Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

If my memory is serving me correctly, California has a problem with people stealing palm trees and cacti - literally poaching them from either public places or private property. The plant law could be covering that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think your theory is mostly correct, but that she bought the clock as a souvenir in Paris (where it was set to local time) and hadn't set it to Japanifornian time yet. I mean Rodin is a french sculptor. Maybe she got it at the Louvre. Why would you take a clock on holiday with you?

I thought of that, but rejected that theory because the clock appears to speak English, not French -- which made me think she got it in America and took it to France with her. Though why she'd take a heavy thing like that when you only get so much baggage weight allowance on planes is, well, kind of silly. Maybe it had sentimental value to her? At any rate, it's not out of the question that the a kitschy statue-clock made for tourists would speak English rather than French, so your theory has merit. It's just a matter of which of two slightly-implausible things happened: either she bought a speaking clock in France but it speaks English, or else she took a heavy object with her on the plane even though it would mean she'd have less luggage allowance for necessary stuff like clothing.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

citybeatnik posted:

If my memory is serving me correctly, California has a problem with people stealing palm trees and cacti - literally poaching them from either public places or private property. The plant law could be covering that.

...Who the gently caress steals a cactus?

And nice to see this getting a proper start. Here's to hoping you won't burn out.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I've been building up a real solid backlog pretty steadily, so I'm confident.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Regalingualius posted:

And nice to see this getting a proper start. Here's to hoping you won't burn out.

Sequoia cacti can fetch a high price from landscape folks trying to add value to the properties they're trying to flip, same as palm trees. Hell, palm trees can fetch more and cities like LA planted them in the 50s as a marketing and beautification project so you can just roll up and steal them and pocket ten large.

99% Invisible has an episode devoted to it if i remember right.

Also, some of the dumber laws out there (such as the one where if two trains are running towards one another on the same track, they both have to stop to let tye other pass) were typically tacked on to legislative bills to make people not want to vote for the rest of it. The common refrain was "no, that's stupid we're passing this thjng", so they're on the books but never enforced.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Regalingualius posted:

Some people just really like spiky desert plants I guess. It's enough of a problem that some states implant ID chips into their cacti as a deterrent. No, really

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
People steal the weirdest poo poo. We had someone break into my grandma's car and steal her ashtray.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I once had someone steal a greek textbook out of my backpack. They left the backpack and everything else, just took that one intro textbook.

It was inexplicable.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Textbooks are a common target for theft, actually; while not very portable, it's pretty easy to get away with snagging one and hiding it in plain sight on the average campus, and a LOT of less scrupulous textbook dealers don't even blink at someone dropping several hundred dollars of coursebooks in their lap while accepting steep markdown in order to get paid in cash.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
While we're still on the subject of random stuff being stolen, I once ordered a number of tennis shoe key-chains online for an art project. The envelope package arrived torn in half, attached from a note from the post office saying that the package arrived like that. So I have to assume that someone really wanted those key-chains for whatever reason. :raise:

But back to subject on the LP, it's looking very promising so far and I'm enjoying the side commentary as well.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

citybeatnik posted:

Sequoia cacti

I think you mean Saguaro. Aren't they generally only found in Arizona and Mexico anyway?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Green Intern posted:

I think you mean Saguaro. Aren't they generally only found in Arizona and Mexico anyway?

That's the one. Combination of phone and drunk posting.

I -think- what I was getting at with them is that they're used in decorative landscaping in California, only to have people roll up and steal them again. But I think I was primarily thinking of them doing that to the palm trees.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I love that he's basically reduced to demanding why a clock might be set to the wrong time. Clocks can be set to whatever time you want, man.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yup. It's the first case of the entire series, and we're already dealing with the real culprit in danger of getting off on the flimsiest reasons.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Not related to the question at hand, but for the benefit of anyone else who's bad with puns: we have a witness called Frank Sahwit.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Glazius posted:

I love that he's basically reduced to demanding why a clock might be set to the wrong time. Clocks can be set to whatever time you want, man.

It's especially bullshit because that's evidence. He's either accusing the police or himself of manipulating it, since from his testimony nobody entered the apartment after the murder.

"Oh no the evil lawyer infiltrated the police department Metal Gear style and changed the clock's settings"

Omobono fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 14, 2016

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Does no one is Japanifornia dust for fingerprints on murder weapons?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Ah, the first of many, many wonderful breakdowns. :allears:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

paragon1 posted:

Does no one is Japanifornia dust for fingerprints on murder weapons?

