: ... Hoh hoh. Very creative, Mr. Wright.
: I could use a man like you on my script writing staff.
: You deny that what I say is true?
: ... Mr. Wright.
: Let's say, for the sake of argument, that Hammer died at the trailer as you say.

: And in the Evil Magistrate's costume, no less. Are you then claiming that I carried the body to Studio One...
: And returned to the trailer, all in the space of a 15 minute break? How could I have disposed of the body?
: The break in the meeting at the trailer lasted 15 minutes, from 2:30 to 2:45. Could Jack Hammer have been pushed off the stairs to his death... then carried to Studio One and placed inside his costume?
: There wasn't enough time.
: Hmm... indeed.

: You'd be surprised! I bet she could do it!
: When people think their life depends on it, they can do amazing things!
: Mr. Wright, this is not an episode of "That's Incredible."

: If you claim she did everything in 15 minutes...
: (Let me guess: "Show Me Proof!")
: Correct! Show me proof!
: (How am I supposed to do that...?)

: Then I won't have you making unsubstantiated claims!
: (... Wait a second, how does he know what I'm thinking!?)
: Hah!
: I need only look at the cold sweat running down your face to know what you're thinking!
: Mr. Wright. Perhaps you'd like to reconsider your claim?
: Well, Mr. Wright? How could she have dealt with the body?

: 15 minutes is kind of a short amount of time...
: You see? Even I cannot do the impossible. Therefore, Mr. Wright.
: I didn't do it. Agreed?
: Not agreed!

The other possible correct answer drops us off right here.

: What if she had another way to carry the body,
: other than with her own hands?
: For instance?
: Actually, for that matter, there was no need for her to do the deed in 15 minutes!

: And there was a way for you to carry that body.

: I-interesting! Let's hear it then.
: Mr. Wright?

This shouldn't be hard.

: Ms. Vasquez. You carried the body to Studio One.

: Recall your testimony...
: There was to be a rehearsal afterwards, so we went to Studio One. I was fatigued, so I had Sal take me. There was a van there, right? I had Sal drive me.
: You used the van to carry the body to Studio One!
: Then, before everyone else got there, you put the body into the Magistrate costume!

: Hold on, Wright!
: Don't forget, it was Sal Manella that drove the van!

: Of course he wasn't!
: Hah!
: So, without Mr. Manella noticing anything, she put the body in the van... Then managed to put the body into the costume...?

: Are you seriously suggesting that is possible!?
: Of course I'm not serious.
: Ha... hah!?
: I was kidding. To, er, lighten up the proceedings.
: Li...light...

: Lighten!? Y-you can't lighten up a murder!
: Mr. Wright. The court requests you refrain from making claims in jest.
: Y-yes, Your Honor.

And this leaves us where the correct option starts.

: Of course, Sal Manella has to have been a conspirator! The body had to be placed in the van, and put into the costume. There's no way Ms. Vasquez could have done that alone!

: They had to... because it was covered in Mr. Hammer's blood!

: Well, Ms. Vasquez!
: Shall I continue?
: No need. You're smarter than you look, Mr. Wright. Hmph.
: I lose. You win. It... was fun.
: (I... win!?)

: Umm...
: So... what happens next?
: Don't "?" me! Don't you have anything to say!?
: What would you like me to say?
: Huh? "I lost"? Something like that!
: I just said that.

: W-wait, so you mean...
: Dee Vasquez! So, it was you? You killed Jack Hammer!

: Who can say?
: Huh?
: Are you sure I did? Mr. Wright... We just engaged in a battle of wits. And the result of that battle? You proved the possibility that I murdered Hammer.
: R-right!
: But... that is only a possibility. Proof is another thing altogether.
: You lack decisive proof, Mr. Wright.

: Order!
: Mr. Edgeworth, your thoughts?
: Umm... uhh... mmmph. O-of course, it's as the witness says!
: ... Certainly, it does seem very likely she did it... but, uh, there's no proof!
: (...! Edgeworth isn't sure!)
: ... Well? I came here as a witness today. If you've no more questions, I'll be leaving.

(Click here for video, courtesy of Xander77, of the canon path. It's worth watching.)

: Ms. Vasquez! You did it!
: ... That wasn't a question.
: Um, did you do it?
: Mr. Wright.
: Y-yes, Your Honor?
: I'm not sure that question helped this court get any closer to a verdict.
: (Urk! What do I do now!?)

: I... I'd like you to testify again!
: Testify... again?
: Know when to give up, Mr. Wright. Think about it. Even if I were to testify again, what's the point? I can only say what I said before. The truth, Mr. Wright. I've already said all there is to say.
: What would happen if I said it again?
: Uh...
: You'd ask the same questions, get the same answers. A waste of time.

And we leave where we'd end up on the next, canonical path.

: Yes, Mr. Wright?
: I was hoping I'd come up with a question while pounding on my desk. I didn't.
: ... You have my sympathies.

Convergence.

: (drat... drat! To come so far, only to fail...)

: As it seems there are no further questions...
: I would like to end the cross-examination of the witness, Ms. Vasquez.

: Yes, Mr. Edgeworth?
: I was hoping to come up with a question while I was objecting, Your Honor... I didn't.
: I see... Very well.

: Your Honor!
: I request that the witness testify again!
: You are the prosecutor, are you not? Why are you badgering me? I'm your witness!
: I... I just want to hear your testimony again.
: Does this make any sense to you, Your Honor?
: I don't see that we have anything to gain by repeating the last several minutes.
: Mr. Edgeworth... I, too, see little point in making Ms. Vasquez repeat herself.
: What exactly did you want her to testify about?
: Mmmph! Well, yes, um... ... Indeed! Verily, I say... Ergo!

: I want to hear about what happened... after they found the body!
: After they found the body...?
: Very well. The witness will testify to the court concerned this matter.
: Hmph.

: Why did Edgeworth...?
: Who knows? He probably realized she did it, too.
: But... but! Wasn't he the one that said he always gets a guilty verdict...?
: After all that...
: (Edgeworth...)

Next time: Testimony...???

Aspen, Colorado, Municipal Code Section 15.04.210 posted:

It shall be unlawful for any person to throw any stone, snowball or other missile, or discharge any bow, blowgun, slingshot, gun, catapult, or other device, upon or at any vehicle, building, or other public or private property, or upon or at any person, or in any public way or place which is public in nature.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 25, 2016

• Locked thread