Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
It's actually true of the real world that not all legal systems have the tool of discovery available, ie, the defense may NOT, in fact, know what evidence the prosecution may present. Most people are accustomed to the idea of the defense being allowed to, you know, see what they're defending against, but if I understand correctly even in some lower courts in the US you need to make use of workarounds because by-name discovery just isn't a procedure.

The prosecution very blatantly having control over both the police and the judges would tend to imply trials are largely for show, which is exactly what the game is trying to present (and isn't TOO far off of Japan's actual trial process). The fact that Phoenix has received a plurality of Not Guilty verdicts, much less an unbroken streak of them, is probably why Cravats Sr. is prosecuting this trial at all, in order to punish his understudy for failure and to punish Wright for his successes. Given the soap opera leanings of the series, I would even wager there's probably more to it than just that, but I can't reasonably speculate further until someone tells us exactly what the gently caress is going on here already poo poo. There are so many unanswered questions right now.

E: Also, concerning Cravatsula, I suspect he will become very vulnerable to attack once we've burst his bubble to reveal the urchin within; he seems like the kind of guy with something to prove, so I doubt he'd just have Wright thrown out of court until he had the opportunity to utterly humiliate and break him first. However, I also suspect that this will be sort of like jabbing a bear with a stick a few times and then, while running from its devastating bear-wrath, congratulating yourself on opening the bear to attack.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Manfred is where the first game's satire on the Japanese legal system gets very direct.

Intimidating the Judge into doing (mostly) whatever Manfred demands is only the tip of the absolutely massive iceberg that is this man's career.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Shady Amish Terror posted:

It's actually true of the real world that not all legal systems have the tool of discovery available, ie, the defense may NOT, in fact, know what evidence the prosecution may present. Most people are accustomed to the idea of the defense being allowed to, you know, see what they're defending against, but if I understand correctly even in some lower courts in the US you need to make use of workarounds because by-name discovery just isn't a procedure.
All US courts have to apply some version of the Brady disclosure, which means that the prosecution has a duty to provide any exculpatory evidence that it knows of. Most courts take this a step further, such as federal courts under FRCMP 16, which allows for the full disclosure of any physical evidence that is to be used in the prosecutions case in chief, as well as the substance of any expert witness testimony to be presented. Many states model their criminal procedure rules on the FRCMP, so this more expansive version is usually what is at play.

Interestingly, you don't get a right to know what precisely a government (non-expert) witness is going to say on the stand. You do get to know anything that might disparage that person's credibility (witness impeachment) and under federal law once that witness has given his or her testimony on direct examination, any other statements the witness gave to the government relating to the testimony. So there can still be moments of drama for the defense when someone gets on the stand. Otherwise, there should be relatively few surprises for the defense, because it should be known generally what everyone will testify to.

Elric
Mar 31, 2011

How the gently caress is telling the judge what to do not contempt of court?

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Elric posted:

Because the Judge is too scared to realise he could do that to the prosecution.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Elric posted:

The amount of things prosecutors get away with in this series is ridiculous.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

In hindsight, one realizes that Edgeworth played fair the most out all of Phoenix's prosecutors.

Though Manfred is the pinnacle of flagrant abuse of prosecutor power in the series.

Sudsygoat
Jul 19, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

In hindsight, one realizes that Edgeworth played fair the most out all of Phoenix's prosecutors.

Nonsense. Payne in the first case played reasonably fair.

Sudsygoat fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 25, 2016

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Elric posted:

Stephen9001 posted:

Because the Judge is too scared to realise he could do that to the prosecution.

Because it's not contempt in Japanifornia. If the prosecutor does it of course.
Could be worse. [snip]

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Figures I must have misunderstood it somewhat.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Added Space posted:

Wait, the victim was shot in the heart with a 22 caliber pistol? That's borderline accidental. A 22 barely qualifies as lethal, it could be stopped by adult male ribs, and you'd have to miss the ribs to hit the heart. With a weapon as inaccurate as a pistol that's a lucky shot.

Also, why does the Australian tax minster need reality warping powers?

