Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

I've always imagined him being voiced by Patrick Warburton

Eh, Warburton's too smooth. We either need a Fred Flintstone type, or if we want downtrodden the brother from Everyone Loves Raymond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
The parrot did it. Book 'em, Gumshoe. :bustem:

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Uncle Phil might not be the sharpest tool in the drawer, but gently caress with him too much and he'll smack your rear end down.

And no I don't know what his canon name is and I don't care it's Uncle Phil and always will be.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
ARREST THE loving :parrot: ALREADY GUMSHOE YOU KNOW IT'S GUILTY AS gently caress

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
"Your honor, if someone needs three tries to shoot someone from a meter away, can it really be considered murder and not an act of God?"

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Regalingualius posted:

No, it's mentioned that the police hired her back in case 2.

As for why? They presumably didn't have any airtight proof that Yogi did it. Somehow. Despite him and Miles being the only other two people in the elevator, and they're obviously not going to consider that a little kid killed his own father.

Japanifornia police's refusal to consider children or birds murderers is a black mark against them.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

KataraniSword posted:

People in this very thread were quite ready to charge a parrot with the same. :v:

That bird is guilty as a motherfucker and now that we've got it on the stand were gonna get a confession out of it and turn it into a crispy eight-piece.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Okay here's what happened.

1: the :parrot: caused the earthquake, which certainly killed thousands.

2: The :parrot: flew in from the open hole in the elevator roof because there's always a vent or something in elevators.

3: The :parrot: picked up the gun and busted a cap in Papa Edgeworth, using its beak so that's why there's no fingerprints on it.

4: The :parrot: then flew away, free to kill again and again.

I've solved it, get the chair ready Gumshoe, we're having blackened bird tonight.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Air is lava! posted:

I'm a bit confused right now. Was the whole "Murder Edgeworth and blame it on his son 15 years later" a spur of the moment plan? Von Karma doesn't really seem like the spontaneous type. On the other hand, as far as I remember, it relied on a earthquake. Did he cause an earthquake? :tinfoil:

Don't be ridiculous. von Karma is only a man, he can't cause an earthquake.

Now that loving :parrot: on the other hand, that's who we can't let off the hook.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Edgeworth seems more like a Rolls or Maybach kind of guy, who'd scoff at someone in a Lexus thinking they big time.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

ManicVolcanic posted:

The way I remember it, the line meant that no other regular defense attorneys would take on his case, and I recall there being a few lines about Phoenix and Maya needing to convince Edgeworth to be their client quickly or else he would be appointed an attorney that wouldn't put up a fight.

Theoretically, and if this was taking place irl, couldn't Edgeworth simply invoke his right to defend himself, and then do a crap job? Unless the judge declared Edgeworth mentally unfit to defend himself, and Uncle Phil's in no position to do that, Edgeworth isn't actually required to have counsel representing him, but that it is readily available so should he desire and/or be unable to secure it on his own.

Then again, in Japanofornia everything may go inside of a courtroom except not having a lawyer, which is the one sin that will not be forgiven, or something.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Aerdan posted:

Even in the US you can't skip trial proceedings just because the perpetrator confessed to the crime, since among other things the sentencing remains to be seen...and there may have been mitigating factors that affect the charges filed and whether the crime was justified or not, and so on.

Really, in the U.S. you're all but expected to plead Not Guilty at first, so you can have your right to a speedy and fair trial. To do so otherwise would be looked upon as your attorney failing to do their job of defending you, and would raise questions about your mental competency to stand trial.

If you're wondering "where would this ever be a thing", I would like to present to you the American South.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Night10194 posted:

Wait. Perjury exists in this world.

Why is every witness not in prison.

Uncle Phil is a kind and forgiving judge.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

KataraniSword posted:

Meaning that either something's being covered up, or the Double Goodman Murder was a red herring to somehow try to throw the trial into confusion.

You ever hear the phrase "kill someone, dig them back up, and kill them again"?

Well.......

