Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

MightyPretenders posted:

...No, I'm pretty sure Gumshoe does not have a metal detector.

We found Gourdy with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

We found Gourdy with it.

My point exactly. While we were doing that, Gumshoe was called away to deal with something. I don't think we've seen him since.

Indiiea
Sep 26, 2013

MightyPretenders posted:

My point exactly. While we were doing that, Gumshoe was called away to deal with something. I don't think we've seen him since.

Don't tell me Karma planned that too.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
One thing I love about these games is the wide variety of villains. In this first game alone we have accidental murder due to the culprit blackmailing the victim and having to defend herself from him, a burglar who panicked and wasn't thinking when he beaned the apartment lady over the head, and an absolute Bastard in Redd White. I like the Professor Layton games for much the same reason, the first two games has villain after largely money/revenge, which is reasonable and the the third game (Unwound Future) the villain is just an immense sociopath who wants to wreak havoc because he can

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
von Karma planned for literally everything.

BioEnchanted posted:

and in the third game (Unwound Future) the villain is just an immense sociopath who wants to wreak havoc because he can

I'm pretty sure that the villain of that game is the person who gets off Scott-free after ruining the lives of two indignant people.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

von Karma planned for literally everything.

I'm pretty sure that the villain of that game is the person who gets off Scott-free after ruining the lives of two indignant people.

Are we both talking about Future Luke? or are you accusing the lead scientist on the time travel project of being the true villain?

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Wait... that injury couldn't be why he's clutching his arm all the time, could it? The bullet looked like it entered a different place on the arm though... But people do survive having bullets shot into them; President Jackson, that tough old bastard, reportedly had so many bullets in him he rattled when he sat down. (which may just be rumor, but he did love his duels...)

But a greater problem is proving all this... If von Karma didn't get operated on, the only way to prove it would be to get him to show us the wound, and I doubt he'll do that. drat, I was so sure the killing evidence would be the bullet we already have, but that hardly could have been the one that was shot into Karma, right? There'd be blood and skin particles and the like.

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016

resurgam40 posted:

but that hardly could have been the one that was shot into Karma, right? There'd be blood and skin particles and the like.

Well, no, I imagine it's had the blood and skin particles cleaned off, seeing as that bullet was quite clearly labelled as the one that was removed from Gregory Edgeworth. As for proving it... well, it was already mentioned that we never gave Gumshoe back his metal detector, because after we finished up using it to find Gourdy, he was gone, right? So surely that means we still have it?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

resurgam40 posted:

Wait... that injury couldn't be why he's clutching his arm all the time, could it? The bullet looked like it entered a different place on the arm though... But people do survive having bullets shot into them; President Jackson, that tough old bastard, reportedly had so many bullets in him he rattled when he sat down. (which may just be rumor, but he did love his duels...)

You know, I think you're right. He never got the injury treated and now he's in pain all the time, so as not to leave a trail.

I bet it's the same drat pistol, too.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
This would certainly explain why Von Karma literally never does anything with his right arm.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Okay, this "airtight elevator" thing is seriously, legitimately bugging me. Say it with me, kids: not airtight is not the same as unrestricted airflow. The elevator was probably not airtight, but the only places for air to get in are probably small gaps in the door, walls, maintenance panel, what have you. Air's not going to move into or out of the space as quickly as they breathe it, the carbon dioxide is going to build up. You can suffer oxygen deprivation even in a space that technically has openings.

Okay science lesson over.

ManicVolcanic posted:

Well, no, I imagine it's had the blood and skin particles cleaned off, seeing as that bullet was quite clearly labelled as the one that was removed from Gregory Edgeworth. As for proving it... well, it was already mentioned that we never gave Gumshoe back his metal detector, because after we finished up using it to find Gourdy, he was gone, right? So surely that means we still have it?

You don't clean evidence. That sort of defeats the purpose of it being evidence.

Yes, that's right; the fifteen-year-old bullet taken from Gregory Edgeworth's corpse is still crusty with his blood. Dare you to lick it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

Are we both talking about Future Luke? or are you accusing the lead scientist on the time travel project of being the true villain?