Without going full TFR, that's essentially not how guns work. .22LR is a very much lethal round, even without getting into specialized hunting loads. And at point-blank ranges -- literally within the same boat -- accuracy is a non-factor. The difference would be essentially unmeasurable between a pistol with 4 inch barrel and a rifle with 20 inch barrel, when the round is only travelling about 5 feet and will only complete about 4 revolutions in that roughly 0.0045 seconds it takes to travel that distance at 1100fps. :jewish:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Currently there is an LP for a game called LifeSigns, a game that people say is a combination of Ace Attorney and Trauma Center. The reason I bring it up is because I remembered that I wanted to share a character that people said was the "von Karma" of that game (he isn't really, but you could be the judge of that).

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
We're dealing with full-on Cravatsula here, that's more of a Cravatsferatu.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Maybe from the neck down but von Karma and Edgeworth strike me as the type of men that also put a lot of time into grooming their hair as well as their impeccable cravats.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Looks like a less pristmmaculate Redd White to me.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Case 4 - Turnabout Goodbyes
Trial (Day 2) - Part 3

: Got you, Ms. Hart! Finally!
: Wh-what!? You got what?

: The photo I took...?
: The very same.

: The fog, Ms. Hart.
: So... so?
: This picture was taken with professional, high quality film, correct? Yet even it could not capture the faces of the men on the boat!

: Yet you claim you saw Mr. Edgeworth!

: How!?

: Mr. Wright has a point!

: That's why I told her not to say that in her testimony! Please!
: Yet, now she has said it, Mr. von Karma.
: How could you possibly see Mr. Edgeworth!? Explain yourself!
: Ms. Hart.
: What!
: Could you see the defendant that night?
: O-of course! I said I could and I meant I could!
: Then, please testify as to the circumstances of your sighting.
: (I did it! I finally found a hole in von Karma's carefully vague testimony!)

: Hmm... You used binoculars?
: Very well. You may begin your cross-examination, Mr. Wright.
: (This one'd better be good!)

: So? How could you see Edgeworth!?
: Now, just hold your horses for a second!
: You hasty Yankee types'd never find a gal where I'm from.
: Defense attorneys have trouble with that as it is.
: (Nobody loves me...)

: Your "camera"...?
: Yeah. It's got an automatic...

: The issue we are concerned with here is Ms. Hart seeing Mr. Edgeworth!
: The camera has nothing to do with this at all!

: Objection sustained.
: (Argh! He's not letting her answer any of my questions!)

: "Binoculars"?
: Yeah, binoculars.
: Yesterday, you mentioned that you were out looking for shooting stars, correct?
: Well... yeah.

: Wouldn't you need a telescope, not binoculars, for that?

: I've got doubts about your camera, too!
: Was that really to take pictures of meteor showers?

: The camera is irrelevant to this case!
: You can't say that for certain!
: Hmm... Mr. Wright.
: Is the camera really relevant to this case? If you believe it is, you may continue with this line of questioning.
: But know this!
: If you find nothing with this, there will be consequences!
: Well, Mr. Wright?

: (This is make-it-or-break-it time!)

: The camera is of utmost importance, Your Honor. It is, perhaps, the key to this entire case!
: Therefore, I will continue my line of questioning! (Wow! Maybe I went a little overboard there...)

: Very well! Ms. Hart! You will testify to the court about the camera!
: Yeah, yeah, I hear ya.

: Ms. Hart. What made you choose that lake to photograph meteors?
: You know the fog gets thick on that lake. It's not very suited to stargazing.
: Yeah, well... Y'see, I...
: I guess I wasn't thinking too straight! Har!

: Mr. Wright!
: I will not have you badgering my witness because of her challenged intellect!
: Now wait a minute!
: Continue your testimony. You were saying how it was that you saw Edgeworth?
: Grr...
: No unnecessary comments, please.

: If there was a heavy fog, how would binoculars change that at all?
: What do you mean?
: Even binoculars can't see through fog! But... you say you clearly saw him?
: Er...
: I did... yeah.

: Enough! There is no room for doubt in her testimony!
: (Hmm. She sounded pretty doubtful to me!)
: (But... I have to find a clear contradiction first. I don't care how many von Karmic objections I get... I'm going to find a hole in this testimony if it's the last thing I do!)

And loop. Do you see the contradiction?