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Stephen9001 posted:

To be fair, Cowboys are closest thing america has to Samurai, just as most of us over here in Europe have Knights.

I'm a ronin
On a steel horse I riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Cerebral Bore posted:

So how is Meekins supposed to have murdered the victim while unconscious?

Edgeworth murdered a man while passing out so it's very doable.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

It should perhaps be remembered that Jake Marshall is explicitly from SoCal and not Texas.

He also may or may not be insane.

e - personally I'm leaning towards yes

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Regalingualius posted:

"loving hell WHY WON'T YOU STOP DYING?!" -Joe Darke after his 5th murder in one hour

It'd be even better if they were all accidents as well, or just manslaughter. Hit a jaywalker which kills him, lady who sees the accident has a heart attack and dies, kid skateboarding on by tries to avoid the lady and falls/breaks his neck, jogger falls into the open grave, etc...

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Haifisch posted:

And a lovely password. Having it be all one number is as bad as making it his birthday or something.

Considering von Karma's ATM code password security isn't a priority in Japanifornia.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Funky Valentine posted:

The series gradually paints a picture of Japanifornia that becomes batshit horrifying.

The fact that apparently half the police department is involved in a murder as either a victim or murderer is just the tip of the iceberg.

And the other half is Gumshoe/Meekins!

I was going to add the Blue Badger to that list but you know that motherfucker has bloodlust in it's heart.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I told you that Blue Badger motherfucker had bloodlust in its heart. :bustem:

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Japanifornia: where the laws are made up and the intent doesn't matter.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
The only bit of good news for Ema is that this isn't the trial for the murder of Neil Marshall, but of Bruce Goodman, so Ema's trial will be an entirely different travesty of justice. Hopefully she can find a decent defense attorney for that trial, whether it involves having to dig up Mia or not.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Tenebrais posted:

Wouldn't the Marshall case be closed by the following day anyway? That's what triggered this whole incident.

Wrongful convictions can be overturned, even if the convicted is long dead. Besides I'm sure Japanifornia's bloodlust allows them to use trial and error in convictions, gotta crack a few eggs to make an justice omelet.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Well the biggest thing right now is how would he know if it was a forgery if he just got there? For all he knows there's a manpile with a knife sticking out of it and the Skye's in the corner, so how does he know the crime scene's been manipulated?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Whole buncha people questioning Uncle Phil's integrity in this thread.

Whole buncha people gonna take a one-way express trip out the front door.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
So if I've got the sequence of events correct...

-Darke escapes, goes into Ema's room, Neil Marshall follows. This doesn't seem to be in dispute.
-Darke gets knocked out by Ema, but Marshall somehow dies, I guess by Ema pushing him into the statue?
-Gant arrives on the scene, manipulates evidence, leaves?
-Lana arrives on the scene, manipulates the manipulated evidence?
-Gant re-arrives on the scene, helping Lana manipulate the manipulated evidence?

If that's right, how did Gant get in and out of the room before Lana arrived? Is he blackmailing Lana into covering up a crime according to the way that he arranged it? How can I pin this one on that guilty-rear end :parrot: who escaped the deep fryer of justice the last time around?

e - fixed the Darke/Marshall second point

C. Everett Koop fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 19, 2017

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

ultrabindu posted:

Darke goes into the shared office of Lana and Gant, where Ema is waiting.
Darke is knocked out, later convicted of Marshall's murder and then executed for it.

Screwed up Darke/Marshall in my second point, fixed what I meant.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Great news! We finally got the Chief for murder! If only it was for the murder of the person who's trial we're actually in the process of!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Glazius posted:

I'm still wondering why Gant did this? Just personal ambition? Didn't want Marshall to get the credit for catching Joe Darke, the guy who totally murdered all those people we just have no evidence?

From what he's said, he somehow saw a chance to cement his ascension to Chief of Police, install a blackmailed puppet as Head of Prosecutors, and take out a pesky thorn in his side, all at the same time in a split-second decision.

Makes you wonder if Darke really escaped on his own...:tinfoil:

• Locked thread