I'm saying that Hawkes is the real villain, especially given that it's his actions that cause the other two to be villains.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Air is lava! posted:

I'm a bit confused right now. Was the whole "Murder Edgeworth and blame it on his son 15 years later" a spur of the moment plan? Von Karma doesn't really seem like the spontaneous type. On the other hand, as far as I remember, it relied on a earthquake. Did he cause an earthquake? :tinfoil:

Don't be ridiculous. von Karma is only a man, he can't cause an earthquake.

Now that loving :parrot: on the other hand, that's who we can't let off the hook.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

C. Everett Koop posted:

Don't be ridiculous. von Karma is only a man, he can't cause an earthquake.

Now that loving :parrot: on the other hand, that's who we can't let off the hook.

Just check out that emote. Put enough :parrot: on something and eventually the earth had to move.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

One thing I love about these games is that despite the levels of crazy that most of the characters exhibit they have moments of genuineness that makes them work. Characters that start incompetent and annoying get context that elevates them. I think of it tonally like Shakepeare as performed by a circus - how they say things is beyond ridiculous but what they say has meaning behind it.

Bacon In A Wok
Jan 27, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

We found Gourdy with it.
Of course, it all makes sense now! Von Karma used the media hype surrounding the DL-6 trial to distract attention away from his plan to shrink Gourdy down by two orders of magnitude (using the prototype miniaturization ray acquired from Bluecorp with Grossberg's assistance, and powered by Steel Samurai battery technology) and implant the beastie inside his shoulderblade! And he almost got away with it!

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Dr. Buttass posted:

You don't clean evidence. That sort of defeats the purpose of it being evidence.

Yes, that's right; the fifteen-year-old bullet taken from Gregory Edgeworth's corpse is still crusty with his blood. Dare you to lick it.

You do if you want to be able to check the ballistic markings.

Malah
May 18, 2015

Regalingualius posted:

...Wait... poo poo!
GONNA FRY WITH THE :parrot: FUCKER

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Case 4 - Turnabout Goodbyes
Trial (Day 4) - Part 5

When we left off, Phoenix was thinking about what it has to mean if von Karma got shot but wouldn't leave witnesses.

: Tsk tsk tsk... Well, Mr. Wright!

: (It would be impossible to find the doctor who operated on von Karma now... Even if von Karma did undergo surgery!)
: Hmph! It seems you have finally come to your senses.

: You've realized the truth: You can't prove something that didn't happen!
: (Urk!)
: Nick...

: (The Court Record...? What could be in there!? Gah! There's no time! I'd better think on it as I go...)

Which leaves us where the right choice would.

: Alright, von Karma, I'll prove it. And I'll even use evidence... I know how you like it so much.

: Wh-what!?

Can you guess?

: von Karma is perfect... He wouldn't risk surgery, leaving an evidence trail.
: So then, I ask, where is that bullet now?
: I think it unlikely that von Karma performed surgery on himself!
: ...! You... you don't mean!

: I do.

: I-is that even possible? For all these years!?
: Well, there's one way to find out.

Your challenge is now to draw where Nick's been carrying that drat thing this whole time.

: Well, von Karma?
: I'm going to run this over you, and see what we find.

: I... refuse!
: Y-you refuse...!? But, refusing this means...

: Order! Order! Order!

: Your Honor! The defense requests that we be allowed to use the metal detector!

: Judge! I call for a suspension of this trial! This is an invasion of privacy!

: The statute of limitations runs out on this case today!

: It was you who said we had to end it right here, right now!
: Mm... mmmph!

: Enough!
: I permit the use of the metal detector. Mr. von Karma, you will submit yourself to testing!
: Nick! What does this mean...?
: I don't know... but we have to give it a shot!

: (It reacted! Something's inside his right shoulder! The bullet!)

: Mr. von Karma...?
: ... You! It was you!
: ... I was afraid this would happen. And so, I remained silent.

: ...?
: Indeed, there is a bullet in my shoulder.
: However... it has nothing to do with this incident!
: What!?
: I was shot in the shoulder long before the DL-6 Incident!

: I claim that the bullet in my shoulder has no relation to DL-6!

: B-but, Mr. von Karma! Can you prove that?
: "Prove"?