: You were photographing shooting stars? That's a lie!

: S-says who!?

: I saw the camera you set up yesterday. It was pointed directly at the lake!
: You have to point a camera upwards to take photos of the stars, Ms. Hart!

: Mr. Wright! What are you driving at?
: The witness was not at the lake to photograph shooting stars, Your Honor!
: ...!

: Well... that I don't know.

: What the witness takes photos of is entirely her business! This has nothing to do with the case!
: Not to mention that you can't even show us another reason why she might have been there.

: Mr. Wright... If you are out of material, I suggest we end this mockery of a cross-examination.
: (Uh oh... I can't let the trial end like this! I have to show them something!)

Which drops us at the other choice.

: Your Honor! Take a look at this...

: Ms. Hart.

: What's this? A newspaper article?

: Ah, the sighting at Gourd Lake...
: Well, Ms. Hart?
: I... I never heard of no lake monster! You got proof or something?

: Well, I don't have proof...

: Bah! Your ineptitude is entertaining, Mr. Wright, but enough is enough! I've had enough of baseless claims without a hair of evidence to support them!

: Well all right, if that's how you want to play... I'll show you evidence!
: Mr. Wright! Are you sure about this?
: (I'm sure sick of that smarmy prosecutor putting me down!)
: (Or... did he taunt me so I'd get mad and make a mistake?)

: I have it! Proof!
: Hmm... Intriguing!

Convergence.

: Very well, let's see it. And... no joking around this time, please.

: Your camera was set to take photos in response to loud noises, correct?

: ...

: Gourdy made a loud noise when it emerged!

: Well? You were trying to photograph Gourdy, weren't you!
: That's why you had set your camera to respond to loud noises!

: Order! Order!
: I see...
: I, too, thought it was a little strange.
: (Yeah, sure!)
: Well, Ms. Hart?

: You were camping there to try and take a photo of Gourdy, weren't you?
: ... Yeah.
: Not bad. Are all you lawyers that smart? So, smart boy, I was down there trying to photograph Gourdy, you got me.
: So what?
: Huh...?

: That doesn't change what I saw, does it?
: Exactly! What you just used several precious minutes of our time to prove...
: is nothing more than that the witness is an idiot who thinks monsters exist!
: H-hey!
: But, as she so succinctly said, so what!?
: It changes nothing!
: (Not true! You were hiding the whole thing about Gourdy for some reason, I know it!)
: (But what could it have been...? Whatever it is, I'm getting to the bottom of this!)
: Ms. Hart. Why did you hide the fact that you were searching for Gourdy from the court?
: Please revise your testimony.
: Right. Fine, I'll testify. It won't change nothing, though.
: (Something will change... it has to! And I'm going to spot it!)

: Hmm...
: Well, Mr. Wright. You may cross-examine the witness.

: The witness's testimony is unchanged from before! Whether she is a research student or a photographer has no bearing on this case!

: There is no need to waste more of our time with another pointless cross-examination!
: Er... hmm.

: I claim the defense's right to cross-examine the witness, Your Honor! (von Karma's up to something, I know it! He doesn't want me to cross-examine her because... why? Was there a contradiction?)
: Very well. You may begin the cross-examination. You seem sure of yourself, you must have something in mind.
: Hah! That would be a first!
: (Hah hah, very funny.)
: You understand that this is your last chance at a cross-examination, Mr. Wright?
: If there is no problem with the testimony this time, we will let the witness leave. I will announce my verdict at that time, Mr. Wright.
: Understood?
: Yes, Your Honor.

Next time: The last chance.

Beef Cattle Marketing Act, R.S.O. (1990), Chapter B.5.3, Ontario posted:

Licenses
(1) Except under the authority of a licence, no person shall sell cattle.
(2) Every person who sells cattle shall be deemed to be the holder of a licence.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 28, 2016

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
Okay, I think I've got this one. There wasn't anything else to look at, she says, so she looked at the boat the whole time. BUT if she's looking for Gordy, she'd be looking everywhere but the boat. She could still have seen a flash, since that kind of thing can easily be seen in peripheral vision.

I'd also like to press her on the flash -- maybe she could see which man it came from. And if it WASN'T the one who was holding the gun in the photo, that has interesting implications.

