Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal

Mors Rattus posted:

: Well, this trial has gone on far too long already. Regarding the charge of murder,
: this court finds the defendant, Ms. Lana Skye...

I wonder if that was an intentional reference from the developers/translators once they realised what a behemoth this case was.

Either way, I do not envy you, OP, for this undertaking. Thanks for continuing the LP despite the best effort of all the game's many, many :words:

I can't believe there's STILL more to go in this case...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

WFGuy posted:

I can't believe there's STILL more to go in this case...

Just the ending credits, if I'm not mistaken.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Rise from the Ashes is definitely a slow burn, but I definitely think the best thing the series has done is go away from the third day. All the crazy stuff happens in two trial days now.

Are you doing JFA? that's the game if you want to see high highs and low lows

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Don't go watching the Ace Attorney anime to see Rise from the Ashes. It just doesn't exist there.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

IAmTheRad posted:

Don't go watching the Ace Attorney anime to see Rise from the Ashes. It just doesn't exist there.

To be fair, I can't really imagine them translating this behemoth of a case into 3-4 episodes.

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012
It seems more like a separate feature-length OVA, anyway.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So which is longer, in update terms? Rise From The Ashes, or the entire rest of the game?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Case 1 - 4: 60 Updates

Case 5: 45 Updates

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Now let it sink in that the final cases for some of the most recent games could be considered to be just as long (if not longer) than this one. :v:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Regalingualius posted:

Now let it sink in that the final cases for some of the most recent games could be considered to be just as long (if not longer) than this one. :v:

Though a lot more happens in them than here.
And they are the culmination of their respecrive games in all ways.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Most of Angel Starr, almost everything with Neil Marshal, and absolutely everything with Meekins could have been cut from this.

Ending payoff was still pretty good.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Well, not Neil, but... um the other one. Jake? Neil was the one who died, after all, not much he can do.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Cutting Jake Marshal? They shoot you for that in Texas. Jake is in the game to serve as a parallel for another character, and that's pretty much it.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

resurgam40 posted:

Well, not Neil, but... um the other one. Jake? Neil was the one who died, after all, not much he can do.

Yeah that guy. Good ol' whatshisface.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Regalingualius posted:

Yeah but they're the climax of their games, as opposed to this which is a reeeeeally long post script.

I still enjoyed it, and Ema is a great character. But yeah, far too long.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Case 5 - Rise From the Ashes
Trial (Day 4) - Part 14

First up, here's a video of the credits. Now, let's check in on our characters with the credits.

: She's a coroner. I think Ema will be pleased.
: As for me, this affair has pretty much ended my days at the Prosecutor's Office.
: Still, I'll manage to find my way back to the field somehow.
: Then I'll be able to investigate crimes together with Ema.

: they overlooked my unauthorized investigation of the Chief's office.
: "If we penalized you any more, it'd be worse than firing you!"
: Yep. That's what they said.
: It just goes to show...
: You can't shake me off that easily!

: Can you believe it!? I've been demoted to a security guard!
: My partner's keeping an eye on the entrance for me today.
: I'll show them, though! Someday I'm going to make detective!
: Yes sir! Then I can be just like that Dick Gumshoe!

: Miss Starr managed to sneak this in to me. She's seeing one of the guards it seems.
: Well, cowboy... It looks like you did it. You even gave Bambina back her smile.
: Can you make sure Billy and the gang get their water?

: The top layer tastes as bitter as defeat, btu the bottom layer's as sweet as victory. Kids seem to dig the turnabout theme. It's a hot seller around exam time!
: Just make sure not to eat it backwards!

: Let's see, what was his name again?
: Mr. Left...?
: Anyway,
: he said he's been doing, er, something or other for,
: uh... how many years...?
: Well anyway!
: I've got another trial to get to, so I'd better be...
: Huh? Oh no! I forgot my gavel!
: Sorry, gotta go!

: Still, sometimes I do miss hearing Nick and his "objections"...
: Still, I can't go back until
: I'm a full-fledged spirit medium!
: Maya! Afternoon training's about to begin!
: Coming!!!
: Well,
: see you around Nick!

: I brought you your tea... ...

: I can't believe I'm going to Europe.
: Thank you, Mr. Wright!
: Thank you so much for everything!!!
: I'm a little sad,
: but I'll be all right!

The End.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Hats of to Mors for finally breaking the Ace Attorney LP curse!

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Congrats on finishing the first game. I'm somewhat surprised you didn't show the fingerprinting art that happens on the bottom screen during the credits.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It's cool but if you want to see it you can watch the video.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

:( to the bellboy's scene.

Are you planning on doing the other games eventually still, or was this just too much work to do again? Either way, this was a fantastic LP!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I have no plans to stop.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
Oh, good, then everyone can experience the upcoming cases together.

Aha! Aha! Aha! Aha! Aha! Aha! Aha! Aha!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Thanks for the LP. I hope you'll leave a link to the JFA LP here when you start it up.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Thanks for the LP. I hope you'll leave a link to the JFA LP here when you start it up.

I was under the impression that this would be a megathread :confused:

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.
Well I'm glad that you managed to turnabout the first game! Great LP, and I certainly have no objection to you continuing to play these games. I just hope you don't hold it too long before cracking onto the next one.

I'm so sorry.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

KataraniSword posted:

I was under the impression that this would be a megathread :confused:

If we don't switch over to a new thread, it might never be added to the lparchives.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

MightyPretenders posted:

If we don't switch over to a new thread, it might never be added to the lparchives.

Oh, there are megathreads in the archive. I think it just has to be the same series.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

hopeandjoy posted:

Oh, there are megathreads in the archive. I think it just has to be the same series.

I think the goon's concern is that the series LP will never be finished, and thus, never get archived.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I plan to go to a new thread, probably in the next week or two, because if I do all the games in the one thread the OP will become unwieldy at best. Plus then I don't have to bug anyone for thread namechanges.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Kid Ema :3:

Well done Mors, looking forward to the second game!

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Like others have said, congratulations on breaking the Phoenix Wright LP curse. It's been a good thread, mostly for watching audience reactions since I remembered the majority of the cases, but I've probably forgotten more from the upcoming games...

Nephrite posted:

Oh, good, then everyone can experience the upcoming cases together.

Aha! Aha! Aha! Aha! Aha! Aha! Aha! Aha!

But of course, some things can never be forgotten. No matter how hard one tries.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Thanks for this LP! It was cool seeing this game again, I should replay it sometime.

(I had completely forgotten about everything in the final case, except for Gant being the culprit and the motivation. It's amazing.)

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Congrats on finishing! Can't wait to see what the other games have in store, I only got partway through the first case of JFA before the emulator decided that retaining save data was a bad idea.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I would say if you are going to play the other games, make them each their own thread.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
So was Darke actually a serial killer or not?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

With two counts each of Perjury and Conspiracy To Pervert The Course of Justice Lana is going away for what... five years? Anyone have an idea what that'd be worth in Japan and/or America?

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I think it was stated that Dark was definitely the serial killer. He was just too... competent I guess to leave evidence until they forged it.

Also loved this LP and will be watching for the next thread. Good job Mors

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Polaron posted:

So was Darke actually a serial killer or not?

Yes he was, the Japanifornia Justice Squad was just so incompetent that they could establish he was a spree killer but not have any evidence that would convict him.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

In real Japan, aren't you guilty because innocent cases never reach the courts, and guilty until proven innocent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

Yes he was, the Japanifornia Justice Squad was just so incompetent that they could establish he was a spree killer but not have any evidence that would convict him.

To be fair, he did kill all his witnesses.

• Locked thread