: I have no obligation to prove anything! It is you who must prove something here, Mr. Wright!
: Not I.
: M-Mr. Wright?
: Well? Can you prove it? Can you prove that the bullet in von Karma's shoulder was from DL-6?
: Of course he can't! You don't have any of the DL-6 evidence!
: (That's because you took it out of the Records Room yesterday!)

: With no proof, you cannot convict me of any crime!
: So sorry, Mr. Wright.

: No... I'm the one who's sorry, Mr. von Karma.
: You were close... one day away from freedom.
: You see... I have proof!
: Who would have thought you would have dug your own grave trying to convict Edgeworth! I can link that bullet in your shoulder to the DL-6 Incident...

: Th-that's...

: Where did you get that!?

: This was taken from the heart of the victim, Mr. Gregory Edgeworth.

: The bullet is preserved quite nicely, with all the ballistic markings intact.
: Ballistic markings...

: It came up in the first trial, two days ago.

: All bullets fired from a gun are marked with that weapon's unique pattern. By examining the markings, you can tell which weapon fired the bullet. It's quite accurate.

: The other, Mr. von Karma, is the bullet buried in your shoulder. We could analyze both bullets... Then, if the markings matched...

: We would know that both bullets had been fired from the same gun!
: The very same pistol... in other words, the murder weapon that killed Gregory Edgeworth!
: Mmmph... mmmph!
: Mr. von Karma? You will let us remove the bullet from your shoulder.

: And solve this case once and for all!

: Mmmrrrrrrgggh!

: I've heard that scream before...
: Wait... I know!

"Quiet! I said quiet! You're not making this any easier!"
"Stop breathing my air! I'll... I'll stop you!"
"Stop breathing my aaaaair!"

Uuaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

: Fifteen years ago...

: Mr. von Karma?

: So... it was you!

He's gonna keep hitting his head slowly throughout this next bit.

: Your father shamed me with a penalty on my record! And you... you left a scar on my shoulder that would never fade!

: von Karma! It's not like you to make this kind of error... I never would have thought that Edgeworth would be the one to catch you.
: I... was careless.
: I'm sorry, but you will have to be penalized. I've covered for you in the past, but not this time.
: ...! Edgeworth!!!

Me? Penalized!?
It took hours for me to regain my composure.
Suddenly, I found myself in the darkness...
I was in the court records room.
I must have wandered in there without thinking where I was going.
The room was pitch black. The lights must have gone out.
I went out in the hall and felt my way to the elevator.
I pressed the button, and nothing happened.
Then... there was a noise!

Just then, the lights came back on. The elevator door opened before my eyes.

Much to my surprise, a pistol lay at my feet.
I knew then... it was destiny.

He died, never knowing who had shot him.
Later, he spoke through a medium, blaming Mr. Yogi.
He was fooled! It was the perfect crime!

: Who would have thought another man would have come to open that elevator door?

: Judge!
: Wh-what?
: What are you doing? Do your job! Bring an end to this miserable charade!
: Now! End it!
: V-very well.

: It appears that we have come a very long way to the end of this maze. Fifteen years later...
: Mr. Miles Edgeworth?
: Yes, Your Honor.
: You were innocent. You are innocent.
: ...
: As you said, it was all a "nightmare."
: Yes, Your Honor.

: This court finds the defendant, Mr. Miles Edgeworth...

: That is all. The court is adjourned!

Next time: You think it's over? It's not over.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Sep 22, 2016

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So now I can talk more freely.

First off, I think it's important to point out that Von Karma did not hunt down Gregory Edgeworth with the intent to murder him. Von Karma comes off like an evil SOB and maybe he is but in this instance, can he be absolutely faulted? He was shot. He was obviously deleriouswith pain and anger and confusion. He did not have some methodical revenge plan.

And that's where Miles comes into this. I think the Manfred/Miles relationship is one of the most intriguing in the series. I don't believe Von Karma intended to do this to Edgeworth all along. I think it was Miles' losing those two cases that made Von Karma turn on him. If he had remained "perfect" I think he would have let everything remain as it was.