As for that law:

Beef Cattle Marketing Act, R.S.O. (1990), Chapter B.5.3, Ontario posted:

Licenses
(1) Except under the authority of a licence, no person shall sell cattle.
(2) Every person who sells cattle shall be deemed to be the holder of a licence.

Is that so that they can charge you a license fee even though you didn't actually go buy one? Because that's the only sensible reason I can come up with for that bit of circular logic.

Elric
Mar 31, 2011

It sure would be nice to have a witness who does not commit blatant perjury once.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
My theory.

The flash she saw was actually a camera flash. Maybe her own, or maybe there was another photographer.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Elric posted:

It sure would be nice to have a witness who does not commit blatant perjury once.

Indeed. For some reason, I'm imagine a version of this with demonic lawyers who are allowed to eat anyone found guilty of (deliberately) lying on the witness stand. THAT oughta cut down on lying in court!

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

My guess: She already said that she had to run away to get her binoculars. She wasn't looking anywhere near the boat. Basically everything she says is a lie.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I think the most amusing part of all of this is that Lotta has lied so much that she's quite clearly not even a trustworthy witness anymore. Why are we listening to anything she has to say?

Geizt
Dec 10, 2014

Probably because she's literally the only witness we have, and it's obvious that she's slipping up and saying things that Von Karma doesn't want her saying. Also because I guess perjury isn't a crime in Japanifornia or something.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
The order of her events don't make sense. The victim died from a single gunshot wound, but Lotta heard a bang, had enough time to turn around and look at the boat and see a separate muzzle flash

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Elric posted:

Welcome to Japanifornia!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Elric posted:

It's often a side effect of the Prosecution coaching them. It's only perjury if the Defense witness does it :v:

Geizt posted:

Probably because she's literally the only witness we have, and it's obvious that she's slipping up and saying things that Von Karma doesn't want her saying.
There's a line about this actually. The witness thing, not the perjury.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
It seems to me that we could have skipped a few steps in logic there (which is typical of the entire series, frankly).

Since when do shooting stars make a loud noise?

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Nidoking posted:

It seems to me that we could have skipped a few steps in logic there (which is typical of the entire series, frankly).

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Yeah, none of this lines up at all now. It's actually a little frustrating to try and suss out which 'gotcha!' the game wants you to aim at once there's this many revisions in the testimony. Two loud noises is suspicious and unexplained, her camera should have taken at least two pictures because of it, watching the boat doesn't agree with her running to get her binoculars which still doesn't explain why she would say she saw Edgeworth beyond the prosecution coaching her to lie...

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Don't forget to add in Von Karma yelling at you to stop talking to the witness despite it being your job after every panel. That's part of the reason this case is so slow at least.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

: The issue we are concerned with ehre is Ms. Hart seeing Mr. Edgeworth!

Here.

Also, I love this LP.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Yeah, none of this lines up at all now. It's actually a little frustrating to try and suss out which 'gotcha!' the game wants you to aim at once there's this many revisions in the testimony. Two loud noises is suspicious and unexplained, her camera should have taken at least two pictures because of it, watching the boat doesn't agree with her running to get her binoculars which still doesn't explain why she would say she saw Edgeworth beyond the prosecution coaching her to lie...

Hmm. Speculation:The two loud noises put me in mind that the gun was fired three times, has that come up yet? Where was the third shot? And even if there were three the victim died because of a single gunshot, as Darius brought up, so why the other shots?

But the gun hasn't come up yet, so here's another one: Lotta is oddly insistent that she was looking at the boat the whole time; it comes up three times in that testimony. I guess that means I'm with Intern- how was Lotta keeping her eye on the boat the whole time whilst rushing to get her binoculars and minding her expensive camera simultaneously? It just doesn't work.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

If nothing else, the case a prime example of the PW hallmark: giving the player what seems at first to be a solved mystery with everything implicating the defendant which gives way a much flimsier case when given more than a cursory examination. Pick the threads and it starts unraveling. But you have to pick in the precise order the game expects or else you get slapped down for making "irrelevancies" which is highly infuriating because goddammit its so loving obvious I'm not wrong how can you guys not see it goddammit

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I replayed the original trilogy recently, and I was absolutely stumped on what to do when I got to Day 1 of the trial, because I wanted to bring up the number of gunshots and the other pictures, but no, we have to discredit Lotta as some kind of Gourdy hunter first.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Phoenix Wright must Reach Out To The Truth.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I replayed the original trilogy recently, and I was absolutely stumped on what to do when I got to Day 1 of the trial, because I wanted to bring up the number of gunshots and the other pictures, but no, we have to discredit Lotta as some kind of Gourdy hunter first.