The culprit was wearing gloves.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Mraagvpeine posted:

The culprit was wearing gloves.

So he was. :downs:

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012

theshim posted:

Really, all of Phoenix Wright is a testimony to how much you can do with text-beeps, screen-shaking, and some really, really good music and writing. The breakdowns are always amazing, and form an excellent peak to the crescendo the music gives you as you realize "I've got you now, you little poo poo". That's why I rarely have a problem with the trial continuing for the flimsiest of reasons, because I know that it's just going to make the next breakdown even more severe, and even more enjoyable.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

theshim posted:

And they never, ever, get old. There are obviously better and worse ones, but even the absolute worst one is a simply magical moment.

:feelsgood: is what I'm saying.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Hey op, this seems like a cool lp and I'm looking forward to seeing what the deal is with these games.

However, that first page is really image heavy and my browser kept choking up as I scrolled through all the gifs. Maybe only animate them when something interesting happens?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I'll see if I can do anything about that. Part of it, of ocurse, is that we got three whole updates on that page.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
I feel like the animation is sort of important to the game, so I'd rather keep the animation how it is and spread out the updates to only 1-2 per page?

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
If you're using Firefox, turn off smooth scrolling. That helps for both gifs and less animated pictures, I've found.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Case 1 - the First Turnabout
Part 4

We left off about to seal Frank Sahwit's fate.

: As we all know, the time difference between here and Paris is nine hours! When it's 4:00 PM here, it's 1:00 AM the next day there.
: The clock wasn't three hours slow, it was nine hours fast!

: That's why the time you heard when you struck her dead in her apartment was wrong!

: O-order! Order, I say!

There is a brief fade to black.

: Well... This case has certainly turned out differently than we all expected.
: Mr. Payne... your client?
: He... er... he was arrested and has been taken away, Your Honor.
: Very well.
: Mr. Wright?
: Yes, Your Honor.
: I have to say, I'm impressed. I don't think I've ever seen someone complete a defense so quickly... and find the true culprit at the same time!
: Thank you, Your Honor.
: At this point, this is only a formality, but... This court finds the defendant, Mr. Larry Butz...

: And with that... The court is adjourned.

Fade to black.

: It turns out that Frank Sahwit was a common burglar! He posed as a newspaper salesman to check and see when people were out of the house! That day...

: After he left, Mr. Sahwit let himself in to do his dirty work!

: Flustered, Mr. Sahwit grabbed the nearest blunt object he could find...

: Wright! Good job in there! Congratulations!
: Th-thanks, Chief. I owe it all to you.
: Not at all, not at all! You fought your own battles in there. It's been a while since I've seen a trial end on such a satisfying note!
: (I've never seen the chief looking this happy... If she's this glad, imagine how Larry must feel!)

: Larry! You're supposed to be happy! What's wrong now!?
: Aww, Nick...
: Don't worry 'bout me! I'll be dead and gone soon!
: Good! Wait, no! I mean... Bad! Bad bad bad! Larry, you're innocent! The case is closed.
: ... But... but my Cindy-windy's gone, man! Gone forever!
: (Larry, she was a... Nah... Never mind...)

: H-Harry...?
: Yes, you! I can practically see the headlines now: "Harry Butz, Innocent!"

: I won't forget this, ever! Let's celebrate! Dinner? Movie? My treat!
: Oh, no, I couldn't.
: (Hey, I was the one who got you off the hook!)
: Oh, hey!

: A present? For me? Wait... Wasn't this the evidence that...
: Actually, I made this clock for her! I made one for her and one for me.
: R-really? You? You made this? ...
: Well, thank you. I'll keep it as a memento.

: Can you believe it? I was so into that chick... And... and she was just playing me for a fool!
: Doesn't that make you wanna just cry? *sob*
: Larry...
: ...
: Are you sure?
: Ex-squeeze me?
: I think she thought quite a lot of you, in her own way.
: Nah, you don't gotta sympathize with me, 'sokay.
: Oh, I'm not just sympathizing, really.
: Isn't that right, Wright? Don't you have something to show your friend? Something that proves how she felt about him?
: H-huh? Oh, yeah, right!

: Huh...? Where'd you get that clock?
: This is the clock you made for her, Larry! She took it with her when she traveled.
: Hmm, she probably just needed a clock, that's all.
: You think so? It's a pretty heavy clock to take traveling.
: ...
: Well, make of it what you will.
: ... Hey, Nick.
: I'm glad I asked you to be my lawyer.
: Really, I am. Thanks.
: (Hope that made him feel a little better...)