For those not in the know, Edgeworth has his own spinoff games. In the first one, you see more of his relationship with Manfred and I just can't honestly believe Von Karma was grooming him all these years just so he could take this fall. The man is evil but he was like a second father to Miles and seemed to take genuine pride in forging his "son" into a topnotch prosecutor.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
God. Manfred Von Karma has the best villainous breakdown in the entire game series.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

As amazing as this moment was, I kept waiting for Von Karma to point out that there's no way any kind of markings could survive so long inside someone's body. Like, they'd have to have been worn away by now, right? Yes, with all the ridiculous poo poo that happens in this game, THAT is what broke my suspension of disbelief. I don't know why.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Von Karma: "Yes, I shot him"
Judge: "Alright. Court is Adjourned"

So, are we sending Von Karma to jail, or what?

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
:stare: Wow. That breakdown... is delicious. Everything was coming up roses for von Karma, and to see the tables turned so utterly in pretty much the only way they could have... that's a really good climax. And if what NikkolasKing hypothesizes is true, and Manfred really didn't plan to do this... well, it doesn't really forgive his petty ruthlessness, but given that after that breakdown, that he just kinda stood up and said "OK take me in" as opposed to just fainting as if dead like the first two murderers- that does speak to a strength of character I wouldn't have ascribed to von Karma myself. So I guess it could be true.

But still, gently caress you von Karma and suck it!

And it was all with one little bullet. You done good, Maya. :unsmith:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

First off, I think it's important to point out that Von Karma did not hunt down Gregory Edgeworth with the intent to murder him. Von Karma comes off like an evil SOB and maybe he is but in this instance, can he be absolutely faulted? He was shot. He was obviously deleriouswith pain and anger and confusion. He did not have some methodical revenge plan.

Yeah, I couldn't help but notice that as well. He's definitely a horrible person, but I don't think he would've committed murder he hadn't basically been gift-wrapped the chance.

Green Intern posted:

Well yeah.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Green Intern posted:

Von Karma (and all other real culprits) still has the right to his own trial. This trial is for Edgeworth. Typically, the game doesn't cover the secondary trials of the real culprits.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Phoenix' defense creed wouldn't quite work in that case. He only defends innocent people. :v:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

NikkolasKing posted:

So now I can talk more freely.

And that's where Miles comes into this. I think the Manfred/Miles relationship is one of the most intriguing in the series. I don't believe Von Karma intended to do this to Edgeworth all along. I think it was Miles' losing those two cases that made Von Karma turn on him. If he had remained "perfect" I think he would have let everything remain as it was.

For those not in the know, Edgeworth has his own spinoff games. In the first one, you see more of his relationship with Manfred and I just can't honestly believe Von Karma was grooming him all these years just so he could take this fall. The man is evil but he was like a second father to Miles and seemed to take genuine pride in forging his "son" into a topnotch prosecutor.

Well, it was still a methodical revenge plan in that case, just one made over the course of half a year instead of one made over a decade and a half.

Also, I'd suspect it was a sense of guilt that even made him try to raise Edgeworth in the first place, as opposed to a weird sense of "ha ha, murdered you and stole your kid, I win after all". He's petty and psychotic, sure, but considering he left Yanni Yogi alone for fifteen years, probably not that petty and psychotic. The whole end of the case does seem a bit like a rush job after everything's said and done. He wouldn't have left the DL-6 incident evidence around for some bumbling defense attorney to find, and certainly wouldn't have dropped a crucial part of it, if he ever suspected it would be a threat to him.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Dirk the Average posted:

Von Karma (and all other real culprits) still has the right to his own trial. This trial is for Edgeworth. Typically, the game doesn't cover the secondary trials of the real culprits.

I was under the impression they meant whether von Karma was going to be sent to the detention center or not.

But yeah, like Dirk says, the secondary trials are usually only alluded to.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

Well, it was still a methodical revenge plan in that case, just one made over the course of half a year instead of one made over a decade and a half.

Also, I'd suspect it was a sense of guilt that even made him try to raise Edgeworth in the first place, as opposed to a weird sense of "ha ha, murdered you and stole your kid, I win after all". He's petty and psychotic, sure, but considering he left Yanni Yogi alone for fifteen years, probably not that petty and psychotic. The whole end of the case does seem a bit like a rush job after everything's said and done. He wouldn't have left the DL-6 incident evidence around for some bumbling defense attorney to find, and certainly wouldn't have dropped a crucial part of it, if he ever suspected it would be a threat to him.