One one hand it makes sense to discredit her in this way because Gourdy probably has something to do with this case, in addition to picking apart Von Karma's carefully constructed pile of lies.

On the other hand the main reason this is happening is for character development rather than actually solving the case and getting Edgeworth a not-guilty verdict.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Case 4 - Turnabout Goodbyes
Trial (Day 2) - Part 4

: Then what manner of person are you!?
: I'm not sure I'm high-falutin' enough to be called a "manner" of anything.

: An "investigative photographer"?
: Yep. You get your photo, and sell it to the press. It's that kind of business.
: Hey, I was taking pictures at my sister's graduation last year...
: N' guess what!
: Umm... what?
: There was a yoofoh just a' hanging in the sky!
: A "yoofoh"...?
: You know, an "Unidentified Flying Object"? A yoofoh! That's when I had sort of a revelation.
: I knew I should become an investigative photographer!
: I... I see. (Kind of a shaky basis for a career...)

: Is "Gourdy" really all that newsworthy?
: Heck yeah! They even had him up on the TV!
: (I'm not sure that appearing on the local news "rumor of the month" show qualifies. Last month's show was "Bigfoot Sighted on Acorn Hill," I believe.)
: Hey! They also had a picture of him in the newspaper! For real!
: Mr. Wright. This is one fight I do not believe you can win.
: Let's keep moving, shall we?

: That's why you put the automatic sensor on your camera?
: Yep. Borrowed it from a friend at a university. It analyzes every sound it picks up, and when it gets a "bang!" ...
: It snaps a shot.
: Yep.
: So, how many pictures has it taken so far?
: The only time the camera triggered was that night.
: (Hmm...)

: I think it's time you told us why you felt you had to hide your true purpose at the lake.
: Heck, if word got out what I was up to, the lake'd be swarmin' with competitors!
: Competitors...?
: Yeah! Second-rate shutterbugs trying to steal my scoop!
: Ah... Is that the only reason you were hiding the truth?
: W-well, actually...

: Mr. Wright! I'll not have you asking questions with no relevance to this case!!!
: (Whatever you say, von Karma. I know you told her to keep quiet.)

: Exactly what sort of sound was it?
: Well, I never heard one before so I can't say for sure... but it sounded like a gunshot.
: It was a lot sharper a sound than I would have expected.

: There wasn't "much else to look at"?
: Yep.
: (I dunno. If she heard a bang... and she thought Gourdy was out there...)
: (I kind of doubt she'd waste any time looking at a boat.)
: What? What did I do now? What're you giving me that look for?
: (Definitely suspicious... Maybe it's time for some evidence...)
: Witness! Continue.
: Hold your hushpuppies, pops, I'm getting there.

: Was there nothing on the lake but the boat at that time?
: Huh? Wait, so you're thinking maybe he was shot from some other place? I don't think so, nope.
: The lake was smooth as glass, and nobody was on the shore, neither.
: (I'd better find some sort of contradiction in this testimony...)
: (I won't be able to beat von Karma any other way... There has to be something!)

And we loop. Can you spot it?

: Ms. Hart!
: Were you REALLY looking at that boat!?
: W-what's with you!? Course I was looking at it! It was the only thing out there! Any normal person'd be looking at it!
: I agree, any normal person would.

: But you are far from normal!
: Wh-what!? Y'all wanna step over here and say that!?
: You were camping at the lake to take a picture of Gourdy!

: Thank about it-- What would you do if you heard a loud noise?
: You'd be scanning the lake for any sign of Gourdy, that's what! You wouldn't give the boat a second thought!

: Order! Continue, Mr. Wright!
: You testified that you were watching the boat through binoculars! However, you wouldn't need binoculars to watch that boat!
: You needed them to search for Gourdy... and that's what you were doing!