: I hope you see the importance of evidence now. Also, hopefully you realize, things change depending on how you look at them. People, too. We never really know if our clients are guilty or innocent. All we can do is believe in them. And in order to believe in them, you have to believe in yourself. Wright... Listen. Learn. Grow strong. Never let go of what you believe in. Never.

: Yeah, I guess so!
: Say, how about dinner. On me? We'll drink a toast to innocent Butz!
: Yeah!
: Oh, speaking of Harry...
: You were saying part of why you became a lawyer was because of him.
: Er, yeah. Part, at least.
: You'll have to tell me more about it sometime! Maybe... over drinks?

: Larry slapped me on the back and said, "Gee, Nick, it's good to have friends!" But I'm pretty sure he's not going to pay me. Unless you count the clock he gave Mia. ... I didn't know it then... but that clock was soon going to be at the center of another incident. And my promise to tell the chief about me and Larry... would be one promise that I wouldn't be able to keep.

Next time: Turnabout Sisters

California Penal Code, subsections 844-45 posted:

To make an arrest, a private person, if the offense is a felony, and in all cases a peace officer, may break open the door or window of the house in which the person to be arrested is, or in which they have reasonable grounds for believing the person to be, after having demanded admittance and explained the purpose for which admittance is desired.

Any person who has lawfully entered a house for the purpose of making an arrest, may break open the door or window thereof if detained therein, when necessary for the purpose of liberating himself, and any officer may do the same, when necessary for the purpose of liberating a person who, acting in his aid, lawfully entered for the purpose of making an arrest, and is detained therein.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Cornered is basically the best.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I gotta admit, this does feel like a good first case to break people into the series. Aside from the introduction scene and general tutorial stuff, it doesn't hold your hand much in order to let you puzzle out the solution for yourself. Which makes those scenes where you've got the culprit on the ropes all the sweeter.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
Ohhh, it was the victim's passport. I thought it was Larry's, that she was using it to keep track of his time to speak to him.

Yeah, that's a nice first case. And an innocent verdict, finding the killer, having a toupee thrown at you, and seeing the killer froth at the mouth like he just took TV cyanide - if that's where the escalation starts, then I'm definitely eager for more. Just how deep is this rabbit hole?

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.

Night10194 posted:

Cornered is basically the best.

It also gave us, quite frankly, the best Smooth McGroove cover he's done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALhAXtFR1LM

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

WFGuy posted:

Ohhh, it was the victim's passport. I thought it was Larry's, that she was using it to keep track of his time to speak to him.

Yeah, that's a nice first case. And an innocent verdict, finding the killer, having a toupee thrown at you, and seeing the killer froth at the mouth like he just took TV cyanide - if that's where the escalation starts, then I'm definitely eager for more. Just how deep is this rabbit hole?
This case is the simplest, tamest case in the entire series, and I mean that in every way.

It's kind of the best. :getin:

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

WFGuy posted:

The start of the second case is what initially hooked me on the series. Stay strapped in for this ride. :getin:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Oh hey, the clock wasn't a souvenir from France.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

WFGuy posted:

Deep.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
So do you guys think Japanifornian courts hire a person specifically for throwing the confetti or they just hand it out to the audience?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

WFGuy posted:

:getin:
We have such sights to show you. We're still missing the best characters too (every character is best character)(ok, maybe not the culprits)(every recurring character is best character)

E: list of best characters so far, in no particular order
Nick
Mia
The Judge
Larry
Payne

Omobono fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 16, 2016

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
There's actually one person who does the confetti. It's his hobby.

This is canon.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Omobono posted:

:getin:
We have such sights to show you. We're still missing the best characters too (every character is best character)(ok, maybe not the culprits)(every recurring character is best character)

E: list of best characters so far, in no particular order
Nick
Mia
The Judge
Larry
Payne
The games big strength is that the characters have a lot of character. Heck, I only dislike Larry because if he shows up I just know he's going to complicate things somehow (even then it's more of a 'DANGIT LARRY' moment.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Zero Suit Ridley posted:

There's actually one person who does the confetti. It's his hobby.

This is canon.

I thought you were making this up until I looked it up just now :swoon:

I've played through the original trilogy so I won't be speculating with y'all. I love this series, and I'm looking forward to following this LP for some time to come.

• Locked thread