This is very interesting! I tend to give Von Karma a bit more humanity than some others do but even I never thought he took Miles in out of guilt. It does make sense, though.

Manfred Von Karma is still one of my favorite characters in the whole series.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Mors Rattus posted:

: Who would have thought another man would have come to open that elevator door?

: Judge!
: Wh-what?
: What are you doing? Do your job! Bring an end to this miserable charade!
: Now! End it!
: V-very well.
This is another one of those moments I just love. He's just been utterly defeated, every single thing has come back to bite him all at once, and...he's still a dominating rear end in a top hat presence in the court.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Dirk the Average posted:

Yeah, this. They do acknowledge them sometimes though. In a couple of the games there's a few lines about how somebody is offscreen somewhere heading up the prosecution against the criminals you uncover during your defense trials.

Silver Falcon posted:

As amazing as this moment was, I kept waiting for Von Karma to point out that there's no way any kind of markings could survive so long inside someone's body. Like, they'd have to have been worn away by now, right? Yes, with all the ridiculous poo poo that happens in this game, THAT is what broke my suspension of disbelief. I don't know why.

It doesn't even matter whether the ballistic markers are still there or not. All that matters is that Von Karma thinks they are, and just confessed in court. Even if they aren't there he'd have a heck of a time explaining why there's a bullet in his shoulder at all. It doesn't sound like he has a backup explanation for it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

Yeah, this. They do acknowledge them sometimes though. In a couple of the games there's a few lines about how somebody is offscreen somewhere heading up the prosecution against the criminals you uncover during your defense trials.

It doesn't even matter whether the ballistic markers are still there or not. All that matters is that Von Karma thinks they are, and just confessed in court. Even if they aren't there he'd have a heck of a time explaining why there's a bullet in his shoulder at all. It doesn't sound like he has a backup explanation for it.

"I SHOT MYSELF IN THE SHOULDER! I was putting a case together to prosecute someone, and fabricated evidence to make it look like he murdered me!"

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Miles was molded into the man he was in 1-2 by Manfred specifically as a "gently caress YOU" to Gregory.

And still, Manfred somehow isn't the pettiest person in all of Ace Attorney.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

You guys have been real good, so you get a bonus today! I hope you're ready for it, because it's the end of the game.

...sort of.

Case 4 - Turnabout Goodbyes
Trial (Day 4) - Part 6

: Did you see his face!? von Karma looked even paler than usual!
: He's pretending to be all cool, but inside you crushed him, Nick! Crushed!
: I gotta say, I'm impressed.
: Heh... It was pretty close, though. I was sure we'd had it.
: I know, I was on the verge of tears the whole time, myself.
: But now it's all just a good memory!
: So, it's finally over, Edgeworth.
: ... Wright.
: Yeah?
: ... I... I'm not sure how to say this.
: I know! I know!
: Try "thank you."
: I... I see. ...
: Th-thank you, Wright.
: Y-you're welcome.
: I think you could have done better than that!
: Oof! S-sorry... I'm not good at this sort of thing.
: You got a lot to learn, Edgeworth!
: (Dear, dear...)

: Amazing, pal! You pulled through just like I thought you would! I'll never forget this! I owe you one, pal.
: And tonight, let's party! Dinner's on me!
: Yeah, my salary went down a bit this month...
: But who cares!
: See, Mr. Edgeworth? You should take a lesson from Detective Gumshoe!
: That's how you say "thank you"!
: Mmm. I... I see.
: *ahem*
: Whooooooooooooop! ...
: I... I feel foolish.
: Don't worry. Take it a little at a time. You'll get used to it.
: (It's been fifteen years since I've seen Edgeworth this... unguarded.)
: Hey, y'all!
: Lotta!
: Y'all were great in there!
: Thank you!