: Well!?
: Hmph... Well, now that y'all mention it...

: I mean, Gourdy might be out there, n' all...
: M-Ms. Hart! A-are you saying that you were NOT watching the boat, then?
: S-sorry, y'all. I wasn't fibbing, really.
: I was, just... I thought y'know, I could be witness to a murder n' all! I kinda got excited.
: I was sure I was watching that boat... till now.
: This... this is totally uncalled for--
: B-but hey!

: Still, we can't see who is shooting who in this.
: Right! Right!
: That's why I took this photo n'...

: Witness... That's enough.
: You've had a long day. Shut your pie-hole.
: Sh-shut my what!?
: (What was she going to say? She took the photo... and what? Wait a second...)

: But you really can't tell from the photo who is shooting.

: She said "it'll drop the quality a mite, but should let us see who's who!"

: (Why won't von Karma let her show it?)

: (I bet that enlarged photo shows something bad for von Karma! This is my chance! If I'm wrong, though, it'll mean prison for Edgeworth... or worse.)

: (If this is a trap...)
: (I'd better hold back and see how things go. But... if I wait now, the cross-examination will be over!)

A second chance to back out is because the game really wants you to know you're being an idiot.

: This hereby ends the cross-examination of Ms. Lotta Hart.
: And none to soon. That was a flagrant waste of my time.
: Mr. von Karma, do you have anything to add?

: I stated everything I needed to when this trial began. Decisive evidence. A decisive witness. What else could possibly be required?
: Nothing, of course.
: (Oh no! I should have pressed further!)

: This court sees no reason to further prolong the trial. Nor is there any need for more time to decide the case against the defendant. This case is extremely clear. I see no room for misinterpretation of the facts.
: This court finds the defendant, Mr. Miles Edgeworth...

: The accused will surrender to the court immediately, to be held pending trial at a higher court within a month from today's date.
: That is all. The court is adjourned!

Game over! So...don't do that.

: Ms. Hart! Look at this photograph.

: Y-yeah! I did!
: Why has that enlargement not been presented to the court!?

: B-because it does not exist!
: What're y'all talking about!? You were the one who told me not to show it in court in the first place! You old fool!

: What's the meaning of this, Mr. von Karma!
: Er... erm...
: Ms. Hart!

: Show the photo to the court! Show us the enlargement!

: The prosecution objects to the submission of this evidence!
: Objection... denied.
: The witness will show the enlargement to the court.
: Here it is.

: It could be the defendant... or maybe it's not.
: Regardless, I'll accept this as evidence.

: Happy now, Mr. Wright?
: Hmm... (There has to be something!)
: You asked for the enlargement, you got the enlargement.

: And little good it has done any of us! That's why I requested she not show it!
: I suppose this means that the cross-examination...
: Is over! Obviously!

: Then I would like to close the cross-examination of Ms. Lotta Hart.
: And none too soon. That was a flagrant waste of my time.
: Mr. von Karma, do you have anything to add?
: I stated everything I needed to when this trial began. Decisive evidence. A decisive witness.
: What else could possibly be required?

: Nothing, of course.
: Then, I believe it is time for me to declare my verdict.
: (Wait... it's not supposed to go like this!)

: (Uh oh... think of something! No good... I guess I'll just sit back and see how this turns out.)

And we go directly into the game over sequence again.

: W-wait!
: Your Honor, This evidence...

Yeah, they miscapitalize that.

: I believe we have spent enough time talking about evidence!
: Hmm... indeed.

: I see no point in retracing our steps.

Which leads us back to the choice.

: Your Honor!

: W-what might that be?

: Mr. Wright... You will show the court what you mean! What about this photo is "strange"?
: (Okay... here goes nothing!)

Can you spot it?

: Here, Your Honor!
: The shooter...?
: I'm not sure I understand. What about the shooter is strange?
: Look at the hand holding the pistol, Your Honor!
: The hand...?
: That hand directly contradicts another piece of evidence!

: Let me show you.

: The evidence is clear.

: However!
: The prints on the murder weapon were from Edgeworth's "right hand"!

: Ergo!