: Er... thank y'all very much.
: I knew you were innocent from the start, of course. Just look at you! You wouldn't stick your hand in the cookie jar even if no one was there!
: You... were the witness on the first day of the trial, weren't you.
: Yeah, well, let bygones be bygones, eh?
: Speaking of which, what are you doing now, Lotta?
: Who, me? Aww, I went back to college.
: I gave up trying to be an investigative photographer pretty quick.
: Really? That's too bad.
: Huh?
: ?
: Isn't that the hotdog guy from the park?
: It's over, Nick! My life is over!
: Wh-why the sad face, Larry!? What happened now!?
: Oh, Nick... I'm not long for this world.
: Uh... you don't look sick...
: It's Kiyance! Sh-she's goin' to live in Paris! Paris, Nick!
: She's leaving me behind!!!
: (Larry, Larry...)
: Yo, Edgey! There you are!
: Um, yes, here I am.

: Celebration? That's unusual for you.
: Harry Butz! You come along tonight too! My treat, pal!
" Huh? Uh... thanks! Looking forward to it!
: (Yo, yo, Nick! That's the suit that questioned me!)
: (When he says treat... that's not police-talk for prison food, right? Right?)
: Uh, I think you'll be fine, Larry.
: Wright...
: Yeah? What's up?

: Well, yeah. That's not that strange. People give money away to celebrate sometimes.
: It's $38.00, Wright.
: Huh. What a weird amount. I mean, it's not a little, but it's not a lot either. ... $38.00 exactly?
: N-N-Nick!
: Wasn't that exactly the amount of lunch money that was stolen Mr. Edgeworth in school!?
: $38...! No... No!!! Larry, it was you!!!
: What are you so surprised about, Wright?
: Larry was absent that day from school, right? But that doesn't automatically rule him out as a suspect.
: What?
: Think back to that day, fifteen years ago. Larry took the day off, but he was bored, he came in to school anyway.
: Then he saw the money lying there... and the rest is history.
: I never was good at History! Heh...
: ... Edgeworth... you didn't know, did you?
: I suspected. I just couldn't picture Larry protecting you like he did that day. Everyone else was saying you did it. The whole class was against you, remmeber?
: Yeah... too well.
: Wright, you may not know this, but we used to have a saying back in school. "When something smells, it's usually the Butz."
: I know, I know.
: Really, Wright. I'm surprised you didn't figure it out!
: Well, this is sure an unexpected turn of events, eh?
: Edgeworth...
: Hmm?
: You should have told me!
: Now, now, Nick. It was fifteen years ago!
: Don't you think the "statute of limitations" has run out, Mr. Edgeworth?
: I'd say so, yes.
: There you have it!
: Grr... Where does that leave me!? I became a defense attorney because of what you two did!
: Well, I'd call you a goody-two-shoes to the extreme.
: Yeah! And you get worked up too easily, too!
: D-death! The death sentence for both of you! Man, if I only had known, I'd have become a prosecutor!
: The same goes for me, only the other way around... For the longest time, I thought that I might have killed my own father. I thought I might be a criminal.
: I became a prosecutor in part to punish myself. If I had known the truth, I might have become a defense attorney after all.
: Edgeworth...
: Want to switch, Wright?
: Hey, y'all! Line up, I'll take a photo!
: Hey, photo time! Let's go!
: And after that, dinner on me!

: We celebrated Edgeworth's new found freedom. Although, Edgeworth was still in detention.

: My head hurts... Huh? It's still only 5:00. Maybe I should go back to sleep...

: (What's this? A letter?)

: You were really impressive yesterday. Seeing you...
: It made me think about what I'm doing here.
: I'm a spirit medium... in training, of course.
: I wanted to help Mr. Edgeworth too. I wanted to help you.
: But I couldn't. I was useless.
: So, I've decided to go back to my training. I'll become a full-fledged spirit medium, for starters.
: I couldn't say it to your face, so I left this letter.
: Goodbye, Nick.

: Gah! The first trains for the mountains have already left! To the station!

: I guess I'm too late... ...
: Hey! N-Nick!
: Maya!
: So... you're leaving?
: Yeah.
: It's hard being a spirit medium who can't talk to spirits. And... I think you'll do fine without me, Nick. Be good... okay!

She starts to leave.

: What?
: ... I never could have saved Edgeworth without your help.
: On the last day of the trial... I heard her. I heard Mia's voice!
: You heard my sister...?
: Yes... only her voice, but still... It was at the very end when I thought we'd lost everything.
: Well, that's my sister for you.
: Detective Gumshoe helped, and Mr. Grossberg, and even Larry...
: I'm the only one who couldn't help. I was useless, Nick.
: But you were the one who stopped von Karma, Maya!
: I-I didn't do anything!
: All I did was wander around in a daze...
: Sorry, but I have evidence that you helped!
: E-evidence?

: von Karma was convinced he had taken all of the evidence pertaining to DL-6! But you were the one who rescued the last piece of evidence we needed! This was the bullet that put an end to von Karma! And you were the one who gave it to me!
: Nick...
: Thanks, Maya. I couldn't have done it without you.
: ... ... I'll be back soon.
: I'm going to complete my training, and come back!
: ... Okay. I'll be waiting. ...
: Of course you will. You can't run that office by yourself! You're hopeless!

: Uh, I don't know about that...

The train whistles.

: So... bye.
: Bye.

and say goodbye to the novice defense attorney that I once was...
Now a new story begins...

(Click here to watch the credits sequence in video.)

: Mr. Wright. Perhaps you'd like to rethink that claim?
: Er... yes, Your Honor.
: (Uh oh... I got a bad feeling about this...)

: Talk about a pleasant surprise!

: Kind of like he was embarrassed or something. Strange, huh?

: Who, me? I've been working at a cheese shop!
: That Missy's a nice lady, but she not exactly what you'd call a "cheap date."
: Huh? Oh, she's in Hawaii right now, yeah...

: I hear he's been busy lately.
: You know, not to ring my own bell, but I sort of taught him everything he knows. I'm sure he's grateful.

: Ah! The defense attorney for whom I wrote that affidavit for, yes! Oh, you should know, I've taken over management of the Gatewater Hotel recently. Should you be in the area, please, stop by...

: Phoenix Wright? Ah yes, Mia's understudy, was he not? I wonder how he's doing. Haven't seen him of late... "Ahh... the days of my youth... like the scent of fresh lemon..." you see.

: Well, I'm not buying it! You can't be a star with a name like "Phoenix"!
: Did you know that they're finally putting some of Hammer's old movies out on DVD in one of them box set thingies that you can buy now-a-days and all
: not that I know what a "DVD" is or why they use three-letter words for just about
: everything these days how am I supposed to keep it all straight anyhow, hmm?

: I sure owe that Mr. Wright a great deal. *sniff* Oh, and I'm keeping my face out of the public eye till the show's over.
: I wouldn't want ot ruin any kids' dreams, y'know.

: It sounds like she caught a cold standing under a waterfall. I wanted to visit, but didn't have time, so I sent her some Pink Princess trading cards.
: She says she can't buy them where she is. What kind of place is she living at anyway?

: But... you know. I snuck into the studio the other day. And I saw her... the one inside the Pink Princess suit!
: Ugh! What a dog! It was kind of a shock for a boy of my tender age.

: Huh, me? I'm in training to become an paranormal photographer!
: You know that picture I took of everyone? Well, just behind them there's a ghost!
: For real! Now that's talent! I'm gonna be famous!

This was, in the original Japanese GBA release, where the game ended. However...

In the DS rerelease (and first English release) it isn't. They added a bonus case, taking place two months after Case 4 has ended.

Next time: Rise From The Ashes

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 21, 2016

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

I liked Case 5 the best out of this group. Excited to see it again.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

: See, Mr. Edgeworth? You should take a lesson from Detective Gumshoe!
: That's how you say "thank you"!
: Mmm. I... I see.
: *ahem*
: Whooooooooooooop! ...
: I... I feel foolish.
: Don't worry. Take it a little at a time. You'll get used to it.

All right, all right, I give up... Edgeworth is indeed the best. :allears:

And the best is yet to come, you say? I really liked this case, so yeah, I'm excited!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Some time, incidentally, is two months. Case 5 takes place two months after Case 4. (This has been edited in above.)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Trivia: Rise From The Ashes is the only case in the main series that does not have the idiosyncratic use of "Turnabout" in its name. This is not true in the Japanese version, where it is called Yomigaeru Gyakuten, or "Turnabout Revival," which is the subtitle of the Japanese DS release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

quote:

I wouldn't want ot ruin any kids' dreams, y'know.

Will Powers is such a sweet heart. :3:

• Locked thread