: Now that everyone in the courtroom has quieted down... I would like to reconvence this court of law!
: Mr. Wright.
: You have given us definitive proof today. We now know that it was not Mr. Edgeworth who fired the pistol that night.
: However...
: This leaves us with a rather large problem.

: Precisely!

: Who else but the witness, Ms. Lotta Hart!
: Wh-what!? Do you have proof of this!?

: (Proof-shmoof! Always with the proof! Oh... wait, I do need proof, don't I.)

: (Uh oh. The Judge is mad.)
: Let me ask again!

: (Wait, wait,--I can't do that. Sacrifice one friend to save another? What's the point!?)

: There is only one explanation remaining!

: The main who shot the victim was none other than... the victim himself!!!

: So... you are saying that the victim committed suicide?
: Yes, Your Honor. I can think of no other explanation.
: Indeed, that does seem to be the only remaining option.

: I'm so very, very sorry, Mr. Wright.
: But suicide is out of the question.
: Wh-what!?
: An examination of the victim's wound reveals the distance at which he was shot.
: The... distance?
: The victim was clearly shot from further than a meter away!
: A meter! Th-that's three feet!

: There is no way it could have been suicide!

: Mr. von Karma! Are you sure of the accuracy of your data!?
: Of course! I had already considered the possibility of suicide, you see.

: I see.

: Very well, allow me to state my opinion. Considering the situation, the shooter had to be the defendant, Mr. Edgeworth. However!
: The prints on the gun reveal that the shooter was not Mr. Edgeworth.
: This is a conundrum. Therefore, I would like to suspend proceedings for this trial for the day. The court orders the defense and the prosecution to further investigate this matter.
: Understood?
: That is all. The court is adjourned.

: Whew, that was a close one.

: Hey! Don't you have anything to say!?
: No. I have yet to be declared innocent, Wright.
: Well, yeah, but... What happened out there on that lake, anyway!? If he didn't commit suicide, then who...? The shooter was about a meter away, too!
: ... W-what? Don't give me that look! I did not kill him!
: I was just kidding around.
: Hmph.
: Look... I'm going to go check on Maya.
: Oh... Wright.
: What?
: Tell her something from me.
: What?
: ... Tell... Tell her to watch what she says in court.
: That's all.
: (Yeah, I'm sure she'll be happy to hear you say that, Edgeworth. Jerk!)

: I thought it might give me ammunition for the trial tomorrow. Of course she didn't see the shooter... So the only part of her testimony that stood was the "bang" she heard.

Next time: So, what the hell even happened?

R.S., chapter C-34, Section 323 (Criminal Code of Canada) posted:

365. Every one who fraudulently
(a) pretends to exercise or to use any kind of witchcraft, sorcery, enchantment or conjuration,
(b) undertakes, for a consideration, to tell fortunes, or
(c) pretends from his skill in or knowledge of an occult or crafty science to discover where or in what manner anything that is supposed to have been stolen or lost may be found,
is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 31, 2016

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Mors Rattus posted:

365. Every one who fraudulently
(a) pretends to exercise or to use any kind of witchcraft, sorcery, enchantment or conjuration,
(b) underateks, for a consideration, to tell fortunes, or
(c) pretends from his skiin in or knowledge of an occult or crafty science to discover where or in what manner anything that is supposed to have been stolen or lost may be found,
is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

And yet The Undertaker is just as adored as a wrestler up there as down here. :v:

Also, they wouldn't like Maya up there.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
I dunno, he tried to shoot Edgeworth, missed, and got shot by a magic sniper rifle that made it seem like it was only a meter away? I dunno, I got nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Ok, the sequence of events is two gunshots, body crashing into the water, Edgeworth picks up the gun and minutes later is taken in by the police.

Since we know that the second person was the shooter, it stands to reason that person ditched the gun and jumped out of the boat. The two gunshots were almost certainly to draw attention; and the only person who would be there to witness on a winter midnight is Lotta herself. The shooter may have checked on her shortly before the boat was taken out.

We know the gun was shot three times and is the murder weapon, and that it couldn't have been shot afterward, it stands to reason the victim was already shot dead earlier and that the second person on the boat was someone else, very probably the actual murderer.

Added Space fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 30, 2016

• Locked thread